• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach and Destiny -- Do they feel the same to you?

Izuna

Banned
Loading up Reach then Destiny "Beta" (360/Xbox One) and switching back again, I cannot spot much difference between how it feels using the DMR and Scout Rifle.

Obviously the two are very different games, and your preference may skew one way or the other, but a colleague of mine swears that Reach is garbage but Destiny is the shit. I don't understand how anyone could think like that.

Going between the two, I notice a feel differences in look and feel:

- Frame-pacing(?) is much better on Reach. It feels smoother.
- Character movement is tighter on Destiny, where unless you are sprinting on Reach, it feels little floatier when changing direction.

Am I wrong for thinking that Destiny feels like a Reach mod?

EDIT: I think I would prefer Destiny if there was a way to hide damage numbers and enemy health from the screen.

Halo: Reach was one of my favorite multiplayer games of all time. It's not exactly Halo as we knew it at all times and did some wildly detrimental things to the Halo sandbox, but unlike Halo 4 it was still a wholly engaging and really fun to play multiplayer title. And the campaign was sick too.

Anyway, my buddy and I were talking about this just yesterday because Reach was our most played online game together and we did get a very Reach-y vibe from Destiny. In a lot of ways the game feels more like Halo Reach than any of Bungie's other past titles to me. I think it has something to do with the FOV, the art design, and the encounter design. Not down to every last aspect of the gameplay or its feel, obviously, but there's enough similarities there for us to have noticed. I enjoy and appreciate that, though.

Defect

Reach is garbage and Destiny is shit. MP wise of course.

Movement feels like Reach, Jumping does too. You can tell Reach was the testing bed for many gameplay features. If it didn't have ADS, it would practically be Reach 2.

They dont

Id much rather play Reach PvP then Destiny's.

Reach may be extremely flawed, but it still has some core Halo elements of map control and teamwork.

Destiny is just space COD and... its boring.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Kat will also die in Destiny, but the good news is that Noble Team gets to keep the sweet loot that pops out.

Art style wise I feel like Destiny is an evolved version of Halo 3. With Reach and even ODST, there was a focus on cleaner edges and a move away from curves. Destiny on the other hand feels like a natural evolution of Halo 3--an emphasis on high quality lighting tying together clean-looking curves alongside worn scenery.

They dont

Reach may be extremely flawed, but it still has some core Halo elements of map control and teamwork.

I feel the same way but for different reasons--PvP in Destiny doesn't have the horrible gaping flaws in mechanics that CoD does but it has severe balancing issues and that moon map doesn't do it any favors. Reach MP was incredibly fun even if people didn't like the direction it took.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Destiny has all the bits I like about Halo and none of the things I hate (bullet sponge enemies and forcing you to use shitty Covenent weapons being the worst). Reach was by far my favourite Halo tho, whatever that means.

Can't wait for the release

Izuna

Banned
They dont

MP is something that cannot really be compared.

I mostly felt that the PvE in Destiny was like Reach, add a few Borderlands elements, and take away the covenant and replace them with enemies that range from useless to damage sponges, that are unable to really move out of the way of anything.

Obviously Halo has the whole Shield thing down where you are forced to incorporate energy weapons and keep your fire on Elites otherwise they recover their shields, but I think that if Elites didn't dodge, they didn't "rush you down" and had more health but no shields, it would be extremely close to how Destiny plays.

Destiny has all the bits I like about Halo and none of the things I hate (bullet sponge enemies and forcing you to use shitty Covenent weapons being the worst). Reach was by far my favourite Halo tho, whatever that means.

Pretty much, I can't argue your opinion and I completely understand it. But turning the difficulty down on Reach gets you an experience when you don't have to use those weapons.

One thing I don't like about the beta itself is that the only difficult enemies ARE massive damage sponges. I played from LV1 a bunch and the first time I decided to play on Hard with enemies much higher level. The gameplay didn't change, I wasn't playing smarter, just popping in more bullets (and Destiny RPG rules say you get less EXP from killing higher level enemies, so no rewards).

btags

Personally I do not see how people can say Destiny seems like an evolution of Reach. I loved Reach, and I like Destiny (PvE more so than PvP), but I cannot see how Destiny is similar to Reach besides the fact that it is made by bungie which results in similar asthetics.

Mumford

Having played the living hell out of Reach, I did notice that technically, Destiny is very similar & is obviously a successor to Reach in many ways, as Destiny honestly kind of feels like what Bungie wanted to make with Reach in the first place.
Also, iirc, the shotgun animations are nearly identical, and the sniper feels like Reach's sniper.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I mean the art design and gameplay mechanics have a ton of Halo feel to them. But the game structure is totally different. Halo games for me were just single player, maybe do the campaign once in local coop and barely touch the mp other than firefight daily challenges in Reach.

Destiny is a game I mainly want to play with friends and focus mainly on finding and leveling up gear to do higher level missions, raids and strikes, rather than just blowing throw a campaign. So overall the game feels very different to me despite the similarities.

Speaking about Destiny's PvE and Reach's single player campaign, no, they're not even close. If there are some similarities (and with both being FPS games made by Bungie, there's bound to be some), they're strictly superficial.

Destiny has all the bits I like about Halo and none of the things I hate (bullet sponge enemies and forcing you to use shitty Covenent weapons being the worst).

My head just exploded.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Speaking about Destiny's PvE and Reach's single player campaign, no, they're not even close. If there are some similarities (and with both being FPS games made by Bungie, there's bound to be some), they're strictly superficial.

My head just exploded.

I wouldn't read too much into it, I'm really not a Halo fan. Which is why I am surprised I like Destiny so much.

I could probably write an entire essay about what is different in gameplay with enemy encounters. Even though I don't love Reach as much as other Halo games. But are you sure he is talking specifically about the shooting itself? I think you are being too specific. Destiny has a lot of differences

Im in an agreement that Destiny feels like Reach. Especially looking back at the jetpack in Reach and now having the double jump jetpack. Its expected considering this is there next game. To tell you the truth, Destiny PvP to me feels like most Halo games outside of the first two.

Im worried Destiny's mutliplayer wont have the same crazy vehicular multiplayer moments as Halo games do. Thats what i really stuck around for in the latter Halo games.

lolwut

You are objectively wrong.

I wouldn't read too much into it, I'm really not a Halo fan. Which is why I am surprised I like Destiny so much.

That's fine, but there are more bullet sponge enemies in a single Destiny mission than in the whole of Reach. Although I guess if you played on the lower, normal difficulty, maybe you didn't encounter as many, but even then you had to run into the extra spongy bosses at some point.

Markitron

lolwut

You are objectively wrong.

Most of the enemies in Halo take more than a clip to put down IIRC, and some of them have regenerating shields. I am not having that problem in Destiny and there is plenty of ammo around for my main weapon, unlike Halo. Like I said I'm not a Halo fan so don't read into it too much. ODST and Reach were the only ones I liked in any way.

That's fine, but there are more bullet sponge enemies in a single Destiny mission than in the whole of Reach. Although I guess if you played on the lower, normal difficulty, maybe you didn't encounter as many, but even then you had to run into the extra spongy bosses at some point.

This has not been my experience at all, only the higher tier enemies are spongy and I have easy ways of taking them out. Obviously I am not including bosses in this.

rezn0r

I actually got around to returning to and finishing Reach a few weeks ago - I don't feel many similarities at all. I always loved the Halo campaigns but hated multiplayer, I love Destiny all around.

Izuna

Banned
I could probably write an entire essay about what is different in gameplay with enemy encounters. Even though I don't love Reach as much as other Halo games. But are you sure he is talking specifically about the shooting itself? I think you are being too specific. Destiny has a lot of differences

Read my post above, of course there are a world of differences, but I am simply talking about the feedback you get when walking, running and firing the DMR vs. the Scout Rifle or Jetpack etc.

The sound design is also vastly similar. Basically all of this is to be expected, but what made Reach feel different from Halo is apparent in Destiny. That's what I'm trying to get at I suppose.

It doesn't feel like Halo, it feels like Reach.

EDIT:

Very interesting so far in this thread. Subjectively, the games either feel similar or they don't. I would have expected similarities in look/feel to be something that is observed as being the same for all gamers.

Most of the enemies in Halo take more than a clip to put down IIRC, and some of them have regenerating shields. I am not having that problem in Destiny and there is plenty of ammo around for my main weapon, unlike Halo. Like I said I'm not a Halo fan so don't read into it too much. ODST and Reach were the only ones I liked in any way.
Guys I actually have to think when I shoot I dont get it.

This has not been my experience at all, only the higher tier enemies are spongy and I have easy ways of taking them out. Obviously I am not including bosses in this.
Why the fuck not, theyre an enemy.

Youre confusing so hard with your thought process right now.

Human weapons destroy flood, covenant weapons destroy shields, one headshot afterwards kills immediately. Grenades destroy everything. You complain about the ammo but that is because the game is absolutely trying its best to make you use variety with the weapons. Nobody complains about the two weapon slot limit in Halo because it makes so damn much sense. If you want to stick to one gun then the game is not for you.

Markitron

Guys I actually have to think when I shoot I dont get it.

Why the fuck not, theyre an enemy.

Youre confusing so hard with your thought process right now.

Get off your high horse, playing Halo in single player is hardly Starcraft

Izuna

Banned

Not that you have to be strategic, but you really have to know your shit if you want to solo Legendary. You will run out of ammo for almost every weapon all the time, constantly picking the best combo depending on what's ahead and attack from certain parts of the map to stop the enemies from recovering or pinning you down etc.

None of that is in the Destiny beta. Perhaps it will in the full game, but for what we can compare with, Destiny combat in PvE vs. Reach campaign is like Diablo vs. Starcraft.

No. Gunplay is much less precise. PVP is just OK.

For me, the meat of this game is the PVE and I likely won't touch the PVP if I buy this game.

jadedm17

It feels like Halo, from the vehicles to the warships shooting to protect fallen enemies if you're too close. An expansion though, certainly not.

It looks and feels similar to Halo in general, but it's faster paced with quicker kill times and less balance. Also, I don't like the grenades in Destiny half as much.

... "High Horse"? I make an asshole sarcastic comment about a person not knowing how to deal with an FPS TTK longer than 1 second and Im on a high horse?

Im saying Halo has this amazing amount of depth, in fact my sarcasm saying the exact opposite, because Im making fun of how its actually extremely easy to get.

Playing Halo, you learn very quickly that you need to use grenades and melee liberally to take down the more resilient enemies, that way they go down in practically no time. Of course, the former is rarely an option in Destiny, with the only available grenade being on a timer, and neither of those things do much damage against bosses. But again, it all depends on the level discrepancy.

bebop242

I have limited experience with Halo and that was Reach single player. When I first played the Destiny Alpha, it felt a lot like it to me. <shrug>

halo reach was quite shit but destiny takes shit to a whole different level. if this was the direction bungie was headed to with halo im glad 343 are now in charge. they screwed up halo 4 but halo 5 is sounding good so far

Well, I haven't tried Destiny and want to went it comes out. But its not such a surprise if it's similar to past Bungie games.

If it's nearly similar to Reach or Halo, than I would be disappointed. Right now it's the Destiny hype train.

Im pretty sure, like most big release games once the hype dwindles away, the hype glasses will be taken off and the criticism may pour.

It's a vicious cycle. It's not fair but that's what gamers do.

Top Bottom