• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Interview with Mike Colter (Agent Locke, Playable Character)

905861_10152539320481023_3031782000548578005_o.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH0B1giHXPY

As new Halo info is slowly burning out from the recent panels, we should be getting a few new threads. This covers an interview with actor Mike Colter, playing Agent Locke in Halo: Nightfall and Halo 5. Locke is currently an enigmatic ONI character who will be getting fleshed out in Halo: Nightfall, and as per clarification by franchise director Frank O'Connor, the series will be independent of Halo 5 and not be "required reading" for the game. Colter is also confirmed to be doing voice acting and mocap work for his character in Halo 5, who showed up earlier this year as the bronze-armored Spartan-IV in Halo 5's first visual ID:

Who.jpg

I'm on mobile and haven't watched yet myself, but wanted to establish a thread rather than have this bit of content get lost in HaloGAF OT discussion.

HaloGAF |OT|
Halo: The Master Chief Collection Master Thread
Halo 5: Agent Locke a Playable Character Thread

So far, Halo 5's got a rogue or at least "unaccounted for" Master Chief, an Arbiter who seems like he's saying "We're screwed if we don't find the chief" and now Agent Locke who seems like he'll be a pretty good new addition to the universe.

We just need Halsey to unite the Janus key so they can accidentally rediscover the IsoDidact and a pocket of actual Forerunners, and then loop in the UrDidact from Escalation and we'll have some good stuff going.

Spartan Blue Team NEEDS to be in Halo 5

Whatever happened to Jun and the other Spartans on Onyx again?

Jun's alive and well in an Officer position training Spartan-IVs, but a majority of the Onyx Spartans are KIA as far as I know.

EDIT: I'm thinking of the original Ghosts of Onyx Spartans, whoops.

There is a typo in the OP, you put "Locke is also confirmed to be doing voice acting and mocap work for his character in Halo 5", it should say Colter.

I already am so much more interested in Locke than Chief at this point.

I really wish Chief would just die already. He's only gotten lamer and lamer, and is probably one of the least compelling parts about the Halo Universe

Woorloog

Banned
I already am so much more interested in Locke than Chief at this point.

I really wish Chief would just die already. He's only gotten lamer and lamer, and is probably one of the least compelling parts about the Halo Universe

I'm surprised there's someone else who shares this opinion. I've never been a fan of the Chief really, he isn't much of a character (and no, i don't like faceless characters, i don't put myself in their boots, i most definitely don't relate to a super soldier).

tootsi666

I'm surprised there's someone else who shares this opinion. I've never been a fan of the Chief really, he isn't much of a character (and no, i don't like faceless characters, i don't put myself in their boots, i most definitely don't relate to a super soldier).
This

LycanXIII

as per clarification by franchise director Frank O'Connor, the series will be independent of Halo 5 and not be "required reading" for the game.

I'll believe it when I play it and it makes sense.

Woorloog

Banned
Perhaps i should not that i don't necessarily wish for the Chief to die but rather become a NPC and someone mysterious. Someone who is talked about but not necessarily seen but briefly. Fade him out, you know? Especially with Cortana gone.

Locke is inherently more interesting, given that he has more personality (logically he has to have at least, since he is in Nightfall and blank characters in TV most definitely don't work well, IMO at least).
As was the Arbiter.
EDIT provided he will be likable as a character. Unlike Palmer...

The Arbiter was a better protagonist

Woorloog

Banned
The Arbiter was a better protagonist

No need to tell me that.
Just about every character but the Chief are better characters... hell, they are actual characters. The Chief was just a blank slate really.

Ironically i don't like the Chief in Halo 4 either despite him having more personality and stuff. Now he feels different from the previous games... and inconsistent. Fortunately i liked the game otherwise.

We just need Halsey to unite the Janus key so they can accidentally rediscover the IsoDidact and a pocket of actual Forerunners, and then loop in the UrDidact from Escalation and we'll have some good stuff going.

Did you just make these words up or is this actual stuff in Halo now?

No need to tell me that.
Just about every character but the Chief are better characters... hell, they are actual characters. The Chief was just a blank slate really.

Ironically i don't like the Chief in Halo 4 either despite him having more personality and stuff.
He really didnt
Fortunately i liked the game otherwise.
Unfortunately I didnt otherwise.

My far out guess is that in guardians we will play out alternating missions between locke and chief. For example lockes missions would be about following the trail of wherever chief is and then once you hit a certain point in the mission you would maybe find a clue, possibly an item or video log that would reveal the chiefs journey up to that point. Then you would play as chief on that part of his journey. Then maybe near the end of the game they cross paths and team up or fight or maybe they just dance

Does Mario ever die?

That's why.

Mario doesn't even have a story that link all the games, it's just some isolated events. Some games do have sequels, yes, but they eventually end. Not really comparable, IMO.

One thing that I remembered after doing this post is Cranky Kong, one of the few characters from Nintendo that I know who got old and eventually "retired", giving space to the modern Donkey Kong.

Woorloog

Banned
Why does he need to die/ go away?

What is there for the Chief anymore (ignoring the fact he is not much of a character)?

IMO Halo 4's ending for the Chief is actually pretty great. Perhaps the greatest hero of humankind... but utterly alone. Very tragic really. There's a possible change for him (Cortana's and Tom's words for him)... but do we need to follow him that closely? Just let him go and become a myth and a mystery for others. Just let us imagine what he might do and experience later on.
Locke and the Arbiter trying to find him make a good story, but it is one that i'd prefer to end up with them either coming up with naught, getting sidetracked and becoming heroes themselves, or if they find the Chief, him not coming back. EDIT for some reason i'm assuming the Arbiter will play a big part in Halo 5, though there is nothing indicating that this will be the case. So read what i wrote as concerning Locke mostly.

Did you just make these words up or is this actual stuff in Halo now?

tl;dr the creator of the Spartan program (halsey) found a Forerunner macguffin that splits into two pieces: the UNSC has one, and the new Covenant captured Halsey and by extension have her half of said macguffin. On top of this, the big bad in Halo 4 (Didact) has a benevolent "backup self" who's hidden away in a Forerunner installation outside the Milky Way. The original Didact got sealed away in his Cryptum (forerunner floaty ship-ball doodad) right before the Halo Array first activated, and was supposed to atone for his sins until Humanity came back into power - but his "reading material" got damaged when the rings fired, and as a result he had no getaway in stasis, driving him mad over the course of a hundred thousand years.

There's a lot of technobabble and exposition on top of that, but that's the nitty-gritty of it.

turcy

Are you actually serious.

Why can he not?

I liked Snake too, but hes dead now, is he now ruined in everyones eyes because of that?
No.
So whats your point.

this is a pretty paltry comparison.

yes, Snake might be dead, but your character still looks, talks, acts, and plays like Snake - he might as well be the same person for all I care.

if Chief dies I will stop playing Halo, simple as that.

okay, that's not true - but I would at least be very, very, very upset [for awhile, then I'd get over it].

What is there for the Chief anymore (ignoring the fact he is not much of a character)?

IMO Halo 4's ending for the Chief is actually pretty great. Perhaps the greatest hero of humankind... but utterly alone. Very tragic really. There's a possible change for him (Cortana's and Tom's words for him)... but do we need to follow him that closely? Just let him go and become a myth and a mystery for others. Just let us imagine what he might do and experience later on.
Locke and the Arbiter trying to find him make a good story, but it is one that i'd prefer to end up with them either coming up with naught, getting sidetracked and becoming heroes themselves, or if they find the Chief, him not coming back. EDIT for some reason i'm assuming the Arbiter will play a big part in Halo 5, though there is nothing indicating that this will be the case. So read what i wrote as concerning Locke mostly.
I feel like he should be done fighting after that.

In Halo 5 he shouldve gone rouge just because they wouldnt have let him retire otherwise or something, and he ran away to a distant planet to live the rest of his life in peace or something.

He doesnt have to specifically die, his story just needs to finally end, and thats just a happy ending for the guy that makes sense even with Halo 4 and what we know of Halo 5 considered.
this is a pretty paltry comparison.

yes, Snake might be dead, but your character still looks, talks, acts, and plays like Snake - he might as well be the same person for all I care.

if Chief dies I will stop playing Halo, simple as that.

okay, that's not true - but I would at least be very, very, very upset [for awhile, then I'd get over it].
All the Snakes are dead, what are you talking about. MGS5 is a prequel.

Only Raiden is still alive, unless youre calling him Snake.

I want to kill off MC in the next Halo. He's lived long enough to see himself become the villain.
After all, what do u do in a world that no longer needs you?

Ok that was a stretch, but him fading into the background is hopefully what this game is setting up. That way they can please the old halo fans & it won't be such a jarring transition

Toa TAK

Banned

IMO Halo 4's ending for the Chief is actually pretty great. Perhaps the greatest hero of humankind... but utterly alone
. Very tragic really. There's a possible change for him (Cortana's and Tom's words for him)... but do we need to follow him that closely? Just let him go and become a myth and a mystery for others. Just let us imagine what he might do and experience later on.
You know what? I actually like this idea a lot. Especially the bolded. But I would've preferred to see this done in a story that wasn't Halo 4's (even though they nailed the John & Cortana relationship), or in Halo 3's ending? I dunno, but that's pretty personal and I'd love to have seen it happen.

But Halo 5 is happening, so hopefully this game will also have some more "humanity" in it. They started off ok in Halo 4.

Kampfheld

Banned
Are you actually serious.
Ehm. In a sarcastic way, yes. Master Chief is connected to Halo. He stands as a symbol for a whole franchise. From a business standpoint it would be just stupid to let him die.
At least until that franchise gets another familiar face or symbol people can connect the IP with.

Ehm. In a sarcastic way, yes. Master Chief is connected to Halo. He stands as a symbol for a whole franchise. From a business standpoint it would be just stupid to let him die.
Well yeah, Paul Marketing would hate it, but good writing and Paul Marketing have never gotten along well

Because he's the Chief, he is essentially the icon of Xbox. It would be like Mario dying.
How is him disappearing, like you said, any different than that for Paul Marketing which we're apparently using as reasons now.

Do you care about Halo being well written, or looking at Chief more?

Theres nothing left for Chief, he's a relic.

Woorloog

Banned
How is him disappearing, like you said, any different than that for Paul Marketing which we're apparently using as reasons now.

Do you care about Halo being well written, or looking at Chief more?

Theres nothing left for Chief, he's a relic.

The Chief can be used as an icon and can be referred easily enough, even if he doesn't really appear in the game. I think.

Woorloog

Banned
Raiden talked about Snake to some of his comrades every now and then in Rising, for example.

Imagine me smiling and nodding.
That's my reaction to anytime MGS is mentioned... (and Final Fantasy. And Mario. And a whole lot of of other series).

Anyway. Locke. He is described as a leader. I wonder if this will be an actual gameplay element, or just a story thing? Will the fireteam (you could get up to 4 marines to follow you and you alone) system from Reach return but enhanced?

Top Bottom