• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny PS4 Timed Exclusives will last until "At least Fall 2015"

Vire

Are those player controlled vehicles? I was under the impression there was only one— the one in the alpha.

No, they make absolutely no gameplay difference. Just something cool to look at in loading screen/bragging rights for multiplayer.

vypek

It honestly doesnt seem like a huge difference as far as content goes. It probably wont matter much to a lot of people since it wont detract from the game or reduce enjoyment. A year is long but its so much better than having the full game delayes.

The system exclusive stuff makes it easier for me to write off dlc all together. Which feels weird to say because I historically loved dlc since the beginning.

I own both systems and would happily buy dlc and season passes if the purchase carried over between PC, Xbox and PlayStation.

This type of shit makes me happy I stopped buying season passes. I am getting better about not buying dlc too lately.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
See this is why I like Sony. They actually form partnerships to get DLC instead of money hatting like Microsoft does.

direwolf.gif

Its possible. Its just fairly unprecedented and you're just trying to reach for absolutely any position possible that stops you from having to admit that this is a plain old moneyhat.

Well Diablo 3 for PS4 is getting a Last of Us mission with enemies from the game and everything. Minecraft has platform unique stuff. You think all that was made for free on the developer's part?

I don't understand why a publisher paying a developer to create EXTRA content for a game is a crazier thought than a publisher paying a developer to cut out content from the game to be exclusive to them. Are we that cynical that we all feel the worst case scenario is the most likely scenario?

Edit: A lot of game content like MP maps are not even created in house by developers and are instead outsourced, further leading to money hatting extra, emphasis, content.

Are those player controlled vehicles? I was under the impression there was only one— the one in the alpha.

My followup question would be: how many strikes and MP maps will the base game ship with anyway?

No, I think these are just ships and not sparrows or pikes.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Smart move by Sony. They're essentially pushing the game as an exclusive without having to pay the moneyhat. I'm sure the gap in sales between PS4/XBO will be pretty big.

Buh? What makes you think they didn't fork over a moneyhat?

I played the Alpha all weekend.

Mars must be hella early in the game.

I'm not so sure it is. Earth areas we've seen so far have The Fallen and Hive enemies. The Moon has Hive as well and being close to Earth that's the next likely zone. Mars has an entirely different race of enemy called the Cabal. Now, the lore says that there have been Cabal on Earth, but we don't know if they're still there or not. Even if they are.. progress wise it would make the most sense if zone progression went Earth > Moon > Mars at the fastest.

The zones we've seen mapped thus far are Earth, Moon, Mars, Venus, and Reef. The map of Venus appears to have the only Raid we know of at the moment so that's likely the last zone, putting Mars in the middle of progression at it's likely earliest point.

What is so bizarre about a console manufacturer paying a publisher to get some extra content made exclusively for that platform (particularly if it's going to be exclusive for that long)? I mean, who knows, maybe they did just choose some already-existing content to be exclusive, but I don't find it that crazy a situation personally.
How does this stuff usually work?

In the case of Destiny's multiplayer map, is that something we would've seen at release for both platforms if Sony didn't buy in? Was it something that was slated for DLC that got extra work put into it for Sony? Was it something that Activision cut out of the release package to dangle out to different buyers?

I think the pie in the sky optimistic way to look at this is to think that the map would not exist at all if Sony hadn't funded it, but then if that's the case why *ever* release it on the xbox?

Anybody have insight into how these things usually shake down?

#EndTimedExclusivityDealsToday
You have my sword.

Sucks to think of how these practices will continue evolve over time unless there's some kind of blowback. I've got nothing against Bungie here, its just this practice of slicing up games and divvying them up across various parties. Its just messed up.

Man, it's pretty crazy when you search Destiny on Amazon and the XB1 version never shows up, but the first two spots are Destiny on PS4 or the white PS4 bundle. Is it possible for Sony to pay so that only the PS4 version shows up when you search for it at online stores?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man, it's pretty crazy when you search Destiny on Amazon and the XB1 version never shows up, but the first two spots are Destiny on PS4 or the white PS4 bundle. Is it possible for Sony to pay so that only the PS4 version shows up when you search for it at online stores?

Why not?!

Doubtful. Most likely algorithms that are showing PS4 version and bundle because of less Destiny Xbone search interest.

Gorillaz

It just hit me. Sony basically was that dude in school no one wanted to deal with or fuck with. Getting handmedowns from his brother, girls talking shit, all that. CoD showing nothing but xbox commercials, all that shit.

So now that it's in a "big man on campus" mode, they will basically act like a kid in a candy store taking up all the shit and exposure it lost the gen before. It's kind of shocking that they might trade places this gen in that regard (Sony being considered the golden child)

Have we ever seen a game get exclusive content that was actually meaningful? I can't recall it happening, and I think that's because the developer is never going to wall off something great.

This should only matter to the OCD "what am I missing out on" types. The answer to this question has always been "nothing".

hawk2025

Again, it's based on which version is selling more.

Search for The Division, for example.

Have we ever seen a game get exclusive content that was actually meaningful? I can't recall it happening, and I think that's because the developer is never going to wall off something great.

This should only matter to the OCD "what am I missing out on" types. The answer to this question has always been "nothing".

Fallout, Skyrim, GTAIV DLC.

All of that is absolutely MASSIVE.

VanWinkle

How does this stuff usually work?

In the case of Destiny's multiplayer map, is that something we would've seen at release for both platforms if Sony didn't buy in? Was it something that was slated for DLC that got extra work put into it for Sony? Was it something that Activision cut out of the release package to dangle out to different buyers?

I think the pie in the sky optimistic way to look at this is to think that the map would not exist at all if Sony hadn't funded it, but then if that's the case why *ever* release it on the xbox?

Anybody have insight into how these things usually shake down?

Yeah, I mean, it's an interesting question, and I would be really curious to see the behind-the-scenes of the manner in which this stuff usually goes down.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Activision and Sanyo strike again!

If you got a PS4 then that's a reason. Tough luck if not or it's just not for you.

This makes little difference to my purchase decision though.

Or he would not buy it to try and boycott this stuff. Sadly it's pretty much foolproof as even if a game doing this would bomb, there's no way for a consumer to effectively get across the message that people didn't buy the game for x reason and instead the publisher would likely just be like fuck it, layoff everyone.

I think it might be connected to what version is selling most. If you search for Call of Duty Xbox versions appear. You have to click the game title to choose the lower selling version.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Sony players got kicked in the teeth all last Gen by this, let's see

Microsoft got Netflix first
Fall out 3 dlc
CoD Dlc
Preference in fixes for Skyrim
I'm sure there is more
HBO Go I'm pretty sure Microsoft got first
Minecraft

Let us eat for a change

God why did you remind me of the epic failure that was Skyrim on PS3..... game was so bad I got it on my 360. I also think HBO go just recently came out on PS3 like late last year or early this year...... pretty nuts.

Madness

Destiny being an Xbox lead platform was not news or an announcement of any sort. It just happened to internally be leading on that platform awhile back. Insomniac could have done concept work on Sunset Overdrive on a PS3, too; who knows. About Bungie fans being on Xbox since 2001, Insomnac fans have been on PS since way before that, so there's an even longer established Insomniac fanbase there.

And honestly it doesn't matter WHY the game or content is on the other platform to the fan of the company; Insomniac fans potentially not being able to play Sunset Overdrive is worse than Bungie fans potentially not being able to play a relatively small bit of Destiny but still being able to play the game.

The difference being, from 2008-2012, Destiny was actively developed in some form for Xbox 360 first. The leaked documents from Activision show that the PS3 version was going to come a bit later possibly. 2013, this all changes. Activision signs an exclusive agreement with Sony, Bungie starts to only promote Destiny on PS4. Very little to no mention of Xbox or Xbox One, most reveals, alpha, beta, dlc only talked about with Playstation in mind.

Whereas Sunset Overdrive was funded by Microsoft and built as an exclusive for the Xbox One from day one. There was never any mention of Sony, there was never any footage of it on Sony consoles, and there was no reason for Sony/Insomniac fans to expect it at all.

I never said which one is worse, I said that it's not the same comparison. They are two separate situations. Apples to oranges. Yes not being able to play a game at all, is worse than timed exclusivity for content.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well Diablo 3 for PS4 is getting a Last of Us mission with enemies from the game and everything. Minecraft has platform unique stuff. You think all that was made for free on the developer's part?

I don't understand why a publisher paying a developer to create EXTRA content for a game is a crazier thought than a publisher paying a developer to cut out content from the game to be exclusive to them. Are we that cynical that we all feel the worst case scenario is the most likely scenario?

Edit: A lot of game content like MP maps are not even created in house by developers and are instead outsourced, further leading to money hatting extra, emphasis, content.
Ok, the comparison originally being made was to Sunset Overdrive, which was funded by Microsoft so the game could exist. Do we really think that Bungie were simply short on money and needed an outside backer to afford making DLC?

This DLC was going to get made no matter what. Sony did not throw their money in to 'help out', but to secure its exclusivity. That is not a worst-case scenario, it is the likely one.

And in its stead the Division is getting timed XB1 content. Ubisoft is annoyingly all over the board with this stuff, lol.

Considering that Ubi games have been at the Sony conference the last few years and had exclusives and this year it was completely swapped to MS, I think it's safe to assume that Sony's marketing/exclusive deal with Ubi expired and MS snatched up a deal with them.

Mikey Jr.

Wow a year. I'm buying ps4 version so I don't give a shit. And if it was just cosmetic stuff, then xbone guys wouldnt have a lot to miss.

It is a strike mission and a mp competitive map though....

Kinda sucks for you guys.

USC-fan

Banned
This thread and the big deal about this on bungie forums shows that this stuff works....

It why they keep doing it....

jond76

Banned
Yep. Console bundle, exclusive DLC, early beta/alpha access. I'm sure there'll be PS advertisements that will similarly show this around mid-late August. It's gonna give it a significant boost.

I wonder what's stopping MS from bankrolling some Xbox specific Destiny ads...

VanWinkle

The difference being, from 2008-2012, Destiny was actively developed in some form for Xbox 360 first. The leaked documents from Activision show that the PS3 version was going to come a bit later possibly. 2013, this all changes. Activision signs an exclusive agreement with Sony, Bungie starts to only promote Destiny on PS4. Very little to no mention of Xbox or Xbox One, most reveals, alpha, beta, dlc only talked about with Playstation in mind.

Whereas Sunset Overdrive was funded by Microsoft and built as an exclusive for the Xbox One from day one. There was never any mention of Sony, there was never any footage of it on Sony consoles, and there was no reason for Sony/Insomniac fans to expect it at all.

I never said which one is worse, I said that it's not the same comparison. They are two separate situations. Apples to oranges. Yes not being able to play a game at all, is worse than timed exclusivity for content.

But nobody outside some of us hardcore are going to know of the leaked documents stating that Destiny was being developed for the 360 first. That's just conjecture. The fact was Bungie and Activision never announced plans like that. If they announced Destiny as an Xbox 360/XB1 game primarily, and now it's the situation it is now, then yeah, I totally get what you're saying, but that is not how it went down. To me the situations are very similar, except that PS fans won't be able to play Insomniac's game at all.
Ok, the comparison originally being made was to Sunset Overdrive, which was funded by Microsoft so the game could exist. Do we really think that Bungie were simply short on money and needed an outside backer to afford making DLC?

This DLC was going to get made no matter what. Sony did not throw their money in to 'help out', but to secure its exclusivity. That is not a worst-case scenario, it is the likely one.

You don't know that. I'm not saying I know that it's otherwise, but just that you are completely speculating and don't have any better clue than anyone else does.

Wizman23

Banned
The 1 year exclusive multiplayer map is what makes my blood boil. Especially in the bullshit current landscape of AAA gaming where we will be lucky to get 10 multiplayer maps to play on at launch. If Halo Reach was any indication we will be lucky to get 8 maps at launch.

JLeack

Banned
Although I'll be getting the PS4 version, I really hate this. Exclusive content is such a cheap way to attract gamers. I know we live in a day and age where third-party games are more prominent, but still. The Call of Duty Xbox One crap is annoying, and so is this.

While it's for the platform of my choice (though I own both systems), I really dislike these practices. Same goes for all the fracturing in pre-order content.

I will say, if you're a die-hard Bungie fan, you probably already bought a PS4 or will soon. I'll have all 4 versions myself. I wonder if you'll be able to move your Guardians between consoles via Bungie.net and get the PlayStation-exclusive stuff on Xbox, heh.

While it's for the platform of my choice (though I own both systems), I really dislike these practices. Same goes for all the fracturing in pre-order content.
Yeah, I hate the latter, but at least this is better than console exclusive.

Wow a year. I'm buying ps4 version so I don't give a shit. And if it was just cosmetic stuff, then xbone guys wouldnt have a lot to miss.

It is a strike mission and a mp competitive map though....

Kinda sucks for you guys.

I doesn't think it really matters to us who are getting Destiny on XB1. 1 MP map and 1 strike mission isn't much at all. And, I didn't like the MP, so you only PS gamers can keep that map!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Considering that Ubi games have been at the Sony conference the last few years and had exclusives and this year it was completely swapped to MS, I think it's safe to assume that Sony's marketing/exclusive deal with Ubi expired and MS snatched up a deal with them.

Did they just have a blanket deal? Stuff like Rayman and Far Cry 3 seemed to not get hit, I always figured it was just a game to game basis.

I wonder what's stopping MS from bankrolling some Xbox specific Destiny ads...

I may be alone in picking this up, but I think Phil Spencer name dropping Destiny multiple times as part of the upcoming Xbone lineup during E3 was a deliberate decision because they know their version will get no advertising. Because they have played this game before and continue to do so with COD.

Top Bottom