• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House petition begun to rename Reagan Airport after Tim Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lkr

Tim Howard may very well be the most popular man in America at this moment. So much so, an official White House petition was started Tuesday night to rename the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport after Howard -- seriously.

Although the U.S. men’s national soccer team was defeated by Belgium 2- 1 in the knockout round Tuesday afternoon, goalie Tim Howard emerged a national icon for his amazing work between the posts.

Fans created a petition on the White House website asking that Reagan Airport be renamed after Howard.

“We politely request that we rename the airport to recognize his accomplishments, and meritorious service to the United States of America,” the petition states.

Anyone can post a petition on the "We the People" site, launched by the White House. If a petition gets 100,000 signatures, the administration will respond.

Previously, it only took 25,000 signatures for an official response, but that number was increased after a 2013 petition to build a Death Star -- the planet-destroying space structure from “Star Wars” -- gained enough signatures that it had to be officially addressed.

The bald-headed, black-bearded Howard had a record-setting day with 16 saves, the most recorded a World Cup game since FIFA starting taking track of that statistic.

After the game, an emotional Howard said the Americans played their hearts out.

“The dream fell short, but this is an incredible group, and we’ll never forget this night,” he said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-wc-petition-howard-airport-20140701-story.html

Link to petition: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...port-dca-tim-howard-national-airport/jrYbykxD

Let's do it GAF!

Sanjay

"Previously, it only took 25,000 signatures for an official response, but that number was increased after a 2013 petition to build a Death Star -- the planet-destroying space structure from “Star Wars” -- gained enough signatures that it had to be officially addressed."

Amazing.

Tim Howard would have got England to the knock out stages.

Lkr

"Previously, it only took 25,000 signatures for an official response, but that number was increased after a 2013 petition to build a Death Star -- the planet-destroying space structure from “Star Wars” -- gained enough signatures that it had to be officially addressed."

Amazing.

Tim Howard would have got England to the knock out stages.

Only if he was handling corners instead of Rooney

It was pretty stupid to change the signature requirements because of a joke. Now some good ideas won't make the threshold. But jokes can always eventually.

Lkr

Yeah, but then no planes would be able to get into the airport:(

tim-howard.jpg

http://gfycat.com/MarriedUnknownAmericanbadger here are all the saves if anyone didn't get to see em

It'd make more sense if US had actually won. Let's not react in a kneejerk fashion and forget a great American President just to commemorate losing losers.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Some blog is going to try to spin this with some clever wording and set some people off. Lol

Kyzer

Banned
It'd make more sense if US had actually won. Let's not react in a kneejerk fashion and forget a great American President just to commemorate losing losers.

He set a world record lol. He's literally the reason we weren't obliterated, and to fans watching it was obvious we wouldn't stand a chance without him. Conversely, we legitimately had a chance to win thanks to him. Its really not understandable unless you were watching and cheeringfor the team. He's a legend now.

Misleading title.

Should be

White House petition begun to rename National Airport after Tim Howard

Try to pull that reagan crap in DC and youll get shot

Guerilla

They can name it BeatleJuice as long as they remove that piece of shit's name from the place. Having said that Tim Howard's game might be the most impressive thing I've watched during this Worldcup and even though I wanted Belgium to win I must admit that the US team was fucking heroic the last 15 minutes of the game.

What a fucking excellent match.

jts

...hate me...
Ironic, because someone looking like Tim Howard looks right now would probably have a hard time in an american airport.

tim-howard.jpg

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Well, Tim Howard surely had a more positive impact upon the world and the USA than RR.
.. Just like roughly every single human being in history!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I like how they increased the number of signatures needed for a response to 100,000 because something got enough signatures to warrant a response. "Hey, this joke petition got through, better make it even harder for people to raise awareness of real issues rather than have to say no to silly petitions every so often!"

I don't think anyone will "forget" William Howard Taft
I'm not from the USA and I know who Taft is. He was so fat he got stuck in the bath, right?

Lkr

I like how they increased the number of signatures needed for a response to 100,000 because something got enough signatures to warrant a response. "Hey, this joke petition got through, better make it even harder for people to raise awareness of real issues rather than have to say no to silly petitions every so often!"

I'm not from the USA and I know who Taft is. He was so fat he got stuck in the bath, right?

yep. must be easy for you guys to make fun of us with a story like that :(

These petitions are great. Even though we assume they won't do it, it does force them to issue a statement. And they seem to have a lot of fun issuing interesting and educational statements. For example, see the ones on the Death Star and the one on Area 51.

Respect

Felt bad for Howard...US didn't deserve that win as they were clearly out played by Belgium, but Howard was a champ. Was hoping they would pull it out just simply to not squander an amazing performance by Howard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom