• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF MCC LAN Parties & Online Customs | A place to ask Johnny to come over & play

9keAIvV.jpg

This thread has a twofold purpose: organizing local LANs and organizing online customs/squads for MM

******Please see the top of post #2 for upcoming customs nights. Please PM me if you would like to organize a customs night and be the main contact person for it so I can add it to post #2.******

With how strong the GAF presence is in the Halo: MCC thread I thought this thread was in order. After contacting a mod, I'm moving forward on it. Rest assured I will keep up with custodial duties on it on a regular basis and continue to update the OP with any new entrants to the thread.

With the release of the Halo: MCC we finally get to re-live the glory days of Halo 1 and 2 (and to a lesser extent 3) with the ability to play online for the first time ever (for us that didn't play it on PC anyway) on Halo 1, and with dedicated servers no less, as well as of course playing 2,3, and 4 online.

However, those of us old dogs that cut our teeth on Halo 1 and 2 likely have fond memories of LAN parties. Packing up that Xbox, possibly dragging a TV with you, and heading to a friend's house to have 8 or more people all trash talking and having a good time under the same roof was a thing of beauty.

Online custom lobbies are great and everything, but nothing truly recaptures the feel of having all your buds within ear shot casting good-natured jabs (and the occassional couch cushion!) at each other. And now, we have the benefit of much more portable TVs! (I still remember dragging my behemoth TV around to LAN parties in the Halo 2 days, looking forward to carting an ultra-thin flat screen instead.)

CUoi89u.jpg

Nowadays we don't have to cart around those CRT models. In fact, for all your LAN needs: GAEMS Vanguard PGE

And yes, it fits the XB1 without risk to the built-in screen (barely!).

So for those among you that are interested, HaloGAF, I thought I would put out this thread for LAN party coordination. To join the fight, simply post your CITY ONLY PLEASE (and country/provence/etc if outside the US).

I will edit the first reply post of mine below and add any posters to the comprehensive OP2 list, in alphabetical order by Country/State/City. From there, you can PM anyone in your city or within close proximity to arrange a meet-up place.

PSA: In the interests of safety, please meet your fellow LANer in a public place for the first meet. Don't share your home address with an anonymous internet poster please. Meet them face-to-face first in someplace public and go from there. Use your own judgment and discretion on whether to proceed.

Also it should be noted that you don't HAVE to have a LAN party. If you wish, post in your reply whether you're up for online custom lobbies as well, and if so include your gamertag so members can contact you directly over XBL for online customs.

Once we get enough folks here, I'll also be organizing some HaloGAF Customs nights where we can pull together people to fill up 16-player lobbies and have some shenanigans in online customs since it isn't always easy to get folks together for a LAN setup. The original goal for this thread was LANs of course, and I'd still like to see that happen if we can get enough interest, but rather than have a separate thread for online customs I figured we could kill two birds with one thread.

Upcoming customs lobbies sessions date/times (PM organizer to join session):

Friday, November 14th, 2014 - 11pm US Central time
• Organizer gamertag: LifeExpectancy
• Maps/modes: Halo2 4v4 CTF and Deathmatch, Halo 3 8v8 objective/deathmatch variants, possibly ome Shaolin Rockets (custom gametype), we'll try to balance the skill levels on the teams so it isn't overly one-sided and generally have fun
• Participants: LifeExpectancy, ForsakenKidx

Online Customs and Matchmaking friends list. Add/follow them on your Xbox One to have GAFers to play with:

LifeExpectancy, sooo SOLID, Emperor Bohe, Parenegade M, BigSolar, Beamimpact, PoodleStrike, Welfare Queen I, djgwiz, birdy x loco, archpath1, Bryan4208, ilovegunz, Dusktildawn24, Forsaken Kidx, Inf777in777it77, LUCKY OVERLORD, Frankie (you are officially a headhunter target!), Sikamikanico, FUNKNOWN iXi, As7raios, mister teaspoon, XxDeputyMoonman

The following folks are interested in LAN parties:

Canada -
--Ottowa - SOLIDDDD

UnitedKingdom - VanquishUK, ilovegunz, Sikamikanico, Niven (GAF name)

United States - At some point this list might be broken down into regions since there aren't a ton of names for individual states. Wouldn't be a bad thing to make a weekend road trip for a LAN would it?
--Alabama
--Alaska
--Arizona
--Arkansas
--California
------Oakland - Scooby
--Colorado
--Connecticut
--Delaware
--Florida
-----Tampa - Welfare Queen I
--Georgia
--Hawaii
--Idaho
--Illinois - Inf777in777it77(maybe)
--Indiana
--Iowa
--Kansas
--Kentucky
------Georgetown - Bryan4208
--Louisiana
--Maine
--Maryland
--Massachusetts
-----Boston - GAF name Tawpgun
--Michigan
------Grand Rapids - LUCKY OVERLORD
--Minnesota
------Minn/St Paul - mister teaspoon
--Mississippi
--Missouri
------St. Louis - Dusktildawn24, Forsaken Kidx
--Montana
--Nebraska
--Nevada
--New Hampshire
--New Jersey
--New Mexico
------Las Cruces - birdy x loco
--New York
------Long Island - FUNKNOWN iXi
--North Carolina
--North Dakota
--Ohio
-----Cincinnati - PoodleStrike
--Oklahoma
------Moore - XxDeputyMoonman
--Oregon
--Pennsylvania
--Rhode Island
--South Carolina
--South Dakota
--Tennessee - As7raios
--Texas
------Harlingen - archpath1
------San Antonio - LifeExpectancy
--Utah
--Vermont
--Virginia
------Blacksburg - SFenton
--Washington
--West Virginia
--Wisconsin
--Wyoming

I'm interested in customs. Gamer tag is Emperor Bohe.

I have all of the XBL Halo games, including Halo 2 Vista. Add me up...

Edit: oh I'm in Toronto Ontario, but I'll probably only play online customs so it's whatev

SOLIDDDD

Banned
Ottawa, Canada here. I'd be down for LANs or XBL Customs. Used to LAN back in Halo 3 at Freely's place.

GT: sooo SOLID

im totally in for Online Customs! :)
are we going to have a list for that too?

OP2 (post 2, right after the OP) has separate lists for Online Customs and LAN. The Online Customs one is just one big list of gamertags you can add/follow on XB1. The LAN list is the one separated into states/cities.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Remember at least one of you will need to be signed into gold. Otherwise it should function as a normal LAN. All other players can be silver/guests.

Per Xbox or per game?

Seems like a odd restriction, and it's a shame if true.

From the way they described it it's per game?? Like one XB1 on the LAN needs to be connected but none of the others do. They need to change that because that's a pretty asinine restriction to place on LAN play.

im totally in for Online Customs! :)
are we going to have a list for that too?

What's your gamertag so I can add it to the OP2 list?

Oh my god, that photo...

• Halo 2
  • FFA Slayer
  • SMG starts
  • Coagulation
  • Vertical split-screen
linetti7dzjazp6e05.gif

Did you want to be added to either the gamertag list or the LAN list?

Storm360

From the way they described it it's per game?? Like one XB1 on the LAN needs to be connected but none of the others do. They need to change that because that's a pretty asinine restriction to place on LAN play.
Yeah, kinda limits the places where lan parties can be done, e.g. college networks etc where ports may be blocked for that xbox live connection

Per game. In theory, 15 cheapskates and one millionaire.

Ah it's a shame, in my group we're mostly silver, although I do have a gold account if I keep it or not will probably depend on the Halo 5 beta.

Per game. In theory, 15 cheapskates and one millionaire.

Thanks for the clarification Stinkles! Any chance of this being fixed though? Or does it have something to do with system-level restrictions that are independent of Halo? I'm leaning toward the latter, considering the console was originally envisioned with all the online checks every 24hrs and all that other nasty business. System probably won't even allow you to recognize other systems without some sort of Live ping.

In for online customs and maybe some LAN (though my course load is bonkers this fall, so that may or may not pan out).

GT: PoodleStrike
Hails from Cincinnati, Ohio

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Thanks for the clarification Stinkles! Any chance of this being fixed though? Or does it have something to do with system-level restrictions that are independent of Halo? I'm leaning toward the latter, considering the console was originally envisioned with all the online checks every 24hrs and all that other nasty business. System probably won't even allow you to recognize other systems without some sort of Live ping.

Right now it's system and it may change in the future, but it is a tiny amount of data going out, so a crappy connection and a trial account would work in theory. Even a tethered phone, potentially. I caveat all of this heavily as we're still deep in dev and all or any of it is of course subject to change.

But frankly gasoline and breaker boxes will be bigger challenges for most.

From the way they described it it's per game?? Like
What's your gamertag so I can add it to the OP2 list?

Did you want to be added to either the gamertag list or the LAN list?

yes gamertag is BeamImpact just as my GAF name
im in for the Online Custom list, preferably any Halo 1 Custom Game but also up for any other Halo title :)

Right now it's system and it may change in the future, but it is a tiny amount of data going out, so a crappy connection and a trial account would work in theory. Even a tethered phone, potentially. I caveat all of this heavily as we're still deep in dev and all or any of it is of course subject to change.

But frankly gasoline and breaker boxes will be bigger challenges for most.

Yeah it's just rough for those that really want to do LANs because (historically speaking anyway), my Halo LAN parties always took place in areas of the house far removed from the modem/router. I don't think for most people it's an issue of cost, just an issue of proximity to a viable broadband connection for the necessary ping.

Most of my LANs were in garages, family rooms, or sometimes in the community center of apartement buildings or something. Of these, only the family room would potentially have the internet connection handy.

If we can do it over a wifi hotspot with a cellphone it would solve all of the above issues, but I don't know anyone personally other than myself who has that ability b/c cell phone companies charge like $30-40 a month to activate the wireless hotspot function. Of course if you know how to root your phone and install a custom kernel/OS that isn't a problem, but it's not a mainstream thing.

Hopefully Microsoft will patch out the need for a live connection to do LANs in one of their upcoming system updates.

Also I don't know if you've answered this directly elsewhere but you alluded to it to an extent at SDCC, but will MCC be one big list for 4000gs with cross-game achievements or four separate 1000gs lists? I understand if you're not ready to answer this question yet. :D

biRdy

Gamertag: birdy x loco
Looking for customs

Up for some LAN too if anyone is in the Las Cruces, NM area.

Gt: Welfare Queen I

I am interested in doing LAN. Florida

My gamertag is djgwiz

Gamertag: birdy x loco
Looking for customs

Up for some LAN too if anyone is in the Las Cruces, NM area.

All added. At least our gamertag list is starting to reach full-lobby threshhold! I'll be adding everyone here on XB1 and probably linking to TrueAchievements.com customs lobby sessions as the time approaches near.

Both
gt - archpath1
texas, harlingen

:rubs hands: Our Texas LAN group begins!

GT: Sikamikanico

UK, An hours travel from London.

I already host LANS, and have done since 2006. :)

Frankie - do you know if MCC will be playable over LAN @ EGX in September. or if there will be any tourney type stuff? Thanks!

Pfhunkie

GT is the same as my username here and I'm in Tennessee. Unfortunately I don't have an Xbone yet but I will when the game launches.

Definitely up for online customs. Would love to attend a LAN party (I'm in the Twin Cities), but I don't have a portable screen.

XBL: mister teaspoon

Niven

GT: Sikamikanico

UK, An hours travel from London.

I already host LANS, and have done since 2006. :)

Frankie - do you know if MCC will be playable over LAN @ EGX in September. or if there will be any tourney type stuff? Thanks!

Where go you host your LANS I'm from the UK ?

All of the above posters are added to OP2. Would people prefer to see gamertags for online MM and customs broken down by time zone? Some of us keep pretty odd hours is the only potential drawback I would think. For example I may be US central but I'm usually on during Asia followed by EU prime times, but rarely during US prime time.

Personally I'm just going to add/follow every last one of you on my Xbox One so I can send out mass messages for upcoming customs nights if we can get a regular thing going.

I've hosted them at my home, all with friends I met playing Halo 2 back in 2004. LANs are awesome.

I try to do this but all my friends from back then got boring in their old age. Had kids and no time for LANs anymore. More's the pity b/c my wife and I have enough displays to fully host LANs.

I've added everyone here so far to my XB1 list I think. If I missed anyone lemme know, and add me back all you future body bags!

PS - does anyone know if it's against GAF rules to promote other sites? I would only be doing it out of interest for the easiest way to coordinate online customs, but if it's a no-no I'll just talk about it in-game once we start doing GAF gatherings. It's not my site and I get zero monetary compensation for any traffic there.

Top Bottom