• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under Night In-birth Exe:Late |OT| Under Night In-America

El Sloth

Banned
In a block string or on oki? If it's on a blockstring, I got lucky then. For combo enders, I went for wind projectile only when you had enough meter for veil off. I went for hard knockdown+damage otherwise since Hilda has no other options.

Shielding assaults vary from character to character, but yeah, it's good to shield air normals when players get really predictable or autopilot.
During blockstrings. I would try to be cute and pop Veil Off when you went for the wind projectile, but you always seemed to recover fast enough to block it.
Gotcha. Is there a youtube channel of jp uniel?
There are some youtube channels in the OP. Although they aren't specific to only UNiEL.

OceanBlue

ggs Rhapsody. Sorry you had to play a bunch of matches with someone who was flailing around the entire time. I just don't feel comfortable playing Vatista. I've played more matches offline with her than I have with Orie too, but I at least feel like I kinda know Orie's general game plan. :(

Rhapsody

Banned
ggs Rhapsody. Sorry you had to play a bunch of matches with someone who was flailing around the entire time. I just don't feel comfortable playing Vatista. I've played more matches offline with her than I have with Orie too, but I at least feel like I kinda know Orie's general game plan. :(

It's fine. Vatista's hard to learn and playing people is the only way to get used to inputs.

GGs.

OceanBlue

It's fine. Vatista's hard to learn and playing people is the only way to get used to inputs.

GGs.

What was that setup you were doing with the gem? If I remember correctly, you would launch me with the laser/gem in the combo, jump and release the gem while rising, and activate it while you were falling for a meaty gem activation. Could I have just teched away from it? It seems good if you can't.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
No one should learn Vatista she sucks.

Actually she's really good and pisses me off more than any other character

Rhapsody

Banned
What was that setup you were doing with the gem? If I remember correctly, you would launch me with the laser/gem in the combo, jump and release the gem while rising, and activate it while you were falling for a meaty gem activation. Could I have just teched away from it? It seems good if you can't.

Hm, if it was in a combo, I won't be doing any more rejumps after I start doing a crystal. After being launched midcombo from the crystal to laser, I can release a crystal, 2C, then release another one. It's a combo leaving 2 crystals on oki. Afterwards you can go for TK dive. If they fail to block it, it's a lot of damage.

Midscreen you can tech away I think, but since there are two crystals, they'll trigger the other and cover the range so you can get back in.

OceanBlue

But she's cute. :<

Hm, if it was in a combo, I won't be doing any more rejumps after I start doing a crystal. After being launched midcombo from the crystal to laser, I can release a crystal, 2C, then release another one. It's a combo leaving 2 crystals on oki. Afterwards you can go for TK dive. If they fail to block it, it's a lot of damage.

Midscreen you can tech away I think, but since there are two crystals, they'll trigger the other and cover the range so you can get back in.
Hmm, I'm kinda having a hard time visualizing it. I need to just watch more Vatista matches. It'll give me a better sense of how she's played as well. I'm too much of a rushdown player lol.

Do you know what Vatista's basic frametraps are? I feel like I was getting hit by a lot of 5A staggers, dash B 5A, and 5B 5A pressure resets from you. It's really weird staggering her moves because their cancel windows are so small, so I've just been relying on A ball to get back in.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hmm, I'm kinda having a hard time visualizing it. I need to just watch more Vatista matches. It'll give me a better sense of how she's played as well. I'm too much of a rushdown player lol.

Do you know what Vatista's basic frametraps are? I feel like I was getting hit by a lot of 5A staggers and 5B 5A pressure resets from you. It's really weird staggering her moves because their cancel windows are so small, so I've just been relying on A ball to get back in.

End with A fire ball, dash B and then 5A is pretty good. I'm not sure where to mix in crystals on pressure quiet yet since I haven't used her in training mode in awhile. A rushdown Vatista is what I want to end up playing when I put the time, but zoning is just so easy with her.

Edit: Here's a corner example of the combo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhISRJ3VKTg&feature=youtu.be#t=12m58s

OceanBlue

End with A fire ball, dash B and then 5A is pretty good. I'm not sure where to mix in crystals on pressure quiet yet since I haven't used her in training mode in awhile. A rushdown Vatista is what I want to end up playing when I put the time, but zoning is just so easy with her.

Edit: Here's a corner example of the combo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhISRJ3VKTg&feature=youtu.be#t=12m58s

Oh that's sick. I definitely need to watch more Vatista matches and pick up on some stuff.

Rhapsody

Banned
Congrats on fifth, I only saw the Seth match. I'll have to watch the Wald one later. I've been messing around with Wald lately, so this should be interesting.

Only top 8 or so was on stream, so that match wasn't on it.

I'm mostly disappointed that I couldn't get anything started and wasn't showcasing how my Nanase usually is. :(

Kikirin

Quick question: is Akatsuki's 22B a legit reversal, i.e. full invulnerable startup / active frames? Or perhaps it is invulnerable to attacks that don't have to be blocked low? I feel like my meaties on oki are frequently losing out to it, but a friend insists that 2A stuffs it. I've also tried to (Orie) 5B it during its active frames, only for it to sail through my active frames and counterhit.

Anne

Quick question: is Akatsuki's 22B a legit reversal, i.e. full invulnerable startup / active frames? Or perhaps it is invulnerable to attacks that don't have to be blocked low? I feel like my meaties on oki are frequently losing out to it, but a friend insists that 2A stuffs it. I've also tried to (Orie) 5B it during its active frames, only for it to sail through my active frames and counterhit.

Akatsuki's DP is probably the best thing about him. It's super duper real.

Finally have some time to fire this up and am trying to learn Eltnum, just because I love her characterization in the game.

Learning the hard way how dependent I've become on air-dashing...and that I'm hopeless when trying to decipher FGC notations...

Forever Scrubby...

Uraizen

Banned
Finally have some time to fire this up and am trying to learn Eltnum, just because I love her characterization in the game.

Learning the hard way how dependent I've become on air-dashing...and that I'm hopeless when trying to decipher FGC notations...

Forever Scrubby...

... Mikuthulhu?

Essay

Learning the hard way how dependent I've become on air-dashing...

Have you considered playing Merkava? He gets to glide in all the time. >.<

and that I'm hopeless when trying to decipher FGC notations...

Ah, how hopeless are we talking? It's at least the sort of stuff that, once you know it, you know it.

This game seems kind of funny because it's an anime game at its core, whose players traditionally notate with number-pad directions, commas for links, hyphens for gattlings, xx for cancels, jc for jump-cancel etc..., but seems to be attracting people from the input-light, ground-footsie-focused games too, who bring with them "qcb"'s, "uf"'s, and similar directional abbreviations that the others would just write out with numbers. So yeah, just keep in mind you'll probably run into multiple notation styles as you find content on this game.

El Sloth

Banned
People sure don't like playing Hilda online, huh. I keep getting kicked from player lobbies and people avoid me after playing once in Ranked.

I'm not even all that good ( ._.)

I don't think I've blocked a single overhead since I got this game. Beating me ain't hard at all! I press buttons on wakeup all the time damn it!

... Mikuthulhu?

Yep, that's me. But don't tell anyone... >.> <.<

Have you considered playing Merkava? He gets to glide in all the time. >.<

Ah, how hopeless are we talking? It's at least the sort of stuff that, once you know it, you know it.

This game seems kind of funny because it's an anime game at its core, whose players traditionally notate with number-pad directions, commas for links, hyphens for gattlings, xx for cancels, jc for jump-cancel etc..., but seems to be attracting people from the input-light, ground-footsie-focused games too, who bring with them "qcb"'s, "uf"'s, and similar directional abbreviations that the others would just write out with numbers. So yeah, just keep in mind you'll probably run into multiple notation styles as you find content on this game.

Naw, stuff like whiff 2a and 5 and jd C and whatnot. The numerical notation is pretty straightforward. I read through the dustloop FAQ, but still feel kind of clueless. Also, stuff like jump cancelling goes over my head...

Even at my best, I was never more than an better than average player.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Man I still have no idea wtf Im doing in this game. Been away from fighting games for way too long. One thing for sure is man do some of the characters have CRAZY reach!

Great stuff though pretty happy picking this up for around 50 USD.

Rhapsody

Banned
It needs to be out there. People are playing him very sub-optimally :T

Pretty much. I haven't fought an absolute threatening Merkava just yet (I really need the exp still).

It just scares me that most of my wins are results mostly from just clipping them or outplaying the player instead of figuring out the best counter to a situation against the character. Anything right now from Merkava that I'm dealing with is already a pain as Nanase. Against any serious main that I'll have to eventually face, I don't have confidence in the matchup lol

Anne

Well, I'll be putting out more Merkava vids so at least you can be aware of what he is capable of. Maybe you'll get a good WC Merk, right now EC is land of noodle arms.

El Sloth

Banned
I really have trouble remembering to shield and green shield. Which makes my life unnecessarily harder as Hilda! Especially shielding jump-ins and assaults. I just sort of let Carmine do his thing in the corner until I die and think to myself, "wait why wasn't I using shield?!"

Ken

ALRIGHT.

Today's the day I actually try to learn this game (before P4U2 comes out).

Aside from the workshop video in the OP are there other videos good for learning?

El Sloth

Banned
Sorry El Sloth, my internet died o_o. I'm sending this from my phone lol. ggs though. Vatista is more fun than Hyde. :D
Ragequitting while you were winning smh

Good games, that was fun. You gotta mixup Vatista's single lonely low hitting normal more since I've been taught, forcibly, to block her high when possible. Stupid robot loli!

You know, for all the talk of this game's death, I still find plenty of matches online.

OceanBlue

Ragequitting while you were winning smh

Good games, that was fun. You gotta mixup Vatista's single lonely low hitting normal more since I've been taught, forcibly, to block her high when possible. Stupid robot loli!

You know, for all the talk of this game's death, I still find plenty of matches online.

Lol definitely. I have a lot to work on with Vatista before I feel comfortable playing her. I didn't do one gem-release into assault mixup. :(

Speaking of feeling comfortable, it feels like you're a lot more comfortable with playing Hilda than the last time we played lol. I've definitely been slacking on this game. There's a tournament this weekend I'm going to that will have UNIEL, so I'm probably going to go 0-2. :V

El Sloth

Banned
Lol definitely. I have a lot to work on with Vatista before I feel comfortable playing her. I didn't do one gem-release into assault mixup. :(

Speaking of feeling comfortable, it feels like you're a lot more comfortable with playing Hilda than the last time we played lol. I've definitely been slacking on this game. There's a tournament this weekend I'm going to that will have UNIEL, so I'm probably going to go 0-2. :V
I noticed you're a lot better at playing the full screen game with Vatista now too. There were time were you stopped way too suddenly to rush me down though, should have taken advantage that she beats Hilda at full screen.

It's probably because I had a bit of experience recently playing offline with some really good players and had the chance to observe way better Hildas than me.

Good luck in the tourney! Should grind it out with some gaffers to level up!

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
For players familiar with Melty Blood's Reverse Beat, players may chain normals either from Weak to Strong or Vice Versa. For example 5A > 2B > 6C or 2C > 2B > 2A. The same move cannot be repeated in a single string with some exceptions. Smart Steer is not affected by Passing Link restrictions. Basic strategy with Passing Link is to end blockstrings with weak attacks because they have the least recovery. This is useful when gauging your opponent and trying to make them use a desperate attack or reversal and punishing them for it. Ending strings with weak attacks also leave the opponent in prime position for a throw. Delaying chained normals is also necessary for some follow ups in combos and is a good way for setting up Counter Hits.

Are you kidding me with this nonsense?

How do people get so good at videogames.

El Sloth

Banned
Are you kidding me with this nonsense?

How do people get so good at videogames.
lol is it the jargon getting to you? Don't let it scare you, it's deceptively simple in practice. You're literally just pressing buttons in whatever order you want, and there are only 3.

El Sloth

Banned
That's strange. I don't remember losing GRD for neutral teching. I'll have to pay attention to that next time I play.
From the way it's worded, it doesn't sound like the person teching loses any GRD, just gives the other guy some GRD. I won't be able to check myself until sometime next week ( ._.)

Top Bottom