• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Ship [OT]: Sundays 9:00pm on TNT: Russian BF4 Heli Pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambient80

pCp7UF2.jpg

Their mission is simple: Find a cure. Stop the virus. Save the world. When a global pandemic wipes out eighty percent of the planet's population, the crew of a lone naval destroyer must find a way to pull humanity from the brink of extinction. Executive Producer Michael Bay presents The Last Ship, starring Eric More...

Season One Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gZ6bpIjeLs&feature=kp

uzYIpet.jpg

Eric Dane
as CO CDR Tom Chandler

G7xJoawl.jpg

Rhona Mitra
as Dr. Rachel Scott

ChWiTlPl.jpg

Adam Baldwin
as XO Mike Slattery

SEASON 1

1. Phase Six

2. Welcome to Gitmo

3. Dead Reckoning

4. We'll Get There

5. El Toro

6. Lockdown

7. SOS

8. Two Sailors Walk Into a Bar...

9. Trials

10. No Place Like Home

Ambient80

It's simple, but it's the first OT I've done, and we don't exactly have a lot to work with yet. :)

Definitely gonna check out the rest of the season, as I thought the premiere was rather decent.

Fusebox

Banned
When a global pandemic wipes out eighty percent of the planet's population, the crew of a lone naval destroyer must find a way to pull humanity from the brink of extinction. Executive Producer Michael Bay

You had me at Pandemic. I'm in.

EL CUCO

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Thought the acting was good and production was stellar. My only gripe is that the story seems kinda meh right now.

I can honestly say I'm looking forward to watching the next episode. Can't say the same for Falling Skies, though...

Tokubetsu

That was good! I liked it! I'm glad they didn't drag things out (they totally could have) or played hard to sentimental stuff. Good when a show knows not to linger. Kinda shit that one of the first dudes to die is the black kid though =/

OP is fine ambient, don't worry aout it.

It's simple, but it's the first OT I've done, and we don't exactly have a lot to work with yet. :)

Permission to salute the OP?

Good pilot though surprised at how quick things move along, but I appreciate it. There were many plot points that could have been dragged out into their own episodes but they were quickly moved along.

First episode was promising but holy shit it felt like they had to cram every cheesy military cliche into the pilot. I hope they got it all out of the way because I don't think I can take any more AMERICA FUCK YEAH.

zonezeus

It kinda feels like a string of US Navy commercials loosely tied with a plot.

Will watch, I'm a sucker for hot warships.

Ambient80

First episode was promising but holy shit it felt like they had to cram every cheesy military cliche into the pilot. I hope they got it all out of the way because I don't think I can take any more AMERICA FUCK YEAH.

I thought about that and I actually like it, IF they do it in an interesting way from here on out. Here's why:

First episode they have no idea what is really going on. They keep to their duties as always, keep up with tradition. As the show goes on, we could start to see that decay. Less "yes sir!" And more "whatever..." I could see the funereal scenes (assuming they continue happening) becoming more and more bleak as well as the number of people attending slowly dwindles. It COULD be an interesting metaphor, but we'll have to see what the writers do with it.

Wiktor

Liked the pilot. Seems to be moving very fast and I like that the world is bassicaly completely fucked already and they're just racing to save whatever little of it remains.

Definitely feels like a show will benefit from short 10 eps season

Ricker

Going to watch it this week...the little spots they had for a few weeks of this on Space looked cheesy as hell but hey I love Mitra...glad that most of you enjoyed the pilot enough to keep watching.

Mars477

Banned
You're going to put Rhona Mitra in your show and you're not going to cast her as a badass? Geez, that's a waste.

I had to bail on this show half way through. Everything about the show was getting to be too much; the righteous, patriotic captain, the obsssed, holier-than-thou scientist, and the evil Russians were just too much to bear. The compulsive camera cuts were annoying, too.

However, I must know... how many
zombies did the virus create?

Joni

I started watching for General McSteamy, I'm going to keep watching because it is good enough for a summer show.

I was bumming out looking for low ranking crew. Like crows. finally get to see unranked crew member at the end. lol
" bad ass, Captain. bad ass" AUGH

Rhona kinda looks like Destiny Dixon :p

I was bumming out looking for low ranking crew. Like crows. finally get to see unranked crew member at the end. lol
" bad ass, Captain. bad ass" AUGH

Rhona kinda looks like Destiny Dixon :p

I hadn't even considered this, but now I can't unsee it.

Although Rhona doesn't have gap teeth.

Somnia

Ratings from TNT are in.

The Last Ship Lands Cable's Biggest Series Launch for the Year-to-Date

Falling Skies Delivers 4.7 Million Viewers as TNT Claims

Five of Cable's Top 6 Scripted Season Premieres for the Year-to-Date

TNT continued its ratings hot streak last night with the premiere of the action-adventure series The Last Ship and the return of the epic alien-invasion drama Falling Skies. The Last Ship launched with a total of 7.4 million viewers in Live + Same Day delivery for its 9 p.m. premiere and 11 p.m. encore, while Falling Skies landed a total of 4.7 million viewers for its 10 p.m. season premiere and midnight encore. The Last Ship, which garnered 5.3 million viewers at 9 p.m., now ranks as cable's #1 series launch for the year-to-date.

Really great debut for them, doing better than Falling Skies which is a good sign for the show. TNT has some good hits on their hand right now within the cable space.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Not bad, I'm a sucker for end of the world stuff so I'll keep watching. Rhona Mitra makes me tingle in my boy parts so I'm glad she's back on TV so soon after Strike Back.

jelly

That was quite the Navy advert.

The salute at the end was so bad. Nobody does cringe worthy salutes better than the US entertainment industry.

Enjoyed the premise at least and will watch a few more to see how it develops.

spwolf

I had to bail on this show half way through. Everything about the show was getting to be too much; the righteous, patriotic captain, the obsssed, holier-than-thou scientist, and the evil Russians were just too much to bear. The compulsive camera cuts were annoying, too.

i thought it was pretty good... especially the lead characters. What really worked is that since there is no aliens, no zombies, there was also no bad CGI either... looked really well done overall.

As to evil Russians, there was nothing evil about Russians... they just wanted to get the cure.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Besides some wretched writing (that salute, that "badass captain" line...), some bad acting (the captain looked and sounded like an amateur trying to appear as a badass next to Rhona fucking Mitra when he was putting her on blast), some incredibly dodgy editing (seriously, some scenes looked as if they were cut 5 seconds short) and how I almost threw the remote at the TV when several helicopters couldn't hunt down a couple of puny snowmobiles, the show was surprisingly enjoyable and definitely a couple of tiers above Last Resort. I'm in for now.

Rhona Mitra is such a babe.
She's legitimely getting better each year it passes. It's kind of baffling. I also love how she's obligued to wear a tank top in pretty much anything she stars in.

Gibbo

I thought Mcsteamy did pretty well given the script. Nice to see him do something outside of Greys. Already liking it more than last resort so will give it another 3 episodes

Fjord

Can someone who knows more about it tell me how stupid the captain's heroic fuse move was? Also is SNL making fun of how gun crazy TNT is yet?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I thought Mcsteamy did pretty well given the script. Nice to see him do something outside of Greys. Already liking it more than last resort so will give it another 3 episodes

I've always thought he looked like a GI Joe figure.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
lol, thanks. The title is dumb but seriously, the pilots of those helicopters were psychotically bad, and it just reminded me of BF4 heli pilots lol.

I'm not joking when I say that I nearly dropped the show right at the start.

It was so, so bad. Specially in this day and age when we know thanks to YouTube and news reports how actual military helicopters conduct their operations.

Ricker

Finally watched it and I enjoyed it enough to keep watching...the Captain is surprisingly good,especially after seeing the preview for a few weeks where they just showed the moments he tries to go badass...in context,he was much better...and like someone said,its strange in a way to see Mitra not being a badass but she does a good job also...that snowmobile scene was hilarious though,hoping the future action scene make a little more sense...although how many times the guys from Strike Back would be dead during all those firefights lol...

Looking forward to see where it goes.

I'm not joking when I say that I nearly dropped the show right at the start.

It was so, so bad. Specially in this day and age when we know thanks to YouTube and news reports how actual military helicopters conduct their operations.

So you don't watch any movies or TV? Since the military never acts realistic in any of those or any nonsensical action sequences. Realistic action of having choppers blowing away the heroes from miles away with no way to counter it doesn't make for compelling TV

Tamanon

Banned
Anyone watch last night? I was busy moving but I'm gonna watch online tonight after I'm done studying.

It was alright, there are still way too many corny moments. I think the plot might improve if they start focusing more on character relationships instead of everyone fighting a bad guy.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So you don't watch any movies or TV? Since the military never acts realistic in any of those or any nonsensical action sequences. Realistic action of having choppers blowing away the heroes from miles away with no way to counter it doesn't make for compelling TV

Which is why writers should look for other scenarios.

It's kind of like Revolution's iPhones holding their charge for over a decade. Suspension of disbelief goes out of the window.

Ricker

So far, I'm enjoying it. Especially since it isn't a zombie thing.

Yet.

lol...as soon as they got to the factory to get meds and stuff,I thought for sure zombies or some variations where going to come walking out of somewhere...it didnt happen,like you said,yet.

Enjoyed the last episode as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom