• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We still think about KOTOR 3" - Obsidian

Ralemont

not me
Whether it's BioWare (real BioWare) or Obsidian making it, a single-player KOTOR 3 would be incredible.

I consider buying TOR just so I can have a McDonald's version of that Five Guys burger.

Mentok

Banned
giphy.gif

Sadly with EA holding the license, I just don't see it happening. I loved KOTOR.

Eggbok

What if it was a prequel KOTOR? But during the Mandalorian Wars and you play as a Jedi who can choose between staying with the Republic/Jedi or joining Revan/Malak !? And there are lots of cameo characters from KOTOR 1 and 2.

Well Bioware already ruined the story of Revan and the Exile, if they can retcon SWTOR/Revan novel then that would be a dream come true.

Too bad miracles like that don't happen

It makes me so angry that Disney declared everything non canon. While there was a lot of crap in the EU, I always loved the Old Republic stuff.

D i Z

Such a tease. Disney is not likely to be awesome enough to allow this to be a thing.
Especially with the new filming and after the EU wipe.

Arulan

While I'm sure I would love to play a KOTOR 3, I think creating a new IP would be much more interesting at this point, and beneficial to Obsidian. In fact, Chris Avellone gets into the advantages and disadvantages of being independent in this audio interview:

http://memoryleakinterviews.com/chris-avellone-audio/

For instance he mentions while it's great to be able to work on countless licensed IPs they often don't get to continue their work with a sequel. Essentially they put a lot of work into a game including setting up the world, characters, story, and mechanics and do not get continue it because they don't own the rights to the IP. They specifically mention what they envisioned for their "Fallout 3" after working on Fallout 2.

In fact one of the (countless) reasons I'm so excited about Pillars of Eternity is specifically because it's a new IP and completely controlled by Obsidian. They can improve upon it and make a sequel if they so wish. Speaking of Pillars of Eternity, Giant Bomb has a Quick Look up today:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-ex-pillars-of-eternity/2300-9224/

poedialoguewindowklym9.png

This is incredible.

Fractal

Banned
I don't know, doubt we'll ever see this happen, even though I'd love to see a proper KoTOR 3. As for the EU being non-canon, couldn't care less about it. Enjoyed the world, the characters and the story in all the KoTOR games, and seeing more of it would be great, regardless of some meaningless statement.

unbias

Well Bioware already ruined the story of Revan and the Exile, if they can retcon SWTOR/Revan novel then that would be a dream come true.

Too bad miracles like that don't happen

I thought Drew Karpyshyn did a good job with the books. There was, perhaps, too much "fill in the blanks", but for the most part the books were good. The only reason I see a problem with Reven is if you cant get past the fact that they canonized Reven. I get it though, a lot of bioware fans think "their character" should not be messed with.

foxtrot3d

Banned
The hell with that, just make an original sci-fi world after PoE.

You know I asked Chris Avellone abou this years ago during an AMA, I basically asked him if he played Mass Effect and if Obsidian curretly had any plans for a sci-fi space RPG. He said no, I am still dissapointed. WHY? WHY OBSIDIAN? You tease us about KOTOR 3 and refuse to make your own original sci-fi game, why must you be so cruel?

Philippo

Aren't they developing a current-gen game? Maybe they partnered with EA, so that they have SW and Bioware Mass Effect (while developing a new IP).

Falcker

Guess they really just want anyone to give them a contract.

Maybe they should work on trying to iron out their own new IP rather than trying to keep being at the supposed mercy of other developers/publishers.

li bur

After playing shadowrun games, Obsidian should do an isometric Cyberpunk RPG. Man that new POE gameplay video was amazing visual-wise.

Arulan

No. Enough with the throw back isometic stuff, I want a full AAA budget game in 3D.

While there are great examples of how to do a 3D RPG (Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Deus Ex) the use of the isometric view isn't just a "throw back" or inferior to a 3D perspective.

Staf

While I'm sure I would love to play a KOTOR 3, I think creating a new IP would be much more interesting at this point, and beneficial to Obsidian. In fact, Chris Avellone gets into the advantages and disadvantages of being independent in this audio interview:

http://memoryleakinterviews.com/chris-avellone-audio/

For instance he mentions while it's great to be able to work on countless licensed IPs they often don't get to continue their work with a sequel. Essentially they put a lot of work into a game including setting up the world, characters, story, and mechanics and do not get continue it because they don't own the rights to the IP. They specifically mention what they envisioned for their "Fallout 3" after working on Fallout 2.

In fact one of the (countless) reasons I'm so excited about Pillars of Eternity is specifically because it's a new IP and completely controlled by Obsidian. They can improve upon it and make a sequel if they so wish. Speaking of Pillars of Eternity, Giant Bomb has a Quick Look up today:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-ex-pillars-of-eternity/2300-9224/

poedialoguewindowklym9.png

This is incredible.

That image is amazing! Finaly a conversation system with some depth and not "choose the upper-right end of the wheel to be the good guy".

NJDEN

They should do some kind of joint project with Bioware...

Remaster Kotor I & II, then develop a third game where you play as Revan and finish his story... also maybe some kind of prequel set in the Mandalorian wars where you could play as the exile and start her story... Like a kind of four game pack. Then work some of that Mass Effect cross game stuff in so if you were a man in Kotor I then when you play Kotor II it would refer to Revan as a man and vice versa.

They could charge $180 and make it an Origin exclusive, I would still buy it...

DOWN

Banned
Didn't KOTOR 3 get pitched but things fell through and Lucasarts died? Source: game informer article on Lucasarts and/or some Obsidian comments, but while I look for the source, grain of salt this post

Save your breath Obsidian, if you loved it so much maybe you should've actually finished making KOTOR 2 first.

Also, Old Republic will likely be completely rendered completely obsolete and noncanon within a year.

unbias

Since I haven't played it, I'm curious: what have they done with SWTOR to ruin anything after KOTOR 2?

Nothing was ruined persay, just the Reven/Exile plot has been wrapped up, with one of the people involved
being a companion in SWTOR
. There could easily be a KOTOR 3 if it didnt have anything to do with Reven or the Exile.

Also, Old Republic will likely be completely rendered completely obsolete and noncanon within a year.

Doesnt look to be the case. Looks like TOR will continue and by extension maintain its canon.

Oh god, plz Obsidian DO IT!

I replayed the games over the last 4 months... So good. Now i imagine a Kotor game with modern graphics and presentation.... oh laaawd

Ric Flair

Banned
I remember 14 year old me really wanted to hook up with the bounty hunter girl, I repeated that one conversation with her over-and-over again asking her if she'd go out with a guy like me. I don't know why, but somewhere in the back of my head I thought the conversation would have a different outcome at some point

Some Nobody

While there are great examples of how to do a 3D RPG (Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Deus Ex) the use of the isometric view isn't just a "throw back" or inferior to a 3D perspective.

To many of you, perhaps not. But I disagree.

And, I still think about deep dish pizza. That means about as much as this statement does, as much as I'd love to see KOTOR return.

Seyavesh

The much talked about "Obsidian writing" felt so overwrought and preachy in this game it started to become a joke to me. I would intentionally take the opposing side of every character just to see how much holier-than-thou dialog I could get them to shout about.
Me - "Yeah, I went to war and felt good about it, so what Jedi lady?"
Jedi Lady - "NOOOO! War is BAD and we are good and you are bad, blah blah blah"

Me - "Yeah, I gave that pan-handler 5 credits, so what?"
Old lady (totally not going to end up being the villain) companion - "NOOOO! Giving handouts is BAD because he will get mugged and nothing good ever happens to anyone ever because life is bad, blah blah blah.
who the fuck is 'jedi lady'
atris? she's supposed to be a holier-than-thou hypocrite that's literally the entire point of her character from the moment she opens her mouth. and kreia is straight up supposed to be the same, except she realizes that she's a hypocrite in her beliefs and actions. there was a point where atris and kreia actually had exchangeable roles in terms of the finale. there isn't a single character in the game who really has a 'right' point of view and that's the whole theme of the game, that the whole light/dark side schtick is stupid.

there's really no 'preaching' going on in the game besides characters stating their viewpoints, of which you're completely free to disagree with. you can actually get to the full trust points disagreeing with all the characters' philosophies 'cuz they'll respect and examine your character's beliefs as long as you aren't just being a petty moron. the exception to this is kreia because she is stone set in her ways. she wants to be sucked up to because she is trying to manipulate you for her own uses.

i can't give fault to folks for their tastes but please at least understand what you're criticizing before doing so

this next part isn't aimed at you i just really enjoy kotor 2's overall concept. though the execution was questionable due to whatever reasons

kreia is really blatantly supposed to be the villain. like it's straight up telegraphed in the tutorial and if you've been talking to her she straight up tells you that she's going to be the final boss like midway through the game. the whole point of her being in your party from the start is so that you can understand her philosophy of how the force existing at all is mad fucked 'cuz having an unknown and ambiguous 'force' manipulating everyone is really not cool, especially given that it's been at the center of not one, but two separate giant galaxy-wrecking wars that she lived through. but it is 100% in your self interest, regardless of 'light or dark' to stop her because her plan will kill you. and an infinitely large unknown number of others at a minimum if you care about them (and you don't have to, at all!)

also i love, love, love the final talk between your char and kreia where you can ask if there's some big plot twist or some shit and she's just like 'of course not, what were you expecting? i told you what i was gonna do and now i'm doing it. you're you and i'm me, now let's throw down'

edit:

also TOR is wrooooong as a continuation of KOTOR 2, which is fine i guess since it's more of a continuation of the original KOTOR's deal supposedly

but in KOTOR 2 most of the journey is kreia using you to wipe out every single faction that defines the force in terms of 'light or dark', effectively eliminating that 'balance of the force' concept as a whole.

ughhh kotor 2 is so dang good

li bur

No. Enough with the throw back isometic stuff, I want a full AAA budget game in 3D.

Be realistic. With Obsidian's track record of AAA games, it'd be very hard for them to pitch their games. I don't say its impossible but highly unlikely.

Isometric RPG is not about throwback to the past, its our only hope of getting a vast and high quality RPG that is cost effective for devs like obsidian.

Remaster Kotor I & II, then develop a third game where you play as Revan and finish his story...

Revan's tale in Dromund Kaas is concluded in a novel in the most unsatisfying way possible.

Widge

lots of stuff about Obsidians writing

I need to see KOTOR 2 in action but one of the things that killed off KOTOR for me was the dialogue. The main character had the forces at either end of the spectrum which were either relentlessly pious or a massive dickhead. Seriously, the dark side writing was awful, you just ended up being a huge knob in the face of someone like Vader, who always had a chilling ruthless cool about him.

Then the NPC's, and this is something that carried through to Dragon Age and a good portion of ME1. They are so dull. I've never encountered such tedium. Often jabbing through the dialogue before the voice acting has finished in the hope I don't miss a mission trigger anywhere. ME1 got better as it went on and ME2 onwards really did the business.

Still, as I say, I've not tried KOTOR2, and maybe their writing is a hell of a lot better. All of the above means that I don't have a lot of love for the KOTOR series, or any anticipation. I very nearly didn't get ME because of this and that took some serious effort to get through at first.

Who's the dude? The Exile is a woman.

That picture predates the establishment of Meetra Surik as a female in canon.

Not like it's actually canon anymore anyway, so fuck it. Go crazy.

Widge said:
I need to see KOTOR 2 in action but one of the things that killed off KOTOR for me was the dialogue. The main character had the forces at either end of the spectrum which were either relentlessly pious or a massive dickhead. Seriously, the dark side writing was awful, you just ended up being a huge knob in the face of someone like Vader, who always had a chilling ruthless cool about him.

Then the NPC's, and this is something that carried through to Dragon Age and a good portion of ME1. They are so dull. I've never encountered such tedium. Often jabbing through the dialogue before the voice acting has finished in the hope I don't miss a mission trigger anywhere. ME1 got better as it went on and ME2 onwards really did the business.

Still, as I say, I've not tried KOTOR2, and maybe their writing is a hell of a lot better. All of the above means that I don't have a lot of love for the KOTOR series, or any anticipation. I very nearly didn't get ME because of this and that took some serious effort to get through at first.

I assume you haven't seen this image

Kreia is one of the best-written characters in the history of Star Wars and overall Obsidian's efforts in that department were far superior to BW

I enjoyed KOTOR 2, but I like my Star Wars games to be Star Wars-y. KOTOR 1 really felt like something that belonged to the OT, KOTOR 2 felt like a completely different sci-fi world that had some Star Wars window dressing draped over it.

I enjoyed KOTOR 2, but I like my Star Wars games to be Star Wars-y. KOTOR 1 really felt like something that belonged to the OT, KOTOR 2 felt like a completely different sci-fi world that had some Star Wars window dressing draped over it.

Thats probably my biggest issue with it as well now that you pointed out.

Durante

[great post]
Thanks, you saved me a lot of writing.

Obsidian's characters in KOTOR2 are significantly more multifaceted than Bioware's archetypes in KOTOR1. Kreia is probably one of my favourite characters in all RPGs.

I agree with the premise, except that I came to an entirely different conclusion. The fact that it's less Star Wars-y is probably why I found KOTOR2 a lot more interesting.

Korben

Banned
I assume you haven't seen this image

Kreia is one of the best-written characters in the history of Star Wars and overall Obsidian's efforts in that department were far superior to BW

You can also pick any images from KOTOR 1 & 2 to "prove" the exact opposite. I found Malak more complex and impressive than "Naked Vader bis".

Same goes for Kreia with her absolute nonsense "goal".

But then again, this is the eternal confrontation/argument between "KOTOR guys" vs "KOTOR 2 guys". Even if, unlike some of you (apparently), i love both games and i think they are both epic.

You can also pick any images from KOTOR 1 & 2 to "prove" the exact opposite. I found Malak more complex and impressive than "Naked Vader bis".

Same goes for Kreia with her absolute nonsense "goal".

But then again, this is the eternal confrontation/argument between "KOTOR guys" vs "KOTOR 2 guys". Even if, unlike some of you (apparently), i love both games and i think they are both epic.

Don't get me wrong, I love both too.

But Malak's about as one-dimensional as they come. He was cartoonishly evil.

Top Bottom