• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom completely denies that their COO says SF5 could have pay2win mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usobuko

Banned
Nothing sets in stone, I can't help but think Capcom would rather avoid the negative PR should they go with it. They would mostly model themselves after Valve to some extent or do the same thing they did last gen.

gorfyako

Banned
This begs the question of... do we really NEED Street Fighter 5?

Look how fucking packed full of content and playerbase Street Fighter IV is now with Ultra. That can go for another 10 years if you let it. A new age Super Turbo, if you will.

And there's no way in hell a SF5 can manage equal content of what SF4 became, even in 5 years. I have absolutely no problem with letting them get whatever they can out of SF4, because it's the new standard, and the most familiar to gamers, and people are continuously supporting every update. There is no equal in terms of worldwide appeal in terms of fighting games that equals SF4.

We don't NEED Street Fighter 5.

Coming from someone who doesn't play the game but mainly watches it on tournaments like EVO, I'd say yeah, we need another Street Fighter. Hell, we just need more fighting games in general. This year's line-up at EVO is much the same as the last few years. It gets boring. New games need to come in to mix things up. Ultra is new, but it's not entirely new. Back in the 90's, there were new iterations coming out yearly -- or even biannually -- to keep things exciting.

Again, this is from a viewer, not a player.

I can finally be good in Street Fighter!
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

VariantX

Instead of this pay-2-win garbage im reading about, why not work on having non garbage-tier matchmaking so people are paired off with other people at their own skill level? How about looking at the tutorials of games like skullgirls, blazblue, vf5 to explain concepts to new players? Why not have significant single player content like they used to have like in SFA3U's world tour?? Why is it that they got to take the easy way out with this crap?

BigDug13

Nothing that's not the point, it's never been about making it easier for casuals (that's a shitty excuse) it's about, it's about milking the player base dry.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. If there's no way to prevent skilled players from purchasing advantage packs, then they really haven't given casual, unskilled players any advantage at all and have only created an environment where a skilled player that pays will dominate so other skilled players will feel like they also need to pay. And unskilled players who don't pay will be at an even greater disadvantage than before.

In other words, their reason is bullshit if a skilled player is capable of buying the advantages.

Riposte

Instead of this pay-2-win garbage im reading about, why not work on having non garbage-tier matchmaking so people are paired off with other people at their own skill level? How about looking at the tutorials of games like skullgirls, blazblue, vf5 to explain concepts to new players? Why not have significant single player content like they used to have like in SFA3U's world tour?? Why is it that they got to take the easy way out with this crap?

They should just replace some players with crappy CPUs if someone loses enough.

Pay to win does NOT help newbies win. If you're bad you're still going to get murdered. This kinda crap only helps give advantages to more advanced scumbag type of players...
I remember that old Marvel 3 quote

"A shitty player with X-Factor is stupid. Justin Wong with X-Factor is fucking retarded"

I would be outraged, but THIS IS CAPCOM. Capcom has fell out of relevancy for a long time now. They proved that they hate the customer and just want to make money. It is like mini-EA.

Gartooth

Hahahaha fuck off Capcom. I'm not going to lose matches online because someone who is shit at the game decides to pay out the ass. Apparently learned nothing from the bad reception of Street Fighter x Tekken. (Gems, DLC characters)

Nothing sets in stone, I can't help but think Capcom would rather avoid the negative PR should they go with it. They would mostly model themselves after Valve to some extent or do the same thing they did last gen.
It doesn't matter if it's set in stone or not. Having this kind of consideration while actually greenlighting the game says a lot for their future plans.

They might not go with a pay to win model, but I can be sure they'll try to scam people somewhere else.

Kumubou

Capcom confirmed for not learning a damn thing from SFxT.

How about developing and implementing a really great tutorial system for new players instead?
That would require an expectation that players to actually learn how to play the game -- can't have that!!! Just have them mash on money to become godlike instead. Me and my credit card is going to body Daigo!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Capcom, you fucks.

You didn't learn a goddamn thing from SFxT. You deserve the failure you've reserved for yourself.

nded

Maybe instead of shitting in the competitive pool with P2W crap Capcom could offer interesting single-player modes and training options for new players to sink their teeth into. Hell, they can go ahead and charge for DLC game modes and individual character tutorials/guides if they're so intent on microtransactions.

Bizazedo

Honestly this is just the usual overreaction phase, I've seen it happen multiple times. By the time SF5 is announced and we see the 'pay for advantage' system won't affect the major FGC scene and pro players we'll go back to bitching about why character A sucks and why Character J is overpowered.

Seen it multiple times? And seen the games bounce back?

Citations please?

Zephyrus

Banned
Orginally My post was going to be a list of stuff I wanted for sf5, it wasn't anything major I was just gonna say bring some costumes back bring back alex and stuff.

But I read the actual thing,

And capcom no, please god no. Don't ruin SF

I wouldn't say that.

Street fighter has a lot of people who aren't exactly invovled with the main plot , however having an actual story mode with scenes and multiple through lines instead of the radaen wants to to save the world narrative would be fantastic.
it's the best way to make casuals become interested in your game.

Not this pay to win shit.

Damaniel

Banned
As an admittedly shitty SF player, the idea of pay-for-advantage is disgusting. There are more player-friendly (but not profit-friendly) ways of making matches fairer for less skilled players - competent skill-based player matching, for example.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Citations please?
Yeah, the pattern of Capcom doubling down on shit everyone is upset about and wanting them to chance is impeccable really.

I had hope with RE6, but it's fizzling away again.

fader

Nothing. Capcom doesn't care about closing the skill bracket, this is just another BS way to monetize their games even further.

im expecting a notification to appear before fights and each players enters an auction, and the player with the highest bid, gets 100% health while the other gets 1%.

Pay 2 win is horrid and I am sooo disappointed they didn't learn from SFxT. Guess I'm going to moba.

You know...

...nope, I got nothing. If the MM system is working correctly, you shouldn't ever be in a situation where you're going to get rofflestomped unless you just don't know how to play the game yet. And yes, the game will have a learning curve. It doesn't need an "easy" button. It just needs to make sure you're not getting stuck in matchmaking facing off against people with vastly more experience and skill on anything but a very occasional basis.

Charging for brass knuckles or a handicap meter boost helps nobody get better at the game.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
"We'd like to steer away from making the next game such that skilled players will win, but unskilled players will lose almost instantaneously," Tsujimoto said.

This part needs to fuck off more than the pay for stuff part

fader

and i hate this logic of unskilled players getting disengaged when playing an skilled player. That's life. TOUGH.
If i challenge Jon Jones to a MMA fight I will get knocked out, you cannot compare someone who trains for a specific thing to someone who is just starting. How about they fix things like matchmaking putting the noobs in one pot and the skilled people in another but this is clearly a way to monetize the genre since Capcom really is'nt doing well.

Silky

Banned

Citations please?

Last generation Capcom titles? There were a lot of negative reactions to Dead Rising 2, Strider, Marvel 3, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Devil May Cry 4, and Lost Planet's reveals. When they released, they were all met with really positive reception.

Compare that to Super Turbo HD & RE6's reveals which were hyped to hell, but ultimately lauded by fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom