• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Wear |OT| 2nd Gen is Here

SimleuqiR

I've never seen a thread title so fitting.

Wait for the 2nd Gen.

Software wise Wear is nice, very solid. But these OEMs are really dropping the ball.

sirap

Jesus, was just about to jump on this till I heard about the battery life. Looks like I'll be sticking to my pebble for now, watches make no sense no matter how pretty they look if they crap out before the end of the day.

SimleuqiR

I want to wait for the second Gen. But, if no one buys them, there won't be a second gen. :(

All we need is:

• Apple's product to push the industry forward
  • Google to release a Nexus Watch.

With those two you will see how these OEMs get their heads out of their asses and actual build really nice wearables.

Something tells me the battery life is something that can at least be partially addressable by a software update. Wear 2.0 is coming, and lately Goog's been making solid strides at eliminating battery usage issues on my Nexus 5 by updates to Google Play Services.

LG G Watch R is already second gen, as far as I'm concerned.

All we need is:

• Apple's product to push the industry forward
  • Google to release a Nexus Watch.

With those two you will see how these OEMs get their heads out of their asses and actual build really nice wearables.

True. I mean, I'm all on board for the G Watch R provided the battery life is there. So I guess it's not all doom and gloom.

Brandson

Watches designed by electronics companies are not going to be successful but, if developed jointly with a watchmaker like Cartier, Jaeger LeCoultre, Rolex, IWC, or others, it would have a chance. It would not surprise me if that's the route Apple takes. Even a Suunto smartwatch would be considerably more desirable than what we've seen so far.

Ugh. That battery info is a killer. I was so hyped for this product, now that it's here I'm kinda underwhelmed. The wait was so frustrating.

I'm waiting to see what Apple announces. If their wearable is better (looks and functionality) I'm jumping ship back to Apple hardware (phone and wearable).

-PXG-

Wearing my G Watch now

8YHIb8z.jpg

Watches designed by electronics companies are not going to be successful but, if developed jointly with a watchmaker like Cartier, Jaeger LeCoultre, Rolex, IWC, or others, it would have a chance. It would not surprise me if that's the route Apple takes. Even a Suunto smartwatch would be considerably more desirable than what we've seen so far.
"Even"? Suunto watches are amazing. I've been debating getting one for a couple of years now but can never seem to settle on a model to take the jump with. :)

KeRaSh

I'd take a Moto 360 for 250-300€ over the same watch with a fancy high class watch maker logo for 1000€ any day of the week.
I'll probably replace my Tag Heuer with a 360 since I only wear my watch at work or when I go out so battery life is not an issue for me personally.

The 360 went from day -1 to probably never.

Given its size, you think they would've fit a bigger battery.

However, I suspect the very old and very battery inefficient OMAP 45nm processor is the main culprit here. If you're going to use a small battery, you need a more efficient processor.

giga

The 360 went from day -1 to probably never.

Given its size, you think they would've fit a bigger battery.

However, I suspect the very old and very battery inefficient OMAP 45nm processor is the main culprit here. If you're going to use a small battery, you need a more efficient processor.
Pretty embarrassing if they're still using that old of an soc.

Pretty embarrassing if they're still using that old of an soc.

They are.

Anandtech confirmed it. It's basically the shitty processor that was in the Galaxy Nexus almost 3 years ago.

They probably thought the watch didn't need good raw processing power (they're right), but didn't realize/care that new chips also bring tons of power efficiency.

It was also probably DIRT FUCKING cheap to buy this processor in bulk.

At the most basic level, this watch has a TI OMAP 3 for the main application processor. From a performance perspective the OMAP 3 is a solid and simple choice, packing a Cortex-A8 CPU alongside a PowerVR SGX 530 GPU, reflecting the fact that wearables don't require anything near cutting edge performance. However this choice in SoC is oddly out of date on the manufacturing side as OMAP 3 was produced on a now dated 45nm process. Though the Moto 360 doesn't need the performance benefits from from newer 28nm or 20nm processes, these newer processes can deliver similar performance with lower power consumption, which would seem to be a boon for a space and power constrained device such as a watch.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8493/motorola-launches-the-moto-360-hands-on-and-first-impressions

I had the intention of using my G Watch until the 360 came out and snapping that up, but the news of it potentially having worse battery life than what I've got now is ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned if that's true in real world use then it's dead to me. And between the news of Wear supporting GPS soon, wwhich isn't in any announced watch yet, and the G Watch R coming so soon after my buy, making me hesitant to get that, I guess I'm sticking with ol' squarey until someone can make a round unit with better battery and GPS. Shame.

spwolf

They are.

Anandtech confirmed it. It's basically the shitty processor that was in the Galaxy Nexus almost 3 years ago.

They probably thought the watch didn't need good raw processing power (they're right), but didn't realize/care that new chips also bring tons of power efficiency.

It was also probably DIRT FUCKING cheap to buy this processor in bulk.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8493/motorola-launches-the-moto-360-hands-on-and-first-impressions

well, cheaper competitors are using S400 though... and have bigger battery.

Partially it is probably Android Wear's fault,but that does not matter... not sure why would anyone get watch that lasts 10hrs.

Oh, you are going to get some beers after work? Watch is already dead.

Plus while wireless/contact charging is a good idea in general, if battery life is so poor for all of those watches, then better freaking make it possible to charge from anywhere.... I am not going to carry the cradle to the office.

I thought the thick size was hiding a big battery

We all did, but it seems it was just hiding the much larger processor. 45nm has a much bigger footprint.

well, cheaper competitors are using S400 though... and have bigger battery.

Those cheaper competitors are also using garbage, cheap build materials. Motorola clearly made a trade off here: leather, steel and a nonstandard circular display probably all add significantly more cost to the build of materials.

So, they went cheap with the processor to shave off the price tag, but it was a bad idea.

If they had went premium across the board, the price might've shifted closer to $300 but at least it would've been worth considering.

As is, the battery makes the 360 an instant, easy no-buy.

SeZMehK

Fucking hell the Moto 360 is already on backorder.

Ah screw it. I ordered it from Bestbuy. Let's see once my order is updated whether I get it soon or it is also backordered. I had to google for the bestbuy page for the moto360.

Jzero

Ah screw it. I ordered it from Bestbuy. Let's see once my order is updated whether I get it soon or it is also backordered. I had to google for the bestbuy page for the moto360.

It won't even let me order from best buy :(

iln8JBozGZeZT.PNG

spwolf

Those cheaper competitors are also using garbage, cheap build materials. Motorola clearly made a trade off here: leather, steel and a nonstandard circular display probably all add significantly more cost to the build of materials.

So, they went cheap with the processor to shave off the price tag, but it was a bad idea.

If they had went premium across the board, the price might've shifted closer to $300 but at least it would've been worth considering.

As is, the battery makes the 360 an instant, easy no-buy.

I dont see ZenWatch having cheaper materials at all... it has bigger battery, S400, metal build with leather strap bundled, curved AMOLED display. Gonna be $200.

Jzero

So im at best buy and they said the Moto 360 is not in stock yet. Their shipment is late or something, it should be here by 2PM PST.I was surprised that there was a couple of people asking about it at my local one. The wait begins.

lt519

I got an order in on Motorola, but not til the 19th, was going to do best buy ship to store but hesitated and missed out. Only one store within 2 hours had it in stock and it was the black one..

freshair

(not me)

For people with small wrists, doesn't seem too big on it.

Seems battery life isn't as bad as initially reported

For the record, my #moto360 has been on since 5:30 yesterday. Currently 43% left W/O charging. #whatbatteryissue
https://mobile.twitter.com/GlassesNGlitter/status/507920002310082560
Bwx-jOGCYAI-o8Y.jpg

Oh, and the #1 question I'm seeing is about battery life. So far... It's been pretty decent. Miles better than the LG G Watch, which is always on. I went most of a day yesterday and ended with 41%.
https://plus.google.com/+MarquesBrownlee/posts

Jzero

New Android Wear system update KGW42N is up.

What i've noticed that changed:

* Bigger Notifications: they take up a larger portion of the screen

* Improved alarms: You now have more options when setting alarms like the alarm being a one time thing or an every day thing

* Stable "Change Watch face " screen : changing the watch face is not laggy anymore.

TxdoHawk

I gotta imagine battery life is heavily impacted by notifications. Perhaps most people will get better mileage compared to the kind of inbox load a tech reviewer has.

Still pretty worrying, though. Maybe we'll see a quick turnaround on a "Moto 720" with a few small tweaks and a more efficient chipset?

Talon

Let's not inundate this thread with your hair ass hands.
I gotta imagine battery life is heavily impacted by notifications. Perhaps most people will get better mileage compared to the kind of inbox load a tech reviewer has.

Still pretty worrying, though. Maybe we'll see a quick turnaround on a "Moto 720" with a few small tweaks and a more efficient chipset?
Until battery density improves significant, it's a size constraint.

spwolf

also, Isnt Moto 360 display off completely most of the time? Unlike with LG, you have to tap it to get the time shown. Right?

That's good to hear about the battery being better than reported. All I really want is a full day's charge and I'll be happy. Still going to wait and see how LG R turns out though I'm not really a fan of the design.

also, Isnt Moto 360 display off completely most of the time? Unlike with LG, you have to tap it to get the time shown. Right?

Wait really? That's dumb. I just assumed it was like the LG where the time is always displayed. What good is a watch if you need to tap it to turn it on? I may as well pull out my phone at that point.

Jasoneyu

Wait really? That's dumb. I just assumed it was like the LG where the time is always displayed. What good is a watch if you need to tap it to turn it on? I may as well pull out my phone at that point.

If im understanding correctly, it should sense when you look at your watch turning on the display when needed (similar to the moto x - which I have and it works great when using the active display).

Zoned

Actively hates charity
What the hell happened to metal bands? Doesn't look anything like what we saw in the renders, and they are charging 80$ for these cheap looking bands. Can't believe it.

gsmarena_001.jpg

moto-360-limited-edition-81-640x456.png

hohoXD123

Moto 360 looked so promising too :(

What sort of improvements are people realistically expecting with the 2nd gen? Better battery life + smaller size?

The interface looks pretty sluggish and choppy. Also, does anyone feel Google's design language clashes with the style of the watch? I'd probably be able to make the battery last long enough, but i's not something I should have to worry about. Other than that the functionality looks great. I think it's a product I would enjoy.

Can't wait to try one out.

Top Bottom