• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Randomizer
Member
(06-11-2014, 04:56 AM)
Randomizer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rhomega Beta

"I'm not saying it was Link, but it was [s]aliens[/s] Link."



Then wouldn't it continue using the WW art style like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks?

Not necessarily as every Zelda is part of one big timeline with splits. The games usually have vastly different art styles.
TheCongressman1
Member
(06-11-2014, 04:56 AM)
TheCongressman1's Avatar
I'd say if this was a girl and not Link, it would probably be Link's sister or something. I think this being Zelda would be weird considering she would look so much alike to previous designs of Link.
Zeyphersan
Member
(06-11-2014, 04:56 AM)
Zeyphersan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Askherserenity

Dude, look at the eye lashes in the pictures. Its a girl.

I lied, it's real. That's on me.
ElectricKaibutsu
Member
(06-11-2014, 04:56 AM)
ElectricKaibutsu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeyphersan

That's a photoshopped picture, doesn't have eyelashes like that in the video.

Dude was messing with people in another thread when he made that

Oh... thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Or not :P
Last edited by ElectricKaibutsu; 06-11-2014 at 04:59 AM.
MannyToons
Member
(06-11-2014, 04:56 AM)
MannyToons's Avatar
The ponytail is what's getting me the most. That and the horse clearly not being Epona.
ChosenPredator
Member
(06-11-2014, 04:56 AM)
ChosenPredator's Avatar
I guess that explains why she's being chased and is wearing a cloak - hiding her identity (atleast trying too) to look like link..cause honestly who would want to go after link after years of beating evils ass.
TheRealTalker
Member
(06-11-2014, 04:57 AM)
TheRealTalker's Avatar
"What if I told you he was a girl"


*People who repeatedly joke about Link looking feminine = :O
TetraGenesis
Member
(06-11-2014, 04:57 AM)
TetraGenesis's Avatar
I honestly cannot believe there is still a debate. That's a girl.

That was the whole point of the reveal with the cloak flying away and everything. We all expected the same male Link we always get but the cloak flies away and "Oh my god! That's a girl!"

Now whether that is a Zelda, which I personally believe (Prince Link anyone?), or Linkette is up for debate.

But whether or not that character is female should not even be on the table.
LegendX48
Member
(06-11-2014, 04:57 AM)
LegendX48's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElectricKaibutsu

I'm totally down for that.

Here's a list of reasons this could be someone other than Link.

- Right handed (that's pretty huge unless motion controls are back which they aren't)
- Uses a bow primarily
- No green tunic (I'm kinda eh on this one)
- Looks like a girl
- Earrings in both ears when I believe Link only has one in his left ear.

Am I missing anything?

iirc Link has had earings on both ears in the past few games so that point is sort of moot.
Admiral Woofington
m'Souls, m'lady
(06-11-2014, 04:57 AM)
Admiral Woofington's Avatar

Originally Posted by MannyToons

The ponytail is what's getting me the most. That and the horse clearly not being Epona.

It's actually a male horse now called "Epono". NOTHING IS SACRED ANYMORE.


THEY PLAYED US LIKE A FIDDLE.
Zeyphersan
Member
(06-11-2014, 04:57 AM)
Zeyphersan's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElectricKaibutsu

Oh... thanks for the heads up.

Nah, got it confused with the actually photoshopped photo, it's legit
co1onel
Member
(06-11-2014, 04:58 AM)
co1onel's Avatar

Originally Posted by MannyToons

The ponytail is what's getting me the most. That and the horse clearly not being Epona.

Big Boss got a ponytail too

#ChicoisQuietisSnake
Heroman
Member
(06-11-2014, 04:58 AM)
Heroman's Avatar

Originally Posted by TetraGenesis

I honestly cannot believe there is still a debate. That's a girl.

That was the whole point of the reveal with the cloak flying away and everything. We all expected the same male Link we always get but the cloak flies away and "Oh my god! That's a girl!"

Now whether that is a Zelda, which I personally believe (Prince Link anyone?), or Linkette is up for debate.

But whether or not that character is female should not even be on the table.

They would never change links gender. He will be the main hero in this game.
Rayis
Member
(06-11-2014, 04:58 AM)
Rayis's Avatar
I still don't see this character being female, I just see him as being a young boy
AppleMIX
Member
(06-11-2014, 04:58 AM)
AppleMIX's Avatar

Originally Posted by TetraGenesis

I honestly cannot believe there is still a debate. That's a girl.

That was the whole point of the reveal with the cloak flying away and everything. We all expected the same male Link we always get but the cloak flies away and "Oh my god! That's a girl!"

Now whether that is a Zelda, which I personally believe (Prince Link anyone?), or Linkette is up for debate.

But whether or not that character is female should not even be on the table.

It clearly is on the table because people just assumed it was a effeminate link.
Laconic
Banned
(06-11-2014, 04:59 AM)

Originally Posted by JasonMCG

Better look.

That is a dude. Link confirmed. With a classier waredrobe.
Zeyphersan
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:00 AM)
Zeyphersan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rayis

I still don't see this character being female, I just see him as being a young boy

Wayy too tall to be a young boy
-Kees-
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:00 AM)
-Kees-'s Avatar
One thing I haven't seen brought up yet: if this isn't Link then having it be another male protagonist doesn't make much sense to me. It's a complete lateral move to swap one blank male avatar with another.
TetraGenesis
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:00 AM)
TetraGenesis's Avatar

Originally Posted by AppleMIX

It clearly is on the table because people just assumed it was a effeminate link.

I didn't say it wasn't. I said it shouldn't.

Originally Posted by Heroman

They would never change links gender. He will be the main hero in this game.

Why does the Hero of Time have to be male? There's no reason. Other than tradition. Which Aonuma has made explicitly clear he's trying to throw out the window.
Last edited by TetraGenesis; 06-11-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Htown
STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
(06-11-2014, 05:00 AM)
Htown's Avatar
the thing that makes me think it's not Link is that not only is the character using a bow, there is no shield or sword in evidence anywhere on that character's person or horse. It's JUST the bow.
FalconLorenzo
Junior Member
(06-11-2014, 05:00 AM)
FalconLorenzo's Avatar

Originally Posted by ColtraineGF

Then who... o_O

probably some other guy who wears Link's suit and is basically treated as Link

or this is actually Zelda, and we save Link *_*

1.) S/He is not wearing Link's tunic. It's like a blue shirt and chinos, not the typical green tunic.

2.) You don't know how much I would adore that!
ElectricKaibutsu
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:00 AM)
ElectricKaibutsu's Avatar

Originally Posted by TetraGenesis

I honestly cannot believe there is still a debate. That's a girl.

That was the whole point of the reveal with the cloak flying away and everything. We all expected the same male Link we always get but the cloak flies away and "Oh my god! That's a girl!"

Now whether that is a Zelda, which I personally believe (Prince Link anyone?), or Linkette is up for debate.

But whether or not that character is female should not even be on the table.

If it was supposed to be that obvious than why doesn't Aonuma just say it's a girl?
TaiKH92
Banned
(06-11-2014, 05:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Admiral Woofington

Link confirmed to be confused about his sexuality. The temples are actually an exploration of his inner desires.

lol
Admiral Woofington
m'Souls, m'lady
(06-11-2014, 05:01 AM)
Admiral Woofington's Avatar

Originally Posted by TetraGenesis

I honestly cannot believe there is still a debate. That's a girl..

How can you not believe it? You seriously can't comprehend how a troll response like that plus a character who has always been a bit on the feminine side could cause some people to believe it could still be a male?

It hasn't been confirmed and every other title has starred a male. I'm not saying it's impossible for this character to be a female, but this line of thinking is a bit off considering there is zero confirmation and no evidence to back it up outside of looks. I think speculation is still warranted don't you?
Papercuts
fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
(06-11-2014, 05:02 AM)
Papercuts's Avatar

Originally Posted by Askherserenity

Dude, look at the eye lashes in the pictures. Its a girl.





Zoom in on Link's face.
deltatheta
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:02 AM)
Zelda disguised as Link for story reasons. Calling it now.
-Horizon-
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:03 AM)
-Horizon-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by OmegaDL50

Someone said they saw the sword and shield on the horse. I watched the video several times and I still don't see it.

I don't ever recall Link being showcased in any previous Zelda game outside of Crossbow Training using a Bow as a main weapon.

Also the fact that the Arrows of these bows can shine with some kind of Light energy, like how the Mastersword can fire a beam of energy is interesting enough.

Isn't Zelda known for using an "Arrow of Light"

This is picking at my brain. I need more details.

I mean even in the earliest parts of the game Link usually gets a basic sword and shield before he obtains the Bow.

The fact they are showcasing this character using a Bow that can fire arrows that shine with light, is giving me the impression that could possibly be Zelda.

I know Link has used Silver Arrows before, but never shot off an arrow of light without Zelda's help, so I'm just going by what I see.

The shield can be seen in the screenshot below in a post DSN2K made. The sword is on the other side. You can see the handle, hilt, and sheath on the other in a couple of frames before they jump off the horse. It is not the quiver. The quiver is on their back.
Here are some screenshots of the sword.


The light arrow is in front of the scabbard, it is held separately from the other arrows. You can tell based on the design of the head of the arrow that it is the one used at the end of the trailer.


You can see the sword again more clearly as the pull the single light magic arrow away.


You can see the handle of the sword right above the saddle at the bottom there.

Originally Posted by DSN2K



anything from this ? can see the saddle and Shield.

To fight an enemy that is in the water, bow and arrow from a distance to reveal the weak point is a better choice.

Sorry for the bad quality screen shots, I'm on my phone and got them from the YouTube app.
AppleMIX
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:03 AM)
AppleMIX's Avatar

Originally Posted by TetraGenesis

I didn't say it wasn't. I said it shouldn't.

I do not agree with that. Human beings can be Masculine, Feminine or anything in between. Just because someone looks feminine doesn't mean that person is a female.
Laconic
Banned
(06-11-2014, 05:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Admiral Woofington

Link confirmed to be confused about his sexuality. The temples are actually an exploration of his inner desires.

Link, Tri-sexual confirmed. Triforce no longer a force, but an innate desire.
Segnaro
Junior Member
(06-11-2014, 05:03 AM)
Segnaro's Avatar
Looks more like a tween boy Link than a girl Link.
MattyG
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:04 AM)
MattyG's Avatar

Originally Posted by Netherscourge

GIRL - her eyelashes are outrageous



AND NO ADAMS APPLE!

This shot shows the eyelashes even better. They are quite feminine.

But then, weren't Link's eyelashes in SS pretty pronounced as well?
Satch
ch... deal with ya tag sis before you get clockT. now sashay away.
(06-11-2014, 05:04 AM)
Satch's Avatar

Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC

Aonuma going after POPGAF demographic

well trust me when i say its working
Admiral Woofington
m'Souls, m'lady
(06-11-2014, 05:06 AM)
Admiral Woofington's Avatar
Imagine if it ends up still being a male after this excitement/speculation. Then Nintendo will have disappointed fans twice (gay marriage and now this)
Mononoke
Banned
(06-11-2014, 05:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Ashodin

People who were saying Link has an established history or some shit are really reaching. Like other people said, he's an avatar, a vehicle for the story. You rise up as "Link" or whoever you create and save the day. It's possible that you can make your character now, and be even more avatar than before.

Honestly, at this point I don't see why Link couldn't be female. For me, the idea behind Link has always been that the hero always rises in every generation. It's not the same person every time (obviously it can't be). Given how the game has played out using Link over the years, why couldn't one generation be a female?
Soroc
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:06 AM)
Soroc's Avatar

Originally Posted by -Horizon-

The shield can be seen in the screenshot below in a post DSN2K made. The sword is on the other side. You can see the handle, hilt, and sheath on the other in a couple of frames before they jump off the horse. It is not the quiver. The quiver is on their back.
Here are some screenshots of the sword.


The light arrow is in front of the scabbard, it is held separately from the other arrows. You can tell based on the design of the head of the arrow that it is the one used at the end of the trailer.


You can see the sword again more clearly as the pull the single light magic arrow away.


You can see the handle of the sword right above the saddle at the bottom there.



To fight an enemy that is in the water, bow and arrow from a distance to reveal the weak point is a better choice.

Sorry for the bad quality screen shots, I'm on my phone and got them from the YouTube app.

Nice find! The sword is clearly there.
TaiKH92
Banned
(06-11-2014, 05:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Laconic

Link, Tri-sexual confirmed. Triforce no longer a force, but an innate desire.

lol this topic is delivering
ElectricKaibutsu
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:07 AM)
ElectricKaibutsu's Avatar

Originally Posted by -Horizon-

The shield can be seen in the screenshot below in a post DSN2K made. The sword is on the other side. You can see the handle, hilt, and sheath on the other in a couple of frames before they jump off the horse. It is not the quiver. The quiver is on their back.
Here are some screenshots of the sword.


The light arrow is in front of the scabbard, it is held separately from the other arrows. You can tell based on the design of the head of the arrow that it is the one used at the end of the trailer.


You can see the sword again more clearly as the pull the single light magic arrow away.


You can see the handle of the sword right above the saddle at the bottom there.



To fight an enemy that is in the water, bow and arrow from a distance to reveal the weak point is a better choice.

Sorry for the bad quality screen shots, I'm on my phone and got them from the YouTube app.

Nice catch. I saw the shield but not the sword.
Heroman
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:07 AM)
Heroman's Avatar

Originally Posted by TetraGenesis

\


Why does the Hero of Time have to be male? There's no reason. Other than tradition. Which Aonuma has made explicitly clear he's trying to throw out the window.

Because they would never change the gender of one of their biggest characters. It like making Mario a girl it never gonna happen.
AnathemicOne
Banned
(06-11-2014, 05:08 AM)
Female Link would be a refreshing take on the franchise and I would welcome it. But regardless male/female shouldn't matter as Link is an avatar for each individual game, just like Zelda and to a lesser extent Ganon.
Laconic
Banned
(06-11-2014, 05:08 AM)
Elves are not delicate, slender demihumans. Not in the slightest. Clearly there is overwhelming precedence favoring this character being female.
LegendX48
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:08 AM)
LegendX48's Avatar

Originally Posted by Papercuts





Zoom in on Link's face.

He's got a little eyelash point on the same parts of his eyes on each one but the placement is different from that of this supposed new character. The upper placement on the new character in the reveal kind of changes the overall vibe in a subtle way and just enough to make it look straight up female to me.
jakomocha
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:08 AM)
jakomocha's Avatar
I don't know, I can't tell if it was Zelda or Link or someone else. I think they'd keep Link in green if it were him though, which is why I feel inclined to believe it was someone else.

Maybe there are multiple protagonists this time around?

EDIT:
Detective Gaf, any hints in this scene which was shown off in the Nintendo Direct?:

Zooming in on the character is too blurry for me.
Last edited by jakomocha; 06-11-2014 at 05:13 AM.
ElectricKaibutsu
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:08 AM)
ElectricKaibutsu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Heroman

Because they would never change the gender of one of their biggest characters. It like making Mario a girl it never gonna happen.

I highly doubt it would simply be a female Link. The main character just might not be Link.
Iamwolfthing
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:09 AM)
Iamwolfthing's Avatar

Originally Posted by Htown

the thing that makes me think it's not Link is that not only is the character using a bow, there is no shield or sword in evidence anywhere on that character's person or horse. It's JUST the bow.

Also, this character is using the bow right-handed. They seem to really pay attention to the fact that Link is left-handed in every game too.
Lernaean
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:10 AM)
Lernaean's Avatar
Now he is just trolling. XD
Uncle Rupee
Banned
(06-11-2014, 05:10 AM)
Uncle Rupee's Avatar
It has probably already been said, but if that's Link where is his sword?
No sword = no penis!

Plus Zelda has typically always used a bow in her fighting scenes in the games.
Ryuelli
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:10 AM)
Ryuelli's Avatar

Originally Posted by Admiral Woofington

Imagine if it ends up still being a male after this excitement/speculation. Then Nintendo will have disappointed fans twice (gay marriage and now this)

I would legitimately be disappointed if they changed Link's gender for no reason, sorry if that bothers you all. I would still buy the game, I would still enjoy it (assuming it's more Wind Waker and less Skyward Sword), but to me, Link will always be a guy.

I would much, much rather they have a playable Zelda (or Aryll) or create a new franchise based around a female hero if they're wanting to be more progressive.
Last edited by Ryuelli; 06-11-2014 at 05:12 AM.
dmr87
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:10 AM)
dmr87's Avatar
Still no explanation for the horse.
Laconic
Banned
(06-11-2014, 05:10 AM)

Originally Posted by jakomocha

I don't know, I can't tell if it was Zelda or Link or someone else. I think they'd keep Link in green if it were him though, which is why I feel inclined to believe it was someone else.

Maybe there are multiple protagonists this time around?

Maybe it is Link after a couple of armor upgrades? ^__-
Ataru
Member
(06-11-2014, 05:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Laconic

Elves are not delicate, slender demihumans. Not in the slightest. Clearly there is overwhelming precedence favoring this character being female.

Sarcasm, right?

I'm pretty sure this is Link, and male Link at that, probably in his early/mid teens.

But I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Thread Tools