• Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Sho_Nuff82
(06-09-2014, 11:41 PM)

Originally Posted by klodeckel1990

100% this is from Crackdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxHdUDhOMyw

Originally Posted by EBE

spencer confirmed it after the post show to a fan asking a question about it.

I left rumor in the title because I don't have a link to the post show talk.

Pretty interesting if true. Crackdown is known for having over the top explosions, combining that with Red Faction-esque destruction like we saw in the CG trailer would be insane in a sandbox.

Edit: fake mod abuse

Confirmed

Originally Posted by klodeckel1990

Not a rumor. Confirmed by Phil:

I called it? I called it.

Originally Posted by Hockeymac18

Yeah, here's a video they released after the build conference that shows the demos side by side with same destruction sequence (the cloud one finishes first so they go on to do a lot more destruction): http://youtube.com/watch?v=ECsbaO1XGBU

Better video since it isn't "shady," as some put it. They actually released it because people didn't like that he turned his back to the building in the live demo. This tech seems pretty cool, looking forward to seeing what they do with it in crackdown.

Last edited by Sho_Nuff82; 06-10-2014 at 02:42 PM.
il Diavolo
(06-09-2014, 11:46 PM)
That level of destructibility in Crackdown would be incredible, particularly if 4 player co-op carries over from 2. Glorious mayhem.
NathanCX
(06-09-2014, 11:48 PM)
Holy Hell. Crackdown 3 for GOTY 2016.
NinjaFridge
So not necessarily on the scale we saw in the CG trailer, which is to be expected, but that would still be incredible fun.
Ray Wonder
Banned
Wait, is this.. Like.. the cloud working?
Kayant
Alright now we can finally see this cloud processing in action. E3 2015 should be fun or whenever they get to talking about it again.
Stumpokapow
Currently AFK. Please ask another moderator for help or support.
(06-09-2014, 11:49 PM)
Well the company developing the game is called Cloudgine and apparently exists for the primary purpose of cloud tech... so...
Backfoggen
(06-09-2014, 11:49 PM)
Online only confirmed?
T.O.P
(06-09-2014, 11:50 PM)
Goddamn, hype going skyrocket
Futureman
how many people died in that trailer? so many buildings exploding.
EBE
to clarify, i was standing right next to spencer as he revealed this little bit of off screen information. he said he didnt feel like it was a good time to come out and say it was crackdown 3 then and so opted to wait until today. mentioned destructability would play a large role in the game and that it would all be done server side.
Woffls
Hah, I remember watching that and thinking what games it would end up in. Very impressive stuff.
Trevelyon
(06-09-2014, 11:51 PM)
Holy shit!
NaDannMaGoGo
(06-09-2014, 11:52 PM)
I believe it when I see it on the live game. Actually impressive and thus expensive physics calculation via cloud computing is possible I suppose but probably also somewhat expensive unless done really well. So yeh, until I actually see that...
Last edited by NaDannMaGoGo; 06-09-2014 at 11:58 PM.
gamechanger87
Banned
(06-09-2014, 11:52 PM)
This shouldn't surprise anyone. MS is betting heavy on the cloud side and there will be games that use it for these offloads. At some point people will stop making cloud jokes.
Brad Grenz
(06-09-2014, 11:53 PM)
I would not be surprised if that is the case. I would also predict that the game won't be out before 2017 and the destruction will have been scaled back significantly by then.
justsomeguy

Originally Posted by EBE

to clarify, i was standing right next to spencer as he revealed this little bit of off screen information. he said he didnt feel like it was a good time to come out and say it was crackdown 3 then and so opted to wait until today. mentioned destructability would play a large role in the game and that it would all be done server side.

"to clarify"?...

To show off, you mean ;-)

It worked. Am jealous.
wwm0nkey
Hey they actually have something to show the cloud off with!
rrc1594
I'm happy they didn't say word about, if they didn't have anything to show.
Team Vernia
(06-09-2014, 11:54 PM)
MEGATON
Guevara
The level of destruction in the trailer still seems impossible, and a far cry from blowing out windows. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though!
soundahfekz
What are the specs of this "high-end" CPU? Seems misleading in ways unless they mentioned it elsewhere.
PopcornMegaphone
(06-09-2014, 11:56 PM)
Incredible. Simply incredible.
jem0208
(06-09-2014, 11:58 PM)
So if this turns out to be true then MS were completely right about the cloud then?

Oh man I really hope it is.
Spring-Loaded

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

Well the company developing the game is called Cloudgine and apparently exists for the primary purpose of cloud tech... so...

That detective work. Goddamn
Darknight
Im really excited for this to come out.

One reason being is that I want to see the actual power of the cloud without the PR speak. MS has to show me that is true. Also cant wait to see what the game plays like when you disconnect the internet. Will the game suddenly drop to like 20FPS or less when stuff is being destroyed? Well time to put up or shut up.

And because its a cool game ofc.
UpUpDownDown
(06-09-2014, 11:59 PM)
I'm pretty sure every e3 I see a demo like this.
NutJobJim
(06-10-2014, 12:02 AM)
Holy shit.
If they pull this off could be amazing and incredibly fun.
Kayant
(06-10-2014, 12:04 AM)
So am guessing this is also going to be always online right?
Taiser
(06-10-2014, 12:05 AM)
Pre-baked and non-interactive
LyleLanley
(06-10-2014, 12:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Taiser

Pre-baked and non-interactive

Why would they offload it to the cloud if it was pre-baked and non-interactive?
Persona7
(06-10-2014, 12:07 AM)
dem chunks
BigDug13

Originally Posted by gamechanger87

This shouldn't surprise anyone. MS is betting heavy on the cloud side and there will be games that use it for these offloads. At some point people will stop making cloud jokes.

People with great Internet connections won't have an issue at least. Does this mean the game won't be playable offline?
Raist

Originally Posted by LyleLanley

Why would a current "high end PC" crawl down to 2 FPS because there's 30k objects in a scene with graphics from 10 years ago?
Kayant
(06-10-2014, 12:08 AM)

Originally Posted by LyleLanley

Because logic.

http://www.cloudgine.com/
Masquerader

Originally Posted by Futureman

how many people died in that trailer? so many buildings exploding.

All part of keeping the peace, Agent.
Delusibeta

Originally Posted by Kayant

So am guessing this is also going to be always online right?

Honestly? I'll be genuinely surprised if the destructibility isn't local, the tech is completely impractical for use in a game due to general internet speeds being too slow to not induce lag and errors. If it's always online, then the game will bomb horribly. Relying on the cloud for this sort of thing is a horrible idea in terms of making money.
LyleLanley
(06-10-2014, 12:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Raist

Why would a current "high end PC" crawl down to 2 FPS because there's 30k objects in a scene with graphics from 10 years ago?

I'm no developer and I don't have an educated answer to that but I thought moving that many independent pieces was a legitimately processor intensive task.
ephemeral garbage
(06-10-2014, 12:11 AM)
This kinda smells funny. If physics calculations are offloaded to backend servers, then those backend servers are going to have to report position, velocity, and rotational velocity information for all those tiny pieces back to the console... and where you were previously bottlenecked on processor time, you now have a much much worse bottleneck on network bandwidth.

Like NaDannMaGoGo said, I'll believe it when I see it in a live game.
Kayant
(06-10-2014, 12:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Delusibeta

Honestly? I'll be genuinely surprised if the destructibility isn't local, the tech is completely impractical for use in a game due to general internet speeds being too slow to not induce lag and errors. If it's always online, then the game will bomb horribly. Relying on the cloud for this sort of thing is a horrible idea in terms of making money.

Yh true say. Am still sceptical about it tbh but if they show it working on average connections then I shall be a believer. Well I guess in that case they can use it got only for MP.
domlolz
(06-10-2014, 12:13 AM)
yeah take this video with a pinch of salt
werks
(06-10-2014, 12:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Raist

Because they are doing it as inefficiently as possible to show you the extremes. The numbers don't add up for cloud gaming.

If crackdown sells 1 million copy at launch and has 500k players on at the same time, will MS have that much power available... and for how long. What happens 6 months later when another "cloud" game comes out. How is long term "cloud gaming" support financially viable without a monthly fee?
Baroquemantic
(06-10-2014, 12:15 AM)
That looks awesome, but would suck if it means the game is online only.
charsace
Accidental Member
(06-10-2014, 12:16 AM)

You think people would connect the dots.

A lot of people are eating crow. "The cloud can't help with that destruction."
giancarlo123x
(06-10-2014, 12:17 AM)
I really need something to scratch my Red Faction Guerilla itch.
werks
(06-10-2014, 12:17 AM)

Originally Posted by charsace

Maybe you should save the crow serving when they actually launch a game that uses this tech.
Seismic response
Banned
(06-10-2014, 12:19 AM)

Crow eating should be served upon delivery. We havent seen that yet but I hope we do.
Kiant
(06-10-2014, 12:20 AM)
Won't believe it until I actually see it.
AJLma
(06-10-2014, 12:20 AM)

Originally Posted by nsnsmj

That looks awesome, but would suck if it means the game is online only.

It will be, and I'm all for it if it means that level of destruction can happen in game, in a multiplayer environment.
BigDug13
(06-10-2014, 12:21 AM)

It's not that the cloud "can't help", it's more that "it would be stupid if this was in the cloud" because it automatically limits your potential audience to "Gold members only" and would require them to maintain a really solid low-latency high bandwidth connection at all times. With so many speed and throughput variables to overcome, any hiccups will have a severely negative impact on your game's performance. Unless the game is hosted for the most part on online servers and you are merely connecting to play...then comes the "how long until the plug is pulled on my game." And we still get back to the "1/2 your audience can't play it. "