• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS America Finally Opens NIS Europe Store: It's not all rosy dood.

Faustek

So lo and Behold, I can finally buy European LEs of some of my games. I should be happy right? No more importing, no more having to deal with US customs molesting my order

This package has been opened by US Customs

And even at times some idiot there would remove the plastic making the game not smell LIKE NEW GAME! Really annoying, but thank Jebus and his 13 Ponies that will end now with NISA opening up shop here. Well for some games. NISA doesn't hold the monopoly on the "niche" games I like.

Anyway, I should be happy, I actually am happy, very much so until I login to the store and see this.

8Umhoqc.png

What the hell are up with those prices? Direct conversion from $ to £?
£ is Brittish pound if you are one of those that never seen that symbol.
What the hell? oh wait, calm down nothing to be pissed about it probably includes shipping and Europe have a very expensive DHL service. They might use that...Oh fuck me, checked the shipping info

Standard UK Shipping £49.99 GBP and up £4.99 GBP
What? 5£ for shipping in uk? ok ok, doesn't matter, it's usually 2-4£ anyway and this is a LE so it weighs more. It's actually reasonable. Then I see this.

International Shipping £49.99 GBP and up £14.99 GBP
Everyone else in Europe will have to pay 15£ for shipping...no this isn't funny. Even including VAT, local fucked up taxes, which doesn't fucking exist if you're selling from a country in the European Union to another in the Union.

Going to use Danganronpa 2 as an example.

So NISA is trying to sell us a LE of Danganronpa 2 for 60£ add shipping to that it comes to 75£ which in turn translates to $128...this is insane.

Even importing and paying the VAT yourself plus the INTERNATIONAL shipping would be around $40 less, depending on shipping, than what they are asking now.

Not to mention that we're locked out from importing all the Anime and Random books they usually sell.

Nah this is fucked up, send a hit squad of prinnies after me if old dood

Ventara

Those are some crazy prices. Isn't this worse than importing? I live in Canada, so I don't know how much importing to Europe is, but seems to me it'd be cheaper just paying the US price and the shipping for importing. Maybe they'll fix the prices later and this is just a mistake?

Edit: Oh wait, you yourself pointed out it's cheaper to import. Don't know how I missed that.

Yuuichi

I pay less than that total price for importing 7000円 (~$70) games to the US with EMS shipping, that looks like some tier-a bullshit right there

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Yeah it's bullshit, already been discussed in the other thread since the store went up yesterday.

And they won't ship to Europe from the US store now, so you can't import from there anymore, which is obvious since nobody would have paid the ridiculous prices they are asking, clever bastards.

shink

lol
It's even in GBP for Australians when you select your pre-order selection =/

Australia & New Zealand
International Shipping £49.99 GBP and up £19.99 GBP

Hahahahahahaha

Reposting from the other thread, but yeah, really not happy about this. Especially now that we're locked out of ordering anything from the US store.

So... Danganronpa 2's limited edition (with shipping)

- $145 AUD from the Euro store
- $80 AUD from the US store

Durante

That just means I won't buy LEs.

Bless the PSN store for making it easy to do digital importing, without all the waiting and shipping cost business.

cluderi

Was mildly interested until I saw the pricing, sticking with regular UK store editions since they've now blocked the US store.

If it's not successful I imagine it'll get marked as "well guess those EU folk don't want limited editions" and not "guess those EU folk would like some fair prices instead of being screwed"

boingball

Not surprising. I kind of expected that.
What is even more awesome is that they lock out Australia and New Zealand from the american store as well. So we get high prices plus still high shipping costs.

Well, no more shopping with NIS then.

wrowa

Yeah, it's hilarious that ordering LEs is now more expensive than before.

Not surprising. I kind of expected that.
What is even more awesome is that they lock out Australia and New Zealand from the american store as well. So we get high prices plus still high shipping costs.

Well, no more shopping with NIS then.

For what it's worth, Europeans also have to pay high shipping costs. Nearly 20€ for shipping from the UK to the Netherlands is lol-worthy.

Don't worry, sales should fall off a cliff (unless they have a fanbase desperate enough to pay) and they will figure out that, I don't know, prices going up by about 70% might have something to do with it.

They clearly opened the store as they knew EU people liked to buy these things.

And they won't ship to Europe from the US store now, so you can't import from there anymore, which is obvious since nobody would have paid the ridiculous prices they are asking, clever bastards.

Bloody hell...
Fuck these guys.

So we finally get our own store and it's actually more expensive than importing from the US.
Fucking lol.

Cheeky

Even with a direct Euro conversion that still would be 36% as opposed to the 71% for the direct GBP conversion And that is not counting shipping and paypal/CC conversion fees.

It seems im gonna stop buying LEs from them and just buy games from VGP. Unless they open up the US store again...

Lernaean

Banned
Idk, i'm still excited.
It's not just import shipping, when a package from outside the EU is held on customs you may be asked for up to 70€ to release them. Has happened to me once and twice to a friend. Every package valued for 22€ or more can potentially be held, so i prefer to pay 100€ for one or two limited editions per year than taking my chances with customs officials.

Cheeky

Idk, i'm still excited.
It's not just import shipping, when a package from outside the EU is held on customs you may be asked for up to 70€ to release them. Has happened to me once and twice to a friend. Every package valued for 22€ or more can potentially be held, so i prefer to pay 100€ for one or two limited editions per year than taking my chances with customs officials.

And they always have downmarked and you could always ask them to do so.

In all my packages from them (Which is almost every one of them since AT2) i have only had one picked by customs.

AnGer

This is appalling. I sincerely hope that this conversion is a mistake on their part and not intentional. Until changes are made, I will refrain from purchasing any of their stuff. I certainly am not a cheapskate who buys every single game only when he gets it for almost nothing, but I am also not someone who jumps for joy when seeing markups like that – they almost double the price on everything they're selling.

Oh, and also thanks for shutting down the access to your anime store. At least you could've left that open.

Idk, i'm still excited.
FedEx (who NISA shipped to Europe with) and other couriers bypass customs (as they handle it internally) so the above scenario does not happen. They will still invoice you for tax and handling fees* for when packages are over €22.

If was standard airmail, then depends on what country you are in what happens and how the standard postal system handles these (usually with tax and handling fees*).

But seriously, what country are you in as it different in each. I have never heard of packages being held hostage for €70.

*-Filling out tax forms is like hard work (according to Royal Mail is £8 hard work, kind of lame when the actual tax you are paying is like £2). Of course there is no way for you to fill one out in advance yourself. Big companies like Amazon let you pre-pay the tax which bypasses the handling fee. I think eBay is offering a similar concierge service too.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
*-Filling out tax forms is like hard work (according to Royal Mail is £8 hard work, kind of lame when the actual tax you are paying is like £2).

I've had orders where they tried to charge me more in handling fees than the value of the goods being shipped. Needless to say, I didn't pay.

My understanding is that technically it's illegal for them to hold your goods unless you pay the handling fees.

Sakujou

Banned
I think the saddest fact about the shop and the prices is that there are more stupid people who are willing to pay these prices as us, the premium cheap arse gaffer are existing.

Wont dip to these ridiculous prices.

Shipping to mainland is 15pounds?!? What are they thinking???

TheChaos0

I'm pretty sure the reason they have opened the EU is because they saw enough people importing from the US store. I can't imagine many to keep on buying now. Sounds very counter productive for NISA, instead of increasing the sales, they'll just lose them. Not to mention that we can't import their blurays/dvds directly from their store anymore either.

Lernaean

Banned
I just want to point out for those that responded to my post that i never used their US store so i don't know if they could undervalue per customer request and whatnot.
I mostly use ebay for purchases from USA or Japan, just to clear this out.

Do i believe that we should politely make our displeasure regarding the EU shop prices known? Hell yeah.
But i'm still happy they have a EU store and if they fix their prices it's better for us. I find it hard to be angry at NISA especially since they are the publisher who actually bothers to bring Atlus to EU, something that as i have said before, is Sega's job recently.

Just wow at those prices and I can't believe they blocked the American store. There's a lot of bs here and they will find out when this stuff doesn't sell

I feel really bad for everyone affected by these increases and region blocks.

I'd suggest civilly letting NISA know how you feel about it.

MicH

I haven't used them before, but I feel bad for all my fellow Europeans interfered in their stuff. Those prices are ridiculous as is the obnoxious shipping fee to mainland Europe and Australia :/ Jesus!

ZeroX03

Banned
Was on the fence about the Danganronpa 2 LE because their US store charged way too much for shipping to Australia. Then they decide to add another $40 to the mix with this stunt? Get fucked.

Will buy Danganronpa 2 digitally from the US store.

Just to put things into perspective, Danganronpa 2 is $59.99 (£35) on the US NIS store - even with their mandatory FedEx shipping for international customers and assuming you get unlucky and are slapped with a customs charge + handling fee on top it still comes in slightly cheaper than the £65 you'd pay buying direct from the EU store. Way less if you get lucky and customs doesn't catch you.

Oh, except now you can't order anything (games, anime, merchandise) from their US store.

Hagi

Hmm not sure how i feel about this. I mean I'm used to getting reamed when it comes to pricing compared to our American brothers and sisters but i didn't expect this much a difference and stopping the sale of even anime from the US store (games is understandable) just leaves a bad taste dood.

genbatzu

importing from USA to austria would cost $60+Shipping ($15~30)+ 20% "tax on items imported" if the customs scan it.

so roughly $90 or €65 or £51

normally if I buy someting from an EU country I pay the tax difference (e.g. if I buy in germany, were they have 19% VAT I'll pay +1%, because we have 20% VAT)

so £75 = €94 = $128

to save some shipping time it will cost roughly 33% more
hahaha, no.

Faustek

Idk, i'm still excited.

Once upon a time I would have been there with you but now? No, we have laws in the Union that have made it easier for us to import. For Example if it gets held in customs they can demand that you pay the VAT on the shipments value, this is totaled cost so that means included the shipment fees plus the tax/duty but only up to 25% of all these.

To make it easy

Item cost plus tax + duty and this total value + 25%

I've had orders where they tried to charge me more in handling fees than the value of the goods being shipped. Needless to say, I didn't pay.

My understanding is that technically it's illegal for them to hold your goods unless you pay the handling fees.

Technically it is illegal yes but no one has ever had the patience to take this branch of government to task. Why? Reasons -.-

Do i believe that we should politely make our displeasure regarding the EU shop prices known? Hell yeah.
But i'm still happy they have a EU store and if they fix their prices it's better for us. I find it hard to be angry at NISA especially since they are the publisher who actually bothers to bring Atlus to EU, something that as i have said before, is Sega's job recently.

All I can think of is how people are complaining about the Atlus Tax. What the hell is this then? Atlus + NISA + screw everyone over tax?

On/offtopic: Didn't Uk get a tax break on videogames as well? Like it's nearly non-existent these days or like 25% of the usual tax? Or was that ridiculous clause about being "BRITTISH" true?

Itsuki

Talked to them on the live chat. I asked them if they're going to change the prices and they replied me this:
VbyD6c7.png

After that, they didn't talk to me again and they deleted all of the reviews compaining about the prices.

Reposting from the other thread, but yeah, really not happy about this. Especially now that we're locked out of ordering anything from the US store.

So... Danganronpa 2's limited edition (with shipping)

- $145 AUD from the Euro store
- $80 AUD from the US store

What a joke. I’m glad I got in at the last minute and pre-ordered it from America to Australia for $73.75 (the cheapest shipping).

The fact that they won’t ship American copies to Europe/Australia now is pretty scummy too. Those prices are just...yeah...no...

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yeah those prices are waaaay to pricey, oh well they will probably end up lowering them if sales are low or shut the site down due to low demand.

I will just stick with Amazon and Shopto.

*-Filling out tax forms is like hard work (according to Royal Mail is £8 hard work, kind of lame when the actual tax you are paying is like £2). Of course there is no way for you to fill one out in advance yourself. Big companies like Amazon let you pre-pay the tax which bypasses the handling fee. I think eBay is offering a similar concierge service too.

Urgh, I hate that crap filling out form should not be £8.

wrowa

Yeah, a simple button to switch prices to Euro wouldn't be too much to ask for for a shop that's being called a "European" store, even if they still charge in GBP in the end. Most people don't know the conversion rate of the GPB without asking Google first...

On/offtopic: Didn't Uk get a tax break on videogames as well? Like it's nearly non-existent these days or like 25% of the usual tax? Or was that ridiculous clause about being "BRITTISH" true?
That was for videogame developers so they might be more keen on setting up base in the UK. Of course they took so long to bring this in that many had closed up in the interim.

For consumers games are taxed (VAT) like most other things.

NotLiquid

Fuck. I really want that PQ LE but I don't want to deal with these prices.

And I can't import it either because 3DS.

Zhao_Yun

Talked to them on the live chat. I asked them if they're going to change the prices and they replied me this:
VbyD6c7.png

After that, they didn't talk to me again and they deleted all of the reviews compaining about the prices.

wow, I really started to like NISA but they lost me with this bs. I hope no one buys those overpriced LEs.

7threst

I was so happy until I saw these prices. I can't (and don't want to) pay that. And I can't import from the US store? What happened NIS, you used to be cool! A real bummer, this. :(

Top Bottom