• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament (4) first map revealed

Orayn

Wow, I did not even know it was announced!

But F2P?? They already said about it? I mean... I know every free to play game, specially high calliber like UT charge for something else. What will they charge? Just aesthetic stuff?

Epic themselves won't charge for anything directly. They're going to put out a base game for free and eventually have a community marketplace where people can give or away or sell skins, maps, and game modes they make themselves.

Where they plan to make money is taking a commission from the community marketplace, the UE4 subscriptions needed to develop stuff, and perhaps some paid resource packs for people to use in their own projects.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Looks really great. Looking forward to seeing more.

Epic themselves won't charge for anything directly. They're going to put out a base game for free and eventually have a community marketplace where people can give or away or sell skins, maps, and game modes they make themselves.

Where they plan to make money is taking a commission from the community marketplace, the UE4 subscriptions needed to develop stuff, and perhaps some paid resource packs for people to use in their own projects.
Is it realistic to expect Steam workshop support for this game?

It might also be FFA Deathmatch. I didn't listen to the whole thing.

Looks really nice. What's up with launching with TDM before DM though? Seems... Wrong for an arena shooter.

I'm still incredibly hyped either way.

Not sure where the game mode part was in the OP's vids/audio (I watched and listened to both, but didn't catch it), but pretty sure during the announcement stream they said Deathmatch is going to be the first mode, but didn't specify further. Surely it's going to be both TD and FFA.

Kssio_Aug

Oh,,that seems GREAT!!
If this works, I hope to become the new F2P system.

Great!! Sadly, by what Ive read here it seems that nothing was announced for PS4/Xone, I hope they announce it soon!

Anyway, I believe my PC can handle it well (GTX 570 + i5 2500). So I will for SURE check that out!

Anyone remember user-made maps for UT 99 called ProjectX 1.1 and ProjectX 2?

Cant wait to see what the community does with this! I hope this game is just as popular as the other amazing free game Enemy Territory.

Jawmuncher

So this is going for Unreal 1, 2K look and bit whatever the hell 3 tried to be from the look of things. Which is good the locust look of all of U3 was a big turn off for me.

This is shaping up to be my most anticipated game in a long time. If the game play is solid then it looks like I've found my go-to shooter for a good while.

Remembering UT2k4 and how much fun it was makes me wonder why arena shooters like this are not as common. I guess CoD was just so popular that everyone just gravitated towards copying that model and forgot everything else.

Orayn

So this is going for Unreal 1, 2K look and bit whatever the hell 3 tried to be from the look of things. Which is good the locust look of all of U3 was a big turn off for me.

Epic said they plan to look at the entire series for inspiration on both art and mechanics. They specifically mentioned UT99 quite a bit, so it's clear they don't want it to be left out.

Accoun

Not exactly sure that I like the design itself, but I like that they want to make it readable and all. Hopefully they'll have maps with more grit (at least remakes of the older ones) and ballance it out.

mAFcKC6.png

This is what PC exclusive FPSs look like, ladies and gentlemen.

Fractal

Banned
I'm not much of an MP gamer, haven't played anything on that front in a while now. But no way I'm missing out on UT... can't wait to see Morpheus and Facing Worlds redone in UE4. I just hope the game lives up to the promise, but I'm confident Epic knows what they're doing here!

Run-M-Run

They said this map will definitely go through many iterations so don't expect it to stay like what you see now. This is just the first map they wanted to show and even said they haven't play-tested it yet.

In the video they mentioned they want to bring a lot more visual clarity to the design of the game compared to what UT3 did with it's cinematic gears flare. It was a great looking game but definitely was a little messy. They also mentioned if the older UT games were Tim Burtons Batman then the new UT would be Nolan's Batman stylistically. More realistic and believable while keeping the core ideas intact and still being a showcase for the engine.

I really hope this won't take too long to come out. I am infinitely bored of playing Battlefield and there really aren't many arena shooters that are very interesting.

DJIzana

I'm not much of an MP gamer, haven't played anything on that front in a while now. But no way I'm missing out on UT... can't wait to see Morpheus and Facing Worlds redone in UE4. I just hope the game lives up to the promise, but I'm confident Epic knows what they're doing here!

I *really* hope that the Facing Worlds and Morpheus map pay tribute to the original UT. I couldn't stand the Egyptian themed version of Facing Worlds.

EGM1966

Strong Phobos feeling from screenshot. Like the look. Today FPS for MP tend to have so much clutter going on and unnecessary detail everywhere. Would love a clean arena shooter that flows like UT/Quake of old and hopefully this is it.

Orayn

I think this is the first time i see current gen graphics that look like proper, current gen graphics.

UE4 has very nice reflections, ambient occlusion, soft/indirect lighting, and a great materials system that differentiates different types of surfaces very well. It's almost the exact opposite of the early-gen UE3 look with excessive bloom and few surfaces other than metal, shiny plastic, or dirty.

I must be looking at different footage from everybody else. Game doesn't look impressive in the slightest, at least from what was shown.

belushy

Banned
I'd say this map could look even better at a later date. The art director said during the stream that he used assets from the games/ scenes that they've been making to show off UE4 lately. I imagine custom made pieces will look even better. I also doubt that is the is final layout, during the stream he mentioned how building up the look with assets made the map a bit cramped.

Fractal

Banned
I *really* hope that the Facing Worlds and Morpheus map pay tribute to the original UT. I couldn't stand the Egyptian themed version of Facing Worlds.
I'm sure they will... but even if not, the game is supposed to rely heavily on user-made content, so we'll see the community do the proper job.

this needs ut99 translocator and piston.
i just remember shock combo translocator punting ... memories :(

I remember getting banned from some facing world servers for redeemer launching the flag and camping the top of the enemy base and piston launching teammate flag carriers across the map to our base.

So fun lol.

char0n

As a long UT fanboy and from some of the rumors I've seen in various postings/forums along with the vid (such as "plays like UT99 with infinite walljump"), I'm going to be all over this. Time to catch up on everything around this project...

Ziffles

Looks great for a WIP. As long as they maintain that thought process with the rest of the maps and not let feature creep from their snazzy new engine get the best of them, I think everything will turn out awesome.

SURGEdude

Good god am I glad to see the return of UT and happy I have a nice PC. Epic has really stepped up their game with this free title. It seems like the gift to PC gamers who got them where they are, and it seems wonderful. Much respect.

The Cowboy

mAFcKC6.png

This is what PC exclusive FPSs look like, ladies and gentlemen.
Yep, and just think - its likely only a small fraction of PC gamers will be able to play it looking like that, as such, i really hope they do a lot of work in making the game run great as well as look great.

Krejlooc

Banned
Yep, and just think - its likely only a small fraction of PC gamers will be able to play it looking like that.

Sturgeon's law assures this is true. but the number of PC gamers who will be able to play it looking like that is not tiny or insignificant. If nothing else, my PC will assuredly run it with that fidelity.

Top Bottom