• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

aj1467
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:14 PM)
aj1467's Avatar

Originally Posted by soldat7

I'd like to know this as well. Could be jarring bouncing between teh Haloz, and I just want to play 2!

Bravo has tweeted saying you can pick one multiplayer to play if you want.
Pkm
Banned
(06-11-2014, 07:14 PM)
Pkm's Avatar
I dont like Halo
Dega
Eeny Meenie Penis
(06-11-2014, 07:15 PM)
Dega's Avatar

Originally Posted by StaticJam

People are excited because Halo 4 was just THAT bad.

=\ nope.

If Halo 4 is what is considered bad then I hope all games are bad from now on.
Muffdraul
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:15 PM)
Muffdraul's Avatar
After playing almost every FPS that came down the pike from 1994 to 1998 and then completely burning out after forcing myself to complete Turok 2, I might never have played another FPS for the rest of my days if not for a little game called Halo finding its way into my life and teaching me how to love again. I've played all of the Halo SP campaigns a stupid number of times and I can't wait to start all over again on my XBone.

Halo 4 is my least favorite Halo, but that's not saying much. It's like picking my least favorite lay.
Last edited by Muffdraul; 06-11-2014 at 07:18 PM.
hawk2025
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:15 PM)
hawk2025's Avatar
Dude, we've all been through the launch of the Orange Box.


This ain't rocket science, we know why people are excited about getting a good value. In that case, the package even had a few brand new games.
SillyNonsense
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:16 PM)
SillyNonsense's Avatar

Originally Posted by soldat7

I'd like to know this as well. Could be jarring bouncing between teh Haloz, and I just want to play 2!

Didnt Frankie already say there were playlists for specific games? I could be wrong.

I'm hoping that they do their best to unify the controls so that those of us who enjoy hopping aren't too flustered each time the game switches.
The Flash
Banned
(06-11-2014, 07:16 PM)

Originally Posted by StalkerUKCG

Cross Posting #Balling

Swagalicious. Hopefully there's a wallpaper of that.
MikeK
Junior Member
(06-11-2014, 07:17 PM)
Well im no Fan, never owned a microsoft console but its one more reason to buy a X1. Not interested in MP, just wanna experience the singleplayer campaign.

Hope they do the same for gears, another one of those games on a very long list.
RocketRacoon
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:17 PM)
RocketRacoon's Avatar
I may buy an Xbone for this to be honest.


I also thought Halo 4 was awesome though.
Mistel
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:18 PM)
Mistel's Avatar

Originally Posted by skatebored

Halo 4 MP wasn't bad at all. Biggest problem was not enough players to sustain.

Because it wasn't what people wanted to play as it's not that good.
jem0208
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:18 PM)
jem0208's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pkm

I dont like Halo

Good for you, you can now move on with your life without a care in the world.
Liquidsnake
Banned
(06-11-2014, 07:19 PM)
Liquidsnake's Avatar


Gives me a chance to show off this bad boy.
Exploratory
is not Kawhi Leonard
(06-11-2014, 07:20 PM)
Exploratory's Avatar

Originally Posted by Goodacre0081

it kinda feels like Halo fans are more exited for Halo2A than the next game in the series. that's not a good thing and kind of a slap in the face of 323i

Lol who said that? As long as there's no bs I'll be there day 1.
TRI Mike
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:20 PM)
TRI Mike's Avatar
Halo 4 was definitely the worst of the franchise but honestly, when compared to the huge quantity of shitty shooters out there, it's a pretty cool game.
Last edited by TRI Mike; 06-11-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: incorrect word
Mask
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:21 PM)
Mask's Avatar
I sure wouldn't mind playing some Halo 1 MP with my brother. Tons of fun to be had, jumping Warthogs and trying to drive them into structures where they clearly didn't fit.

Hmm.. Gaf, would you say this would be worth buying for someone who doesn't play online? I'm contemplating grabbing an Xbone for this and the other stuff, but not subbing to Gold due
to already having a PS4 with PS+, so I would be using split-screen only. Enough value still there?
Red Chocobo
Banned
(06-11-2014, 07:21 PM)
People who grew up playing Halo games online will all be reaching their teens soon. So it's a great time for them to look back and be nostalgic for their childhood.
divinedbullet
Banned
(06-11-2014, 07:21 PM)

Originally Posted by StalkerUKCG

Cross Posting #Balling

Sex
This should be the cover with just Halo as the name
DopeyFish
Not bitter, just unsweetened
(06-11-2014, 07:21 PM)
DopeyFish's Avatar

Originally Posted by BigDug13

Halo 4 campaign was fine though, right? Just the multiplayer kinda blew? Halo 4 campaign being in this compilation...nothing wrong with that.

Halo 4 campaign was pretty great outside of the prometheans

And the story wandering recklessly into the EU
Jito
Banned
(06-11-2014, 07:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Red Chocobo

People who grew up playing Halo games online will all be reaching their teens soon. So it's a great time for them to look back and be nostalgic for their childhood.

The fuck? Are you retarded or is this a terrible joke?
Korosenai
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:22 PM)
Korosenai's Avatar
I shed a single tear reading this thread. God bless you op.

Im 22 and ive been playing Halo since 2 back in 05. Halo has literally consumed over 1/3 of my life, so this collection will be bought and played so hard.
Last edited by Korosenai; 06-11-2014 at 07:25 PM.
E92 M3
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:23 PM)
E92 M3's Avatar
I love how Requiem was introduced in Halo 4; just wished the campaign had more natural environments and less ancient structures. Also, would've been amazing to travel to a new Halo. Can't wait to travel to a new Halo.
Admodieus
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:24 PM)
Admodieus's Avatar
Wait, is it confirmed that the Halo CE multiplayer in this collection is just Halo CE + XBL? From my understanding, the version included in this game is Halo Anniversary Edition, which used Reach's multiplayer engine.
Feel the Swift
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:24 PM)
Feel the Swift's Avatar
Really wish this game was coming out while I was still in high school. Just won't have as much time in my life to solely dedicate hours upon hours to Halo CE and 2. :(
Mr. Enigma
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:24 PM)
Mr. Enigma's Avatar

Originally Posted by jelly

Yes. Halo 2, 3 and 4.

There is no Forge for Halo 2. Only for the six re-done maps in the new engine.
statham
be hot
be naughty
be Xbox
(06-11-2014, 07:25 PM)
statham's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pkm

I dont like Halo

I do like Halo, so even each other out.
RooMHM
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:25 PM)
RooMHM's Avatar
Because people love buying the same games multiple times even if theres 0,1% of the new content.
Buying remakes is the best signal sent to industry creators. The BEST.
Red Chocobo
Banned
(06-11-2014, 07:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Jito

The fuck? Are you retarded or is this a terrible joke?

Stay classy.

It was just a joke, harking back to the days of when I used to play and hear nothing but squeaky kids online.
Mistel
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:25 PM)
Mistel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mask

Hmm.. Gaf, would you say this would be worth buying for someone who doesn't play online? I'm contemplating grabbing an Xbone for this and the other stuff, but not subbing to Gold due
to already having a PS4 with PS+, so I would be using split-screen only. Enough value still there?

There's still all of the campaigns and other modes so it might be if you enjoy things like forge, co-op, etc.
Palette Swap
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:26 PM)
Palette Swap's Avatar

Originally Posted by Red Chocobo

People who grew up playing Halo games online will all be reaching their teens soon. So it's a great time for them to look back and be nostalgic for their childhood.

The joke is super badly framed, it's insulting and doesn't resist the scrutiny of basic arithmetic. It's time to take a deep breath and move away, dude.
Jito
Banned
(06-11-2014, 07:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Red Chocobo

Stay classy.

It was just a joke, harking back to the days of when I used to play and hear nothing but squeaky kids online.

Oh go stick your head in the sand then, fucking PC people.
Dr Mayonnaise
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:27 PM)
Dr Mayonnaise's Avatar

Originally Posted by StaticJam

People are excited because Halo 4 was just THAT bad.

I liked Halo 4....... (well for the few months I played it until the MP community died)
Feel the Swift
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:28 PM)
Feel the Swift's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pkm

I dont like Halo

10/10 POTY really well written
KMS
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:28 PM)
KMS's Avatar
As a person getting and XBO this fall for exclusives and a lover of Halo 1-2 multiplayer I'm quite pumped up for it. At the same time I'm kinda worried that it could be a double edge sword. It will bring people to XBO but what happens if the competitive multiplayer base solidifies around the collection and future games fail to build healthy communties?
oatmeal
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:28 PM)
oatmeal's Avatar
We're excited because 343 has proved they can't make a good new Halo, so we hope that they can just remake one that Bungie did.
backflip10019
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:29 PM)
backflip10019's Avatar
People are excited because Halo 1-3 were each amazing games in their own right. I have such fond memories of blowing Warthogs to the moon in Halo 1, crazy Halo 2 multiplayer matches, and playing Halo 3 with so many GAFfers for days on end. I can't wait.
Mask
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:30 PM)
Mask's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stormtrooper

There's still all of the campaigns and other modes so it might be if you enjoy things like forge, co-op, etc.

Yeah, that would suit me just fine. I figured they might remove the offline co-op to force people onto Gold, but that's good if they haven't.
Muffdraul
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:30 PM)
Muffdraul's Avatar

Originally Posted by RooMHM

Because people love buying the same games multiple times even if theres 0,1% of the new content.
Buying remakes is the best signal sent to industry creators. The BEST.

I still enjoy playing the originals. but it'd be a lot more convenient if I could do so on my current gen console. Now I can. And they're going to be tarted up as well. I win.
Iorv3th
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:30 PM)
Iorv3th's Avatar
Yep Halo series was very big for me and my buddies. Spent a lot of time on it and am considering picking up a one for this.
Magwik
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:30 PM)
Magwik's Avatar
For those who don't understand why Halo 4 is considered to be such a poor game:

Originally Posted by GhaleonEB

This is the bottom line.

Juices over in the Community side once said something that described the fundamental problem with what 343 did in making Halo 4. To paraphrase, they were chasing a group of players they are never going to catch - CoD - and lost Halo fans along the way. Now they've got almost no one.

I loved Halo, passionately. It was the reason, alone, I bought a 360. I put more time into Halo 3 than any other game, ever, until that time. Nightly romps in matchmaking, GAF custom game nights, picture stories (and later, video) were swapped daily. I made the GAF OT's for the Halo 3 Beta, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Reach, Halo: CEA and Halo 4.

I gave Halo 4 away for free to a GAFer a few months after it came out, after not playing it for a few months before that. (Foolishly, I had bought the LE; I never redeemed the codes that came with it, and gave those away, too.) I'm buying a PS4 for next gen and will never own a new Halo game. The game is that bad.

343's first and biggest mistake was failing utterly to understand what made Halo, Halo.

Exhibit A: Instant respawn. Halo's combat is designed around a certain pacing. There's a cadence of combat, reprieve, shield recharge, and then re-engagement. Getting cleaned up by that guy you just killed because they respawned instantly, before your shields could recharge broke that cadence entirely.

Exhibit B: Global and Personal Ordnance. Goodbye, map control. Goodbye, rallying your team by securing that rocket launcher and taking out a vehicle. Goodbye, knowing what power weapons the other team has. Goodbye, any semblance or pretension of balance. Goodbye, fun.

Exhibit C: Flinch. Through the rise of CoD, Battlefield and other shooters, Halo has always been the game that prioritized combat clarity. It was the game that didn't screw with your ability to see during combat: no aim down sights, no strawberry jelly on the screen, no visual impairment from explosions. It was also that game that didn't add layers of interference and pushback to its weapon mechanics. Targeting reticule are stable as you move, (used to be) stable when firing, and stable when you were hit. The skill was learning how to use weapons, when to use them, and how to survive encounters of longer than normal duration.

Between the long range of the DMR and the addition of flinch, much of the combat was reduced to grappling with a bucking targeting reticule. That's not fun, or balanced, in any way. It's frustrating. It's my most hated addition to the game, over and above the horribleness that is....

Exhibit D: Perks. Prior to Reach, when you shot someone, or began an action, you could expect a certain action to follow it. I know I can four shot this guy; I know a grenade will strip shields and a head shot will kill. I know this dudes movement options, and that I have him cornered. I know if I get the jump on someone I have the advantage.

Enter perks, and all that goes out the window. When I EMP this vehicle, I wonder how effective it will be? When I engage this guy with the DMR, I wonder how stable his reticle is compared to mine? I wonder how fast this guy's shields recharge, or how fast he can reload, or how many shots he takes to kill? It breaks our ability to mange combat and make smart decisions, and reduces a lot of it to dumb luck. Shucks, I didn't think he had Stability on. Oh well! Better luck next time; maybe I'll run into some dudes where my perk selections give me the leg up next time.

And then they compounded perks, as other systems introduce problems. Hmm, adding the plasma pistol to loadouts totally breaks the vehicle balance. Let's add a perk to reduce the EMP stun! Let's add a mechanic like flinch - removing de-scoping for some reason - and then bring in a perk to partly offset it. Because balance or something.

Just one layer after another of decisions diametrically opposed to Halo's core combat design. Strip all of it away, and that core is pretty good. But you don't play the core, you play it all, and it was a terrible, unfun experience. The population flight looks like throngs of people buying the game, and then recoiling from it in response.

I'm ignoring the campaign, the horrible UI, the awfulness that was Spartan Ops (though to be fair I only played the first three episodes) and the gimped feature set (RIP campaign Theater), not to mention the poor post-launch support (which Fyre covered in the superb OP). But those are surely factors as well.

I hope Halo 5 goes back to Halo's roots and is aimed at Halo fans rather than trying to poach features of other games. But those DLC perks do not inspire confidence.

Last edited by Magwik; 06-11-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Feel the Swift
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:30 PM)
Feel the Swift's Avatar

Originally Posted by KMS

As a person getting and XBO this fall for exclusives and a lover of Halo 1-2 multiplayer I'm quite pumped up for it. At the same time I'm kinda worried that it could be a double edge sword. It will bring people to XBO but what happens if the competitive multiplayer base solidifies around the collection and future games fail to build healthy communties?

I think I couldn't seriously care less to be honest. Call me a pessimist but I can't see 343 getting Halo right like Bungie did. I know they're in charge of this collection but everything is basically handed to them, they just have to execute it right. I'll give them another chance with Halo 5 but would much rather see this collection top the XBL charts for the entire One's lifespan.
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(06-11-2014, 07:31 PM)

Originally Posted by aj1467

Bravo has tweeted saying you can pick one multiplayer to play if you want.

Seems impossible to me. The collection would probably need a massive amount of players to satisfy the various playlists.
GalacticGravy
Junior Member
(06-11-2014, 07:32 PM)
GalacticGravy's Avatar
I'm excited because I haven't played more than a few hours of Halo as a franchise. Been thinking about marathon-ing through it and this gives me a good way to do it without hooking up old consoles. Also, even though I barely played it, bringing back Halo 2 mp is such a good idea. Nobody does shit like that. Really good to see.
Sub-Zero at a Starbucks
Wolfric the Wild
(06-11-2014, 07:33 PM)
Sub-Zero at a Starbucks's Avatar
MagicWithEarvin
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:33 PM)
MagicWithEarvin's Avatar
People are excited because it's the best packaged deal, even better than the Orange Box.
NinjamicWZ
Banned
(06-11-2014, 07:33 PM)
Remakes and rereleases are fine in my book. Fans of any of them will be excited, and it's always new to someone.
Gaus
Banned
(06-11-2014, 07:33 PM)
You realize they took something away from you just to sell it back to you later, right?
Fatmanp
Junior Member
(06-11-2014, 07:34 PM)
Fatmanp's Avatar
The downside of this collection is that fans of Halo 3 are going to get a serious reality check of just how much a watered down version of Halo 2 it was.
rokkerkory
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:34 PM)
rokkerkory's Avatar

Originally Posted by JB1981

Seems impossible to me. The collection would probably need a massive amount of players to satisfy the various playlists.

Custom games?
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(06-11-2014, 07:34 PM)
Stinkles's Avatar
I think it is because of reasons.
Authority
Banned
(06-11-2014, 07:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Jito

Oh go stick your head in the sand then, fucking PC people.

Try 60 then send me a letter.

Good thread OP.

Thread Tools