• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen dated - Oct. 28 (NA) Oct 31 (EU)

Thanks for the great impressions, mekes. This game hits the day before my birthday so unlike usual I'll probably get it at launch for full price. Your impressions are making me a lot more comfortable with that decision! I'm a huge Souls fan biding my time until Bloodborne so I've been keeping a close eye on this one.

sli82x87.png

:D
This was added a week before release. Nice one Nvidia!

mekes

Let us know what the update contains!

Tearing still remains in some larger more open areas I have access to, but seems to be all gone in medium and smaller sized areas. Its a noticeable improvement. Hopefully the last little bit to come with another update. Definitely a very worthwhile improvement :)

Will say again, the game seems to be choosy as to where the tearing occurs, but there is a significant improvement to the pre-patch problem.

@TheDarkestRed, it seems like a safe purchase. So far the main difference beyond the art style is the open way in which the story is told and optional chat interfaces.

Kureizu

Tearing still remains in some larger more open areas I have access to, but seems to be all gone in medium and smaller sized areas. Its a noticeable improvement. Hopefully the last little bit to come with another update. Definitely a very worthwhile improvement :)

Will say again, the game seems to be choosy as to where the tearing occurs, but there is a significant improvement to the pre-patch problem.

@TheDarkestRed, it seems like a safe purchase. So far the main difference beyond the art style is the open way in which the story is told and optional chat interfaces.

Does the framerate feel solid 30?

Drewfonse

Can't wait for this. I'll have the One's version later in the week. I'm really looking forward to getting more impressions from the lucky ones. I guess that this is the thread for that?

mekes

Does the framerate feel solid 30?

It feels solid, I haven't picked up on any drops so far. Its definitely not gone to early 20's, it may not have dropped at all, I find it hard to judge unless a sizable amount of frames have been dropped. I'd say all good so far, I feel I've had good control of the character at all times, combat has felt just perfect in every situation.

No Blight town situations yet! haha

v0mitg0d

Plundering through my review copy as we speak. Not allowed to give any impressions that are detailed but can say I dig the environmental effects something fierce.

Did they send code or a disk?

They sent us code and it's still not available to download just yet. :/

Kureizu

It feels solid, I haven't picked up on any drops so far. Its definitely not gone to early 20's, it may not have dropped at all, I find it hard to judge unless a sizable amount of frames have been dropped. I'd say all good so far, I feel I've had good control of the character at all times, combat has felt just perfect in every situation.

No Blight town situations yet! haha

Sounds good. Thank you.

ironcreed

Banned
Received my copy this morning, thought I would share a few spoiler free impressions. I love the Souls games, and this game is somewhat (to very) similar, so I am judging in comparison, since you can sense the appreciation of those games from the creators of LOTF..

Gameplay is nice. Its a little faster than Souls, smoother perhaps (than the PS3 versions for sure). So far I'm only using weapons, no magic, but the dodge mechanic works well and you have to make use of correct timing otherwise you will take some big hits. I'd kind of say it sits somewhere in between Souls and Bloodborne. It feels a touch more accessible, but only a small amount. You obviously have a shield in this game but skillful players wont always need it, but you will need your dodge in that case. Its good here, it immediately feels comparable on some levels to a From game. Its good, if you like Souls, you'll like this. Something that I really like, because this might help those not so fond of the Souls games, is that the evasion and fighting mechanics are explained to the player in a tutorial section at the beginning of the game in the midst of a fight. This is good as it will put everybody on an equal footing right at the start. Also, just want to say, world destruction is better than Souls and the Bloodborne demo. I'm just saying! I like to smash things up.

Presentation is good. I wasn't a fan of the art style when watching videos, but I've instantly taken a liking to it while playing. For some reason Mordor/Diablo/Souls seems to stick as an overall feel to what I am seeing on the screen. Its not a bad thing for me, I like it now that I am playing it. While playing it feels more like Souls, its the cut scenes that give me the Mordor/Diablo feel. The menu system is great, reminds me of Diablo on PS4, never tried the PC version so I don't know if it is different there. There is a Lore section thrown in, nice touch but I don't have much in there for now - definitely something to keep an eye on. The graphics are good, easy to see its a next gen only game, they've done a good job here, mist effects, seems to have AF (ha). It looks and feels fluid in motion. I know a big thing that people noticed from videos was screen tearing and it is here, but not as evident as shown in the videos we have seen. I'd say half as evident. I don't think its bad enough to serve as a serious distraction to the game, as the gameplay itself is really fun so far. I have no patch applied as there is none yet, but hopefully one will come for this issue. Something worth noting, but, I seem to notice it a little more in cramped areas rather than open ones. I feel the need to repeat, its not as bad as the videos, it was made to seem worse by the captures in my opinion. What I am seeing will not ruin the game.

Overall thoughts. I will play this to completion, something I rarely do these days. I can tell already that this game will be fun throughout. I see it as a homage to the Souls games. Gameplay wise, some will actually prefer this. You can tell the game has been lovingly created, something I don't always notice or pay attention to in the games, but the way the devs have spoken of the game and the audience they hope to build for it, they have presented a game that is worthy of your time. Its really fun because it plays well, is a challenge, has nice gameplay mechanics and sounds fantastic. I really recommend it based on the short time I've spent on it so far.

For those on the fence, please take this as a recommendation to buy the game. If you are a Souls fan like me, its a game that you can feel grateful for and a game worth supporting. I'm saying its not a game you want to let drop in price before you purchase, its worthy of your full retail monies :)

If anybody has any questions about the game please feel free. I wasn't expecting to receive it today, it was a nice surprise. I'm sure plenty of others will have the game from today onwards, I hope people have bought it. If not, I'd like to think that people will support this game as it has plenty going for it and a real solid addition to my collection. I think it may turn out to be my favorite PS4 game so far.

Very nice. Thanks for the impressions.

PS4 codes are not active till 26th. Xbox One is up now. Got to play for a hour or two last night. Can stream and upload to a certain point tommorrow the 26th.

v0mitg0d

PS4 codes are not active till 26th. Xbox One is up now. Got to play for a hour or two last night. Can stream and upload to a certain point tommorrow the 26th.

Oh excellent!

Last I talked to PR (Friday) they were unsure of when PS4 codes would go live. You've been in touch with them, or dev?

BumRush

Mekes, thank you! Great impressions...I'll day one this.

Have you tried more than one class yet? How does magic feel if you've used it by now?

Received my copy this morning, thought I would share a few spoiler free impressions. I love the Souls games, and this game is somewhat (to very) similar, so I am judging in comparison, since you can sense the appreciation of those games from the creators of LOTF..

Gameplay is nice. Its a little faster than Souls, smoother perhaps (than the PS3 versions for sure). So far I'm only using weapons, no magic, but the dodge mechanic works well and you have to make use of correct timing otherwise you will take some big hits. I'd kind of say it sits somewhere in between Souls and Bloodborne. It feels a touch more accessible, but only a small amount. You obviously have a shield in this game but skillful players wont always need it, but you will need your dodge in that case. Its good here, it immediately feels comparable on some levels to a From game. Its good, if you like Souls, you'll like this. . . .

If anybody has any questions about the game please feel free. I wasn't expecting to receive it today, it was a nice surprise. I'm sure plenty of others will have the game from today onwards, I hope people have bought it. If not, I'd like to think that people will support this game as it has plenty going for it and a real solid addition to my collection. I think it may turn out to be my favorite PS4 game so far.

Yay! So glad it's not a dud. Can't wait for 1080p Souls-clone. . . .

mekes

Mekes, thank you! Great impressions...I'll day one this.

Have you tried more than one class yet? How does magic feel if you've used it by now?

I've gone with the warrior class, not tried another as yet. Not tried magic either, I don't think its available to me yet, despite me having a dedicated bar for magic. The game is doing a great job on explaining how things work so far, to a point where I think it should be something that the Souls games should offer, because its not really ruined or gotten in the way of the experience and its just an extra sentence or 2 here or there. But it hasn't touched on magic yet, so I'm assuming I'm not supposed to have access to it as yet.

Update on the screen tearing, again. I've just completed an...event. And chosen to go back across old ground afterwards as I'm just soaking the game in, I've gone where I noticed the most screen tears. Its gone. I've double and triple checked whilst writing this post. In fact I haven't seen a single tear in over 45 minutes play. I assume it must have been a glitch of some sort immediately post patch. Very pleased about this, the game now looks fantastic throughout.

Absolutely bolded the above for emphasis as I wouldn't want to put anybody off of a purchase. Still loving the game, great job CI & Deck13 - its a real game here. Hope it reviews well :)

Drewfonse

I've gone with the warrior class, not tried another as yet. Not tried magic either, I don't think its available to me yet, despite me having a dedicated bar for magic. The game is doing a great job on explaining how things work so far, to a point where I think it should be something that the Souls games should offer, because its not really ruined or gotten in the way of the experience and its just an extra sentence or 2 here or there. But it hasn't touched on magic yet, so I'm assuming I'm not supposed to have access to it as yet.

Update on the screen tearing, again. I've just completed an...event. And chosen to go back across old ground afterwards as I'm just soaking the game in, I've gone where I noticed the most screen tears. Its gone. I've double and triple checked whilst writing this post. In fact I haven't seen a single tear in over 45 minutes play. I assume it must have been a glitch of some sort immediately post patch. Very pleased about this, the game now looks fantastic throughout.

Absolutely bolded the above for emphasis as I wouldn't want to put anybody off of a purchase. Still loving the game, great job CI & Deck13 - its a real game here. Hope it reviews well :)

Great impressions! See ya later, screen tearing!! Are you playing on console or PC?

It was a day one for me anyway, but I really hope that positive word of mouth will help with sales.

Can't freaking wait. And if the main concern that a lot of people have with the game is the art style, then I should be in good shape because I like the style.

63393_585271528262252_3412575670035729746_n.jpg

Game came out unexpectedly early today in Hong Kong, each copy comes separately with a free soundtrack CD (first come first served basis while stock lasts). Grabbed my copy today. 5.1GB install, then a 4717MB update, downloading now. Will post some impressions later even though lots of streamers who are much more qualified than me have already done so......

DeaviL

Banned
I keep seeing this game, and it looks pretty good but when i see who's developing it...
It doesn't breed a lot of confidence. I hope i'm wrong though.

martino

I keep seeing this game, and it looks pretty good but when i see who's developing it...
It doesn't breed a lot of confidence. I hope i'm wrong though.

Before souls from was not a studio wa can call of confidence (and it is why i think best souls clone will come from a famous good studio one day)

Manu

Grabbed my copy today. 5.1GB install, then a 4717MB update, downloading now. Will post some impressions later even though lots of streamers who are much more qualified than me have already done so......

Ugh, is this gonna be a normal thing now?

Buy a game, have crappy internet, get to actually play it the next day.

DeaviL

Banned
Before souls from was not a studio wa can call of confidence (and it is why i think best souls clone will come from a famous good studio one day)

Comparing the games From used to make to those CI and Deck 16 made makes my
confidence sink lower tbh. and believe me, i want this to be good.

Has there been any mention of different areas to explore in the game? I always see videos of the snowy fortress. I assume that's just the beginning of the game though.

Jaxx

Banned
Is screen tearing the result of the game compensating for where there might otherwise be frame drops? If so, I'll take tearing over that. Regardless, thanks for the impressions. I need to spend 50 dollars to get the 15 dollars in credit from Sony's promotion. I'm going back and forth between this and Dragon Age, which I probably wont play much since it comes out on the same day as GTA.

Ricker

You know what scares me a bit...the fact that the game is not even 10 gigs on the PS4 ?...kinda low considering its a full fledged current gen title,which makes me think the game is really short...we shall find out next week I guess.

Karak

You know what scares me a bit...the fact that the game is not even 10 gigs on the PS4 ?...kinda low considering its a full fledged current gen title,which makes me think the game is really short...we shall find out next week I guess.

how many hours would you consider short?

Maffis

might be because of in-game graphics on cutscenes and compressed audio.

Vaati put up an impressions video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD3l-3iipy8

Pretty positive, mentions that the gameplay has some cool new ideas which build upon Souls mechanics. His only gripe seemed to be with the games art style.

Yep, loved Vaati's impressions as they just seemed overall positive an open-minded

Definitely (and finally) sold me on the game :)

Is it kinda bad that I'd rather just start this than finish my 30+ hour Dark Souls2 character?

:/

DrBo42

Came in here to try and get impressions to make a buying/pre-order decision and realized OTs being restricted to day of launch ultimately turn threads like this into OTs. Kinda silly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
63393_585271528262252_3412575670035729746_n.jpg

Game came out unexpectedly early today in Hong Kong, each copy comes separately with a free soundtrack CD (first come first served basis while stock lasts). Grabbed my copy today. 5.1GB install, then a 4717MB update, downloading now. Will post some impressions later even though lots of streamers who are much more qualified than me have already done so......

Repulsive. Not buying this game because of that.

Top Bottom