• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Remastered: 30 fps option gives better shadow quality [Up: Comparison GIF in OP]

DSN2K

I presume the difference is shadow resolution, and there is quite a drop going by the comparisons. I wonder if its something ND can work on and patch later.

So yeah, I think that shadows are getting glitched. Some shadows are disappearing in 30fps mode and some are missing in 60 fps mode.
Hopefully it'll be patched.

I am sorry but I went back and forth between 60FPS to 30FPS and 30FPS is janky as fuck and feels so slow. I can't bear with it. I don't know how any of you could play in that mode. The only time I will be using 30FPS is when I am streaming the game to my Vita. By the way, playing on the Vita is fucking amazing. You should all give it a try if you own one.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am sorry but I went back and forth between 60FPS to 30FPS and 30FPS is janky as fuck and feels so slow. I can't bear with it. I don't know how any of you could play in that mode. The only time I will be using 30FPS is when I am streaming the game to my Vita. By the way, playing on the Vita is fucking amazing. You should all give it a try if you own one.
Weird I thought it was just me who felt this way! I tried the 30fps mode to see if it would feel more cinematic, but no it just felt weird.

JLeack

Banned
I just accidentally played at 30 FPS for an hour and didn't notice. I made the change to take a screenshot. 30 FPS only sucks when you toggle the setting and immediately see the difference IMO.

What's going on here?

ib0sPBSFe0lYUd.gif

Is anyone else getting a strange judder every few seconds? It looks smooth and then it skips a few frames to create a JUMP in the presentation. It happens on both 60 and 30fps options.

Also, I noticed a few weird quirks where the characters are out of place for a second and then suddenly pop into the place they're supposed to be. I notice this most on gameplay driven cutscenes (meaning a non-playable scene, but it's not a pre-rendered movie).

Tycho_b

Funny story connected to this debate.

After some time with TLOU played in 60 fps I checked on Lego Movie demo - from the moment it started, I noticed something strange, some kind of terrific judder which turned clear, sharp 1080p screen into smeary mess. When I didn't move, IQ was great but with the moment I started moving, it was unbereable.

I said 'come on' this is not like Lego Hobbit looks like, but after few minutes this effect started to faint to disappear completely after 30 mins of play. I realized then, how terrible 30 fps in Lego Movie looked compared to fresh experience of 60 fps in TLOU.

So not only TLOU looks and plays great to me, but also makes other games look worse.

Murdoch

I'm not trying to be picky but doesn't that last sentence contradict the first?

realcZk

My PS4 was roaring last night as well. (60 FPS)

Same here, probably the loudest I've heard it run to date.

30fps shadows do look a little better but wow, there's no going back for sure.

I was getting some juddering early on, I assume from FPS drops, but I haven't noticed it yet again since the first 2 hours or so. Anyone?

tuna_love

Banned
Same here, probably the loudest I've heard it run to date.

30fps shadows do look a little better but wow, there's no going back for sure.

I was getting some juddering early on, I assume from FPS drops, but I haven't noticed it yet again since the first 2 hours or so. Anyone?
Yeah I had drops at the start, it might have to do with disc still installing maybe?

Murtrod

What the hell is "janky" about 30fps? It does exactly what it says it does. It locks it at 30fps. What else do you want?

The refresh rate is weird. It feels very strange at 30 FPS compared to locking any other game. I feel like there is a kind of micro-stutter.

I don't know. Probably just me. Just wanted to share.

The refresh rate is weird. It feels very strange at 30 FPS compared to locking any other game. I feel like there is a kind of micro-stutter.

Probably because if it had started out as a 30fps game and you didn't see the 60fps version, you wouldn't think anything was wrong. But it was 60fps, so turning on 30fps would look really off-putting to you until your eyes got used to the 30fps again. Happens to me all the time. If I was just playing Battlefield 4 and I decide to boot up Assassin's Creed 4 for example... the difference is quite noticeable at first, but as I continue playing, it becomes less obvious and more natural.

JB1981

I agree completely. I don't think it is a valid comparison because I think there is something actually WRONG with the 30fps mode of the game.

Thrakier

Feeling micro stutter in 30fps games is perfectly normal after getting used to 60fps.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I agree completely. I don't think it is a valid comparison because I think there is something actually WRONG with the 30fps mode of the game.
It's your brain looking for frames where there are none. It needs a few minutes to recalibrate.

Clockwork

It's your brain looking for frames where there are none. It needs a few minutes to recalibrate.

Nah man, it feels janky. Jump to Second Son with frame lock and it's a completely better experience. Hell, I turned on my PS3 and put in TLoU and it felt better than this.

Yep, although not necessarily minutes. After switching, I closed my eyes for about 20 seconds and it felt like a normal 30fps thereafter. Considerably worse looking and playing than 60, of course, but not as insanely stuttery as it feels flicking between the two in an instant.

30 fps:
4.jpg

60fps:
5.jpg

Definitely mixed bag with 60fps. Some shadows are fine, some are blocky. It would be very easy to cherry pick good and bad at 60fps, but the smooth gameplay more than makes up for the few blocky shadows.

Probably because if it had started out as a 30fps game and you didn't see the 60fps version, you wouldn't think anything was wrong. But it was 60fps, so turning on 30fps would look really off-putting to you until your eyes got used to the 30fps again. Happens to me all the time. If I was just playing Battlefield 4 and I decide to boot up Assassin's Creed 4 for example... the difference is quite noticeable at first, but as I continue playing, it becomes less obvious and more natural.

This explains it for the people finding 30fps stutter. It only feels that way for maybe a minute right after switching from 60fps. Obviously most noticeable when you pan, but after a couple of seconds (for me) my brain adjust and it feels normal.

To me it's kind of the opposite though, 60fps is the one that feels present. Like my brain is constantly thinking of the frame rate when it's in 60. Not that feels bad, because it doesn't, but I'm always conscious of it.

One thing I will say is that slight visual differences between 30 and 60 are really negated by the doubled frame rate...the game is smoother and better looking whenever it's in motion, and only tends to look better at 30 whenever you're completely still, so opting to play this game at 30 on account of the shadows would be demented.

In the past, I'd have asserted that 30 is a good trade off for improved visuals, but I'd now say that the difference in image quality would have to be substantial - think massively increased effects, resolution and image quality or Xbox One Sniper Elite style tearing at 60 - for me to take the lower refresh rate. Never for a few bells and whistles.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nah man, it feels janky. Jump to Second Son with frame lock and it's a completely better experience. Hell, I turned on my PS3 and put in TLoU and it felt better than this.

Now you're just full of it. No way did the 20 something average and all over the place framerate on PS3 feel better than a locked 30....

vpance

I'm glad it isn't just me thinking this because the 30 locked setting feels way more choppier than it should.

d9b

Banned
What's going on here?

ib0sPBSFe0lYUd.gif

Hitting the release date deadline is going on here, that's what.

"Yu (Naughty Dog’s graphics coder Corrinne Yu) also mentioned that while she’s proud of the engine optimization done on The Last of Us Remastered, she wishes she had more time to work on the graphics."

There's quite a few things that need fixing. Is there any official word on a patch?

Top Bottom