• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeness

55 minutes of pain...rest now...

Tomorrow, I think I'm going to try sprints again. Not the most difficult yet (15 seconds ruuuuuuuun, minute jog, rotate for 15 minutes) but I can do that, and then my strength dvd again for a nice big day of workout :D

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This video makes it look so easy, but man, I can't seem to get it down perfectly. Going to keep trying, though.

I pulled 600 last September then moved to this new setup. I'm just now about to hit 600+ again but I feel much much stronger with this setup. It takes a while to get down, but it's worth it. You just have to let he ego go and drop the weight down to relearn it.

Perfect timing lol. Saved.

EDIT: I think this is almost exactly what you guys were telling me:

"Keep your head in the neutral position. Neither up nor down, but straight ahead.
Keep the spine “organized”
Lean back into the heels and add tension to the glutes and hamstrings
Scrape the shins and then throw the hips into the bar like you mean to do on a Saturday Night"

Shit I've been saying over and over!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm clearly in 12% range at the moment. Amazing what a strict week will do. Probably stop somewhere between 10 and 11. That's the sweet spot for me personally.

Through trial and air I've come up with the perfect stress free long cut. It involves rotating calorie deficit days with maintenance days and a few overage days too. I'm sure there is some a similar more standardized program already out there but damn, it works!

rokkerkory

I'm clearly in 12% range at the moment. Amazing what a strict week will do. Probably stop somewhere between 10 and 11. That's the sweet spot for me personally.

Through trial and air I've come up with the perfect stress free long cut. It involves rotating calorie deficit days with maintenance days and a few overage days too. I'm sure there is some a similar more standardized program already out there but damn, it works!

man 10% on you would be so beefy cut!

let's see some pics when u get there!

Cooter

man 10% on you would be so beefy cut!

let's see some pics when u get there!
I'm about one, maybe two weeks out. Will do. When I get that low my arms look big for my frame. People start telling me how big I have gotten when in reality I've lost 5 pounds.

Imm0rt4l

It has been 13 days since I had a cheat meal. Honestly, the longest I have ever gone. Hitting the gym for amrs and then getting a burger tonight with the woman.

cubano.jpg

yummmmmmm

This is what I had today

10448918_248751105316186_631749398_n.jpg

Bulgogi tacos

IceCold

^^ Looks glorious. I don't even know how I would start eating that. Feels like everything would fall off after 1 bite.

despire

Dropping a bit below 17% body fat, so good going on my part!

I don't wanna burst your bubble but I don't really think you are anywhere near 17% BF. This is what a person looks around 17-18 BF% Pic 1, Pic 2. That's not me btw but I found it in here.. I suggest you post a picture there and see what the real number is. People in that thread/forum are usually pretty good at estimating these things. Better than some handheld BIA machine at least..

No matter what the real number is, keep it up. You'll get there :)

Sadetar

Haha, wow that means a shitton right there. My quads sweep out pretty crazy and sometimes I think it makes them look out of proportion and weird, lol.

On the subject of vices, I haven't had a drink in 6 months or so, but I definitely drink socially when I can regardless of my goals. For me, it's a waste of a good cut to not get drunk at a bar and somehow end up shirtless on the dance floor.

I will absolutely not touch anything else, period. It's just not me. Never smoked anything and never will.
I am a social drinker as well. I would say I drink couple drinks perhaps twice a year or so. I haven't never tried anything else and I don't see any reason why I would even try them.

I also heartily agree that it would be a total waste of a perfectly fine cut if you wouldn't end up shirtless... I actually think you could drink a bit more often. :p

I've gotten it checked out before in the hopes that I had something wrong with me lol. Like even my mom was like "it ain't right!"

But no. I will fight against food my whole life :( Enemies forever :(
Trust me, it is nicer not to have anything wrong with you. You have no need to have life long medication or run to blood testes once in a while to check that everything is ok.

On that note I actually had the results of my blood testes that I took on Tuesday and everything was absolutely awesome. Better than ever to be honest. The only thing that my doctor mentioned that was a bit odd was my hemoglobin which is 162 g/l which was ridiculously high for a female. That shouldn't matter at all though. I am just thinking that can loads of sports and work out affect that or why on earth it has sky-rocketed lately...

Cudder

I don't wanna burst your bubble but I don't really think you are anywhere near 17% BF. This is what a person looks around 17-18 BF% Pic 1, Pic 2. That's not me btw but I found it in here.. I suggest you post a picture there and see what the real number is. People in that thread/forum are usually pretty good at estimating these things. Better than some handheld BIA machine at least..

No matter what the real number is, keep it up. You'll get there :)
Ashodin, you are definitely around 26-27% bf.

Matugi

Ashodin, you are definitely around 26-27% bf.

I don't think that high but pretty close. I'd say around 23-24%. He's not quite in the fat range but he's definitely more than skinny fat and there's definitely a lack of muscle mass. If the 17% was measured by calipers it could explain why he was getting that number. In the hands of someone who knows how to use them they're pretty accurate, but they generally have a high degree of error. When I had a lot less mass two summers ago I was probably at 18-19% and got measured by two different people with calipers and one told me 8.5% and another told me 13% lol

Pete Rock

Bioelectrical impedance analysis confirmed worthless, my super fancy stupid scale says as of this moment I am at 15.6%. Calipers at an inch above the iliac crest site calculated in the appropriate age bracket puts me at 10.6%.

Basically it's a pointless thing to constantly monitor or worry about anyways, and you can only legitimately know how it "feels" at a certain point once you've been there.

Lift heavy weights and eat a clean diet and you're already on the right track.

Quadzilla is still my hero!!! *swoon*

Matugi

Bioelectrical impedance analysis confirmed worthless, my super fancy stupid scale says as of this moment I am at 15.6%. Calipers at an inch above the iliac crest site calculated in the appropriate age bracket puts me at 10.6%.

Basically it's a pointless thing to constantly monitor or worry about anyways, and you can only legitimately know how it "feels" at a certain point once you've been there.

Lift heavy weights and eat a clean diet and you're already on the right track.

Quadzilla is still my hero!!! *swoon*

Oh man we used BIA machines for our lifetime fitness class first semester and those things are junk. I did the test twice on the same machine, rang up 14.6% first time and 17.8% second time. BMI rang up at 27 then 29.5 lol.

Joni

I have been going to the gym for a little over a year now. The last couple of months I have been going five times per week, four hours of cardio to trim fat and one hour of muscle training, which is of course spread over the week. I have been maxing some machines like the leg press, I can do 150 KG with both legs and 100 KG with one leg. Every part of my body is getting quite thin and muscled, except my tummy which is bad because it is like the one thing where I need it. I have a bad back, so those are the two areas where I need to improve the most. Last thursday was funny though, some woman who I don't remember ever seeing there came up to me and congratulated me on losing weight.

Cudder

I have been going to the gym for a little over a year now. The last couple of months I have been going five times per week, four hours of cardio to trim fat and one hour of muscle training, which is of course spread over the week. I have been maxing some machines like the leg press, I can do 150 KG with both legs and 100 KG with one leg. Every part of my body is getting quite thin and muscled, except my tummy which is bad because it is like the one thing where I need it. I have a bad back, so those are the two areas where I need to improve the most. Last thursday was funny though, some woman who I don't remember ever seeing there came up to me and congratulated me on losing weight.

I'm confused, are you saying you weight train for an hour each week?

Also, getting good at/maxing machines does little else other than make you better at doing that exact movement on that particular machine. I would rethink your strategy here and focus on working your body as a unit instead of focusing on machine movements.

Matugi

Good work, man. Now that you've got the basics down with a structured schedule, I'd recommend starting up a weightlifting program so you can maximize your time in the gym and reach your goals with greater efficiency.

New thread...new bathroom selfie!!!

6FDB2DBA-9982-4131-A44D-DE0197EB6E86_zpsfhaaeh2f.jpg

Progress is slow (fuck you diet) but I'm happy so far. For the record I'm 6'1 and 202 lbs. I'm also guessing that my BF% is in the low 20/high teens (and that's being generous). Hopefully in a year or two my arms will balloon to respectable size and my abs will be chiseled

Cooper

Edit: oops, just realized that something in dinner is cut off. Still the same calories but there is some ricotta cheese missing from the pictures.

This is a typical day generally, though I normally have a salad for lunch. I just had too much of the beef around and needed to eat more that day lol. I also don't put on there the milk that goes into tea, I have a small glass (like 1/4 cup) of wine most nights, etc.

One thing I notice is you're using lots of volume-based measurements (cups), which can be inaccurate for anything that isn't liquid. You're better off with a kitchen scale if you need to keep close tabs on your calorie count.

As a quick example, I was measuring out some cereal just now. The cereal, Vanilla Almond Special K, says 1 serving = 3/4 cup = 30g = 110 calories. So you'd expect 2 servings to be 1.5 cups, but 60g looks more like 1.25 cups.
IMG_0145.jpg

If I use the measuring cup to get to what looks like 1.5 cups, it weighs 74g. So essentially I would have given myself an extra half serving, or about 50 extra unaccounted-for calories if I had used a volume measurement.
IMG_0147.jpg

Looking at your food diary, I see lots of items where a volume measurement might cause undercounting. Nuts, dips, meats, berries, and even cottage cheese, are all solid foods that are best measured by weight. Some, like the berries, aren't too calorically dense, so measurement errors won't hurt you too much. But errors with nuts and meats can add up in a hurry, like they did with the cereal I showed.

Just a tip that might help you if you're frustrated with progress.

Sadetar

One thing I notice is you're using lots of volume-based measurements (cups), which can be inaccurate for anything that isn't liquid. You're better off with a kitchen scale if you need to keep close tabs on your calorie count.

As a quick example, I was measuring out some cereal just now. The cereal, Vanilla Almond Special K, says 1 serving = 3/4 cup = 30g = 110 calories. So you'd expect 2 servings to be 1.5 cups, but 60g looks more like 1.25 cups.
IMG_0145.jpg

If I use the measuring cup to get to what looks like 1.5 cups, it weighs 74g. So essentially I would have given myself an extra half serving, or about 50 extra unaccounted-for calories if I had used a volume measurement.
IMG_0147.jpg

Looking at your food diary, I see lots of items where a volume measurement might cause undercounting. Nuts, dips, meats, berries, and even cottage cheese, are all solid foods that are best measured by weight. Some, like the berries, aren't too calorically dense, so measurement errors won't hurt you too much. But errors with nuts and meats can add up in a hurry, like they did with the cereal I showed.

I need to say that that is a good point if you are stugling with your weight loss.

Then again I have managed to lost over 15 pounds without counting my calories so that certainly isn't for everyone. Quite naturally if you feel you are getting no results even how hard you try I would recommend at least one day checking how much you are actually eating with a scale. I am myself thinking should I check my daily calory intake with scaling everything for just one day, since I eat the same things generally every day. I would mainly want to know that am I getting enough protein and good fats. My overall cholesterol level is 3,2 mmol/L which is quite low so there is certainly room for more. I eat hemp oil and nuts every day, but I don't know are those enough for me.

We all do. In some capacity.
;) I wouldn't mind it either...

Cooper

I need to say that that is a good point if you are stugling with your weight loss.

Then again I have managed to lost over 15 pounds without counting my calories so that certainly isn't for everyone.

Definitely, there's more than one approach, and results and preferences will vary for each person. But since Leeness seems to be using calorie counting, we might as well help her make the method as robust as possible.

Quite naturally if you feel you are getting no results even how hard you try I would recommend at least one day checking how much you are actually eating with a scale. I am myself thinking should I check my daily calory intake with scaling everything for just one day, since I eat the same things generally every day. I would mainly want to know that am I getting enough protein and good fats. My overall cholesterol level is 3,2 mmol/L which is quite low so there is certainly room for more. I eat hemp oil and nuts every day, but I don't know are those enough for me.

That's essentially why I track too. I want sufficient protein, and a general idea of how much I'm eating. Currently, I'm not really trying to change my weight. I need to think about where I want to go in the near future.

Pete Rock

The other thing about weight vs volumetric measure is all high end chefs use the former and it is particularly clutch in baking applications. A cup of "packed" brown sugar can vary so much depending on who is doing the packing! So that's another good reason to get used to busting out the scale every time you're doing something in the kitchen, aside from the fact that they can be scooped up for $20. Lift like a pro, weigh and cook like a pro! Fake it till you make it!

Zoe

Damn, it got hot fast around here. I'm really doubting whether I'll be able to acclimate. I was able to power through the intense sun and the heat for the previous two runs, but today's run had awful humidity despite being better on the other fronts. It crippled my breathing from the start so I ended up having to walk one of my half mile segments.

Ugh.

velociraptor

This is a very stupid question but one that must be asked either way. I've been swamped with my studies and have a very important exam on Friday. As a result I haven't worked out for 2 weeks and probably won't for another week. Will I lose my gains?

Cooter

This is a very stupid question but one that must be asked either way. I've been swamped with my studies and have a very important exam on Friday. As a result I haven't worked out for 2 weeks and probably won't for another week. Will I lose my gains?
You will be slightly weaker but should regain your numbers in a few weeks.

Joni

I'm confused, are you saying you weight train for an hour each week?.
Yes, which should be more than enough considering weight loss is my primary objective and moving a bit my second.

Good work, man. Now that you've got the basics down with a structured schedule, I'd recommend starting up a weightlifting program so you can maximize your time in the gym and reach your goals with greater efficiency.
I'm staying away from weightlifting for a long time. As I said, bad back. I know weightlifting can be good for the back, but that is for people that are healthy, not for people that just had a lumbago at a way too young age. That is why I need to dump my tummy first which has the added advantage of lower blood pressure. I'm also quite clumsy which is why I prefer smaller weights and machines over weightlifting, smaller chance of funny consequences.

Leeness

Trust me, it is nicer not to have anything wrong with you. You have no need to have life long medication or run to blood testes once in a while to check that everything is ok.

On that note I actually had the results of my blood testes that I took on Tuesday and everything was absolutely awesome. Better than ever to be honest. The only thing that my doctor mentioned that was a bit odd was my hemoglobin which is 162 g/l which was ridiculously high for a female. That shouldn't matter at all though. I am just thinking that can loads of sports and work out affect that or why on earth it has sky-rocketed lately...

I know it's better. I didn't mean it like that, but it was like...it was super frustrating when nothing worked and it was like "WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME" and apparently nothing and it was like...I'm just meant to be fat I guess. :/ I kind of wanted a "well this is why" answer. But I know it's better to just be healthy.

I'm glad your blood work is going well :)

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

Huh. I'm going to start using my little kitchen scale more then. The cups are just the default setting in MFP but I will look more into it and look at grams and such instead.

Thank you!

On another note, one of my calves like...seized up in the middle of the night :( no work out today except maybe some stretching and yoga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom