• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2014 (May 26 - Jun 01)

Replicant

BZXSq3B.gif

I'm cackling. These last few days pre E3 has been good for GIF creativity.

"One game can change everything" (Iwata dixit) but it will not definitely be Mario Kart 8 lol

EHE HE HE.

zeromcd73

They bought it purely out of hype!

Inb4 another MC thread turned into a debate about what sold the PS4 in the west. When in reality it was a combination of everything that sold the PS4 in the west.

It wouldn't be suprising judging by software sales (even the digital ones). Japan either purchased the PS4 for the free copy of Knack or on hype for future games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And it also extend the prognosis to the entire traditional japanese gaming industry imho.....

We're getting pretty close now.

That said both Puzzle & Dragons and Quiz RPG have now reached 20%+ of the Japanese population.

Pretty solid interest levels!

maxcriden

Cross post from the last thread: I think an NFC game based around Pokemon/Yokai Watch/something similar could possibly help the Wii U recover, although at this point 'recover' means selling at 3DS levels, which aren't great right now either.

The Wii U might be my favorite Nintendo console ever. But even with Filsamechs handing out free Pokemon toys and 50% off coupons for the purchase of a console, I can't see it reaching 3ds numbers.

JoeM86

Cross post from the last thread: I think an NFC game based around Pokemon/Yokai Watch/something similar could possibly help the Wii U recover, although at this point 'recover' means selling at 3DS levels, which aren't great right now either.

Even though I am vehemently against the idea of a home console RPG Pokémon game, I would happily accept it if it is to help Nintendo bring the Wii U around.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Japanese development has turned to shit with the HD transition and the massive jump in costs it takes to make the games.

Fixed that up for ya.

The HD consoles and the price of development seems to have priced the Japanese developers out of making products for it. Especially products the Worldwide market want (high budget, AAA stuff).

Sad times.

orioto

Good Art™
About how to save Japan, i really think they need new, and modern (meaning fitting to our new phone focused world) portable systems.

I'll say it again. Releasing a PS3 tablet, compatible with the online catalog, with some games available as flash cards in stores would do wonders, and bring a second life to the console.

The portable market has to freshen and evolve real quick. Lots of things are possible nowadays.

If the Vita was really a PS3, and had a 7" screen, and all PS3 rpgs and bandai games from the start...

Same for Nintendo of course, hurry and release a WiiU compatible portable (of course it would be less powerful but could maybe run the games at a lower rez). Call it a UDS if you want lol. The benefits are huge, like a new Monster Hunter / Pokemon / Animal Crossing being simultaneously on both.

Orgen

Curious about two things:

New Wii U baseline: 15.000 (not so bad), 10.000 (meh), 6.000 (mariokartdidnothing)?
PS4 HW numbers when the first big japanese title lands (Final Fantasy XV? KH III? Resident Evil 7?)

Bad numbers for Wii U HW but I still believe that Mario Kart 8 will be a million seller :D

"One game can change everything" (Iwata dixit) but it will not definitely be Mario Kart 8 lol
Monsterhunter did that to PSP in Japan so he's not %100 wrong, but in Nintendo's situation its the hardware that the people dislike and thats what Iwata need to acknowledge . PSP was a good hardware for its time.

Takao

Banned

Disney is a hot thing in Japan, but I don't ever recall Infinity charting. I'm not sure NFC will be Wii U's saviour.

RiggyRob

The Wii U might be my favorite Nintendo console ever. But even with Filsamechs handing out free Pokemon toys and 50% off coupons for the purchase of a console, I can't see it reaching 3ds numbers.

I don't mean LTD sales, rather weekly. The Wii U isn't going to reach 20m LTD at this rate.

Edit:
Disney is a hot thing in Japan, but I don't ever recall Infinity charting. I'm not sure NFC will be Wii U's saviour.

Is it really? I wouldn't have thought it was, maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, something specifically tailored to a Japanese audience could do well IMO.

Scum

We're getting pretty close now.

That said both Puzzle & Dragons and Quiz RPG have now reached 20%+ of the Japanese population.

Pretty solid interest levels!

The 3DS can't really run many of the mobile engines out and about for these types of games, can it? NCL need to really conjure up a piece of kit that last the entire gen, tech wise.

L Thammy

It wouldn't be suprising judging by software sales (even the digital ones). Japan either purchased the PS4 for the free copy of Knack or on hype for future games.

Most of the PS4's hardware sales in Japan were in the first few weeks. It's pretty safe to say that people weren't buying it for the present.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The 3DS can't really run many of the mobile engines out and about for these types of games, can it? NCL need to really conjure up a piece of kit that last the entire gen, tech wise.

Well P&D and Quiz RPG are pretty basic so it should be feasible to at least rebuild things fairly quickly.

That said, when you already hit 28 and 26 million installs and rising rapidly respectively, the incentive to hurry over to 3DS isn't astronomical, even if P&D eventually did.

It's like f2p games and the PS4. Some come over, but they're not in a huge rush.

random25

Curious about two things:

New Wii U baseline: 15.000 (not so bad), 10.000 (meh), 6.000 (mariokartdidnothing)?
PS4 HW numbers when the first big japanese title lands (Final Fantasy XV? KH III? Resident Evil 7?)

Bad numbers for Wii U HW but I still believe that Mario Kart 8 will be a million seller :D

Basically this. Wii U just needs to sustain 10k-15k+ sales from MK8 release. Just hold up Wii U pls...

I'm glad we've reached the conclusion that no game can ever save the Wii U based off of Japanese hardware sales for the week where MK was only out for 4 days (a country where the console market is so weak even PS4 is pulling 6.5k a week). We don't even know what US and EU HW sales look like, arbitrary devilish percents asides. Yes I expected a bigger bump but come on, we don't have the whole picture yet.

Oersted

Course not. You can't trash the man if you use the full quote :p

Seriously though, many news outlets did just take the first part of that quote and rolled with the "'One game can change everything' - says Iwata" story. That's why so many people think he was counting on it to do that.

You can :p . Not on the wrong quote, but seing how much the MK bundle contributed to the bump in the rest of the world, it would have been wise to do it in Japan. Well, maybe later when Holidays are starting.

Bruno MB

Wii U sales spikes during non-holiday periods:

Code:
[B]Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)[/B]

[WIU] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.30} (¥6.980) - 36.454 / NEW 
[WIU] Game & Wario <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.03.28} (¥4.935) - 23.995 / NEW 

Wii U - 21.502 (10.172)

[B]Famitsu Sales: Week 28, 2013 (Jul 08 - Jul 14)[/B]

[WIU] Pikmin 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥5.985) - 102.188 / NEW 

Wii U - 20.728 (6.380)

[B]Famitsu Sales: Week 44, 2013 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)[/B]

[WIU] Wii Party U # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥4.935) - 79.715 / NEW
[WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) - 38.936 / 595.161
[WIU] Wii Fit U [Wii U Family Premium Set Black/White] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥34.800) - 5.683 / NEW 

Wii U - 40.118 (3.010)

[B]Famitsu Sales: Week 22, 2014 (May 26 - Jun 01)[/B]

[WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 350.749 / NEW

Wii U - 19.031 (8.859)

jakncoke

Banned
Will the PS3 ever reach the 100 million point (WW) at this rate? Of course this is just Japan but if you look at the decline it is much much worse than the PS2 or PSP.

I dont see how it will unless Sony supports it for an extremely long time and developing markets buy it in mass, In USA its already dropped off the cliff to like 50-60k a month, unsure about Europe but it seems its also dropped off the cliff and we know whats its like in Japan. It has something like 19 million to go, seems unlikely.

As for topic on hand, Wii U not being able to pull in new owners with Mario Kart has to be concerning for Nintendo. Im sure they were hoping for a 40k+ week and a new baseline must higher than previous. It'll be interesting to see what the new baseline is in a couple weeks, then again will probably drop to 6k-8k club with basically no releases of value to Hyrule in late summer or whenever it releases in Japan.

As for Sony, seriously.. how drunk were they when they thought how the way they handled the ps4 in Japan was a good idea. I mean just wow, falling behind basically every console except the undead xboxes/dreamcast in week to week lined up comparison. And looking over the upcoming lineup things going to get super duper ugly for it. I wonder just how low it can get before things improve.

When the numbers look like this, nobody wins.

Not even you.

we should be mad at all the people picking up WiiU and MK8 this week and next week for not having the time to pick it up last week, heat waves don't count

lets see the lazy next week charts and laugh at them

Well, good numbers for Mario Kart 8, all things considered. Still, it is the lowest debut for the series since the franchise blew up after MKDS.

As for hardware, about what I expected (a little lower, though). I don't know if console gaming is beyond saving, but it's a figurative coma patient right now. Both the major players have cocked up their launch line ups and left audiences with huge droughts post-launch.

Wii U at least has 2 potentially large-ish titles for retail in the next two months (Wii Sports Club, Hyrule Warriors). Note, that by potentially large-ish I mean maybe >50K. Obviously, the final line up for the rest of the year is unknown, but Bayonetta, Smash, and X and whatever else, might keep it slightly above last year's average for the 2nd half of the year, which, at this point, I think is a more realistic goal than continuously maintaining numbers greater than 20 or 30K.

L Thammy

I'm glad we've reached the conclusion that no game can ever save the Wii U based off of Japanese hardware sales for the week where MK was only out for 4 days (a country where the console market is so weak even PS4 is pulling 6.5k a week). We don't even know what US and EU HW sales look like, arbitrary devilish percents asides. Yes I expected a bigger bump but come on, we don't have the whole picture yet.

Games usually sell the most and have the most influence on hardware at launch, regardless of the amount of days in the week. Mario Kart 8 will keep going, no doubt about that, but it doesn't seem to be carrying the Wii U with it.

Your "even PS4" comment shows a lack of familiarity with the situation. The PS4 is not being dragged down by the bad console market. The PS4 is half of the console market, and its own software is dragging the market down.

turnbuckle

Nice MK8 numbers. Hardware...well, shit everything is just flat out depressing.

Everything combined is selling less than what the DS would often sell just 5-6 years ago.

Guymelef

Wii U sales spikes during non-holiday periods:

Code:
[B]Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)[/B]

[WIU] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.30} (¥6.980) - 36.454 / NEW 
[WIU] Game & Wario <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.03.28} (¥4.935) - 23.995 / NEW 

Wii U - 21.502 (10.172)

[B]Famitsu Sales: Week 28, 2013 (Jul 08 - Jul 14)[/B]

[WIU] Pikmin 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥5.985) - 102.188 / NEW 

Wii U - 20.728 (6.380)

[B]Famitsu Sales: Week 44, 2013 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)[/B]

[WIU] Wii Party U # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥4.935) - 79.715 / NEW
[WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) - 38.936 / 595.161
[WIU] Wii Fit U [Wii U Family Premium Set Black/White] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥34.800) - 5.683 / NEW 

Wii U - 40.118 (3.010)

[B]Famitsu Sales: Week 22, 2014 (May 26 - Jun 01)[/B]

[WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 350.749 / NEW

Wii U - 19.031 (8.859)

It's like people who buys Nintendo games have the console already.
Nintengo goes to software company.

Top Bottom