• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a solid episode and a really great/sad revelation about
McGucket
. My only gripe would be
the society of the blind eye. Would've been much greater of a revelation if we actually saw the revealed members do something in small flashbacks like the revelation with Blendin in the backgrounds episode. With their memories wiped, we'll probably never find out now.

Highlight for me has got to be
McGucket coming to save the day and taking a memory wipe for the group which again kinda shows how sad it is to be the guy.

Hey, did you notice this?
okI3mAb.png

Crappy YT link. Pretty neat. Shame it's probably gonna be edited once the higher ups learn about this.

I fail to see why it would be edited out. It's a pretty harmless little easter egg.
If Shaun of the Dead is fine for Phineas and Ferb i'm sure this will be fine also.

Linking to an AS cartoon is pretty risky IMO but considering how quick it goes in the Rick and Morty episode, they might also just do nothing.

That SOTD cameos is still baffling to see on Phineas and Ferb.

Tuck

Great episode - McGuckett's backstory reminded me of Adventure Time - very tragic. Tease at the end was good too. Things are building, really hoping the payoff is good.

Hamlet

Synopsis for the next two episodes are out.

Blendin’s Game - 11/10/14

Blendin Blandin returns to face off with Dipper and Mabel in a futuristic battle that could trap them forever in time jail.

The Love God - 11/26/14

Mabel takes matchmaking too far when she steals a love potion from a real Love God.

NEO0MJ

Great episode. Though this does make me wonder
who the real author is. I think Stan was another assistant for that researcher, which would explain why he knows so much and why he has access to the experiments and that machine. Plus he's in the same age range as Mcguncket, though Mcgucket apears older because of how often he used the gun.

Highlight for me has got to be
McGucket coming to save the day and taking a memory wipe for the group which again kinda shows how sad it is to be the guy.

Yeah. The fact that he can take those shots like nothing because of how far gone his mind is was really sad.

SykoTech

Great episode. Wished the Society was fleshed out more though. It would have been nice if there were hints in previous episodes where characters like
Gideon's dad and Toby that horrible reporter guy
were in suspicious locations.

Or maybe they were, and I just need to rewatch. Haha.

As for the author,
it's definitely not Stan. He didn't know about the whole invisible ink thing. I'm going to guess Stan was either an apprentice or sponsor for the author, and is somehow responsible for the author's disappearance. Now he's trying to finish what was started himself. I just hope the author doesn't turn out to be Dipper and Mabel's dad or something. That would be lame.

There was that news clipping with McGucket's son on it that looked kinda like older Dipper.

I'm probably thinking too much into it.
It's probably just the hat.

RetroMG

Is this available on any of the streaming services other than Disney XD? Like Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime? I have a friend I want to introduce this to, but he watches everything through those two services.

aett

Is this available on any of the streaming services other than Disney XD? Like Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime? I have a friend I want to introduce this to, but he watches everything through those two services.

You can buy both seasons on Amazon Prime, but they're not streaming for free. It's been a godsend since my son got obsessed with the show. It's on right now...

Chariot

What about Soos grandfather? The throw away joke about him not being in heaven could also turn out to mean that he is alive and sonewhere else. For example stuck in a random dimension with Stan trying to get him back to save Mabel and Dipper from ... something.

What about Soos grandfather? The throw away joke about him not being in heaven could also turn out to mean that he is alive and sonewhere else. For example stuck in a random dimension with Stan trying to get him back to save Mabel and Dipper from ... something.

I never even thought of Soos' grandfather... I'd actually be okay with that plot twist.

KHlover

Banned
Now that we know the Machine opens portals into other Disney universes...anyone hoping the Gravity Falls team got the permission from Disney to go all out in the final and have the episode(s) be a fight/chase throughout various popular Disney series? That would be great *-*

Chariot

Now that we know the Machine opens portals into other Disney universes...anyone hoping the Gravity Falls team got the permission from Disney to go all out in the final and have the episode(s) be a fight/chase throughout various popular Disney series? That would be great *-*
Just imagine if they would use it to announce a new series. A wild chase through a lot of known running and finished series and then ... suddenly something nobody saw before. And then Stan or someone comments "Ooh, that wasn't here before.", then continue the plot and showing the official announcement for the new series afterwards.

Fun episode. The guards muting Blendin just as he goes full Lemongrab was hilarious. The stuff about Soos was a little heavy, though. Surprised we didn't get something in the stinger giving a supernatural reason for why
Soos's dad can't come and see him

Anyone else pick up on the two guys' name in today's episode?
Dolph Lundgren

Picked up on that back in Time Traveler's Pig.

Seeing the baby goat and wax Sherlock Holmes at the Mystery Shack was a real treat. Also since we now have an episode dealing with Soos' "personal biz" are we someday going to get an episode about Wendy and her family life? We know she has issues...

v1lla21

Fun episode. The guards muting Blendin just as he goes full Lemongrab was hilarious. The stuff about Soos was a little heavy, though. Surprised we didn't get something in the stinger giving a supernatural reason for why
Soos's dad can't come and see him

Picked up on that back in Time Traveler's Pig.
Lol I never paid attention to them then. I found it to be pretty funny.

Psxphile

Something akin to a carpenter, has a father that no one has seen, wields the power to create food from nothing. Shares his first name with a certain messianic figure.

Deepest Lore, dudes.

Well, now we know what happened to that tree in his yard. And also why he seems to respect Stanford Pines so much: old codger's literally a fill in for his absentee dad.

guek

Banned
I'm pretty shocked at how much the writers are willing to actually develop the characters on this show. I love cartoons and will until the day I die but it's rare to find a show aimed at kids that actually has a decent amount of progression between episodes. Adventure Time is great but it's plot moves at a crawl in comparison.

So was the only one that thought that the episode society of the blind eye was a huge homage to Hot Fuzz?
Even Blind Ivan is totally
Timothy Dalton
. I thought it was his voice until I saw the credits, and Mabel comments about his deep british voice.

Went to the gravity falls wiki and didn't see any mention of it on the trivia of the episode, so maybe im the only one seeing things.

It's even more funny after I saw the Shaun of the Dead cameo in Phineas and Ferb.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The episode was alright. I was actually expecting that the time traveler would be revealed as Zoos' dad.

I'm pretty shocked at how much the writers are willing to actually develop the characters on this show. I love cartoons and will until the day I die but it's rare to find a show aimed at kids that actually has a decent amount of progression between episodes. Adventure Time is great but it's plot moves at a crawl in comparison.
This show's plot doesn't progress that much either. I mean if it's about the mysteries of the town and the books and Stan, all that happens once in a while. Adventure Time is also a different format.

Hamlet

Great episode.
Love me some future stuff. Loved it when Dipper met young Wendy, so adorable. Plus it gave Dipper some real perspective.
"Now you know how she feels, creep."
"Yeah I huh. Wow. Wow!"
The gam-gam joke was great also. Really felt for Soos, didn't expect it to go that heavy with his backstory

Chariot

Now I am really curious how Soos family ties in the mysteries of Gravity Falls. I doubt that this is the last we heard of his father. He is occupied... but with what? This being Gravity Falls he could be stuck in something strange nearby.

Was two episodes behind, caught up last night.

Both pretty good episodes to be honest. McGucket went from that one joke character to a serious role within minutes. The Soos episode really felt like a Futurama episode in parts, enjoyed that a lot more and I'm glad it shown a side to Soos for once than wasn't lovable idiot.

Tizoc

So this line from TVTropes in the Blind Eye Society ep. is rather interesting
Bud Gleeful's (Gideon's dad) cheery demeanor in the face of Gideon's tantrums takes a darker tone after finding he willingly erased his memories of them.

Chariot

So this line from TVTropes in the Blind Eye Society ep. is rather interesting
That was the first thing I thought of. Plus, it's on possible explanation why Gideons mum went... they way she is. Although there could be - as always - more.

So, I'm about a week late, but I concur, one of GF's best...

-
Poor Soos...this also knocks out a lot of the theories I had about him. I was also thinking what if his father was the original author, but then again, at the end, Stan (at least pretends to) act as if he never met the kid before...
-
The codpiece gag...
-
Stupid question, but how many times was Blendin supposed to be punished for what happened last season? I thought that his penance was to fix all of the time anomalies. Poor fucker's tossed in jail, too?
-
Speaking of, kinda disappointed that my own personal theory didn't come true (Blendin's anger should be unwarranted since him crashing into Dipper carrying the ice could be called the first time anomaly) Also, doesn't explain his appearance at the end of "Gideon Rises"
-
No secret agents in this one, (at least I didn't see 'em)
-
Baby everybody! I'm sure you all know without saying which one was my favorite...
-
and of course, to keep the status quo, whenever there is a cute Wendy and Dipper moment, Mabel is there to say something fucking stupid to ruin it...
-
Also, anyone else notice the marked-up Gideon poster? How does Robbie know Gideon?

So news:

M2Qu9cR.png

Said to hit Disney Stores by the end of November. No clue yet on the last figure (though hints have been given about variants. I swear if they pick someone stupid like Robbie or the fucking goat over Wendy...

also, new marathon coming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPyIVeEx6QA&list=UU38Qv_0pYEdw8WL2MClJKtA

a few hints of the new episode at the end.

The missus and I came up with a few thoughts:

While at the graveyard, the kids could possibly see
the headstone of Wendy's mom's grave?
Plus, even though one might think (by synopsis) that it could be a
Wendy/Dipper episode
, think something worse, especially, since it says
Mabel screws up everything

What if, she
accidentally, gets Robbie and Wendy back together...?

6W9aNK9.gif

The ending for this episode was great and heartwarming.

True...

I cried at the site of the infinite pizza :')

My only comment about that is after a while, doesn't the pizza get cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom