• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue fans – which of the two installments in the series is the better game?

Despite being a fan ever since the saga began, I’m oblivious to what the actual consensus is surrounding the two Shenmue games when they’re pitted against each other. I personally recognise them both as masterpieces that have their own pros and cons, but overall one of them has to emerge as the better title. So I want to know, which game do you prefer and why? I’ll probably tally up the votes later down the line.

Oh and uhh, spoilers I guess.

My own thoughts…

Shenmue
Shenmue_zpscf5f51ea.jpg

+ I love the insane amount of detail inherent in the game. Shenmue is admittedly small and contained in terms of its environments, but the fact that you can explore your surroundings in such intimate ways, by rummaging through cupboards in the Hazuki residence, entering a myriad of different shops, restaurants and bars, and picking up individual items from shelves, lends it all a huge degree of immersion. The sequel doesn’t have nearly this same attention to detail.

+ Every NPC has their own different appearance and personality. I like the fact that Ryo personally knows half the people wandering around Dobuita.

+ Provides that rare opportunity in a game to stop random people in the street and ask them where sailors hang out.

+ The part where you investigate the secret room under the Hazuki dojo and disover the second Mirror probably stands out as the true highlight moment for me across both games. Shenmue at its most compelling and magic.

+ Japan > Hong Kong. Shenmue’s depiction of life in Sakuragoaka, Dobuita and the harbour feels more genuine and atmospheric than anything encountered in II.

+ This kitten -
hqdefault.jpg

+ Amazing soundtrack.

+/- Some comically bad Western voice acting that veers between endearing (Harbour Goro) and outright cringe-inducing (Tom).

- Forklift racing. It quickly gets tiresome, and the collision detection is dreadful.

- Waiting. There’s lots of waiting in Shenmue for the in-game clock to reach its destination so that you can continue. There are only so many times you can pass the time in the arcade.

- Surprisingly few combat scenarios. There are, at a guess, only a dozen or so fights in the entire game, which is pretty unfulfilling for a game with such a great combat system.

Shenmue II
ShenmueII_zpsadf56c13.jpg

+ Far more expansive and open than the first game. It’s almost overwhelming initially how much there is to explore and wander around in when Shenmue II begins. It serves as a complete contrast to the first game and it’s awesome, for the most part.

+ Lots more opportunities to flex Ryo’s combat muscles.

+ Just when you think the game ends, you’re told to switch to disc 4. Cue Guilin.

+ A wealth of secret, hard-to-find content is contained in those four discs. I had no idea there was duck racing until years after I first played the game.

+ Leaf catching.

+ The anti-QTE in the barber shop. A brilliant subversion of an often criticised gameplay mechanic.

+ This character -
vOFxNiO.jpg

+ The ability to skip time forward.

+ Amazing soundtrack.

+/- The original Japanese audio is included this time. Unfortunately, according to Suzuki himself, it’s a poor dub. I can kind of hear the wooden delivery in the lead’s performance, but not understanding the language definitely has its perks.

- Video gamey moments that grind the narrative to a juddering halt. “You need to raise this much money before you can meet Ren.” “You need to fight these three revered street combatants before you can meet this talent scout so that you can enter this Yellowhead building.” Ho and hum.

- Carrying books out of the library so that they can be aired is not fun. Just because it’s not meant to be fun for Ryo doesn’t mean the player has to suffer in the process.

- Plenty of unforgiving QTEs. The first game was a lot more relaxed when it came to this sort of thing, but II is eager to punish for failing prompts. Crossing those planks to reach Yuanda Zhu anyone?

- A rubbish cartoon villain in Don Nui. He’s far too animated and hammy to effectively be a menacing presence.

The verdict – Shenmue edges it. Maybe because it has the advantage of being my introduction to the world of Shenmue and thus making more of an impression, the first game serves as the more memorable entry for me.

XNarte

Not sure which I'd place higher, but I wish that Shemue 2 had the level of interior detail that the first one had. Still mindblowing, and I wish more games would let me creepily explore every cabinet, drawer, and closet and pick up and look at everything up close.

N.A

Banned
II for me. The Yellowhead Building climb, the rooftop fight and then the whole of the trip through Guilin are the best few hours I have spent in any game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Honestly can't pick one over the other. I always see Shenmue 1 and 2 as one game. both are legendary great and complete each other like two testicles in one trunks.

Trago

I'd say 2 has the edge. It had the better cast of characters in my opinion, and that cliffhanger, while painful since we're waiting for a sequel, took things to a whole new level.

Maligna

Banned
Two is better mechanics wise. But I like the Japanese setting of the first one waaaaay better than the Chinese setting of the second. So #1 will always be my favorite.

Honesty can't pick one over the other. I always see Shenmue 1 and 2 as one game. both are legendary great and complete each other like two testicles in one trunks.

This for me. Absolutely no reason to separate and choose between them. Whilst 2 lost some of the interactions with the world, it's by and large the same gameplay and definitely felt linked. If it were too feature drastic changes, such as the Mass Effect series, then I'd say there'd be a reason to choose your favourite.

Impossible to decide but both make me feel a different way when playing. Shenmue has that more familiar, intimate environment due to it being "home". Shenmue II kind of evokes those feelings of actually moving away from home with more to explore. So dependant on what I want, I usually go and play that game.

I think I prefer the sequel, but I haven't played either in more than a decade. I think 2 just had more amazing moments, like fighting your way up that tower.

Xenon

The ending of II makes it not even a contest, SM2 by a mile. Btw, Im not talking about the cliff hanger, rather the part leading up to it. It was such an unexpected thing
that hour long walk.
In thoery I should have hated it, but it's in my top ten gaming experiences ever. I think that's why I'll never replay it. There is no way it's going to hold up to that memory.

Nicktendo86

The first game is the shenmue I fell in love with. The sequel lost something when we left the small, intimate area of shemue and the level of interior detail. Still loved 2 though.

I don't think one can argue that Shenmue II is the technologically superior game, but I feel Shenmue I's town was a more intimate experience and the plot was more well rounded.

Mr Swine

Banned
Shenmue 1, I think that everything was superior to he second game (not graphically) but it has been so many years since I played both

theWB27

As many have said...they were pretty much the same games. It took me a little longer to jump into Shenmue 2 though. I had it around me for about a month or so before I actually sat and played. Idk why that happened either. Loved the ending to 2. We was getting magics

I love Shenmue 2 a lot more mostly because of the last disc and Shenhua. There's a lot of deep philosophy building up in 2 that hopefully will one day lead to Ryo reaching enlightenment.

bryanee

They're both fantastic but I do prefer the story and setting of the first game. I loved the smaller community and all the people that you'd recognise walking about and you would know where they worked etc

Shenmue 2 has two instances that I hate with a passion and that's having to earn a set amount of money on two different occasions so that you could progress the story. If I could earn money driving a forklift in that game I might of enjoyed that process more.

Tain

I'd say 2. I definitely respect that the original has a more detailed world, but the variety ultimately puts 2 on top.

They are very close, though.

Bio-Frost

Both are amazing but I find myself having more fun when playing Shenmue 2. It has more things to go do. Still has the arcade but then you have all the fighting games to make money, Lucky hit, duck races.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Maybe because I imported the Eurpoean DC version and it felt extra special, but Shenmue II was of my favorite gaming experiences ever.

Not to say the first wasn't fantastic as well, but the sequel just expanded on everything that made the original great.

Certinty

From what I remember, 2 had more to do, so I'll go with that one. Still at the end of the day 2 amazing games though.

UrbanRats

1 has more polish and finer details.
2 has a faster pacing and more adventurous storyline.

I love both,and they kind of feel like part 1 & 2, but i think if i had to choose, 1 plays more to what are Shenmue's peculiarities and strengths.

Mikhal

II for me. The Yellowhead Building climb, the rooftop fight and then the whole of the trip through Guilin are the best few hours I have spent in any game.

This post sums it up for me. I stayed up till like 6am to finish that part up!

Krejlooc

Banned
The sequel. Better pacing and story. The first had a better built world, but I felt china and especially kowloon were more interesting.

I far preferred the first game. I liked the setting and the seasonal thing. 2 just left me flat, I've never even finished that one.

It blows my mind that someone would happily play through all of the first game, but be turned off enough by the second to not see it all the way through. That's a shame man, maybe you should give it another go some day.

danwarb

1. It's a more consistent and densely packed world. The skybox and water look a lot better too.

I love 2, but it's spread a little thinner.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Shenmue felt super amazing. I've played it many times whereas I've only played Shenmue 2 the one time. 2 has to be a better game but the experience of knowing the small playable area like the back of your hand in Shenmue 1...

I can't. The tears.

HereticJ

It's very hard to choose one but if I could it would be Shenmue 1 in the same way I might prefer one town over another.

Somehow Shenmue 1 really made the player feel like he was Ryo Hazuki living in this small Japanese town. You get to know citizens who have nothing to do with the story necessarily but add so much to the atmosphere overall.

Truly a rare experience to be had, let alone a video game experience.

Coxy

Both very different and equally fantastic experiences, Shenmue 2 has an amazing sense of adventure, Shenmue 1 has an amazing feeling of "home"

It's very hard to choose one but if I could it would be Shenmue 1 in the same way I might prefer one town over another.

Somehow Shenmue 1 really made the player feel like he was Ryo Hazuki living in this small Japanese town. You get to know citizens who have nothing to do with the story necessarily but add so much to the atmosphere overall.

Truly a rare experience to be had, let alone a video game experience.

Nailed it. The second game was a lot more conventional in that you're a fish out of water embarking on a great adventure through foreign territory, whereas the first one was that little bit more special and different, as you lead your own investigation in very familiar surroundings. I think, when all is said and done, that's why I prefer it more to the sequel.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I had a lot more fun with Shenmue II as it was a bit more fast-paced than the first game. However, I haven't played any of them in a very long time so I should probably revisit them both before I can make a proper judgement. Been meaning to get the Japanese version of both as I don't much care for the English voice-overs (originally played Shenmue in English and II in Japanese).

Both were great, but Shenmue 2 imo is the better game. More variety, more action, more polish, better pacing, slightly better graphics, etc.

2 is the better game. 1 only has that magical coming out of age feeling. 2 had ryu as an adult.

Poor nozomi, never stood a chance.

I'm not a fan, but I remember really liking Shenmue I, but I could never bother to finish Shenmue II, the beggining is just too boring, I don't remember exactly, but I remember being lost in the city and I had to take some super tedious and boring job to gain money in order to progress and I just gave up to play more intersting games.

In retrospect it's a good thing though, there is supposed to be a massive cliffhanger at the end of Shenmue II, and considering we'll never see Shenmue III, it's alright to me.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
but I remember being lost in the city and I had to take some super tedious and boring job to gain money in order to progress and I just gave up to play more intersting games.

I just gambled for money. You could usually save right in front of the gambling "stall" and reload if you lost. Eventually I hit the jackpot and had money for the rest of the game. Not sure if it was available that early in the game though so maybe I had to arm wrestle or something before I discovered the "trick".

I don't see them as separate games because you can carry over your save file & stats for the "sequel". They're exactly the same "game". Shenmue 2 may had unique features that hindered the first game but I always see it as direct continuation. Had they used DVD on the DC, these will be in 2 separate discs instead of 7 DC discs. Dobuita to Hong Kong transition is nay different from Hong Kong to Guilin. Guilin, could've easily been a
Shenmue 3 prelude because of how different the theme and tone were from the past areas.

Yoda

I enjoyed 2 more than one, but I still loved both games. I wouldn't ever recommend skipping one at all though, but two simply had more content and a more interesting cast of characters.

Top Bottom