• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOTOKYO° |OT|

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Great game, shame it never caught on really.

But the soundtrack man, the soundtrack... I still haven't found anything close to that goodness mhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

akaoni

Banned
There's a custom gun soundpack made by the community released a while before this came out to make things sound better;

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vasr80btt9ahp85/Gunsound+rework.rar

Extract and move the 'weapon' folder from the extract contents to;
e.g. "E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\NEOTOKYO\NeotokyoSource\sound"
(Yours might be on C:\ drive so it would be "C:\Program files(x86)\Steam\SteamApps" first etc.)

When it asks to overwrite, click YES.

New sounds preview; https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=9KdXLlTLLUY

Nice OT akoni!
Also, last screenshot of pond is mine.. yay!

Played some matches, but man this game is unforgiving. No respawn also puts a damper on the enjoyment.
I enabled console but with my german keyboard nothing opens it in-game. I want to listen to the OST with !radio command.

akaoni

Banned
Nice OT akoni!
Also, last screenshot of pond is mine.. yay!

Played some matches, but man this game is unforgiving. No respawn also puts a damper on the enjoyment.
I enabled console but with my german keyboard nothing opens it in-game. I want to listen to the OST with !radio command.

You only need enter !radio into the actual server chat, so for me I press Y and type !radio, everyone can see I typed it then the music begins playing. As for console key mine is the key left to the number 1, which is `, not to be confused with '.

You can change console key through the config file;

E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\NEOTOKYO\NeotokyoSource\cfg\config.cfg (your bolded will likely differ.)

Search for toggleconsole, e.g.;
bind "`" "toggleconsole"

akaoni

Banned
High Quality config guide;
source = http://pastebin.com/n8CZwG1p

1. Right click NEOTOKYO in Steam Library and click properties
2. Click launch options and enter the following values;
-dxlevel 98 -noforcemaccel -nojoy

Note - The second two are just convenience for disabling mouse acceleration etc.

CnZIaJf.png

3. Download the config file;
https://mega.co.nz/#!xtlHFQbb!xpTQXuwtNzH0EyVFl6lqsPiL0-MzUTPz2Dk8YufJK3w
The config file also contains a script for lean toggling which I think ends up being useful

For no lean toggle download this one instead;
https://mega.co.nz/#!0gMXkShY!tAIYTLlU4XXJDRlCuooviNuCXeYr8l_dCkivT2AHUq8

4. Move the config file to the cfg folder;
E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\NEOTOKYO\NeotokyoSource\cfg\
Your install location may differ at the beginning.

5. Run the game once.
6. Exit the game and remove from launch options;
-dxlevel 98
7. Run and play the game as normal.

Some random screenshots I took with the config (jpeg :();

Harpuea

I'm a real big fan of this. Does the game still have a population? 2 years ago I last played, barely anyone online during a Friday night PST.

Zack117

Banned
Great OP!

I'm a huge Ghost in the Shell fan and general fan of the cyberpunk setting. According to the screenshots it's heavily inspirated by the Anime. And it's free!
*System Requirements; Toaster
I hope it'll run on my IGP. My CPU is quite powerful though.

Loading it right now.

Even the OST is free, and in FLAC! I live lossless!

Kade

From the golden age (if you can call it that) of Source mods. Neotokyo, Insurgency, Project Valkyrie, SourceForts, Empires, Dystopia, etc. I wish Source mods took off the way Quake, UT and GoldSRC ones did. We could have had another Counter-Strike situation.

vazel

Banned
This finally made it on Steam. Time to put some time into it before the online inevitably dies again.

RP912

Banned
This finally made it on Steam. Time to put some time into it before the online inevitably dies again.

I seriously doubt the online will die. Especially with the magic of steam. I see this mod taking off down the road.

akaoni

Banned
I don't suppose there's MP3 downloads for the OST?

I'll convert them for you. I assume it's legal since they're distributed for free anyway. I don't want to take traffic away from his stuff so If anyone else wants the link just ask.

Check yo pm's.

You only need enter !radio into the actual server chat, so for me I press Y and type !radio, everyone can see I typed it then the music begins playing. As for console key mine is the key left to the number 1, which is `, not to be confused with '.

You can change console key through the config file;

E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\NEOTOKYO\NeotokyoSource\cfg\config.cfg (your bolded will likely differ.)

Search for toggleconsole, e.g.;
bind "`" "toggleconsole"
Doh, should have thought about that.
Wow, the OST is mighty fine. Why ain't it playing on default?
Game is simply beautiful, gorgeous artstyle, brilliant details.
Died many times from taking too many screenshots, haha.
Getting used to the gameplay slowly, already killed 3+ in a row in my last match.
I... so If anyone else wants the link just ask.
I'd like the OST in MP3!

Soma

Been playing a couple rounds on and off. I am so bad!

But it's been fun and a nice change of pace.

I forgot how much fun this was. Hopefully the community keeps growing now that it's free and it's able to get a new lease on life.

cj_iwakura

If someone can mod Dark Souls, making it so this game has a playable OST can't be that hard. Maybe it was a rights conflict? Or the creators are idiots, either/or.

akaoni

Banned
Game is simply beautiful, gorgeous artstyle, brilliant details.
Died many times from taking too many screenshots, haha.
Getting used to the gameplay slowly, already killed 3+ in a row in my last match.

I'd like the OST in MP3!

As I said in the OP I don't know what happened concerning the OST. I just realised there's an actual soundtrack folder in the game files, can't say for sure whether they were placed there through the !radio function though. There's 15 tracks out of the total 27 in that folder in an mp3 format. It's hard to say really because it could've been a falling out or something like what maybe happened with the development or the soundtrack might be at odds with how the game is supposed to be played, such as hearing footsteps. When you think about it only arena shooters tend to have gameplay OST's in multiplayer. Of course you could say why didn't they just provide the option.

akaoni

Banned
The game could have a much better future but what you see now is what you will have as it has been for the past 5 years. The main programmer of the game is the person with the source code and they don't want anything to do with it anymore and won't release the code which means bugs that are well known can't be fixed. The current release of the game was given the approval but most of the lifting is done by 1 member of the original team who is in fact a graphics artist if what I read is true. If there's to be more NEOTOKYO beyond this it needs to be remade completely from the ground up without knowing the code behind the existing one. So that's in part why the game has been in limbo concerning the Steam release, it was greenlit in 2012. This is what I've gathered on the Community hub.

Skab

One of the best multiplayer shooters around. I would pay for a full blown sequel.

I was just thinking the other day how I wish this was one of those mods who crew got picked up by Valve, so they could do a full blown Source 2 version complete with a campaign of some sort.

I would be rock hard.

akaoni

Banned
I don't think Valve would take the game on because the result might be another Day of Defeat Source. Each of Valve's successful products are distinct in my opinion and to handle NEOTOKYO would in simple terms bear too much resemblance to Counter-Strike. They would just be cannabilising from their own player base.

Started playing over the weekend and have been having a blast, like so many others I had only knew of the game by its soundtrack beforehand. I absolutely love the gameplay, it's slow position based gameplay feels so fresh and reminds me of Rainbow Six games of the past, and holy god is a headshot satisfying in this game, it feels like you've properly earned it.

About the only thing bad I can say about it is that the amazing soundtrack isn't actually featured at all nearly, only hearing brief snips of it at the end of rounds. Since I have been listening to the OST for years I assumed those wicked tunes actually played during gameplay.

I hope this generates interest for a sequel, I'd LOVE to see this game updated to the new Source engine. Anyone know what the devs are up to these days?

Soma

Does this game crash often for you guys? Seems like it does for me whenever maps switch.

Maybe it's something in my settings or because I'm running it in windowed mode.

akaoni

Banned
Started playing over the weekend and have been having a blast, like so many others I had only knew of the game by its soundtrack beforehand. I absolutely love the gameplay, it's slow position based gameplay feels so fresh and reminds me of Rainbow Six games of the past, and holy god is a headshot satisfying in this game, it feels like you've properly earned it.

About the only thing bad I can say about it is that the amazing soundtrack isn't actually featured at all nearly, only hearing brief snips of it at the end of rounds. Since I have been listening to the OST for years I assumed those wicked tunes actually played during gameplay.

I hope this generates interest for a sequel, I'd LOVE to see this game updated to the new Source engine. Anyone know what the devs are up to these days?

Some of the people behind it were working on Contagion I believe, a game that was kickstarted a while back;
http://store.steampowered.com/app/238430/

Otherwise NEOTOKYO itself is in an eternal limbo which I talked about here;
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=119978281&postcount=75

Sourced from here;
http://steamcommunity.com/app/244630/discussions/0/46476145524538355/

Does this game crash often for you guys? Seems like it does for me whenever maps switch.

Maybe it's something in my settings or because I'm running it in windowed mode.

Dug it up from reading it before. Something to do with how the game caches or dumps data.

Producer-san @TGR-FUEL 6 Jul @ 3:12am
Setting the textures on Medium has fixed it for me, consider trying that.

I'll try finding something else if that doesn't solve it.

Soma

ok yeah going back to fullscreen fixed my problem

game is fun. still sucking but i feel like i'm getting the hang of it the more i play.

Skab

Some of the people behind it were working on Contagion I believe, a game that was kickstarted a while back;
http://store.steampowered.com/app/238430/

Otherwise NEOTOKYO itself is in an eternal limbo which I talked about here;
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=119978281&postcount=75

Sourced from here;
http://steamcommunity.com/app/244630/discussions/0/46476145524538355/

The coder not releasing the source code and just bailing on the community like that is heartbreaking.

Max

I am not Max
What I enjoy most about this game is that whether you're playing in a full server of 24/32 people or a server with less than 10, the way people act and play according to how large a team is completely different. In accordance with the class system, levelling system, and map layouts coinciding with one objective; capturing the ghost, teams are forced to adapt to these variables.

Whether you're rushing with the sniper rifle as the recon on Vtol, or tanking through smoke grenades on Bullet as support, covering someone carrying the ghost as assault only to be flanked from a recon's drop spot, there are endless ways a shootout can play out. I can only really compare this with my experience with DOTA 2, where each 10 different heroes are chosen, each with their own skillset, there are billions of combinations of scenarios that can happen because of this. With just the 3 classes in NT, as well as the distinctive weapons that can do better or worse in certain situations, I've finally realized that's the reason why I think so highly of this beautifully realized game I've known for so long, Neobears.

Zack117

Banned
I'm still listening to that amazing lossless OST. Is there any chance that Ed Harrison will create the OST for Cyberpunk 2077? He seems like the perfect choice for this job.

Top Bottom