• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube announces support for 60fps videos

SugarDave

tumblr_mobc6jEoeB1rfuijjo1_250.gif

TheD

The Detective

Eusis

Now that they have the biggest platform available to market their games on board,maybe more devs will start to target 60 fps now? Many people prefer CoD even though they didn't know why. Even DICE saw this and made BF4 60fps (well, they tried..).

They wont
Eh, I'm cautiously optimistic. A lot will still blow it off I'm sure, but this time it's actually an easily marketable point.

Or they'll be dicks and use PC footage that's at 60 fps then release the console version at <30.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Do these 60fps vids not work in Firefox? Because the Titanfall I'm seeing is nowhere near 60fps.

edit: seems to only work when I go fullscreen. Is that on purpose?

I think it is just Titanfall running badly.
I thought so too, but fullscreen was appreciably better looking.

Do these 60fps vids not work in Firefox? Because the Titanfall I'm seeing is nowhere near 60fps.

I'm using the HTML5 player on Firefox and I can't get 60FPS. This may be because for whatever reason I can only choose between like 360p and 720p.

However I'm using the HTML5 player on Chrome as well and I can select 1080p. It looks like by selecting 1080p you enable 60FPS mode.

Wait do you really need to upload them in 1080p? That kinda sucks for older games. I don't want to have to upscale everything just to get 60 fps.

Still a great feature, but I hope they implement it better in the future.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

edit: seems to only work when I go fullscreen. Is that on purpose?

I thought so too, but fullscreen was appreciably better looking.
Titanfall can't keep 60fps during the Titan sequences. I'm guessing it's XB1 footage.

Yup, Firefox's shitting the bed on my side to run these videos 60FPS. It clearly is on Chrome.

Works fine for me in FF but only when going fullscreen. Although, if they make it accessible for chrome only, that def would push folks to use Chrome over FF.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Yeah it doesn't work so great on Firefox. I know Firefox can run 60fps embedded video from stuff like Twitch and Eurogamer, it's just not working well with YouTube's player.

wishdom

They finally understood the importance of 60 fps, took a while but at least it's finally coming...

it'sbeen3000years.gif

Only the max setting is 60 FPS (and because youtube has the dumbest programmers on earth, it will not play the max video quality for me bar it being set to do that in my settings and youtube never switches to the higher quality you tell it to for any part of the video it has already loaded up, thus this is useless).

Mine does the same thing. I have it set to automatically go to 1080p, yet it doesn't do so. I have to start a video, click 1080p, then fullscreen, and then wait about 10secs for it to switch to 1080p. I hate this but there doesn't seem to be a way around it.

Top Bottom