• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Persona 4 Golden

VegiHam

Overall? Probably Dojima. Such a likable character.
Poor guy had a tough life.

Girl-wise?
Rise. Sorry, haters! :)
Best girl right here
it's impossible NOT to date her how can you just leave her crying and not hug her. I did it by mistake but then I didn't want to cheat on her so she became my girl

Just started this myself...

...why the fuck did I wait so long?

Definitely one of, if not the best, Vita games I've played. A proud addition to my Vita library.

Figments

Having played Persona 3 Portable before Persona 4 Golden, I can say without a doubt that I kinda wish Atlus had decided to make a female protagonist route in P4G. It was such a great experience going from the male protagonist to the female protagonist and experience all the changes.

Just finished this myself. Such a great game. I wish Persona 3 got this treatment, but I will go through with finishing P3P.

Just got the regular ending and started a new game +. Also got a bad ending. Will save the true ending for another day.

So, I am at
Yukiko's Castle
, on my
first day of being able to explore the town and having a time limit
. I jumped straight into the dungeon, but I am finding myself wanting to grind.

Any pointers on what to do once you've been given the freedom to roam around the town? Should I have put off the dungeon and done something differently? I'm not entirely certain how much time I have before I could potentially end the game. What weather icon am I looking for, exactly?

//ARCANUM

I have a question about getting the true ending-

I'm about 30hrs in and I generally don't like playing with guides/walkthroughs/etc.

But I'm curious about the way the true ending works in this game though. After I beat the game, let's say I don't get the true ending, will I be able to jump back in and do some different stuff and then get the true ending? Or will I be locked in based on what I did 30 hours prior and have to start all over and make different choices? Or do I need to make sure to have multiple save files at a certain point and then just repeat the last 5 hours or something to change the outcome?

I'd really like to be able to get the true ending and have an understanding of how I can achieve this without getting too story spoilery if that makes sense.

Thanks!

So, I am at
Yukiko's Castle
, on my
first day of being able to explore the town and having a time limit
. I jumped straight into the dungeon, but I am finding myself wanting to grind.

Any pointers on what to do once you've been given the freedom to roam around the town? Should I have put off the dungeon and done something differently? I'm not entirely certain how much time I have before I could potentially end the game. What weather icon am I looking for, exactly?
I would personally recommend getting the dungeons out of the way within a single game-day. That way, you're able to maximize the amount of opportunities to do social links and other non-combat things like jobs, reading, grabbing some noodles, etc.

Also, yeah it kind of sucks trying to figure out when the fog actually comes in and gives you a game over, so I'd say just look up the days online.

I have a question about getting the true ending-

I'm about 30hrs in and I generally don't like playing with guides/walkthroughs/etc.

But I'm curious about the way the true ending works in this game though. After I beat the game, let's say I don't get the true ending, will I be able to jump back in and do some different stuff and then get the true ending? Or will I be locked in based on what I did 30 hours prior and have to start all over and make different choices? Or do I need to make sure to have multiple save files at a certain point and then just repeat the last 5 hours or something to change the outcome?

I'd really like to be able to get the true ending and have an understanding of how I can achieve this without getting too story spoilery if that makes sense.

Thanks!
There will be a point that determines which ending you get, and the game lets you save there and straight-up tells you that your following decisions are extremely important, and to be careful. You can look up a non-spoiler guide if you'd rather not experiment with it; it's not exactly easy to figure out what the right choices are.

//ARCANUM

There will be a point that determines which ending you get, and the game lets you save there and straight-up tells you that your following decisions are extremely important, and to be careful. You can look up a non-spoiler guide if you'd rather not experiment with it; it's not exactly easy to figure out what the right choices are.

Awesome! Thank you for the info, that helps a lot!

playXray

Pretty much agree with everything the OP says. I was totally new to the series when I got P4G earlier this year but I'm definitely a fan now. Gotta say though, the dungeons are some of the most boring I've ever gone through in a JRPG. It's just as well that the rest of the game is amazing enough to make up for it.

//ARCANUM

I need some help here. I'm currently in December and have some questions:

I'm on december 9th right now and I just found out that to get the epilogue you have to Max out Marie's social link. Well I currently have her at 3... so I'm quite a ways off. Is it even possible with the amount of time I have left to max her out and be able to get the epilogue? Right now my plan is to try and spend every day I can with her to attempt this. Please let me know if this is impossible.

Also,

Should I be forgetting about Marie at this point? Do I need to be dungeon crawling non stop in order to fight Adachi? When is the last day I have? I've heard December 24th, is that true? What happens if I hit December 24th and I'm not powerful enough to beat him? Do I have to go back to an earlier save?

Thanks for any and all help!

abrack08

I need some help here. I'm currently in December and have some questions:

I'm on december 9th right now and I just found out that to get the epilogue you have to Max out Marie's social link. Well I currently have her at 3... so I'm quite a ways off. Is it even possible with the amount of time I have left to max her out and be able to get the epilogue? Right now my plan is to try and spend every day I can with her to attempt this. Please let me know if this is impossible.

Also,

Should I be forgetting about Marie at this point? Do I need to be dungeon crawling non stop in order to fight Adachi? When is the last day I have? I've heard December 24th, is that true? What happens if I hit December 24th and I'm not powerful enough to beat him? Do I have to go back to an earlier save?

Thanks for any and all help!

Not sure about maxing the Marie link. I was maybe rank 5 or 6 at the spot you were, and I was able to max her in time. It's worth a shot at least, make sure you have an Aeon Persona with you for extra points.

The deadline to fight
Adachi IS December 24th, but if you wait until that day you'll miss a Christmas related scene. If you want the Christmas scene, you have to beat him by December 23rd. Also, if you defeat him earlier, the game will skip ahead and you'll lose the rest of the time you had. As far as beating Adachi goes, I think he's generally considered not-too-hard. If you've been able to beat all the bosses so far, he's not much different/harder. If you wait too long, you'll get a game-over and the game should rewind, I think a week?

//ARCANUM

Not sure about maxing the Marie link. I was maybe rank 5 or 6 at the spot you were, and I was able to max her in time. It's worth a shot at least, make sure you have an Aeon Persona with you for extra points.

The deadline to fight
Adachi IS December 24th, but if you wait until that day you'll miss a Christmas related scene. If you want the Christmas scene, you have to beat him by December 23rd. Also, if you defeat him earlier, the game will skip ahead and you'll lose the rest of the time you had. As far as beating Adachi goes, I think he's generally considered not-too-hard. If you've been able to beat all the bosses so far, he's not much different/harder. If you wait too long, you'll get a game-over and the game should rewind, I think a week?

awesome! thank you! one more question:

is there a dungeon you fight through before getting to Adachi? Or do you just go straight to battling Adachi?

Certinty

I hate turned based combat so the dungeons were a chore for me. But besides that I absolutely loved this game to death, both the story and characters were simply top notch. Providing Persona 5 also has a very easy mode where you can't die in combat, I'll be getting it.

//ARCANUM

I hate turned based combat so the dungeons were a chore for me. But besides that I absolutely loved this game to death, both the story and characters were simply top notch. Providing Persona 5 also has a very easy mode where you can't die in combat, I'll be getting it.

I don't hate turn based combat, but the dungeons have been a bit exhausting at times. I regret not putting the game on very easy mode when I started. I care most about the story and characters and least about the dungeons.

I'm hoping Persona 5 will also have a very easy mode, but nothing will keep me away from that game.

//ARCANUM

Well I have reach frustration town in Persona 4 Golden. And I think I might have screwed up so bad that I actually won't be able to finish the game without re-doing 10+ hours.

so I beat adachi and thought that was the last dungeon/boss of the game. Because the characters kept saying that was the last boss/dungeon of the game lol. Stupid of me to believe them. So in that 2 months after,8 never once went back into the tv, thinking why would I? There's no more bosses/dungeons. Well now I'm on the true ending path and I get to the real final boss - izanami. I beat the first form no problem whatsoever. The second form one hits me before I even have it 1/4th down on health every time. I've already spent about 5 hours grinding (my main is currently lvl 77). And I can fuse personas because I'm on the last damn day!!! So my best Persona is currently a lvl 74 jinn. And I read online about how you should just use "debilitate" and this persona and that persona and basically a ton of stuff I don't have at all. I leveled up all my characters focusing on offense and have had zero problems until literally the ending. The only way I can go back is to undo 10 or more hours of gameplay. And even then, have I screwed up 50 hours ago and now can't win? Or should I just keep grinding and get up to level 90 or more? I still won't have the right skills to protect myself but will the high level be enough?

Gaffers! Please help me finish this game. I just want to see the ending. I have loved the experience until this point and it is souring the whole thing for me.

Lemstar

Well I have reach frustration town in Persona 4 Golden. And I think I might have screwed up so bad that I actually won't be able to finish the game without re-doing 10+ hours.
Just grind some more. There's no time constraint there or anything - as long as you're killing quickly enough and getting enough SP back from Shuffle Time, you can level as much as you want.
I went from 80-95 just before the true ending boss on my first playthrough to finish the compendium - it wasn't bad at all.

//ARCANUM

Just grind some more. There's no time constraint there or anything - as long as you're killing quickly enough and getting enough SP back from Shuffle Time, you can level as much as you want.
I went from 80-95 just before the true ending boss on my first playthrough to finish the compendium - it wasn't bad at all.

But that will definitely be enough? I'm not crippled by my previous
poor
choices?

//ARCANUM

I did it. I DID IT! Took me 73 hours, but I beat Persona 4 for the first time and stayed spoiler free the whole way through. I started playing August 2013 and finished in August 2014. Without a doubt the most rewarding gaming experience of my life.

I'm especially proud of myself as I have a bad habit of never finishing long games. I've been making it a point to finish games recently and not let myself try another until I finish what I'm on (unless I just don't like it).

Persona 4. What a beautiful game.

thenexus6

I got a vita today and bought P4 right away (been wanting to play it forever). Not played many JRPGs so looking for some tips for this game specifically. I have seen the P4 anime and been watching some of the newer Golden one. Any heads up about S-links and what they are exactly?

Afrocious

I put 300 hours in P4 on the PS2. I couldn't even get halfway through P4G, and I wish I had as much investment as others in this thread did.

I don't get it :(. The changes in P4G were that good?

I put 300 hours in P4 on the PS2. I couldn't even get halfway through P4G, and I wish I had as much investment as others in this thread did.

I don't get it :(. The changes in P4G were that good?

The bolded is probably the issue. If you're new, or only played through once or even twice the changes are really cool and add to the game. But if you've played through 300 hours on the original, I could imagine being pretty burnt out on the game even with the new stuff. I mean, I remember by the end of my third playthrough of P4G I had clocked around 180 hours, which is significantly less than what you clocked for the original.

HabeeNo

Loved this game. Went in blind (even though i got spoiled while playing), and it became one of my top 3 games of all time, Will begin an Izanagi only run tomorrow :)

#TeamChie

PS: Using the opportunity to thank GAF for recommending this during the time that the game was $20 (I wasn't even approved yet, and gave it a shot just for the hell of it. Best decision ever. I LOVE YALL!)

Afrocious

The bolded is probably the issue. If you're new, or only played through once or even twice the changes are really cool and add to the game. But if you've played through 300 hours on the original, I could imagine being pretty burnt out on the game even with the new stuff. I mean, I remember by the end of my third playthrough of P4G I had clocked around 180 hours, which is significantly less than what you clocked for the original.

I suppose, though I only beat the game three times myself. I spent a lot of extra time with the S.Links and doing optional stuff.

Just started this, and it's the first true JRPG I've played since probably FFVIII. I set the difficulty to normal. Was that a mistake? I'd rather not get too bogged in grinding (since that's one of the reasons I've stayed away from JPRGs) and I already like the setting, tone and characters quite a bit, so I figured normal would provide a decent challenge but still allow me to move through the game at a decent pace. Should I change it to easy (or even very easy)?

Xeteh

I got a vita today and bought P4 right away (been wanting to play it forever). Not played many JRPGs so looking for some tips for this game specifically. I have seen the P4 anime and been watching some of the newer Golden one. Any heads up about S-links and what they are exactly?

Social Links are built by hanging out with friends/classmates outside of school. If you see them standing around with a "!" over their head that means you can spend time with them. Each link represents a certain persona arcana (Chie is Chariot, for example) and once you bring it to L10 you can fuse that arcana's ultimate persona. Links for your characters also give them abilities in dungeons. They'll take a hit for the MC if its gonna kill him (single target only), they can survive a hit that would kill them once a battle, sometimes when you knock down an enemy they'll ask if its their turn and attack if you allow it. Stuff like that and some other stuff I won't spoil.

The links level faster if you're carrying a persona of the same type when you spend time with them as well. So have a Chariot if you hang out with Chie or a Magician with Yosuke for example.

Hope that helps, sorry if its unclear.

Just started this, and it's the first true JRPG I've played since probably FFVIII. I set the difficulty to normal. Was that a mistake? I'd rather not get too bogged in grinding (since that's one of the reasons I've stayed away from JPRGs) and I already like the setting, tone and characters quite a bit, so I figured normal would provide a decent challenge but still allow me to move through the game at a decent pace. Should I change it to easy (or even very easy)?

Normal isn't bad, there's a boss fight early that can be tough your first time through but it did get nerfed in Golden. If you're really not wanting to do much fighting and just want to go through the story, feel free to turn it down especially if you aren't far in.

Social Links are built by hanging out with friends/classmates outside of school. If you see them standing around with a "!" over their head that means you can spend time with them. Each link represents a certain persona arcana (Chie is Chariot, for example) and once you bring it to L10 you can fuse that arcana's ultimate persona. Links for your characters also give them abilities in dungeons. They'll take a hit for the MC if its gonna kill him (single target only), they can survive a hit that would kill them once a battle, sometimes when you knock down an enemy they'll ask if its their turn and attack if you allow it. Stuff like that and some other stuff I won't spoil.

The links level faster if you're carrying a persona of the same type when you spend time with them as well. So have a Chariot if you hang out with Chie or a Magician with Yosuke for example.

Hope that helps, sorry if its unclear.
You forgot that links also give an automatic xp boost when fusing personas of their arcana. The xp boost is higher as you level up the s. link, but even at level 1 you'll still gain a level (And the xp is relative to how much is needed to level)

Xeteh

You forgot that links also give an automatic xp boost when fusing personas of their arcana. The xp boost is higher as you level up the s. link, but even at level 1 you'll still gain a level (And the xp is relative to how much is needed to level)

Duh, I forgot the best part. Thanks for pointing it out.

thenexus6

I'm about 4 hours into the game just reached the point where I can start spending my free time as I please. Game seems quite overwhelming with so much to do.. any tips or anything I need to know?

I started this a year or so ago and got about 30 hours deep, but I've forgotten everything so I'm just starting over. Gonna make sure I actually complete it this time around.

Think I'm going to go Easy. I feel oddly hesitant to do it, in most games I tend to start wtih whatever is one notch above Normal, but I don't have the patience for JRPGs that I used to have and I'm hoping to avoid burning myself out if I encounter much grinding.

Top Bottom