• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland |OT| Shin Rorona Tensei

Rarutos

iXCJXti.png

cgxurd8.png

Release Date: 20 June, 2014 (PAL) / June 24, 2014 (NA)
Platform: PS3 (Physical and Digital) / Vita (Digital Only)
Cross-Save: YES
Cross-Buy: NOPE (though the DLC is)
Developer: GUST
Publisher: Tecmo-Koei
Text Language: English
Audio Language: English, Japanese
Size: 4.6 GB (PS3) | 2.9 GB (Vita)

[Official NA Site] [Official EU Site] [Official Facebook Page]

[NA Store Page (PS3 with Bonus)] [NA Store Page (Vita with 3 DLCs)]

CbKx0MH.png

Since the story and basic premise is the same as the original Rorona, please check our Volcynika's lovely OT from way back when! It's also good for comparison screenshots!

This OT is mostly going to focus on what's "New" makes the "Plus" in Rorona Plus!

rIwvpKG.png

JUyScWc.png
Nx15Jnh.png
HrZalWx.png
IYivVKq.png
dPceLhw.png
JTUibnh.png
fuIB0Ne.png

FYwiaTK.png
T0toi67.png
Bakyjj4.png
Qba8LVe.png
fn1TqnY.png
0CcTIy6.png
zlDgeqy.png

Plus Cole, Rorona's parents (Ryan and Laura), Totori, and Meruru.

svhc07C.png

Click images for bigger versions, if so desired. This will double as a screenshots section.

Please check the official site for a comprehensive section on new stuff, though it repeats itself a little. I'm only giving little summaries for whatever I thought was new enough to be put here.

ytc0d2X.png

=>
No more objectively ugly chibi graphics for Rorona. Now we have fancy 3D models comparable to Atelier Meruru's! Heck, I'm pretty sure Totori and Meruru just use their Meruru models.

eSl39ZL.png

Synthesis system taken from Atelier Meruru! Now you can choose the traits you want!!! Though it is pretty standard by now...

WDigOnO.png

THERE IS MP NOW!!! No more element bar, and instead we get a regular old support bar. Basically another thing ripped from Meruru. Yay new assist attacks and super moves?

GCcJZy9.png

*gasp* Something not copied from Meruru, but from Escha & Logy! So new! Sterk is once again placed in the role of giving you your tasks, much like Marion does in Escha & Logy. You get extra stuff for doing extra things, bingo style.

FVwWJmL.png

Oh no! Totori and Meruru from the future have somehow gotten sent back in time, right after Rorona saves her workshop! How could such a thing have happened?! It was probably Astrid's fault.

Now Totori and Meruru have to seek out their not-yet teacher, possibly causing time paradoxes, but also giving us one extra in-game year to find a way to send them back to their proper time.

ro6NvCI.png

Along with the obvious Totori and Meruru being party members as they search for a way back to their home time...

Super cool front desk castle secretary, Esty Erhard Dee joins the battle! Also, Astrid finally gets off her lazy ass to assist her precious pupil... For a high price... They join before Overtime Mode.

kxSXVfk.png

Put stuff in a Time Capsule for Totori and Meruru and they'll send you something fancier back! Apparently it's not actually that useful, but I guess it's cool?

No, you can't actually send things to Totori Plus or Meruru Plus, contrary to what official sources originally said.

fSD5334.png

Not exactly "New" a Plus, but Orthogalaxen has expanded with more floors and meaner bosses.

The Abyssal Tower from Totori shows up for some reason too. I doubt you can actually go beyond north and east of Arland, so how does that even work?!

Machina Domain also shows up, and that's supposed to be all the way in Arls, so it makes even less sense!

Obviously, there are probably bosses tougher than the main game in these extra areas that require ultimate equips and bombs to beat.

KdFP674.png

Such as in the other "Plus" games, Rorona Plus has new costumes for some characters. Rorona, Totori, Meruru, Sterk (surprisingly), and Lionela all get additional costumes.

I'm only posting Sterk's because his is the most important.

ToPYzEe.png

In the original Rorona, the Atelier was slowly decorated as you synthesized new items, however, Rorona Plus apparently allows you to customize how you decorate it!

Supposedly, different decorations give different effects. Useful items like the Secret Bag and Spring Cup are implemented here and apparently you can transfer these to NG+.

ckscyxW.png

You can now plant stuff in a little garden outside of Rorona's Atelier. You can get different seeds to plant and get different traits on them.

gMt5sKk.png

There's (finally) a log for dialogue! Not even Escha & Logy had this, yet Ar tonelico III did. Why wasn't this implemented before?!

There's a theatre mode where you can go back and rewatch scenes whenever you want, how convenient!

Obviously, there's a few new events here and there, as well. Though the bulk of it is probably in Overtime Mode with Totori and Meruru.

Events also show up on the Shortcut Menu now much like Escha & Logy! Also choosing endings.

5BY0ZUT.png

ghH9eM5.png

Digital Chumps - 8.8
Digitally Downloaded - ★★★★★
GameRevolution - 4.0
God is a Geek - 7/10
Push Square - ★★★★★★★★★☆
Siliconera
USGamer - 5/5

enSijXU.png

Q: Is this a good place to jump into the series?
A: Yes, you can basically jump into Atelier with any game you please. Though I personally suggest release order, including this one. It would probably be better to play at least Totori before Rorona Plus, because Rorona Plus will be better mechanically than Totori overall. If you want to start chronologically, this is the place to start. Though the Overtime Mode kind of follows up the new ending that was added in Meruru Plus, or so I've heard.

If you don't care, then just play whatever you want first! I personally think the best place to jump in is original Rorona, but many people believe Totori to be better because it's just so much better mechanically. My first traditional Atelier game was Annie, but I've followed the series since Atelier Iris 1 was first released here.

Q: Is there a time limit?
A: Yes, as with the original Rorona, it will probably be stricter than Escha & Logy's. But with the new additions, I'm not sure how much stricter it will be than the original Rorona's. I personally didn't think original Rorona's was that strict either, though.

Q: I hear there are save data bonuses! What games should I have saves for, and what do they give?
Basically all PS3 and Vita Atelier games give a bonus. (Atelier Rorona, Totori, Meruru, Ayesha, Escha & Logy, Totori Plus, Meruru Plus) Though you obviously have to own both versions to get all of them. Some of them give full costumes, while others just give accessories. For example, having an Escha & Logy save will give you Escha's hat.

Q: Preorder Bonuses?
A: Yes. I know Gamestop in the US is getting one. Rorona Plus Vita will come with all 3 pre-order costumes in the first four weeks, the PS3 digital version will come with one of them, and the GS preorder has two of them. I can't find anything about bonuses on Europe at the moment, so maybe some EU peeps can help out?!

Q: Any DLC?
A: Not that I know of.

Vld3Lgf.png

Thanks to Maeryn for helping a bit with graphics, Noxie for being cool, Tecmo-Koei EU's Rorona Plus Official Site for some images, dakkumauji for NA preorder info, ohlawd for some more specific details, and you guys for reading this. Let me know if anything needs fixing, thanks!

Durante

Playable Esty & Astrid? I guess I'll have to get this at some point.

Great thread btw., lots of information.

UberTag

Will be buying this at launch but it'll reside in my backlog a bit.
Had a blast with Atelier Totori Plus in netting its platinum earlier this year.
Plan to tackle this one after conquering Meruru Plus.

Hope the Vita games in this series keep getting localized. I intend to buy them all.

Christhor

Got my pre-order ready. It will be fun going back to Rorona, seeing as this is the only one of the PS3 titles I never beat. And this game definitely had the best music and characters out of the Arland games imo.

You make such nice Atelier threads :)

I can't wait to pick this up. I still have the original Rorona sealed, glad I waited, will be here soon :D

Nice OT.

Just put in my pre-order for this last week. I'm glad they are finally giving extra costumes to other characters besides the main, especially the dudes. I hope that Sterk costume isn't hard to get.

Atelier Totori was great on the Vita. However the framerate slowdown while swinging the wand was irritating. Did this issue get rectified in Meruru and Rorona?

Rarutos

You make such nice Atelier threads :)

Thank you, comments like this make doing these worth it. I just recently started a new job so I was considering not doing it because I didn't know just how busy I was going to be.

Thanks a lot!

Atelier Totori was great on the Vita. However the framerate slowdown while swinging the wand was irritating. Did this issue get rectified in Meruru and Rorona?
Haven't played Meruru Plus myself yet, but I'm pretty sure they're a lot better.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I don't remember if it's fixed in meruru but I definitely did not notice it as much as I did in Totori.

Can't wait for this. Loved totori and meruru on the vita.

I had a great time with Totori Plus but I found the time limit quite restrictive...

Is the time limit in Rorona more forgiving?

I'm surprised by the amount of new content/improvements, glad I skipped it when I started playing this series, will definitely check it out now.

Very informative OT, great job Rarutos!

TheChaos0

I had a great time with Totori Plus but I found the time limit quite restrictive...

Is the time limit in Rorona more forgiving?

Rorona was always the most restrictive, given the nature of 3 month tasks. Totori was pretty much "do whatever you want for 3 years". If you mwan the general task time limits, then it's about the same. Although, once you are familiar with the system, you should naturally be more efficient with each game you have played in the series.

It's nice to see the years amount to be increased by 2, maybe I'll replay Rorona at some point in the future.

Rarutos

Very informative OT, great job Rarutos!
Thanks a bunch!

Oh wait, are all the Vita versions cross-save? How would you get Vita save bonuses for the game on PS3?

No, you misunderstood. If you have data for Totori Plus and Meruru Plus and buy the Vita version of Rorona Plus, you will unlock those bonuses. Then if you use cross-save to transfer to your PS3 version's save, those bonuses will unlock there. And if you have Rorona, Totori, Meruru, Ayesha, and Escha & Logy saves, you will get more bonuses. This also works the other way, have the PS3 version first, unlock those bonuses there, transfer to Vita, etc. So the only way to get all the extra costumes and accessories is to have both versions and all of the different PS3/Vita games that are out.

It's nice to see the years amount to be increased by 2, maybe I'll replay Rorona at some point in the future.
Well, it technically has it. The main game works the same but after you get an ending Totori and Meruru show up to cause time travel hijinks and give you two years to find a way to bring them back. Actually I'm not sure how many years it adds, I just heard two.

Coxy

nice OT

I have saves from all the PS3 games but I think some were US saves so I dunno if they'll work, oh well.

luokyl

Not sure if save begging is above board on NeoGAF, but would anyone happen to have EU system data and save data for Ayesha PS3?

Ayesha is the only game in the Atelier series that I bought a US copy of, and I know the save bonus is just a hat, but I want it.

vall03

Disappointment from E3, no Ayesha Plus announcement, but I can actually wait for that one since I have a bad feeling that if they announce it, its release might be near SSB3DS or Pokemon:OR/AS, which is also what I fear for Persona Q.

Other than that, I can't wait for the game, I'm kind of in a slump lately in gaming and I've been playing the same games over and over again. Hopefully, I get addicted to Rorona Plus the same way I got addicted to Escha&Logy back in March.

Rarutos

So do these games come out every other day? Seems like just 2 dropped last month.
Escha & Logy came out in March. This is a remake so localization didn't take as long as the main story is basically the same, so it had a somewhat fast turnaround.

If Ayesha Plus is coming out I assume it'll be in the Fall-ish, but that's a port so it'll be even less work in terms of localization. So while it seems like they're coming out often, it's technically going to slow down a bit after Shallie assumingly comes out in Spring 2015 unless they announce Eschatology Plus.

Coxy

Disappointment from E3, no Ayesha Plus announcement, but I can actually wait for that one since I have a bad feeling that if they announce it, its release might be near SSB3DS or Pokemon:OR/AS, which is also what I fear for Persona Q.

Other than that, I can't wait for the game, I'm kind of in a slump lately in gaming and I've been playing the same games over and over again. Hopefully, I get addicted to Rorona Plus the same way I got addicted to Escha&Logy back in March.

Tecmo Koei actually said they're working on some stuff to announce in the next couple of weeks, fingers crossed for Ar No Surge and Ayesha vita

vall03

Tecmo Koei actually said they're working on some stuff to announce in the next couple of weeks, fingers crossed for Ar No Surge and Ayesha vita

I guess I missed that, and then I get reminded about Ar no Surge too. More announcements from Tecmo Koei then! End of 2014 is going to be crazy for me with all these possible game announcements and releases.

Super duper cool OT!

And only because you are a super duper fancy person, I dug this up:

So looks like getting the Vita version nets you all the costumes while you can't get that off preorder bonuses on the PS3 version. I don't know if the DLC is cross-compatible though for all those silly folks getting both versions.

Surprisingly, the EU twitter account didn't have anything listed in terms of pre-order bonuses.

Oh no! Totori and Meruru from the future have somehow gotten sent back in time, right after Rorona saves her workshop! How could such a thing have happened?! It was probably Astrid's fault.

Now Totori and Meruru have to seek out their not-yet teacher, possibly causing time paradoxes, but also giving us two extra in-game years to find a way to send them back to their proper time.

HOLY SHIT MEGATON. I didn't realize there was a whole new story attached to Totori and Meruru's cameos. Now I've gone from "what the hell is this doing in Rorona" to "goddammit I don't have time to play through all of Rorona again this summer fuck it it's happening."

Animekatt

Lovely Atelier OT as always. Atelier Rorona was the first Atelier I've ever played, and is my most favorite. I can't wait to go back and see how much the game has changed. It also introduces Sterk, my all time favorite character in the series. <3 Sterk <3

I'm only posting Sterk's because his is the most important.

Amen.

Rarutos

Super duper cool OT!

And only because you are a super duper fancy person, I dug this up:

So looks like getting the Vita version nets you all the costumes while you can't get that off preorder bonuses on the PS3 version. I don't know if the DLC is cross-compatible though for all those silly folks getting both versions.

Surprisingly, the EU twitter account didn't have anything listed in terms of pre-order bonuses.
Oh wow, thanks Super Duper Cool Guy! I'll add it in after I get back home later tonight.

Also I'm pretty sure DLC is cross compatable if the cross save bonuses are? Then again if it's DLC it might be different lol

Lovely Atelier OT as always. Atelier Rorona was the first Atelier I've ever played, and is my most favorite. I can't wait to go back and see how much the game has changed. It also introduces Sterk, my all time favorite character in the series. <3 Sterk <3
Thanks bunches! Sterk is one of my favorites too. Though I was really disappointed with what they did with him in Meruru. His comedically serious personality turned into mostly serious and his fun relationship with Rorona was completely ruined with her lolification. It didn't even seem like he cared much that she lost her memories! Then again almost no one did... :(

Thought about getting this for Vita instead to go with my Vita TV (cheaper), but as that won't be out for a while longer, will get PS3 version, plus will look a bit nicer.

Slayven

Escha & Logy came out in March. This is a remake so localization didn't take as long as the main story is basically the same, so it had a somewhat fast turnaround.

If Ayesha Plus is coming out I assume it'll be in the Fall-ish, but that's a port so it'll be even less work in terms of localization. So while it seems like they're coming out often, it's technically going to slow down a bit after Shallie assumingly comes out in Spring 2015 unless they announce Eschatology Plus.

We ever going to get another Mana Khemia game?

Hugstable

Banned
Oh dang I might actually have to pick this up! Surprised it's coming out after the other 2 games. I got Atelier Totori during the 20$ JRPG sale they had and I really enjoyed what I've played so far, but I never got too deep into it because I hear it was the 2nd game in a trilogy. Since I liked what I played and heard the first game was also coming again to Vita, I put Totori down just so I could wait for this game. I'm not too good at the item and time management stuff, but it seemed like an interesting concept, so I thought it would be best to start with the first game in the series haha. Why did they release it after the other 2 games in the trilogy anyway?

_Slay

Oh dang I might actually have to pick this up! Surprised it's coming out after the other 2 games. I got Atelier Totori during the 20$ JRPG sale they had and I really enjoyed what I've played so far, but I never got too deep into it because I hear it was the 2nd game in a trilogy. Since I liked what I played and heard the first game was also coming again to Vita, I put Totori down just so I could wait for this game. I'm not too good at the item and time management stuff, but it seemed like an interesting concept, so I thought it would be best to start with the first game in the series haha. Why did they release it after the other 2 games in the trilogy anyway?

The game had very outdated mechanics and graphics compared to the other two so it required a major overhaul rather than just adding some bells and whistles and porting it.(which is why this is also being re-released on the PS3)

redlemon

Conflicted on whether to get this since I have about 20 hours put into the original, but its also been about a year since I've played it.

Animekatt

Thanks bunches! Sterk is one of my favorites too. Though I was really disappointed with what they did with him in Meruru. His comedically serious personality turned into mostly serious and his fun relationship with Rorona was completely ruined with her lolification. It didn't even seem like he cared much that she lost her memories! Then again almost no one did... :(

I was upset with what they did to Rorona in the third game. I understand that they wanted her to stay young as long as possible, but that was just too much. Poor Rorona.

Clov

Preordered this while it was on sale on Amazon.ca. It will be a bit before I play it though, I still need to finish Escha and Logy.

Top Bottom