• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite 16 bits platform game?

.Anema

I really love platform games, since the NES era to the present time, platform games (at least for me) are like "what games are about" in terms of gameplay and design... And with the 16 bits era (SNES, Genesis) we lived the "boom" with games like Super Mario World, Sonic, Aero the Acrobat and the Donkey Kong Country Saga.

So, GAF, what is your favorite platform game of the 16 bits era?

My choice is Donkey Kong Country 2. For me is one of the best games ever. The level design is awesome, the graphics and art direction are really good, with a lot of scenarios and situations. And of course the OST is still a god tier, even in 2014.

What is your choice? Please elaborate :)

terrisus

There can only be one

DfA0iQk.png

Super Mario World

It might not be the best, but I would probably nominate Rocket Knight Adventures as my favourite.

It's full of character and charm, has unique mechanics, plenty of level variety and great music. What more could you want?

Edit: I'm not the biggest fan of SMW. It felt like a half cocked sequel after the mind blowing SMB3. Come at me.

CDX

Probably Sonic 3 & Knuckles

8xlprbkbcqhp.png

It might not be the best, but I would probably nominate Rocket Knight Adventures as my favourite.

It's full of character and charm, has unique mechanics, plenty of level variety and great music. What more could you want?

Rocket Knight Adventures is really good too.

BigK_201

Does Mega Man X count as a platformer? If so - Mega Man X.

If not - Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island

EDIT: (Just noticed the elaborate part)

Mega Man X was originally really tough for me (it was my first real Mega Man game, as we never owned any of the NES games). The more I played it, the better I would get, and when I would finally beat a boss it would be so fulfilling. Combined with some great music, I still play it to this day (thank Wii U Virtual Console :D )

In the argument of SM3 v. SMW, I'm all SMW. My family played a lot of the NES games too, so I guess it's hard for me to say why I like this one better. It could because I distinctly remember beating it for the first time and being happy about it. Maybe it's also because parts of it are still challening, like going under the gate on the cheese bridge, and some of those star world levels. Good times.

.Anema

Does Mega Man X count as a platformer? If so - Mega Man X.

If not - Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island

For me it's more like a shooter than a platformer. But I'll take it as an option since the platforms are an essential (and really difficult) part of the gameplay. Good one!

Phil S.

Banned
My favorites go in this order:

1) Super Mario World - My first Mario game that I was old enough to really appreciate and spend a lot of time with.

2) Mega Man X - Despite it having only four really great installment and two good/okay ones, Mega Man X is my favorite of the Mega Man brand of the series and X1 is my favorite Mega Man game.

3) Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong-Quest - The presentation is top notch, but I adore the different levels and how they continued to introduce new level concepts/obstacles/hazards/gimmicks to make things fun from beginning to end.

Courage

I played SMW for the first time last year and loved it. Still gotta play SMB3 and choose which one's the best. I have no excuse now that it's on the WiiU eshop.

smw
smw 2
dkc 3

Hell yeah!

Never understood the hate for DKC 3 enjoyed it waaaaaaaaay more than the first 2.

Way more variety in levels, much better looking and awesome sound track to boot.
Also loved the fact that once you completed a level you could tell by the flag if you missed any of the secret bonus coin barrels.

And what's up with the Yoshi's Island hate? Best 16bit platformer IMO, actually greatest 2D platformer.
Always surprised but the sheer amount of new ideas it displays.

Dsyndrome

Earthworm Jim 1 and 2. The humor in those games was phenomenal, everything from Bob the Goldfish to Peter Puppy. Wish Earthworm Jim 3D was actually good.

.Anema

Hell yeah!

Never understood the hate for DKC 3 enjoyed it waaaaaaaaay more than the first 2.

And what's up with the Yoshi's Island hate? Best 16bit platformer IMO, actually greatest 2D platformer.

I still can't understand why some people hate DKC3. It's not as good as DKC2 (water stages sucks, the general art direction is not so impressive and the OST is like a downgrade) but is a really good game for the franchise.

The same goes for SMW2, I'm not a big fan of the "baby mario mechanics" but still, it's a perfect platformer.

Here's a possibly controversial opinion, 8bit platformers > 16 bit platformers.

Mario, Mega Man, Battletoads, Ninja Gaiden... all better on NES.

random25

Pretty obvious choices for me:

Super Mario World - yeah, do I really need to say more?
Sonic the Hedgehog series - Speed + tight controls. Best platformer of the 16-bit SEGA era
Yoshi's Island - platformer with really good exploration stages
Megaman X series - Cool teenage-looking Megaman with badass design and music? Yeah!

StuBurns

Banned

With Mario, I'm not sure that's fair. Certainly I think 3 is stronger than SMW, but there are four Marios on NES, and only two on SNES, and SMW2 is still better than B1, B2 and LL.

Also, NG on SNES was just a port, no original titles to compare.

Glass Rebel

Coming from SMB3 I felt that SMW was mildly disappointing both in terms of gameplay and aesthetics. I didn't like it nearly as much as most seem to have but it's by no means a bad game.

Mega Man X on the other hand was a huge jump forward from the NES entries. Amazing game that laid the groundwork for my favourite subseries, Mega Man Zero.

.Anema

I'm OK with Ninja Gaiden and Battletoads but... Mario? SMW and SMW2 are much more in terms of overall gameplay and presentation, the same goes for Megaman. The X saga is the next level for the Megaman gameplay, they are much better and polished games.

With Mario, I'm not sure that's fair. Certainly I think 3 is stronger than SMW, but there are four Marios on NES, and only two on SNES, and SMW2 is still better than B1, B2 and LL.

Also, NG on SNES was just a port, no original titles to compare.

Well, SMB3 alone is better than SMW and SMW2 so that's Mario for me! I do like SMW and SMW2... just not as much. NG is cheating, but I hate what they did with trilogy (especially the music).

I'm OK with Ninja Gaiden and Battletoads but... Mario? SMW and SMW2 are much more in terms of overall gameplay and presentation, the same goes for Megaman. The X saga is the next level for the Megaman gameplay, they are much better and polished games.

I like MM2 and MM3 quite a bit more than the X games. Probably has a lot to do with nostalgia, but many 16 bit sequels suffer from "super" syndrome. Bigger sprites etc but just not as tight as the earlier entries. I can see people preferring the X series... probably time to replay the whole series for me so I can reappraise!

Top Bottom