• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...is Sony ever going to fix the share feature?

Kinda nuts when this is one of the main features they sold the system on.

It still doesn't work properly for me and several friends I know. Can only save the last 15 mins sporadically, I'd say at best about 50% of the time. And I've tried all the 'fixes' online, including caching the hard drive.

Has Sony given any update on this? It honestly seems like they have not said one word about it. I thought with all these 'stability updates' that surely one of them would address the issue, but nope. Nothing.

SSReborn

It was working for me ever since the last patch. But it messed up just now again. Iunno if it's cuz I actually turned off my console for once instead of putting it into standby.

Baliis

It works well for me as long as I only try to save it at certain times. Mid destiny match as I wanna save something I just did? Perfect. On the results screen after the match? Nope, can't save it, plus it clears the recording so if I try again after I go to orbit its just the few seconds it took to open the share menu.

They should also fix moving stuff over to an external device. It's currently broken.

What's wrong with it? Been doing it all week to move my recordings and screenshots to my PC.

They also need better share options. Not just Youtube, but sharing with friends/on their own Youtube-like service.

I saw some Xbox stuff, and besides no screenshots, the sharing looks a lot better on Xbox. I also really like that you can instantly capture the last few seconds of an Xbox clip, which seems infinitely more useful than what Sony is doing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I barely ever use it but when I do, it records. I see little use for it right now as it is. That's mainly because I'm back on a stock launch HDD vs the 1TB which I sold on GAF.

jwk94

It works well for me as long as I only try to save it at certain times. Mid destiny match as I wanna save something I just did? Perfect. On the results screen after the match? Nope, can't save it, plus it clears the recording so if I try again after I go to orbit its just the few seconds it took to open the share menu.

What's wrong with it? Been doing it all week to move my recordings and screenshots to my PC.

I try to copy my stuff over the first time and it says "10 seconds" then crashed the OS. I have to do it twice to get it to work.

Thoraxes

I'd like for the snapshots to be instantaneous and have no latency so I can actually capture all of my cool moments and not the 5 seconds after it.

I'm sure they're going to acknowledge they're planning on looking for a way to have a team investigate the possible problems with the share feature soon.

They also need better share options. Not just Youtube, but sharing with friends/on their own Youtube-like service.

I saw some Xbox stuff, and besides no screenshots, the sharing looks a lot better on Xbox. I also really like that you can instantly capture the last few seconds of an Xbox clip, which seems infinitely more useful than what Sony is doing.

Since they use Facebook, like other services do, to pass on liability of content ownership I doubt this will happen.

Symax

Watchdogs, Destiny, Battlefield 4... i think the share function might have a problem with online games.

I barely ever use it but when I do, it records.
The-Most-Interesting-Man-in-the-World-239x300.jpg

Gaz_RB

I have lost so many super sweet Destiny moments over the past few days because of the schizophrenic nature of the share button.

Not that the world really needed another shitty montage, but still.

The fact they are so quiet about it, really annoys me.
I think MS is doing one hell of a job with their update - and communicating about the features

I'd like for the snapshots to be instantaneous and have no latency so I can actually capture all of my cool moments and not the 5 seconds after it.

If you press share it takes an instant screen shot. Holding the button takes like 4 seconds.

Also I always just double tap to start my recording and try and keep tabs on 15 mins. It should have a timer that pops up at like 30 seconds so you can pop into share square to save and start a new one.

This. We will never get the recording and suspend/resume features Sony promised at the reveal.

I'm still fuming over the yosp tweet that revealed that it wasn't a planned launch feature. It doomed that feature since that moment. That's not the kind of thing you can splice together later. How the fuck do they expect every game ever released on PS4 to be forward compatible with a feature that saves the exact state of that game?

I'm being optimistic when I say that thing is coming out at least two years into the PS4's life and will be forever filled with bugs and half-assery. When Sony gets it right, they get it right the very first time (see Vita's suspend/resume function) and it works perfectly. When they "kinda sorta later" do it it's always shitty and it never works 100% (way too many to list. Just...way too many).

DJ88

Yup, I've lost several great moments because of it. And manually starting the recording doesn't help at all. The original idea of it always recording the past 15 min was so that when something unexpected happens, you'll always have that moment. I can't be bothered with hitting record and trying to predict when something worth saving is going to happen

It was one of the main selling points with a physical button in the controller. It should be one lf the best features.

People are buying it regardless though, and it doesn't seem like anybody is really giving them hell over it. So I'd imagine Sony has bigger fish to fry from their perspective.

People are buying it regardless though, and it doesn't seem like anybody is really giving them hell over it. So I'd imagine Sony has bigger fish to fry from their perspective.

Its really annoying since that useless button is there wasting space for a feature that doesnt even work properly. If youre going to dedicate a damn button to the mostly pointless feature at least make sure it works.

Sanpei

I set it like last 5 min record...

It's good..Rarely, i dont see save clip button but when i try again it'll be there....

Maybe the problem is with 15 min setting ?

I just got a PS4 a month ago. Can someone explain how the share button works? If something cool happens in a game, I'll press the share button and save the video, but the video is like 15 minutes long. I just want to save the past 30 seconds or so, but I can't figure out how to do that.

I set it like last 5 min record...

It's good..Rarely, i dont see save clip button but when i try again it'll be there....

Maybe the problem is with 15 min setting ?

No is broken even with the lowest setting. The save clip button will be there if you go in again but it will have only recorded the footage since you closed the menu last.

i think i fixed it for me!!

you have to delete all your Upload notifications in your "dashboard" !!

i deleted all and now it worked for me 2 out of 2 times!
before it didnt work for like 2 months!

Screenshots always worked.

No is broken even with the lowest setting. The save clip button will be there if you go in again but it will have only recorded the footage since you closed the menu last.
Game menu or system menu?

Games can set a marker to wipe and begin a new recording, so for example at the start of a level it can set a marker and you then have a tidy starting point for your recording.

If it is happening in a game menu then it is possible some games are over zealously putting markers everywhere.

pelican

My console never records the last 15 minutes. I can't remember last time it worked.

I'll try setting it to 10minutes or 5 minutes to see if it helps.

This is a prime example of Sony not really delivering the goods with the PS4. This feature should be robust.

pelican

I just got a PS4 a month ago. Can someone explain how the share button works? If something cool happens in a game, I'll press the share button and save the video, but the video is like 15 minutes long. I just want to save the past 30 seconds or so, but I can't figure out how to do that.

You edit it.

The PS4 doesn't have a "xbox record that" feature where it will grab the last 30 secs.

Another one of these threads. Never failed for me (including the last 15 mins auto record) which makes me wonder if it's a faulty chip in some batches?

Fliesen

also, whenever someone's complaining, you get plenty of people "explaining" that it's working for them and people having problems are only using it wrong

even worse, some just say "yeah, just start your recording in advance", which is even worse, seeing as "xbox record that" works flawlessly (cmiiw)

GutZ31

My console never records the last 15 minutes. I can't remember last time it worked.

I'll try setting it to 10minutes or 5 minutes to see if it helps.

This is a prime example of Sony not really delivering the goods with the PS4. This feature should be robust.

I don't rely on the auto save at all.
Every time I wan't to save something, I actively start the save before doing the action on screen.
This defeats the purpose completely, but its what I have found works best in its current state.

Quickly double pressing the share button will start the video recording function, and pressing it, then pressing square will save what you just recorded.

Needless to say, they need to fix this.

Game menu or system menu?

Games can set a marker to wipe and begin a new recording, so for example at the start of a level it can set a marker and you then have a tidy starting point for your recording.

If it is happening in a game menu then it is possible some games are over zealously putting markers everywhere.
Share menu. It doesn't have anything to do with game markers. I let Watch Dogs idle and after 15 mins the save video clip button disappeared. Then I went into the share menu and it had the button for the next 15 mins, then it disappeared again.

Basically constant recording of the last 15 mins doesn't work.

Top Bottom