• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once-hyped games that are now completely forgotten

BRINK_%28game_box_art%29.jpg

How can this game be considered completely forgotten when it's always one of the first responses to any "biggest disappointment" thread.

Anyone remember State of Emergency? It was supposed to be GTA on steroids with tons of over the top action and dozens of on-screen pedestrians.

Turned out to be a shitty beat-em-up that would've been embarrassing even on PS1. Rockstar's sure turned it around as far as consistency goes :p

antitrop

Darkwatch.jpg

I still remember the insane amount of hype this game got and the full-stories devoted to it in Gaming Mags (much of it due to the fact that one of the girls in the game would be appearing in playboy).

Its apparently so forgotten now that the LttP thread I made it about barely got any responses.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840404&highlight=
Yes, this game got a toooooon of hype back in the day. Remember it clearly. I saw the mediocre reviews and skipped it.

It was High Moon's first game, though, then they went on to Transformers and are now sucked into the Call of Duty assembly line. :(

But in a way, I guess how fitting that a developer that started off with an overhyped, mediocre shooter aimed at consoles is now working on CoD.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
BioShock Infinite.

Game had so much potential. Instead its remembered as being inferior to Last of Us and being responsible for shutting the studio down.

This despite the fact its 90+ on metacritic so its not a bad game either.

SirNinja

Definitely Spore.

When that Spore creator was came out, people were going nuts. The imaginations were running wild and people were going ape shit with hype levels.

Then the full game came out. Good god. Nope, nope, nope.

Remember, this topic is about games that were all but forgotten. Spore is still very widely remembered. Not in a good way, of course, but still. Spore isn't even slightly forgotten.

Brute Force, Darkwatch, and Republic: The Revolution are all good answers.

Winter John

Gold Member
The Elder Scrolls Online. I've never seen a major game vanish as fast as this one. I forgot it even existed until I saw something about an update on IGN the other day.

remnant

Banned

This game has made me a lifelong supporter of retail discs and used games. I bought this game for full price the day it came out on steam, and it's still probably the worst Steam purchase I ever made. Can't give it away. Can't trade it. Sell it. Just stuck in my library for enternity

MrMatt555

I can see where people are coming from with their titanfall and watchdogs answers, however those will both get sequels so it's kind of premature to add those to the conversation.

Titanfall: The thread
Maybe we should add a clause that a game has to be at least a year old, maybe? HOWEVER, I cannot think of any other game that's ever had hype push for so long and an often-brainwashed media behind it that's seemingly dropped away this quickly. File Titanfall as part of a queue... along with Watch Dogs if it doesn't get a sales boost during the holidays when its get a cut to $30-40 to put it near the top of total sales for the year. There's no way Titalfall is going to get that same kind of bump. Its attach rate is already ludicrous on the X1 and is already discounted.

I might also add a clause that you need to see how sequels pan out as they were almost surely in development before the originals were even released. New IPs can be tricky to sort out at first. If Titanfall 2 goes to the PS4 it will sort of be vindication of its hype not living up to expectations for Microsoft.

uh Duke Nukem Forever?
If I could go back in time and were somehow billionaire-level wealthy, I would have paid a nominal price for that game to have not been released. It would have a far better legacy if it kept its insane lore/mystery and eventual vaporware status. It crushed the souls of countless thousands who actually played the originals. Sadly, by the time of eventual release of DNF that accounted for about 2% of buyers.

BioShock Infinite.

Game had so much potential. Instead its remembered as being inferior to Last of Us and being responsible for shutting the studio down.

This despite the fact its 90+ on metacritic so its not a bad game either.

The game still regularly goes on sale (and appears to be a good seller), and there's still a lot of good reviews and feedback from players.

This thread is for games that were overhyped and forgotten, not games you personally stopped caring about.

Turnstyle

cover_large.jpg

The last hurrah of a dying platform, Mayhem in Monsterland for the C64 was hyped up beyond belief before its release, with wall to wall coverage during development, culminating in a 100% review score in Commodore Format. 100%. I call that hype.

It may not be totally forgotten - I'm pretty sure it got a digital release on the Wii, but I can guarantee that not many people remember it.

TrueGrime

Titanfall and Watchdogs? Really.. really...

One is the best selling new IP and the other has major game sites noting the patches and DLC that are still rolling out for it.

Yup. These games are completely forgotten.

I can think of Blinx for the Xbox, was hyped to become the Mario / Crash Bandicoot of Microsoft. However that game ended up gaining very little traction and they quickly scrapped him as a potential mascot.
It had a sequel, but that also went completely under the radar.

RIP in peace brave cat.

Blinx_120.jpg

Probably when it first launched on 360/PS3. The game got pretty active after it launched on PC with the new content that followed it and launched on consoles later on.

Plus, there's the PS4/Vita version that was announced a few days ago.
Wait, Skullgirls is coming to Vita? I have the original for PS3 but I'm too lazy to turn on my PS3 right now. Remind me, is the single-player worthwhile?

Black & White

It's sad how Peter Molyneux was still relevant in the industry after Black & White.

But its not forgetton. And lets be honest...it wasn't SO bad. Actually I liked it a lot and put a lot of hours into it. And here and there people still talk about it.

I would go with the reboot from Alone in the Dark. It got massive hype before release and now no one remember it...

Oh man, the Titanfall hate from some quarters is a little too obvious.

Brute Force is a good call. Psyclapse and Bandersnatch almost fit the bill.

Top Bottom