• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q4: 1.1M XBO/360 Shipped

jaypah

News like this makes it hard to jump in. I keep thinking "well, what else will they sweeten the pot with?" Hell, by Christmas I might be able to get one for $400 with Kinect and like 3 games or some shit.

kswiston

Well they "could" in the same way Sony lost $300 per 20GB launch PS3 and lost $250 per 60GB launch PS3 sold.

That didn't really help them much.

Price cuts have never lead to huge turnarounds on products that weren't selling all that well to start with.

Lynn616

Last Quarter 360 shipped 800,000 units. There is usually a drop in shipments between Jan-Mar quarter and the Apr-Jun quarter. Last year that drop was 23%. If MS had a similar drop this year then the 360 shipped 616,000 units. So X1 with those numbers shipped 484,000 units.

Tamanon

Banned
Hmm, seems like that means it's tanking overseas. It's not burning up the charts in the US, but it's at least semi-respectable for last month.

BigDug13

That didn't really help them much.

Price cuts have never lead to huge turnarounds on products that weren't selling all that well to start with.

So the price drops for PS3 from $600 to eventually at parity with the 360 was not a help in them climbing back from last place to taking second place?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Last Quarter 360 shipped 800,000 units. There is usually a drop in shippments between Jan-Mar quarter and the Apr-Jun quarter. Last year that drop was 23%. If MS had a similar drop this year then the 360 shipped 616,000 units. So X1 with those numbers shipped 484,000 units.

Which would be pretty much Wii U level.

How is this good stuff is beyond me...

Yeah this is awful for the industry.

ICPEE

Is this good or bad?
10535d1227383708-good-bad-armageddon-good-bad.jpg

Allow me to indulge my own stupidity for a moment. In some extreme scenario where Nintendo creates a 199.99 or less sku for the Wii U, and gamers fall in love with their lineup in addition to Smash, is it possible for Nintendo to pass the Xbox One in 2015 or beyond? I'm guessing Halo Collection this year probably prevents any chance of that scenario happening, but a second place Wii U would be something interesting.

While possible, it seems very very unlikely

The US [and probably UK] have shown a clear preference for the XB1 over the Wii U thus far and I don't see that changing

Wii U will own Japan for now if not for this generation but Japan is now a middling market for home consoles anyways so unlikely to help too much [maybe 5M or 6M at most?]

So while XB1 probably garners 15M - 25M consoles in the US, Wii U garners maybe 8M? Europe is a big question mark for both but I doubt Wii U can catch up that well from just mainland Europe

Just my opinion on the matter though

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
If only some of you guys would visit the forum at a certain banned site, instead of thinking of the site as a whole, you wouldn't be surprised by this news at all. Forget the main site, the guys over there are pretty savvy when it comes to reality.

These numbers don't surprise me at all.

And before I get the usual reply: FORUM, not, SITE.

Evenflow

Allow me to indulge my own stupidity for a moment. In some extreme scenario where Nintendo creates a 199.99 or less sku for the Wii U, and gamers fall in love with their lineup in addition to Smash, is it possible for Nintendo to pass the Xbox One in 2015 or beyond? I'm guessing Halo Collection this year probably prevents any chance of that scenario happening, but a second place Wii U would be something interesting.

What do you mean pass? The Wii U is firmly in second place right now. It's a question of how long it stays there, and going by this, I'm thinking a long time.

Hmm, seems like that means it's tanking overseas. It's not burning up the charts in the US, but it's at least semi-respectable for last month.

We've had plenty of indications that the console is practically dead outside the US/UK. This is just further proof for those who didn't believe.

jelly

News like this makes it hard to jump in. I keep thinking "well, what else will they sweeten the pot with?" Hell, by Christmas I might be able to get one for $400 with Kinect and like 3 games or some shit.

True, deals are only going to get better. Tough for MS, that's why they need big exclusive games to sway consumers.

fred

The Xbox One is currently in third place mate. Unless you're talking about the US only..?

TomShoe

Banned
If only some of you guys would visit the forum at a certain banned site, instead of thinking of the site as a whole, you wouldn't be surprised by this news at all. Forget the main site, the guys over there are pretty savvy when it comes to reality.

Those forums are why I left. They have delusional trolls that post threads on there that don't get taken down even if their "factz" have been disproved for months.

Why are you advertising a banned site? What's your agenda?

ethomaz

Banned
Well using my previous maths.

XB1: < 5.9m - [what 360 shipped in June]

I was predicting ~1.0-1.2m on shelves:

XB1 SOLD TO CONSUMERS (MY ESTIMATE): 4.7m to 4.9m

PS. Can be crazy below 4.7m but I will stay with my estimates.

which site is that?

Last Quarter 360 shipped 800,000 units. There is usually a drop in shipments between Jan-Mar quarter and the Apr-Jun quarter. Last year that drop was 23%. If MS had a similar drop this year then the 360 shipped 616,000 units. So X1 with those numbers shipped 484,000 units.

only about 60 more years then to reach ps3/360/ps2/wii/psp numbers

BigDug13

Now the question is: how dead is the Xbox 360?

That helps us determine how bad this new is for the Xbox One.

The longer the 360 lingers, the worse that is for Microsoft. If 360 owners wait too long to upgrade, nearly all their friends will have chosen PS4 so that doesn't really help Microsoft. Getting people into XBO now is most important than waiting for 360 gamers to eventually move over.

Amir0x

Banned
Could certainly be interesting but this generation has only just started. Hell, I never thought MS would beat the lifetime Wii units but its happening. Such a weird race where the start and middle are way more interesting than the actual end because people just look at new runners instead o the old ones crossing the line.

Well, yes, but some things are now really impossible. For example, there's nothing Microsoft can really do to change how badly they're getting clompled in Europe, and of course Japan is dead for Sony, it's going to be super dead for Microsoft. The only place Microsoft can gain ground is in the USA, and even in the month of their biggest game (and one of the most marketed games I've ever seen in the gaming press), even in the month of their big marquee pricedrop... they still couldn't touch PS4.

So I think it's obvious there's no way to first for Microsoft. There's just no logical path for that. But there IS a path to still becoming a viable second place system that can make a small profit - assuming Microsoft's business plan can account for that. Not sure how much they lost with things like the 400 million NFL plan and changing all that DRM stuff and all and cutting Kinect out and re-marketing. That shit costs money. But if they do have a sensible plan in place, they could profit off it a bit and come out at least with their necks in place ya know?

That'd actually be better than where PS3 ended up from a business perspective, considering PS3 still cost Sony all their profits from PS2, PSP and PS1.

Outside of a real price cut, I see a holiday Master Chief Collection bundle, sensibly priced, as being their next opportunity to at least seriously bump sales in the US. If they're smart about it, that could be a real catalyst for the holidays.

It is taking the willpower of the Gods to stick to my guns about not going in until $299.99 like I did for PS3 due to Forza Horizon 2 and Master Chief Collection. That's honestly one of the best collection values I've ever seen in my life, it's almost astonishing.

So yeah I agree. But I also think Sunset Overdrive might surprise us. Just a feeling I have.

Duxxy3

They could just kill it with a $299 Kinectless SKU.

They need to be at $349, or heavily bundled. $399 kinectless bundle still isn't the best value. $399 with Titanfall and Forza 5... ok, now we're talking. It's the same bundle they are giving to japan - that's the bundle they should be pushing worldwide.

jelly

The longer the 360 lingers, the worse that is for Microsoft. If 360 owners wait too long to upgrade, nearly all their friends will have chosen PS4 so that doesn't really help Microsoft. Getting people into XBO now is most important than waiting for 360 gamers to eventually move over.

Turning off Xbox Live seemed to work last time.

Does anyone have full on sales comparisons between 360 and Xbone? I want to know how much they've differed between each other and shit.

Xbox 360 Shipments:

November 2005 - December 2005 - 1.5 million
November 2005 - March 2006 - 3.2 million
November 2005 - June 2006 - 5.0 million

Xbox 360 was constrained by supply issues in its first few months.

Xbox One Shipments:

November 2005 - December 2013: 3.9 million
November 2013 - March 2014 - 5.1 million
November 2013 - June 2014 - Less than 6 million

Amir0x

Banned
God damn it, MS. Now I will never be able to update this graph. :/

ps4sales6fypj0.jpg

Haha. I think PS4 and Wii will cross streams this holiday season.

Duxxy3 said:
They need to be at $349, or heavily bundled. $399 kinectless bundle still isn't the best value. $399 with Titanfall and Forza 5... ok, now we're talking. It's the same bundle they are giving to japan - that's the bundle they should be pushing worldwide.

Yeah, but that's Japan, where Microsoft is only going to sell a total of 10 units. They can afford to give that away. The one thing people may have not have heard is that Microsoft, despite having tons of money, has actually said time and time again that their goal is to draw a profit out of XBO as quick as possible, they don't want to just pour tons of money in for no return. If you did 399 with Titanfall and Forza 5, I'm not sure the margins would be worth shit, and they need those margins to be worth something in America.

jaypah

True, deals are only going to get better. Tough for MS, that's why they need big exclusive games to sway consumers.

Yup. I have nothing against the console I just don't see anything that I absolutely have to have. If there were four exclusives that I was interested in I'd be in. Or like the WiiU if it was cheaper I'd be in. But for now I'll wait it out. Funnily enough I really want KS:R but I need more.

Never been but I think most people who spend time in sales threads here shouldn't be surprised by this news either.

Duxxy3

I'm still going with my theory that the best thing for XB1 would be a bad 360 version of advanced warfare. That would be the biggest XB1 system seller of the year.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Why are you advertising a banned site? What's your agenda?

What? I'm not advertising a banned site (VGC are always wrong), I'm just saying I knew it was going this way because of savvy people on their forum ... and agenda? Seriously?

NEVER EVER BELIEVE THE SITES NUMBERS.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Xbox 360 Shipments:

October - December 2005 - 1.5 million
October 2005 - March 2006 - 3.2 million
October 2005 - June 2006 - 5.0 million

Xbox 360 was constrained by supply issues in its first few months.

Xbox One Shipments:

October - December 2013: 3.9 million
October 2013 - March 2014 - 5.1 million
October 2013 - June 2014 - Less than 6 million

So...360 first Q1 = One first Q1 x2 at least. At least.

Wow that's epic bomba for the quarter. Less than a million X1s. Maybe the channels were more stuffed than anyone could imagine.

And this is why i doubt that they'll be able to introduce a white XBO bundle for SO, there are still lots of unsold units on store shelves... even day one units.

Ambition

The forum is even shittier than the main site.

Yup, I'm waiting for an MCC $299 Black Friday bundle.

Top Bottom