• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2014 (Jun 23 - Jun 29)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Just imagine if Sony didnt lost Monster Hunter. Granted, we probably wouldnt have had any of these Monster Hunter esque games, but I would wager the Vita would be a bigger seller in Japan if it had Monster Hunter.

Captain Obvious to the rescue xD

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If Sony put this level of effort into establishing a Japanese first party line-up on the PSP, they might have actually had something to support the Vita with during its early years.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well I meant something similar to this. I remembered some weeks ago PS4 changed it's position with PS3 but the difference was just a few units or so.

It's a joke pose.

Nothing wrong with that, indeed.

WO3 is around the same (very low) levels on both MC and Famitsu. The only difference is that, for Famitsu, it's sold better than Kamen Rider. Even if it's higher than KR Wii U, it's still very, very low. :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If Sony put this level of effort into establishing a Japanese first party line-up on the PSP, they might have actually had something to support the Vita with during its early years.

I think that being the third party support always strong on PS platforms, they didn't see the advantage of spending on that front, especially if home console exclusive were attacked by Microsoft. In fact I remember them spending a lot of effort in reinforcing first-party offer on PS3 exactly to differentiate their library over Xbox360 one (while on PSX and PS2 it was easier to get third party exclusive for them). On PSP they started with a strong third party support borned by PSX-PS2 era.
I think that Vita struggles are opening a space for unexpected good results for Sony Japan developed/published/funded games (like Soulc Sacrifice and Freedom Wars).

Takao

Banned
MH would be huge even on WonderSwan :-D

I'm pretty sure the Wonder Swan was discontinued before MH launched on PS2. ;p

The best case scenario for a Monster Hunter on Vita would be matching the 3DS games. The most realistic scenario would be it sells worse by a fair amount.
That's a lie, most realistic scenario is that MH Vita doesn't happen.
Capcom would still make tonnes of money, but they don't care. They'd rather keep Ichinose (the director of the MHP games who has been missing since the Nintendo transition) in a locked dungeon.
I strongly believe Sony should try and give Vita some flavour by releasing a Patapon and a Locoroco game on it. They are ok sellers and feel miles different that the dozens of hunting games.

They probably expect them to flop because of what the install base consists of, but they need to start from somewhere.

I think LocoRoco is dead. I remember them really trying to make it a big thing, but the series never caught on or even sold all that well. Patapon on the other hand grew with every entry on PSP in Japan. I don't know why it's missing.

I agree with the overall sentiment that SCE needs to start broadening Vita's software library. There's next to nothing in their first party portfolio that is guaranteed winner in Japan, but a Vita Ape Escape, Parappa, My Summer Vacation (maybe port the PS3 one?), another Hot Shots, Gran Turismo (lol) and maybe a proper Tokyo Jungle are things they should look at making. If they get real desperate, maybe launch one of those cross-media kids IPs or an Animal Crossing clone.

Square Enix and Capcom are probably lost causes at this point, but I think it would be worth their time to pursue some third party titles too. Get Konami to finally release a PES on the machine. Work with Bandai Namco on getting a Taiko. Beg Level-5 to revive Ushiro on Vita.

I think that being the third party support always strong on PS platforms, they didn't see the advantage of spending on that front, especially if home console exclusive were attacked by Microsoft. In fact I remember them spending a lot of effort in reinforcing first-party offer on PS3 exactly to differentiate their library over Xbox360 one (while on PSX and PS2 it was easier to get third party exclusive for them). On PSP they started with a strong third party support borned by PSX-PS2 era.
I think that Vita struggles are opening a space for unexpected good results for Sony Japan developed/published/funded games (like Soulc Sacrifice and Freedom Wars).

Pretty much.

http://kotaku.com/how-sonys-most-creative-studio-rose-from-the-ashes-1458030068

"We launched the PS Vita and saw few AAA titles to suit the Japanese market," Yoshida said. "Everyone got a wake up call." The solution was obvious and it was going to involve Sony's Japan Studio. "We really have to support our first party," Yoshida remembered thinking. That was 2011. And by the next year, Sony brought in Allan Becker to make sure that the studio could deliver.

jakncoke

Banned
Meh week as usual.
WiiU stabilizing at 9-10k, lolPS4, Vita falling next week again I guess.

You do know stabilizing at 9-10k is still in fact lol sales right?

Also now time to see how low ps4 goes, next game to have a chance at a 50k+ opening is looking very far into the future.

Spiegel

Yeah, I called this years ago at the height of the PSP. It was absolutely mindblowing how third parties were thriving at that time and all SCE was doing was releasing low budget bombas/low budget small successes (the Patapon and What did i do to deserve this my lord series)

They wasted the psp userbase doing nothing.

Freedom Wars/Soul Sacrifice should have been established around the same time as Phantasy Star Portable 2 and God Eater.

Eolz

You do know stabilizing at 9-10k is still in fact lol sales right?

Also now time to see how low ps4 goes, next game to have a chance at a 50k+ opening is looking very far into the future.

I know, but the watch dogs "bump" is even more (sad) lol worthy. Every console here has pretty bad sales.

jakncoke

Banned
I know, but the watch dogs "bump" is even more (sad) lol worthy. Every console here has pretty sales.

I dont think anyone expected Watch Dogs to give it any kind of bump. Just thought of something,Is GTA5 ps4 edition coming to Japan? If so, is it dated? Dont see it on the game faqs wasteland list

You'd be mistaken.

God of War: Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta
Daxter
Rachet and Clank: Size Matters
Killzone: Liberation
Resistance: Retribution
ATV Offroad Fury Pro
Gran Turismo PSP
LittleBigPlanetPSP
Gangs of London
Kingdom of Paradise
LocoRoco
MediEvil Resurrection
MotorStorm: Arctic Edge
Patapon
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow
Wipeout
Untold Legends: The Warrior's Code + Brotherhood of the Blade

Can't think of all of them but these are some.

Hmm. With all the HD re-releases that happened on PS3 and are happening now on PS4, I am surprised Sony hasnt tried doing that yet on the Vita: re-releasing some of the above PSP games uprezzed and maybe improved controls. Honestly, I would love a Patapon collection...

mclem

that's a good result, if we think how poorly it was perfoming back in 2012, isn't it?

I'm curious how it's tracking compared to the first years of the PS3, I think it might actually be comparable. Long-term, that might actually be fairly encouraging for Sony.

Edit: Oh, Foshy said much the same.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm curious how it's tracking compared to the first years of the PS3, I think it might actually be comparable. Long-term, that might actually be fairly encouraging for Sony.

Edit: Oh, Foshy said much the same.

Well, someonw posted the "race to 3 millions". It is behind PS3.
But the main differences are:

- PS3 started at an absolutely crazy price. That was insane, but also offered a lot of room to cut the price too.
- PS3 still had 90% of third party projects planned for the console; even if multiplatform with X360, in Japan that meant being almost exclusives
- PS3 still had room, tied with the multiplatform development allowed with X360, with very good success in the West, that meant a lot in terms of absolute numbers (if you sum NA and PAL markets volumes, you'll see that the Japanese one is way smaller)

Vita has nothing of these pro:

- it started at the same price as 3DS. Wrong for both, probably. And already cut the price (if I remember correctly)
- it already launched a new model
- it has few third party support (it's not null as for Wii U, but way thinner than the PSP one or the PS3 one)
- it is almost dead in the West

So, I don't think that up to now we could foresee a "PS3-like" future for Vita.
But please note that I was among the fews that back in the tough days still saw a (little maybe) potential in Japan for this console (nothing mind blowing, but far from the complete disaster it seemed in 2012, especially after that terrible Christmas)

Shinriji

I agree with the overall sentiment that SCE needs to start broadening Vita's software library. There's next to nothing in their first party portfolio that is guaranteed winner in Japan, but a Vita Ape Escape, Parappa, My Summer Vacation (maybe port the PS3 one?), another Hot Shots, Gran Turismo (lol) and maybe a proper Tokyo Jungle are things they should look at making. If they get real desperate, maybe launch one of those cross-media kids IPs or an Animal Crossing clone.

LOL, no. Focus only in games that sells. Hot Shots Golf and Gran Turismo only and new entries of Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars. Let the thirds carry the weight of trying something new.

Watch Dogs did well?

ISTSTly.gif

Was hoping for a ~2k hw bump. Oh well. Next big game is TLOU or Destiny? Both won't sell as well imo.

RalchAC

Yeah, I called this years ago at the height of the PSP. It was absolutely mindblowing how third parties were thriving at that time and all SCE was doing was releasing low budget bombas/low budget small successes (the Patapon and What did i do to deserve this my lord series)

They wasted the psp userbase doing nothing.

Freedom Wars/Soul Sacrifice should have been established around the same time as Phantasy Star Portable 2 and God Eater.

This a thousand times. It's incredibles that they've been sitting on their asses doing nothing for almost a whole gen.

Aside Gran Turismo, their biggest projects were outsourced to other studios / publishers. White Knight Chronicles was co-developed with Level-5 iirc. And Demon's Souls was a From game.

Well, someonw posted the "race to 3 millions". It is behind PS3.
But the main differences are:

- PS3 started at an absolutely crazy price. That was insane, but also offered a lot of room to cut the price too.
- PS3 still had 90% of third party projects planned for the console; even if multiplatform with X360, in Japan that meant being almost exclusives
- PS3 still had room, tied with the multiplatform development allowed with X360, with very good success in the West, that meant a lot in terms of absolute numbers (if you sum NA and PAL markets volumes, you'll see that the Japanese one is way smaller)

Vita has nothing of these pro:

- it started at the same price as 3DS. Wrong for both, probably. And already cut the price (if I remember correctly).
- it already launched a new model
- it has few third party support (it's not null as for Wii U, but way thinner than the PSP one or the PS3 one)
- it is almost dead in the West

So, I don't think that up to now we could foresee a "PS3-like" future for Vita.
But please note that I was among the fews that back in the tough days still saw a (little maybe) potential in Japan for this console (nothing mind blowing, but far from the complete disaster it seemed in 2012, especially after that terrible Christmas)

Even if both launched at the same price, the 3DS had a pricecut before the Vita release and it doesn't use a propietary memory card system like the Vita. Those little things count and prices were really bad at launcnh.

And Sony doesn't "know" how to sell their revisions as well as Nintendo does. The latter does more substantial modifications in their hardware.

I think we may see a pricedrop to 16000 yens this year.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Even if both launched at the same price, the 3DS had a pricecut before the Vita release and it doesn't use a propietary memory card system like the Vita. Those little things count and prices were really bad at launcnh.

And Sony doesn't "know" how to sell their revisions as well as Nintendo does. The latter does more substantial modifications in their hardware.

Oh, I agree.
I was just pointing out how, to me, PS3 had more "solvebale issues" and more arrows to be used to a substiantial relaunch than Vita.

Mr Swine

Banned
This a thousand times. It's incredibles that they've been sitting on their asses doing nothing for almost a whole gen.

Aside Gran Turismo, their biggest projects were outsourced to other studios / publishers. White Knight Chronicles was co-developed with Level-5 iirc. And Demon's Souls was a From game.

So a pricedrop for Vita this year and a new hardware revision next year like Vita 3000 to keep sales YOY? Or is it simply enough that Vita sales will be worse next year and so on?

Either way good sales for Freedom Wars, not so good sales for the handhelds/consoles

Son Of D

13./00. [WIU] Kamen Rider: Battride War II # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.26} (¥7.689) - 6.936 / NEW
14./00. [PS4] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.06.26} (¥7.344) - 6.768 / NEW

Woooooow.

Remember that WO3U had been released on PS3 and Vita late last year (or early this year) so a lot of people who would have wanted it would have bought it on either of those platforms. Plus WO3U on PS4 being the fifth release of the game (The original PS3 release, a PSP port, a Wii U port, a PS3/PSV port and now the PS4 port).

Eolz

I really don't think we'll get a Vita 3000 until next year, if ever.
Riding it out without really a justification for another revision.

RalchAC

I really don't think we'll get a Vita 3000 until next year, if ever.
Riding it out without really a justification for another revision.

The PSP-3000 released like a year after the previous model iirc.

But yes, pricedrop for 2014 and new model for 2015 seems likely.

Takao

Banned
LOL, no. Focus only in games that sells. Hot Shots Golf and Gran Turismo only and new entries of Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars. Let the thirds carry the weight of trying something new.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic by pointing out what SCE seems to think, or if this is your genuine opinion.

The problem is kind of simple: third parties aren't doing anything new for Vita. It's all otaku RPGs, rhythm games and co-operative action titles.

A lack of original and fresh ideas is kind of an industry wide problem. SCEJ's PSP stuff may have not been blockbusters, but they were the kind of games no one else was making. I always found it kind of disheartening to see people clamour for them to make games in existing templates.

Son Of D

By the way, was Watch Dogs heavily marketed in Japan? And if so which platform was the "lead platform" for marketing? I'm guessing PS4 like it was outside of Japan.

Shinriji

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic by pointing out what SCE seems to think, or if this is your genuine opinion.

The problem is kind of simple: third parties aren't doing anything new for Vita. It's all otaku RPGs, rhythm games and co-operative action titles.

A lack of original and fresh ideas is kind of an industry wide problem. SCEJ's PSP stuff may have not been blockbusters, but they were the kind of games no one else was making. I always found it kind of disheartening to see people clamour for them to make games in existing templates.

My point is that the Sony low budget, experimental stuff is often terrible. In fact, The Last Guy is the only one that I really liked. Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars and Gravity Rush are better games that all the Sony PSP era support, and also sells better to boot, considering that the vita is a failed hardware.

down 2 orth

I wish I knew enough about whats going on in Japan to see how Sony marketed Freedom Wars. Those are pretty impressive numbers.

Vita: 23.124 > 33.287 (Welcome Box)

Sony will release the Super Value Pack on July 10 (Wi-Fi)
and July 24 (3G)
. I think we can expect another 10k bump.

Nice opening for Freedom Wars, surprised Vita didn't outsell 3DS.

About the PS4... looks like it has baselined under the Wii U, no?
Surprised the baselines are so close, considering Wii U has more software both in general and for the Japanese market. Seems the PS4 should definitely pass it once it gets some Japanese games. Poor Wii U.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't know what you're referring to as a "partnership deal". SCE owns Freedom Wars outright and while their external projects have helped the platform, SCE hasn't done a lot of Japanese Vita games. For retail it's just been Hot Shots Golf, Gravity Rush (the only internal game), Soul Sacrifce (+ Delta), Freedom Wars and the upcoming launch of OreShika 2.

I think it's time they stop focusing on that genre with Vita. It's not really doing much for hardware as it seems the people that want a non-MH co-operative action game already own a Vita. Either get a proper MH (which they aren't) or move on.
Must it always be about increasing hardware sales? I'm sure these games are quite profitable for Sony, so why should they not make them? I've read the same stance regarding 2D platformers on Wii U and I can't understand it. Of course, it would be wise to offer different games too, to enlarge the audience - also for the games of the established genres on the platform.

LOCK

Software did great this week. Watch Dogs did way above my expectations. Holdovers held nicely as well.

It's nice to see hardware increase at this point.

jtan

Let's go VITA!!

Nice numbers for Freedom Wars, hopefully the news of it being too difficult doesn't affect sales next week.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Watch_Dogs doing well concerns me.

1) It's a western, open world game, which traditionally do not do so well (barring GTA, which does decent). This shows a shift gameplay preference to be more in line with western tastes, which could lead to fewer and fewer quirky, Japan-centric titles.

2) Watch_Dogs isn't even that great, which shows a lack of taste in general.

RalchAC

1) It's a western, open world game, which traditionally do not do so well (barring GTA, which does decent). This shows a shift gameplay preference to be more in line with western tastes, which could lead to fewer and fewer quirky, Japan-centric titles.

It "looks" like GTA and GTA is popular there. PS4 buyers are mainly people that liked Western games (no other real reason to buy the console). And they wanted something to play.

I don't get why that could lead to fewer Japan-centric games. If the market is going the route is going it's not because certain Western games sell well. If anything, Western games becoming big sellers could "save" the homeconsole market since install base will grow faster.

A lack of taste in Japan? More like a lack of taste in the whole world. I haven't played it so I won't criticize it, but most people I know that bought the game (not as picky as people in GAF) feel the game lacks "something".

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
It "looks" like GTA and GTA is popular there. PS4 buyers are mainly people that liked Western games (no other real reason to buy the console). And they wanted something to play.

I don't get why that could lead to fewer Japan-centric games. If the market is going the route is going it's not because certain Western games sell well. If anything, Western games becoming big sellers could "save" the homeconsole market since install base will grow faster.

Good point on PS4 owners not really having a lot of options as far as Japanese-developed games (or ANY games) go at this early point in the console's life. My reaction was fairly knee-jerk, and certainly there many factors at play in the Watch_Dogs numbers.

My main fear is that younger Japanese gamers will embrace western tastes to a degree that will eventually lead to homogenization of what's offered gameplay and game mechanic-wise, overall.

I guess I just want 90s-2000s Japanese game development back. Okami, Skies of Arcadia, Otogi, Dark Cloud, Devil May Cry... I want modern games that bring back the same feeling I had playing these games for the first time.

*sniff*

1) GTA sold 700k and guess what ; its an open world western game.....gasp. Maybe gamers in Japan are seeing the allure to such a genre.

2) Thats just your opinion. Many gaffers have stated their love for this game.

I think its about time Japan started to buy or get into great Western games. Even though 90% of the games I play are Japanese, I don't discriminate just because its a Western game. Deus Ex HR was better than 90% of the rpg's Japan put out last generation. Incredible rpg that game was.

Good point on PS4 owners not really having a lot of options as far as Japanese-developed games (or ANY games) go at this early point in the console's life. My reaction was fairly knee-jerk, and certainly there many factors at play in the Watch_Dogs numbers.

My main fear is that younger Japanese gamers will embrace western tastes to a degree that will eventually lead to homogenization of what's offered gameplay and game mechanic-wise, overall.

I guess I just want 90s-2000s Japanese game development back. Okami, Skies of Arcadia, Otogi, Dark Cloud, Devil May Cry... I want modern games that bring back the same feeling I had playing these games for the first time.

*sniff*

Its almost as if you can't like both Western and Japanese games lol

Also, I think in some cases those devs have made even better games than the ones you listed.

VC > Skies, DMC 3 was the best one of the series, and I rather have Souls than Otogi any day of the year.

PS4's trajectory is going to look similar to PS3's, except even more western focused with fewer games overall.

Right now, there are basically two camps of people who comprise the PS4 userbase in Japan: those who bought Yakuza/Ground Zeroes and are waiting for games like FFXV, and those who bought it in order to play the games with best graphics available. For the latter, currently that means western PS4 games. This is a niche group but it's been growing since PS3's inception - Japanese gamers who are adapting more to western gameplay and drawn to the graphics / tech.

Right now, any obscure / quirky mid-level games releasing on the PS4 would be doomed to failure since they don't appeal to the two camps above, which is why you're not seeing any.

For the next year or so, the growth of the userbase is going to be largely driven by games like Deep Down, Yakuza, and Bloodborne (maybe Tales). I would include games such as Street Fighter and Resident Evil in this category as well but, these games have not been announced. There will be some growth coming from games like Destiny, DriveClub and the Order, but that will be smaller by comparison.

Even if FFXV is ready to release today, there is no way SE would release the game on a platform that's sold 600k, or even 1m. Final Fantasy won't come until the userbase is closer to 3-4m, which will be built by the aforementioned games. Once Final Fantasy releases, this will attract a whole new group of gamers to the platform. Only then, will there be enough PS4 users to sustain the smaller, more risky / experimental Japanese games, and more smaller companies will start to churn them out, with lower graphic fidelity of course.

The difference between the PS3 gen and the PS4 gen is that western games will play a bigger role, you'll see fewer games in general due to larger budgets (we're already seeing this), and more mid-level games going F2P and smaller games going mobile.

Takao

Banned
Must it always be about increasing hardware sales? I'm sure these games are quite profitable for Sony, so why should they not make them? I've read the same stance regarding 2D platformers on Wii U and I can't understand it. Of course, it would be wise to offer different games too, to enlarge the audience - also for the games of the established genres on the platform.

For Sony, it doesn't have to be an either or situation. Most of the games I mentioned don't have overlapping development staff as they're made by external studios. Pyramid making Patapon 4 doesn't prevent Marvelous from making Soul Sacrifice 2, etc.

I'm of the opinion that it's imperative to start diversifying Vita's software library. I think what we'll see happen with the sequels to Toukiden, God Eater, Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars is stagnation or a slight decline in software sales. People can get burned out of a genre, but these other titles could bring in a new crowd that might buy into the already existing genres once they own the device.

My point is that the Sony low budget, experimental stuff is often terrible. In fact, The Last Guy is the only one that I really liked. Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars and Gravity Rush are better games that all the Sony PSP era support, and also sells better to boot, considering that the vita is a failed hardware.

Gravity Rush is a pretty oddball game, though. Think about it, is there another title remotely similar to Gravity Rush? Yes, it's a character action game, but the focus wasn't combat, it was on traversal. Gravity Rush was given the go ahead during the SCE Japan era of unorganized creativity too.

Sucks about your enjoyment of their other projects. I thought a bunch of them were really well done.

For Sony, it doesn't have to be an either or situation. Most of the games I mentioned don't have overlapping development staff as they're made by external studios. Pyramid making Patapon 4 doesn't prevent MarvelousAQL from making Soul Sacrifice 2, etc.

I'm of the opinion that it's imperative to start diversifying Vita's software library. I think what we'll see happen with the sequels to Toukiden, God Eater, Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars is stagnation or a slight decline in software sales. People can get burned out of a genre, but these other titles could bring in a new crowd that might buy into the already existing genres once they own the device.

Gravity Rush is a pretty oddball game, though. Think about it, is there another title remotely similar to Gravity Rush? Yes, it's a character action game, but the focus wasn't combat, it was flight. Gravity Rush was given the go ahead during the SCE Japan era of unorganized creativity too.

Sucks about your enjoyment of their other projects. I thought a bunch of them were really well done.

Gravity Rush and Tokyo Jungle are my favourites.

Tokyo Jungle actually did well.

Gravity Rush is a pretty oddball game, though. Think about it, is there another title remotely similar to Gravity Rush? Yes, it's a character action game, but the focus wasn't combat, it was on traversal. Gravity Rush was given the go ahead during the SCE Japan era of unorganized creativity too.

I wouldn't call Gravity Rush low-budget, though it's not a hugely expensive project either I'm guessing. Tokyo Jungle would be a better example, though that's an experiment that I think came off rather well. Did Tokyo Jungle Mobile ever get a release in Japan?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Its almost as if you can't like both Western and Japanese games lol

Also, I think in some cases those devs have made even better games than the ones you listed.

VC > Skies, DMC 3 was the best one of the series, and I rather have Souls than Otogi any day of the year.

I play and love both western and Japanese games. Skyrim (modded, on PC) and Dark Souls are two of my favorite games last gen.

I agree with you about VC > Skies (is this the same dev team though?) and Souls > Otogi. I wasn't meaning to highlight those as the best examples of what each dev has done, but rather to rattle off a few of the memorable Japanese-developed games of that era.

There are certainly some AMAZING Japanese games out right now - some of my favorites of all time - but there just aren't as many Japanese games being released any more.

PS4's trajectory is going to look similar to PS3's, except even more western focused with fewer games overall.

Right now, there are basically two camps of people who comprise the PS4 userbase in Japan: those who bought Yakuza/Ground Zeroes and are waiting for games like FFXV, and those who bought it in order to play the games with best graphics available. For the latter, currently that means western PS4 games. This is a niche group but it's been growing since PS3's inception - Japanese gamers who are adapting more to western gameplay and drawn to the graphics / tech.

Right now, any obscure / quirky mid-level games releasing on the PS4 would be doomed to failure since they don't appeal to the two camps above, which is why you're not seeing any.

For the next year or so, the growth of the userbase is going to be largely driven by games like Deep Down, Yakuza, and Bloodborne (maybe Tales). I would include games such as Street Fighter and Resident Evil in this category as well but, these games have not been announced. There will be some growth coming from games like Destiny, DriveClub and the Order, but that will be smaller by comparison.

Even if FFXV is ready to release today, there is no way SE would release the game on a platform that's sold 600k, or even 1m. Final Fantasy won't come until the userbase is closer to 3-4m, which will be built by the aforementioned games. Once Final Fantasy releases, this will attract a whole new group of gamers to the platform. Only then, will there be enough PS4 users to sustain the smaller, more risky / experimental Japanese games, and more smaller companies will start to churn them out, with lower graphic fidelity of course.

The difference between the PS3 gen and the PS4 gen is that western games will play a bigger role, you'll see fewer games in general due to larger budgets (we're already seeing this), and more mid-level games going F2P and smaller games going mobile.

Excellent insight, thanks.

Top Bottom