• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELLDIVERS (PS4 | PS3 | PSVITA)

Excited for the game, but there are some design decisions that worry me.

a. Friendly fire sounds great in theory, but without options to blockade what looks like never ending swarms of bugs, this is a problem. Watched the IGN and GB quick looks, and party members don't seem to have the opportunity to create a reprieve situation. If you're going to have friendly fire and force people to communicate, make sure somebody has the ability to create temporary blockades so that people can plan and strategize and/or effectively corral the swarms. Frankly, any type of solid advanced support system whereby players are incentivized to help one another is great. Shields. Buffs. Whatever. Even a class system.

b. swarms of bugs popping up from EVERYWHERE = cruel just to be cruel design. This is silly.

c. The game doesn't need to use every button on the Vita, right? It's a twin stick shooter. Why add street fighter-style button commands to do simple stuff like call in support or bombs, when a simple select-wheel will do? Getting the vibe that the devs just want to make this difficult for the sake of being difficult so that it stands out.

d. When devs make games like this without tons of variation in enemy designs, AI attack patterns, or boss/sub boss encounters, it makes me wonder what they were looking at for inspiration. This game could really use that stuff.

Cautiously optimistic. Not much non-japanese stuff coming down the VITA pipeline, and this is the closest we'll get to a diablo style game. More excited about stuff like this, Galak-Z, and Binding of Issac than AAA releases for the console. Now port some PC gems, MMO's, or Western RPGs (Divinity? FTL? even Guild Wars?) and you have a VERY interesting little portable system.
Try Magicka. That'll give you a feel for the game.

Excited for the game, but there are some design decisions that worry me.

a. Friendly fire sounds great in theory, but without options to blockade what looks like never ending swarms of bugs, this is a problem. Watched the IGN and GB quick looks, and party members don't seem to have the opportunity to create a reprieve situation. If you're going to have friendly fire and force people to communicate, make sure somebody has the ability to create temporary blockades so that people can plan and strategize and/or effectively corral the swarms. Frankly, any type of solid advanced support system whereby players are incentivized to help one another is great. Shields. Buffs. Whatever. Even a class system.

People are going to learn to stick together. You can't just run around everywhere, and the game sounds great because of that. There is no reason you shouldn't be moving as one unit. I am really excited for it, and friendly fire just adds to the mindfulness one has to play with.

I am under the impression there are opportunities for teammates to assist one another

People are going to learn to stick together. You can't just run around everywhere, and the game sounds great because of that. There is no reason you shouldn't be moving as one unit. I am really excited for it, and friendly fire just adds to the mindfulness one has to play with.

I am under the impression there are opportunities for teammates to assist one another

fingers crossed. VITA just seems like the perfect system for online co-op games. shocked that we've not seem more games like this. I don't care if they're PS4 hand-me-downs as long as they're not just remote play.

Played this at E3. It is so freakin' hard and clunky. However, the guy at the machine said it was intended for coop and I played it alone.

The clunky controls I'm sure are intentional, but I didn't find them fun.

Nixonomics

I'm really excited for this release. Local co-op games make great drinking games.

Each player will be able to choose a weapon and stratagem before the mission. My assumption is that there will be weapons and stratagems that work better for crowd control - as well as weapons that are better at dealing massive damage and killing larger bugs. In the screens in the OP I saw a stratagem icon that looked like mines, as well as an icon that looked like a shield of some sort.

b. swarms of bugs popping up from EVERYWHERE = cruel just to be cruel design. This is silly.

c. The game doesn't need to use every button on the Vita, right? It's a twin stick shooter. Why add street fighter-style button commands to do simple stuff like call in support or bombs, when a simple select-wheel will do? Getting the vibe that the devs just want to make this difficult for the sake of being difficult so that it stands out.

The devs are really adamant about building tension and creating a stressful environment. Having to remember and correctly input a sequence of buttons to call in a stratagem helps force that mood. The developers previous title, Magicka, was built around a very similar mechanic and was tremendously fun to play co-op - mostly because it was so unique, demanding, and tense.

d. When devs make games like this without tons of variation in enemy designs, AI attack patterns, or boss/sub boss encounters, it makes me wonder what they were looking at for inspiration. This game could really use that stuff.

Why do you think there won't be any enemy variation? I saw at least three different bug types in OP screens. I imagine there will be a variety of enemies types, requiring diverse loadouts and weapon choices among the team.

I'm really excited for this release. Local co-op games make great drinking games.

Each player will be able to choose a weapon and stratagem before the mission. My assumption is that there will be weapons and stratagems that work better for crowd control - as well as weapons that are better at dealing massive damage and killing larger bugs. In the screens in the OP I saw a stratagem icon that looked like mines, as well as an icon that looked like a shield of some sort.

The devs are really adamant about building tension and creating a stressful environment. Having to remember and correctly input a sequence of buttons to call in a stratagem helps force that mood. The developers previous title, Magicka, was built around a very similar mechanic and was tremendously fun to play co-op - mostly because it was so unique, demanding, and tense.

Why do you think there won't be any enemy variation? I saw at least three different bug types in OP screens. I imagine there will be a variety of enemies types, requiring diverse loadouts and weapon choices among the team.

Thanks for breaking this down. I'll be GLAD to be wrong. This is the type of game that the VITA really needs to be successful. This Magika game that everyone references sounds like it would also make a great port.

Gestault

Going to wait for the reviews, but I'm definitely interested in this one.

There a GiantBomb quicklook from a while back (earlier version) that's probably worth checking out, too. It looked REALLY fun to me, especially for couch co-op.

Ballthyrm

While it is good for Arrowhead Game Studios that they found Sony to finance what looks like a great game, i found it strange that it look that they didn't make enough money with Magicka sales to continue on their own.
It is either that they have something else , their brand new ip after this one or that they already burned all the magicka money...

While it is good for Arrowhead Game Studios that they found Sony to finance what looks like a great game, i found it strange that it look that they didn't make enough money with Magicka sales to continue on their own.
It is either that they have something else , their brand new ip after this one or that they already burned all the magicka money...

They don't own Magicka, Paradox do. Pieces Interactive develop all the Magicka stuff (DLC and Magicka 2) now.

Anyone know what's happening with this game? I can't find them on Twitter to message directly, and I thought we were getting a release some time in August.

Top Bottom