• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors getting hardcover guides

Exile20

hard.png

http://nintendotweet.tumblr.com/post/92512721643/according-to-amazon-both-bayonetta-2-and-hyrule

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=9781101898154+%7C+9781101898093

Anyone picking these up?

That's cool and all, but I wish they would have done artbooks instead simply because of the prevalence of online guides. Oh well, these might have some nice art in them.

Eusis

I can't think of genres less apt for guides.
Actually Bayonetta 1 apparently had a really good one, there's a lot to be said for battle techniques and the like as I understand.

Zelda's just to get out another of those LE guides out there.

Carbonox

Bayonetta's guide is one of the best guides ever released. Worth a pretty penny now too.

I won't be picking up a Wii U this year but I'm still tempted to get the Bayonetta 2 guide if it's anything like the first. Might also be worth a fair bit in the future too.

I can't think of genres less apt for guides.

Genre name trigger warning:

Character action games have all sorts of techniques and combos against specific enemy types. There's going to be things done in those Bayonetta combo videos that most players would never figure out on their own. These guides likely won't delve that deep, but there's certainly enough to those types of games that would warrant a guide, unless you believe guides only exist to help someone make a single run-through of a game.

No to mention most people interested in these guides want them as collector's items, especially since they'll be hardcover.

border

I will definitely pick this one up.

The Bayonetta 1 strategy guide currently sells for $80-$130, doesn't it?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Character action games have all sorts of techniques and combos against specific enemy types. There's going to be things done in those Bayonetta combo videos that most players would never figure out on their own. These guides likely won't delve that deep, but there's certainly enough to those types of games that would warrant a guide, unless you believe guides only exist to help someone make a single run-through of a game.

The Bayo 1 guide went deep enough.

They actually made a trailer for that guide, for those who don't remember:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385703
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch1U73QXTsY

Only strategy guide I ever imported, mainly because it was only released in EU and never in the US. The guide also included links to online video examples of the various techniques they mention.

Seik

Banned
Please educate us then. I am curious what you fill a hard cover book with for this genre.

Read the 21 posts above and you'll get it. ;)

Like mentionned, final weapons in Musou games can be bitches to get. (Though I wonder if this applies for this specific Zelda Musou.)

I can see many strats and hidden content for Bayo 2, making a guide useful, this could help too.

I'm tempted to buy them...very much.

Please educate us then. I am curious what you fill a hard cover book with for this genre.

To reiterate and go a little into depth of what others have said, the Musou, or Warriors, franchise often have special, ultimate weapons for each character (or weapon class). They each have a unique unlock requirement, similar in vein to other ultimate weapon unlocks in games such as in RPGs like Final Fantasy X.

They are relatively obtuse, requiring certain objectives to be finished within a strict time limit and such. Depending on how detailed they go, I can see each ultimate weapon getting it's own page. Add to that, stage layouts, item, weapon, sub-weapon glossaries, and an art section, there's much more content in here than at a quick glance.

Famassu

A Bayonetta 2 related but not guide-related question: in Europe, does every physical copy of Bayo 2 come with Bayo 1 or is there some kind of Special Edition? Google gives conflicting information. Some news mention a Special Edition separate from Bayo 2 Solus Edition, others don't.

MoxManiac

To reiterate and go a little into depth of what others have said, the Musou, or Warriors, franchise often have special, ultimate weapons for each character (or weapon class). They each have a unique unlock requirement, similar in vein to other ultimate weapon unlocks in games such as in RPGs like Final Fantasy X.

They are relatively obtuse, requiring certain objectives to be finished within a strict time limit and such. Depending on how detailed they go, I can see each ultimate weapon getting it's own page. Add to that, stage layouts, item, weapon, sub-weapon glossaries, and an art section, there's much more content in here than at a quick glance.

It's not just weapons; i had to refer to a guide for help on unlocking hypothetical story routes in Dynasty Warriors 8, and for some of the harder to unlock characters/stages in Warriors Orochi 3.

Toxi

Banned
At first I thought, "what's the point?"

Then I remembered that I still have my Metroid Prime guide.

Monocle

Prima? Lolno. If the Bayonetta 2 guide were published by Future Press I'd be placing my pre-order now. Their guide for the first game goes crazy in depth and has a gorgeous presentation. Great things happen when you hire actual experts to make a guide, who knew?

The original guide is supposed to be rare enough these days, and sells for a good price (even used).New prices are higher, but I cannot find a legit listing...

C4qTb2l.png

maks

Just found out about the Bayonetta 2 strategy guide. So disappointing that it isn't from FuturePress. Prima won't come close to that expertise.

FP really released a magnificent guide. I have two of them! It was actually selling for as high as $300 new at one point IIRC.

Squishy3

oh god no prima.
It doesn't matter if it's Prima so much as who they're contracting to write the guide or if they're doing it in-house. Even the W101 guide was fine for just all the collectibles (which is the main appeal of these as Platinum stuffs so much into their games) although the formatting could have been better. I imagine they'll put slightly more work into a hardcover version of the guide, though. Plus it'll have like 20 pages dedicated to art and stuff.

Top Bottom