• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 will be targeting 1080p/60fps on the PS4

Looks like a PS3 game ported to PS4. I have no problem with that, as long as 60 FPS and 1080p happen... but I'd really hope to see better textures/loading and bigger world limits, which it seems LBP3 wont have by being cross platform.

I know they said they tightened up the platforming, but I think it would have made more sense to offer a character (Oddsock?) to have much tighter controls to satisfy both ends of the spectrum.

Thought that may have been the case because of all the shared levels. Even if a PS3 version of LBP3 didn't exist it would likely still be 30fps because of the support for all the LBP2 levels. Imagine making all of those user created levels 60fps may break some things lol.

Danlord

Thought that may have been the case because of all the shared levels. Even if a PS3 version of LBP3 didn't exist it would likely still be 30fps because of the support for all the LBP2 levels. Imagine making all of those user created levels 60fps may break some things lol.
If that is true, wouldn't it be simple to just add a 30 FPS lock for user-created levels from LBP1 and 2 and LBP3 native levels are unlocked 60fps?

Salty Hippo

I'm shocked that this game will be 30fps, the graphics are seriously nothing special. And this is one the genres that benefit the most from 60fps. Justifying this decision on the fact that it's a cross gen title is an embarrassing excuse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 for PS3 has been confirmed, just so you know.

But the poster made it seem like cross-gen makes it easier to develop a game, when in fact I'd wager that it's tougher. Therefore, reaching 60 fps is noteworthy.

I'm shocked that this game will be 30fps, the graphics are seriously nothing special. And this is one the genres that benefit the most from 60fps. Justifying this decision on the fact that it's a cross gen title is an embarrassing excuse.
What the hell are you talking about?

Deadstar

Did anyone prefer LBP2 to 1? I liked the new gadgets a lot but I did not really like the "make a game" mechanics instead of "make a level" mechanics. I think it was just too much and too random. I think they should go back to the roots and focus on puzzles and platforming. Yes, I'm someone who thinks the jump physics are fine. This isn't supposed to be mario. You have some control and momentum while in the air.

Back on topic, I would loooooooooooove if you could play the LBP1 levels in LBP3 somehow.

Edit: Yikes......just saw the update.....yeah make the ps4 version worse so that it runs on a 7 year old system..........how disappointing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Which might be more difficult to optimize, I would imagine... Or am I wrong?

Yes and no.

It's harder to tune it exactly to one platform, but it also means the game was designed in a way such that it could run on really old hardware, and thus shouldn't stress new hardware as much.

Danlord

But the poster made it seem like cross-gen makes it easier to develop a game, when in fact I'd wager that it's tougher. Therefore, reaching 60 fps is noteworthy.

Right I see. Thought you might not have been aware it was actually cross-gen, but I see what you're saying.

I would imagine a cross-gen game has its benefits though for the current-gen iteration, if you're working with lesser memory and GPU power and you manage to get it up and running in 720p30 on PS3 then when the porting of the code for the PS4 happens, it might speed up *some* aspects of the port.

I hope the asset creation is different, as much as improved textures will distinguish the difference, I hope for compatability reasons the 3D assets (for the characters) have to stay the same for PS3 and PS4.

Deadstar

They should have handled it like the mortal kombat team. They are making the next gen game and another team can figure out how to get it working on ps3. Do this for LBP and add a lock for 30 fps for old levels and ps3 users.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
More specifically, wouldn't it be simple (for the PS4 version) to lock the FPS to 30 in LBP1/2-created levels, or is there cross-platform play involved?
I wouldn't think so. The creation tools are probably bound to the framerate, if that makes any sense (probably not, but hey, at least it was worth a shot).

Am I the only who feels that LBP3 is just a cheap cash grab? I don't know why but it just doesn't feel like a proper sequel considering the series incredible innovation and success.

Danlord

I wouldn't think so. The creation tools are probably bound to the framerate, if that makes any sense (probably not, but hey, at least it was worth a shot).

I understand what you mean, some games' animation are tied to 30fps for example, but I really don't think this would be the case for LBP.

Am I the only who feels that LBP3 is just a cheap cash grab? I don't know why but it just doesn't feel like a proper sequel considering the series incredible innovation and success.

I'm thinking this as well. Even before this announcement of fps, I thought that whilst it had a nice showing at E3, and Sumo Digital are a competent team it doesn't seem the investment behind the game is strong by Sony, we haven't heard much since E3 and it's out in November. The Order: 1886 and Driveclub have been given more attention and from an earlier point in the year, and they're out in February 2015 and October 2014 respectively. I know they're native PS4 titles but LBP is a large IP for Sony and it doesn't seem like they have a large investment in this title as much as they did before.

So it sounds like the only improvement PS4 will have is better IQ. They could have used the power of the PS4 to allow for bigger levels and 60 FPS which would have both improved the gameplay, but no apparently this series gets to stagnate just to keep compatibility with older levels.

Going by what Arne said in one of the TLOU's threads, it's just a term to avoid legal issues. Apparently Sony doesn't want their studios saying that any of their games will have locked 60FPS, understanding that it will never be consistent.

It's what they say when they can't commit to it yet. The game's still got 3 or 4 months' development left, so what this means is that it's not at 60fps yet, but they hope with last minute development and optimisation they'll get there.

What it probably means in reality is that there will be a lot of games like an inconsistent 45+fps frame rate.

It's what they say during development when they're not there yet. It's being honest. IT's something Sony devs seem to say a lot - Sony likes that open dev PR>

Arne mentioned that Sony wants them to use it in order to avoid backlash if there wind up being occasional drops. It still means that they are working to make a 60fps game, I think it's just something the legal department insists on. I see no reason why LBP3 wouldn't be able to easily hit that on PS4.

Ahhhh, makes perfect sense. Thanks to everyone for their answers!

I haven't played any of the LBP games (but I've seen store demos at Best Buy, etc), but if 3 is good enough I'll eventually get around to it, whenever I get a PS4.

VanWinkle

This is by far the least impressive looking big exclusive PS4 game. I love the LBP series, but I don't know about this. And still 30fps despite how utterly average it looks? Disappointing.

I have a soft spot for LBP, got me where I am today actually... Will pick this one up! But it is not by Media molecule I presume...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I can see the word "targeting" becoming an overused term this generation. It already annoys me.

Not a fan of honesty, eh? Devs should just lie to us like they did in every previous gen. We definitely responded better to that.

Top Bottom