So like I said, I wasn’t all that pressed about it and I thought the server was down at the time I tried, no biggie. None of my other downloaded games had an issue, including the rest of the July PS+ offerings, on top of that the Destiny beta downloaded and worked fine for me so I thought all was well.
Cut to yesterday with a little backstory, I do some freelance writing for two websites (Which I am not naming because this topic isn’t about pimping them out), so I recieved a review code for a game that will be releasing this week. I redeemed it yesterday and started downloading it.
Everything downloaded fine, patch and all. I go to start the game and it throws an error code at me. “Cannot start the application. (CE-34632-8)” So I look it up and it seems that this error is fixed by restoring the licenses. Except that when I try to do that, I get that same error that I got 3 weeks ago. “An error has occurred. (CE-33945-4)” A little frustrated, I check all of my networking settings and everything seems fine. I sign into my Wife’s Psn account, My EU account, and my JPN account, expecting to get the same error. Nope. The License Restore process on all of those work fine.
It is literally only my primary account that is affected. So I bite the bullet and call Sony to start the long and arduous process of dealing with their Customer Support line. After about 15 minutes on hold I finally speak to someone in the PSN department who takes me through all of the tedious troubleshooting steps. Activating/Deactivating the console, Rebuilding the database on the HDD from safe mode, and finally doing a Full Initialization on the console. Twice.
No dice, none of this solves the issue. So the guy on the other end of the phone tells me it must be my ISP, to which I say is completely incorrect because my other accounts restore just fine. I am then transferred to an “Account technician” and placed on hold for another 7 minutes. At this point I have been on the phone for over an hour, and my PS4 has been wiped clean. Settings, Saves, Installed games, all gone at this time. While I am on hold I start recording the call. I figure it can’t hurt, and it might be helpful for anyone else having this problem in the future.
When someone finally answers the phone they proceed to tell me that this is a known issue and that they do not have a solution yet. They have no idea what causes it and basically I am shit out of luck. I tell them how important this is because I have work to do that can now only be done with this account, again there is no solution and it cannot be fixed at this time. They have no ETA on when this will be fixed, but the tech did confirm that it has affected other accounts, not just mine. She suggested that I deactivate all of my Playstation devices (PS3s, Vita) and try activating the PS4 again first, but thats all she could say. (I did this later and it didn’t work)
I end the call politely and go to my now blank PS4. I start downloading my stuff again, Netflix, Amazon Prime, the game I need to review, the Destiny beta, etc. However, now everything has a lock next to the “Start” option and throws the “Cannot start the application. (CE-34632-8)” error at me.
Yes, thats right. You cannot even start Netflix without restoring your licenses. Frustrated and dismayed I go spend some time with my wife and daughter and take a break from this whole gaming thing for the rest of the night.
When I woke up this morning I browsed NeoGaf as I often do and I saw that there was a PS4 update. “HOPE!” I thought. Nah, it didn’t fix the issue. In fact, it introduced a new one. When I try to activate my console it now throws a new error: “An error has occurred. (WS-37470-1)” This error code is not even on the support site at all, so I don’t know what it means.
It must not affect that many accounts, as I wasn’t able to find anyone posting online who has this issue (Through Google), but I thought maybe I would tell my story here anyway in-case someone else encounters this issue.
TL:DR; Can’t “Restore Licenses” on my main account. No other accounts affected. Called Sony, offered no solution, but confirmed that this is a known problem which it being worked on. I have now lost access to my entire PS4 digital library, and purchases new, old, and otherwise cannot be played.
Some screenshots of the Errors and stuff:
Edit: Also my first thread on gaf, as it turns out.
Edit 2: Seems I am not the only one afterall.