Watch the video here (duration: 19:05)

A case study in internet celebrity.

bobawesome
(06-18-2014, 09:41 AM)
You're Phil Fish?
I'm Phil Fish.
Phediuk
(06-18-2014, 09:42 AM)
Phil Fish might be the first game designer more famous for his behind-the-scenes drama than his games.
SalsaShark
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(06-18-2014, 09:43 AM)
no you're Nibel
Benzychenz
(06-18-2014, 09:44 AM)
No, this is Patrick.

You're Nibel
UrbanDandy
(06-18-2014, 09:48 AM)
Saw this: it was very compelling.
Persona7
(06-18-2014, 09:49 AM)
huh

will watch later
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(06-18-2014, 09:51 AM)
scared to watch
Rubius
(06-18-2014, 09:52 AM)

Originally Posted by bobawesome

You're Phil Fish?
I'm Phil Fish.

He's not Phil Fish. I'm Phil Fish.

Thanks for the documentary BTW.
d9b
(06-18-2014, 09:54 AM)
Nearly chocked on it... Will watch later. ;)
Untalkative_Bunny
(06-18-2014, 09:55 AM)
Before I give this youtube personality my time, is he just stirring up shit? I mean phil left the spotlight and gamerhate behind, why dredge?
Carcetti
(06-18-2014, 09:55 AM)
That was a lot more interesting than I figured it would be.

Originally Posted by Untalkative_Bunny

Before I give this youtube personality my time, is he just stirring up shit? I mean phil left the spotlight and gamerhate behind, why dredge?

The video was less about Phil Fish than it was about people reacting to their perception of Phil Fish.
BBboy20
(06-18-2014, 09:57 AM)

The video is less about him as it is more about us.
Shard
XBLAnnoyance

It is worth the time to watch the video.
Easy_D
never left the stone age

Nope, it's a good video, discussing fame and what fame brings, among other things.
Nibel
(06-18-2014, 09:58 AM)

Just watch it. If it was a waste of your time, I wouldn't have post it in the first place. The video offers a interesting take on internet celebrities such as Phil and while he plays a role in the video it's much more about the phenomenon itself.
Mauricio_Magus
(06-18-2014, 10:01 AM)
That was an interesting watch.

My interaction with Phil was quite short, I sent him a mean tweet for whatever reason and he blocked me. In retrospect, I shouldn't have done that.
homeworkfilms
(06-18-2014, 10:03 AM)
Fantastic video. Worthy of anyone's time. Especially those interested in issues of game developers and fame.
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(06-18-2014, 10:03 AM)
so far this is like an episode of VSAUCE very educational
AkimbO_Arcana
(06-18-2014, 10:24 AM)
That is one great video about how the internet works in general.
seventynine
(06-18-2014, 10:24 AM)
Great video.
Untalkative_Bunny
(06-18-2014, 10:26 AM)

Originally Posted by Shard

It is worth the time to watch the video.

Glad I watched that, fantastic.

I always hated seeing a Fish thread here because it made me want to never come back, like the early Anita threads before the mods cracked down.

I'd like to see something about what psychological need is fulfilled by hating someone a person has never met and does not know.
blame space
Member with a nice beard and a broken TV
(06-18-2014, 10:26 AM)
best dude
Nohar
(06-18-2014, 10:27 AM)
Interesting video, though I think the OP could have fleshed out his post a little to give more incentive to people to actually watch said video (no offense, it's just that I find your post bare-boned).
Marvel
could never
'Twas good.
Untalkative_Bunny

Originally Posted by Mauricio_Magus

That was an interesting watch.

My interaction with Phil was quite short, I sent him a mean tweet for whatever reason and he blocked me. In retrospect, I shouldn't have done that.

he never said 'japanese games suck' he actually said 'you guys need to get with the times'.
myca77
(06-18-2014, 10:29 AM)

Originally Posted by bobawesome

You're Phil Fish?
I'm Phil Fish.

I'm Phil Fish and so is my wife.

Will watch on my break
EmoryM
(06-18-2014, 10:29 AM)
It's sad that Phil and Dong were chased away - I hope Mr. Fish comes back some day.
digoutyoursoul
(06-18-2014, 10:30 AM)
Fez is a brilliant game, very talented man
ponpo
( ≖‿≖)
(06-18-2014, 10:31 AM)

he never said 'japanese games suck' he actually said 'you guys need to get with the times'.

No, he said "your games just suck"

I'd link the youtube video for proof, but it's been removed via a copyright claim from Blinkworks Media, creators of Indie Game the Movie. Shocking!
Last edited by ponpo; 06-18-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Foshy
(06-18-2014, 10:31 AM)
Video is really great. I'd advise everyone to watch it.
wondermega
(06-18-2014, 10:33 AM)
Good of him to acknowledge Fez 2 in this way. About time
Sylverstone14
(06-18-2014, 10:35 AM)
A must-see video, indeed.

This really isn't about Phil Fish, but the perils of Internet fame.
ponpo
( ≖‿≖)
(06-18-2014, 10:36 AM)
I don't know if I want to keep watching this to make more talking points but I think some of what the video creator is saying is wrong.

~7m40s claiming that reviews, criticisms and editorials have "no material repercussions on gaming as a whole, on how games are made and distributed..."

?_?

Also he thinks tweeting "anita sarkeesian is a hero" and bragging about winning an award and telling someone "suck my dick. choke on it" before his game was out are the same in terms of being newsworthy?
Last edited by ponpo; 06-18-2014 at 10:42 AM.
TitusGroan
Banned
(06-18-2014, 10:36 AM)

When asked specifically about Japanese games, he said "Your games just suck." Which is, no matter how you slice it, the same as saying "Japanese games suck." Like how "What colour is the sky?" "It is blue." is the same as saying "The sky is blue."

Phil Fish makes for an interesting case study about internet celebrity, but I feel like the video dismisses or overlooks the extent of some of Fish's comments. The Japanese games comment wasn't picked up because of how culturally insensitive it was, it was also picked up on because it was demonstrably not true, and was an example of a clueless developer talking out of his ass. The video also seems to imply that game articles and editorial pieces on game developer comments are somehow not proper journalism, despite the fact that comments of creatives in other media have often been heavily reported and discussed. If writers can post articles on the comments of Mel Gibson, why not Phil Fish? Do we ignore both, and just write reviews of Fez and Apocalypto?
Last edited by TitusGroan; 06-18-2014 at 10:39 AM.
GlamFM
(06-18-2014, 10:37 AM)
All I know is that I want FEZ II.
mclem

Originally Posted by myca77

I'm Phil Fish and so is my wife.

Will watch on my break

In many ways, aren't we all a little bit Phil Fish?
Untalkative_Bunny

Originally Posted by ponpo

No, he said "your games just suck"

I'd link the youtube video for proof, but it's been removed via a copyright claim from Blinkworks Media, creators of Indie Game the Movie. Shocking!

nope. he said 'you guys need to get with the times' followed by a discussion with jon blow about the problems with both american and japanese game design. watch the vid.

someone did tweet 'what do you think of japanese games' and he tweeted back 'they suck'. But seriously, it was a tweet, not something said to someone's face.
Griddlelol
(06-18-2014, 10:40 AM)

Originally Posted by TitusGroan

demonstrably not true

How is a subjective opinion demonstrably not true?
ponpo
( ≖‿≖)
(06-18-2014, 10:40 AM)

nope. he said 'you guys need to get with the times' followed by a discussion with jon blow about the problems with both american and japanese game design. watch the vid.

someone did tweet 'what do you think of japanese games' and he tweeted back 'they suck'. But seriously, it was a tweet, not something said to someone's face.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/03/...says-phil-fish
http://www.develop-online.net/news/g...s-suck/0111354
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ames-just-suck

etc.
Prime crotch
(06-18-2014, 10:41 AM)
A bit too presumptuous, I can hate on nickelback just for hating, you don't know me! But an okay message overall
Untalkative_Bunny
(06-18-2014, 10:42 AM)

Originally Posted by TitusGroan

When asked specifically about Japanese games, he said "Your games just suck." Which is, no matter how you slice it, the same as saying "Japanese games suck." Like how "What colour is the sky?" "It is blue." is the same as saying "The sky is blue."

Phil Fish makes for an interesting case study about internet celebrity, but I feel like the video dismisses or overlooks the extent of some of Fish's comments. The Japanese games comment wasn't picked up because of how culturally insensitive it was, it was also picked up on because it was demonstrably not true, and was an example of a clueless developer talking out of his ass. The video also seems to imply that game articles and editorial pieces on game developer comments are somehow not proper journalism, despite the fact that comments of creatives in other media have often been heavily reported and discussed. If writers can post articles on the comments of Mel Gibson, why not Phil Fish? Do we ignore both, and just write reviews of Fez and Apocalypto?

source? Kotaku, IGN, and everyone else made up a quote from gdc that never happened. watch the video.
onetoescape
(06-18-2014, 10:43 AM)
Will watch this when I get home. Despite his flaws I like Phil and would rather listen to him talk passionately rightly or wrongly on something than have pure pr stuff other devs say.
Lord of Castamere
(06-18-2014, 10:43 AM)
Sometimes I play Fez with a mirror behind me, I'll turn towards the Fez mirror, and say Fish Phil 5 times. Sometimes I lose hope that he'll ever return but when that happens I look into the mirror again and Believe.
atomico
(06-18-2014, 10:44 AM)
Hi Phil Fish!
Truant
(06-18-2014, 10:45 AM)
Very good, and largely objective view on Fish and fame. Awesome job.
Last edited by Truant; 06-18-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Artorias
Banned

source? Kotaku, IGN, and everyone else made up a quote from gdc that never happened. watch the video.

Maybe you should watch the video, because it very clearly mentions that he said exactly that.
Fullfrontalgamer
Who gives a shit who he is. Fez is clearly an amazing accomplishment. I'll follow any work he does in games.
mrhej
(06-18-2014, 10:46 AM)
This is fascinating.