• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really have a hard time imagining someone other then Black Beard being the final boss... then again Oda could pull a Naruto on us and have a fucking alien be the final boss
A show like Ancient Aliens would have a field day with something like the Void Century. lol.

Blackbeard has been hyped to be the anti-Luffy from the start, so I agree.

KillGore

I really have a hard time imagining someone other then Black Beard being the final boss... then again Oda could pull a Naruto on us and have a fucking alien be the final boss
Why not the Gorosei?

Gorosei_Anime_Infobox.png

Jigorath

Banned

I've always liked the idea of Dragon ending up as the big bad of the series. If he just ends up as another faction supporting the strawhats it's going to be a waste of the character.

smurfx

get some go again
I've always liked the idea of Dragon ending up as the big bad of the series. If he just ends up as another faction supporting the strawhats it's going to be a waste of the character.
dragon is going to get killed sooner or later. maybe by some secret group only known to the highest world government officials. we didn't know about cp0 until recently. sabo is going to be the one supporting luffy at the end of the series. sabo even said it himself that he would go anywhere to support luffy if he asked.

ugoo18

There is no story progression in which Luffy fighting Akainu before finding the One Piece makes sense. Keep in mind that Zoro has to fight Mihawk at some point in the manga, and the one time that really makes sense is in a huge war at Marejois.

Not necessarily

Zoro can surpass Mihawk indirectly if Shiliew became to one to beat Mihawk plus at some point Zoro will most likely cut diamond, considering that Jozu isn't an enemy of the crew the only way that would likely happen would be for BB to steal Jozu's DF and give it to Shiliew. Paving the way for either Shiliew to take down Mihawk and then allow Zoro to defeat Shiliew as well as cut diamond or Zoro to simply defeat Shiliew (Without Shiliew defeating Mihawk) and cut diamond in the process.

After all Zoro most definitely will face Shiliew at some point.

How would Dragon end up as the main enemy in the series though considering the bad blood between BB and Luffy as well as the bad blood between Luffy and Akainu.

smurfx

get some go again
you guys think luffy is going to kill blackbeard when they finally face off? i see luffy critically wounding him but he survives and later on helps luffy in the war with the world government. he will probably get killed then.

789shadow

Banned
you guys think luffy is going to kill blackbeard when they finally face off? i see luffy critically wounding him but he survives and later on helps luffy in the war with the world government. he will probably get killed then.
I do not see Luffy really killing him, no.

ugoo18

It will probably be like when he beat Lucci.

On the topic of Luffy vs BB, Luffy will probably become a monster of durability and stamina for that battle. Considering what BB has in his arsenal with the Yami Yami and Gura Gura in conjunction with his own durability Luffy is going to be taking some obscene damage especially with his DF resistance to blunt damage most likely gone.

Zoro will probably be even more freakish if he maintains his arguably superior stamina and durability compared to Luffy.

Jigorath

Banned
dragon is going to get killed sooner or later. maybe by some secret group only known to the highest world government officials. we didn't know about cp0 until recently. sabo is going to be the one supporting luffy at the end of the series. sabo even said it himself that he would go anywhere to support luffy if he asked.

That would be disappointing for such a hyped character.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
CP0 is the biggest megaton this arc has dropped besides Sabo reappearing, IMO. I really hope we see more of them soon.

smurfx

get some go again
That would be disappointing for such a hyped character.
he'll probably have an arc where he gets to go all out and we see his flashback but i don't think he is meant for more. his part is just gathering an army to oppose the world government when the time comes.

AAK

I never really understood this relationship:

81138e27.jpg

What the heck is Aokiji's deal? He first kills that Giant dude who was protecting Robin... and then he just lets Robin free.

Next time we see him, he's seconds away from killing Robin before Luffy jumps in and rescues her. And then Luffy somehow cajoles him to spare his crew.

And then he and Marines try to arrest her and lock her away permanently, and then in the scene above he just lets her go despite being perfectly capable of taking her captive then in there in the pic above.

What the hell is Aokiji's intention? He's always either trying to killer her/capture her or let her go. I never understood this relationship.

dabig2

he'll probably have an arc where he gets to go all out and we see his flashback but i don't think he is meant for more. his part is just gathering an army to oppose the world government when the time comes.

I disagree. I think his story is going to be a lot deeper than just gathering an army for his son to eventually take advantage of. He probably knows most if not all of the end game secrets of the lore. You don't have such an enigmatic and powerful character like dragon and waste him.

While luffy is busy with akainu and Blackbeard, I think dragon will be busy with the world government. Like WB said, end game is going to be a world war. No way Oda doesn't have Dragon there at the end going Will of D on those geriatric asses. Turning him into Ace 2.0 would kinda suck IMO.

smurfx

get some go again
I never really understood this relationship:

81138e27.jpg

What the heck is Aokiji's deal? He first kills that Giant dude who was protecting Robin... and then he just lets Robin free.

Next time we see him, he's seconds away from killing Robin before Luffy jumps in and rescues her. And then Luffy somehow cajoles him to spare his crew.

And then he and Marines try to arrest her and lock her away permanently, and then in the scene above he just lets her go despite being perfectly capable of taking her captive then in there in the pic above.

What the hell is Aokiji's intention? He's always either trying to killer her/capture her or let her go. I never understood this relationship.
he kills saul because that was his duty as a marine. he was willing to kill robin because of the way she was living. remember that she used to go around partnering with lowlifes and then betraying them when she didn't need them anymore. he thought she was going to do the same with luffy so he was going to kill her before she did it. he was doing this for luffy because he owed garp a favor. in the last scene aokiji saw that robin had truly changed and she was happy being part of luffy's crew so he let her go.

SolVanderlyn

Dragon is especially interesting because unlike basically everyone else in the series, he isn't an obstacle or even really an ally to Luffy. He's got his own thing going on that's completely separate from the pirate world. I wouldn't be surprised if we get to know him a little better, and then he and his army are the ones who take down Akainu. He apparently has a huge beef with the world government, while Luffy seems to be pretty indifferent towards them, so I feel like this would be a nice way for things to play out and leave the big name pirates to Luffy while still sorting out the whole corrupt government piece of the equation.

I was re-reading, and man, Sengoku is a pretty disgustingly evil person. It's kind of a bummer he retired and that he'll probably get away with what he did and never be defeated.

dabig2

Dragon is especially interesting because unlike basically everyone else in the series, he isn't an obstacle or even really an ally to Luffy. He's got his own thing going on that's completely separate from the pirate world. I wouldn't be surprised if we get to know him a little better, and then he and his army are the ones who take down Akainu. He apparently has a huge beef with the world government, while Luffy seems to be pretty indifferent towards them, so I feel like this would be a nice way for things to play out and leave the big name pirates to Luffy while still sorting out the whole corrupt government piece of the equation.

That's what I love about this series that sets it apart from a couple of those other ones in the shounen realm. The world and history of One Piece is overwhelmingly huge. Our main group of heroes are cogs in a massive wheel that will spin irrespective of their actions. Of course, the fun of the series is seeing how they disrupt that spin, but again, the seas are vast.

At endgame, I don't think it's going to be Luffy saving the entire world from the tyranny of the WG or anything like that. That's not his aim and never will be (a breath of fresh air I must say to have a protagonist like that). Save that shit for his daddy, Coby, Smoker, Kuzan, and the others.

Min0

I was re-reading, and man, Sengoku is a pretty disgustingly evil person. It's kind of a bummer he retired and that he'll probably get away with what he did and never be defeated.

Really? I haven't re-read in quite a while. What has he done of so disgusting?

Dragun619

Man, One Piece has been my shit for a long time. I consider it easily one of the better or even the best shonen manga out there. Happy to know that we've only reached half of the journey, so looking forward to another 10 years of One Piece.
But when it's over, then damn, that's gonna suck. I feel like it'll continue tho with a different writer and just Oda overseeing it, à la Dragon Ball GT, considering how popular One Piece has become.

Still waiting to see how Lucci/ CP9 & Enel return. And with the return of the cover story with Jimbei. I think he'll actully meet the Straw Hats at Dressrosa and annouce himself as the newest member of the Straw Hats.

not the manga but anyone have any recommendations on which one piece film to watch?

The latest two, Strong World & One Piece Film: Z are really good. SW written by Oda while for Z he oversaw it.

Jigorath

Banned
not the manga but anyone have any recommendations on which one piece film to watch?

Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island is my favorite. It's much darker than what'd you expect from One Piece, but that helps the movie stand on it's own. Film Z and SW are great but they're more standard One Piece adventures.

so I havent been following arlong park or anything, is there still wild speculation about a new member every time a new arc rolls around?

and if so who is it this time? Rebecca? Law is getting a past flashback and thats usually a sign, but hes too big to join.

with this arc it's incredibly hard to say

could end up with a damn straw hat fleet by the end of it

can't really tell where it's going. my hunch is that rebecca and jinbei join by the end of it, barto and his entire crew choose to sail with luffy, and usopp becomes captain of a second division of straw hat pirates made up of Colosseum participants

789shadow

Banned
with this arc it's incredibly hard to say

could end up with a damn straw hat fleet by the end of it

can't really tell where it's going. my hunch is that rebecca and jinbei join by the end of it, barto and his entire crew choose to sail with luffy, and usopp becomes captain of a second division of straw hat pirates made up of Colosseum participants
I really really REALLY don't see the Straw Hats sailing with a whole fleet until the finale of the whole series.

I really really REALLY don't see the Straw Hats sailing with a whole fleet until the finale of the whole series.

the series has changed up its tone and pacing quite a bit since the time jump and the strawhats got a long way to go before they can match Blackbeard and his ten captain fleet

I figure this arc is the beginning of that

LaneDS

Anyone hoping against Jimbei becoming a regular? I've never enjoyed him that much as a character and would welcome a more interesting addition to the crew, if they're intent on having another. Since it was made pretty clear he'll join at some point, I'm hopeful it's either much farther along or ends up being temporary. The series has enough characters to focus on presently and I think every additional crew member adds a bit of bloat to a given arc, since it's expected they'll all get a few moments.

SIRF

I think we won't see Luffy have a fleet that follows him but he will probably have a fleet when he goes up against big guns, like Kaido or World Government, similar to how Whitebeard's allies showed up to help him.

dani_dc

I think we won't see Luffy have a fleet that follows him but he will probably have a fleet when he goes up against big guns, like Kaido or World Government, similar to how Whitebeard's allies showed up to help him.

Yeah, I agree, I think we'll start seeing pirate crews that support the Straw hats and which will be under their name but not necessarily follow them around. Probably after the current arc.

I will admit I love it when OP brings back old rivals as new allies, more so than I've enjoyed it in other shonen that obeys that trope, but Enel is just too damn strong to be allied with Luffy. The best comeback kings have been b or c tier powers who are strong, but not elemental class strong (Buggy, Bonclay, Mr. 3).

Korosenai

Anyone hoping against Jimbei becoming a regular? I've never enjoyed him that much as a character and would welcome a more interesting addition to the crew, if they're intent on having another. Since it was made pretty clear he'll join at some point, I'm hopeful it's either much farther along or ends up being temporary. The series has enough characters to focus on presently and I think every additional crew member adds a bit of bloat to a given arc, since it's expected they'll all get a few moments.
They need someone like Jimbei, who can control water and swim in it very well. Having a fishman as a crewmate, especially a former warlord, is a very valuable asset.

Also, considering the face that Jimbei is having his own little cover story arc in the manga means we may see him sooner than later.

Astral

There's something I've always wondered. How much does Oda make up as he goes and how much was planned the entire time? When Shanks scared off that sea monster, was it really Haki or did Oda decide to make it Haki once he came up with it? Was Haki something he had in mind the entire time? Another example is the Sun Pirates (I think that's what they were called). Did Oda intend for Jinbe and Arlong to share that same brand the whole time or did he come up with it later on? I wanna believe it was all according to keikaku and that Oda is a genius.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
There's something I've always wondered. How much does Oda make up as he goes and how much was planned the entire time? When Shanks scared off that sea monster, was it really Haki or did Oda decide to make it Haki once he came up with it? Was Haki something he had in mind the entire time? Another example is the Sun Pirates (I think that's what they were called). Did Oda intend for Jinbe and Arlong to share that same brand the whole time or did he come up with it later on? I wanna believe it was all according to keikaku and that Oda is a genius.

Oda planned for One Piece to go for 5 years. It's likely the planned 5 year run would have only covered the major plot points.

It's likely things like Haki, Rayleigh in Buggy's flashback and the Sun Pirates emblem were planned back then and wouldn't be fully realized until years later.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Considering the first time we hear about Jinbei was in the Arlong arc I wouldn't be surprised if that was planned out. The haki thing could go either way, he definitely knew he was using it by Skypia though.

A good writer is going to leave little open ended things like that sprinkled throughout his or her story. He doesn't have everything planned but he leaves himself openings to fill in when needed. If everything was planned out ahead of time we'd see things like Brook during Laboon's flash back at the port or Bartolomeo at Logue Town. First time the Warlords are mentioned the silhouettes are all off from their final forms to. Think they all had swords. Now that could be just someone's thought of what a Warlord could be but still.

KtSlime

Haki, it probably involved into haki over time, and became much bigger, there were quite a few changes that went into the creation Romancing Dawn, yet it was still very recognisably One Piece.

Gyojin kaizokudan. It's clear that Jinbei and Arlong have been tightly bound together since they were first mentioned in the series. They were always intended to be of the same pirate group, and likely were always intended to have been at one point enslaved by humans (the creation of Tenryuubito were probably a much later even though).

BIGWORM

As a guy who hasn't touched the anime (never read the manga) since the CP9 saga, Usopp's looking like a badass.

Verelios

Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island is my favorite. It's much darker than what'd you expect from One Piece, but that helps the movie stand on it's own. Film Z and SW are great but they're more standard One Piece adventures.

This is my favorite movie too, although I'm partial to the retelling of Drum Island. Has an interesting aesthetic and really goes to lengths showing Luffy's character flaws and strengths. Animation was also amazing although that may have been because of the contrast between light and dark going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom