• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming-rewards credit cards

Magnus

I feel like a chump for using a lame cash back rewards card this whole time. May as well get a sweet reward considering how much I use it.

I'm not looking for travel rewards or points towards a car. A lot of my disposable income goes toward gaming so I'm wondering if there are neat options out there for gaming/electronics-based rewards cards that you guys have experience with.

In Canada, btw.

GrizzNKev

Banned
There is the Playstation card. I got a PS4 controller and am about to get a $50 PSN code. To get rewards fast you have to buy stuff on the PS store.

Cowie

I was going to recommend the Amazon Card, but at a glance the Canadian variant of it isn't as good(just 2% on Amazon and 1% everywhere else.) That said, be careful around rewards cards, especially ones targeted towards "gamers" -- the APR is usually a bitch and a half. As long as you pay everything off quickly it's fine, but if you need to make some sort of large/emergency purchase that you won't be able to pay off immediately, that's not the card you want to use.

biezel

I use an Amazon card for almost everything, and a Playstation card for PSN purchases. Lots of reward points, can't go wrong!

Magnus

Yeah, the Amazon one doesn't look so hot in Canada, as one of you noted. $20 instant amazon credit and then essentially 2000 points ($2000) = $20 cash back. So it's basically a 1% cash back card? I guess that's better than what I have now... (0.25 - 1% cash back, depending on how much you spend throughout the year).

Is the PS card available in Canada?

This. Last couple of retail games I've purchased from them have been free because of my accumulated points. Buy something big, pay it off ASAP and profit.

Question. Haven't ever had a credit card but can you pay it off immediately after making the purchase or do we have to wait for the monthly statement, or what now?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Yeah, the Amazon one doesn't look so hot in Canada, as one of you noted. $20 instant amazon credit and then essentially 2000 points ($2000) = $20 cash back. So it's basically a 1% cash back card? I guess that's better than what I have now... (0.25 - 1% cash back, depending on how much you spend throughout the year).

Is the PS card available in Canada?

I'm not sure. It's a Capital One card.

Redshirt

Banned
Question. Haven't ever had a credit card but can you pay it off immediately after making the purchase or do we have to wait for the monthly statement, or what now?

You can pay a credit card off as soon as the charge posts. You don't have to wait for the statement.

Top Bottom