• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look Back at E3 2014 (with graphs!)

I ran through the conferences of Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo and put together some graphs that I thought GAF might like to see.

Quote to get the link to the data, just above this sentence. It's a bit messy, because it's pretty tedious to keep track of time as well as game types, exclusivity, etc. so I took a couple quick shortcuts.

OuMmUDN.png

Pretty self-explanatory, I separated the games into release year categories and this is what came out.

GbUTVKy.png

A game was "being shown" if there was footage of a game, even if it was interspliced with cuts to the creators talking about the game, showing stuff on their PCs about the game, etc. I didn't cut down to the second of "gameplay on screen" vs "no gameplay on screen" because that would've been tedious. It was more of a "showing game now" vs "talking, introducing people, segues, etc."

pFJkZOH.png

This was how games were revealed or discussed at the shows. If they showed gameplay or even simulated gameplay, it went in the gameplay category. If they showed only cutscenes or straight-up CG, it went in the "nothing like gameplay" category. Talking was when they just mentioned a game, and possibly a logo or concept art, with nothing to show for it.

FU1ZNVh.png

Each game had a "type" associated with it, including whether shooting was a main or primary mechanic. I put together these graphs to show if a game's gameplay was primarily "about" shooting or about something else.

m3jHYDn.png

And finally, exclusivity of games to the platform. I tried to be accurate but I'm sure there will be a game or two that is actually multiplat when I though it was exclusive or visa-versa.

I didn't have time to do EA, Ubi, etc. but maybe next year. Also, if you guys liked these, and you have a suggestion for something to track next year, I'd be glad to hear it.

Does Bayonetta 1 count as a non-Exclusive if it's included in the second game for free?

I might've counted it as exclusive, perhaps mistakenly so due to the exclusive content, but then again I don't know that I separated it from Bayonetta 2 in the first place.

vareon

lol Nintendo's 100% exclusivity. But it has the indie games and others, or do you only count the Digital Event?

Would be more interesting if you separate the game type into something other than shooting, but dividing games into genres might be shaky and lead to unnecessary discussion.

lol Nintendo's 100% exclusivity. But it has the indie games and others, or do you only count the Digital Event?

Would be more interesting if you separate the game type into something other than shooting, but dividing games into genres might be shaky and lead to unnecessary discussion.

I only counted the Digital Event for Nintendo, considering that as their "conference."

Yeah, I actively avoided doing genres for exactly that reason. I did do a "killing" column for when you're killing things with stuff other than guns (like blades, bombs, etc) so I may post that at some point. It's pretty sad because the vast majority of games are about killing things in one way or another.

Yeah, was this done last year? Would be curious to see how they big 3 were in last years conferences. If there were major differences etc.

This is the first year I've done this, but if people like it I will probably do it into the foreseeable future.

I'm assuming you recorded your data somewhere? You should probably link it so that people don't randomly pass it off as inaccurate. That, and it could help you correct things!

Either way, this is awesome, and honestly matches up with how I felt about each conference as well afterwards.

Mr. X

MGSV shooting or other?

Also, looking at the graphs, I should check out what MS showed.

Kudos for this.

Kriken

Liking these graphs. Just hope you don't get a PM from Polygon anytime soon as a result

Edit: When you say exclusivity, did you put 'console debut/exclusive' as multiplatform?

galvenize

It's funny because from Nintendo's standpoint, Playstation and xbox have multiplatform exclusivity, thus making them also 100% exclusives?

I'm assuming you recorded your data somewhere? You should probably link it so that people don't randomly pass it off as inaccurate. That, and it could help you correct things!

Either way, this is awesome, and honestly matches up with how I felt about each conference as well afterwards.

Yeah, I can look at posting it when I get a chance to. I'm sure people will quibble with this or that but I did the best I could.

MGSV shooting or other?

Also, looking at the graphs, I should check out what MS showed.

Kudos for this.

Yeah, MGS was shooting.

What was CG during the Digital Event?

Xenoblade went in the "Nothing Like Gameplay" category not because it was CG (it probably wasn't), but because it was a story trailer of cutscenes, no gameplay.

SmokeMaxX

I didn't have time to do EA, Ubi, etc. but maybe next year. Also, if you guys liked these, and you have a suggestion for something to track next year, I'd be glad to hear it.
Thanks for these! Here's a little bit of help for EA:
Take Nintendo's "Exclusivity" picture and change the text to EA- Concept Art.

Usobuko

Banned
Chartz would look much better, stats wise, if Sony bother to showcase the PS4 Japanese games coming this year. The % for exclusivity and pewpew would look more favorable. They don't even need Vita to boost the stats here. Same goes Nintendo, they cut a few games from their E3 direct. Stuff like Mario Party, Project Steam etc.

Well then read the chart again because Sony have more exclusivs

Yeah, 36% of 42 games is around 15.

It's a bit puzzling though because it probably seems to include console debuted indies.

Yeah, 36% of 42 is around 15.

It's a bit puzzling though because it probably seems to include console debuted indies.

The reason it's higher is because of their F2P/etc games reel... Ratchet, Fat Princess, etc. If you're not counting Indie/F2P/etc reels Sony showed 10 exclusives.

SmokeMaxX

It's funny because from Nintendo's standpoint, Playstation and xbox have multiplatform exclusivity, thus making them also 100% exclusives?
Well sorta. That's assuming that you can only choose one console. If you have a WiiU and you want a multiplatform game, it doesn't matter which console you pick for the most part. You can get either an XBone or PS4 and be happy. However if you have an XBone or a PS4, you pretty much have to get a WiiU if you want WiiU exclusive games.

Locuza

Unfortunately, Sony's trend towards "teh cinematic" has killed my interest in a lot of their exclusives.

Yeah Ratchet and Clank, Bloodborn, LPB3 or Entwined and so on are very "teh cinematic". I would rather take Gameplay monster like Yoshi Garn too

And also misleading because he only looked at the Digital Event. In the Treehouse we saw a rare number of multiplat games. Rare but they do exist.

Wasn't my intent to be "misleading" but I guess I could've put the word "conferences" in the title of the thread. I did indicate it clearly in the OP though.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Yeah Ratchet and Clank, Bloodborn, LPB3 or Entwined and so on are very "teh cinematic". I would rather take Gameplay monster like Yoshi Garn too

Oh, I see. I thought you were just trying to correct me but you were offended by my comment. Carry on then!

Rflagg

Awesome work . I saw some surprises for me at least, it seemed msoft had more exclusives than Sony form what I was able to see, both in conference and threads about games.

Top Bottom