• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Udon's game art books announcement at Comic Con (Ace Attorney DD etc)

Oh neat, you wanna give us the inside scoop on how you guys go about choosing which books to bring over? Any stories about something in particular you tried hard to get that just wouldn't work out?

(for the love of YHWH can we get a single kazuma kaneko book over here, i promise you it would sell dozens of copies)

Sorry, I really can't share many details on that... only that we really DO listen to all the requests we get on our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and it all just comes down to rights and how difficult they are to get ahold of. Licensing deals can literally take years to go through sometimes, so in the cases that it just seems like we're ignoring fan requests, it's usually just that we've been trying to get ahold of the rights and it's just taking an incredibly long time (or, alternatively, we tried and it just didn't work out). Good examples of this are the Breath of Fire book and the Evangelion books.

Not really allowed to divulge stories about properties we tried to license but couldn't - sorry!

Labrys

Man I love art books. Currently only have the Atelier Rorona, Persona 4 and 999/VLR ones but I'm gonna look into getting the Dual Destinies one.

randomkid

Sorry, I really can't share many details on that... only that we really DO listen to all the requests we get on our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and it all just comes down to rights and how difficult they are to get ahold of. Licensing deals can literally take years to go through sometimes, so in the cases that it just seems like we're ignoring fan requests, it's usually just that we've been trying to get ahold of the rights and it's just taking an incredibly long time (or, alternatively, we tried and it just didn't work out). Good examples of this are the Breath of Fire book and the Evangelion books.

Not really allowed to divulge stories about properties we tried to license but couldn't - sorry!

haha yeah that's exactly what i figured, nice to hear it confirmed though. licensing is always the dumb issue in all media!

kevm3

We need that Xenogears Perfect Works

The Ace Attorney art book will be mine.

Edit:

And coun´t me in if you guys do a reprint of the first Ace Attorney artbook.

The Ace Attorney art book will be mine.

Edit:

And coun´t me in if you guys do a reprint of the first Ace Attorney artbook. This thing is so incredibly expensive.

Actually, we haven't officially announced this, but I've been given the go-ahead to talk about it: we ARE reprinting the original Ace Attorney book for release around the same time the Dual Destinies book drops! Even better: the original book was released before my time at UDON, and we're aware the book has some typos and other errors, so I'm going to be going over it anew, fixing all the mistakes in the original printing and generally making it the best English version of the book ever released!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Actually, we haven't officially announced this, but I've been given the go-ahead to talk about it: we ARE reprinting the original Ace Attorney book for release around the same time the Dual Destinies book drops! Even better: the original book was released before my time at UDON, and we're aware the book has some typos and other errors, so I'm going to be going over it anew, fixing all the mistakes in the original printing and generally making it the best English version of the book ever released!

That sounds really good. Too bad I already imported the books a short while before Udon announces the English version way back then. =/ bummer

here's a request for a MM X and MM Zero reprint though...

Setsu00

UDON's editor here! Hope you guys are hyped about our SDCC 2014 announcements. I just finished wrapping up my work on the Border Break art book, and all I can say is that if you love mechs, you've got to see this book. It's fantastic.

Can't wait to get started working on the Dual Destinies book!

Also of possible interest to you all: Breath of Fire Official Complete Works drops in October. :D

I'll probably get the Dual Destinies book, so thanks a lot!

Anyway, is there a reason the Catherine artbook never came over? I was really looking forward to that one.

That sounds really good. Too bad I already imported the books a short while before Udon announces the English version way back then. =/ bummer

here's a request for a MM X and MM Zero reprint though...

Mega Man Zero will definitely be getting a reprint at some point - it's just a matter of when! Similarly, I'll be going over that one again too to make it perfect.

Mega Man X, on the other hand, definitely won't be getting a reprint, but that's only because it already has in the form of last year's release of MM25, which combines the Mega Man and Mega Man X books into one massive tome with new content from Mega Man 9 and 10 and new interviews!

I'll probably get the Dual Destinies book, so thanks a lot!

Anyway, is there a reason the Catherine artbook never came over? I was really looking forward to that one.

Again, licensing issues. Sorry -- we tried (and are still trying, as far as I know). :(

ArtHands

Mega Man Zero will definitely be getting a reprint at some point - it's just a matter of when! Similarly, I'll be going over that one again too to make it perfect.

Mega Man X, on the other hand, definitely won't be getting a reprint, but that's only because it already has in the form of last year's release of MM25, which combines the Mega Man and Mega Man X books into one massive tome with new content from Mega Man 9 and 10 and new interviews!

Again, licensing issues. Sorry -- we tried (and are still trying, as far as I know). :(

That's another bummer but I understand that I am in the minority though...I am collecting all video game art books, and Zero and X are the only remaining MM books from Udon that I have yet to procure (I already have MM25, MM and MM Star Force. Battle Network is in my amazon shopping cart currently). Guess I'll get a 2nd hand for MM X and wait for MM Zero reprint then.

Glass Rebel

oh boy oh boy.

I'm probably going to get Border Break and I'm excited for Breath of Fire but Mega Man Zero will be an instant purchase.

TnK

Interested in the Borders mech book, and Dual Destinies
The borders mech book looks the best though.

UDON's editor here! Hope you guys are hyped about our SDCC 2014 announcements. I just finished wrapping up my work on the Border Break art book, and all I can say is that if you love mechs, you've got to see this book. It's fantastic.

Can't wait to get started working on the Dual Destinies book!

Also of possible interest to you all: Breath of Fire Official Complete Works drops in October. :D
Hey, I'd like to ask, how often do you guys do reprints?
Also, will we get Capcom Works in english as well, or is that a no go?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why wouldn't they give permission to Udon if they ain't gonna do it themselves? There's no reason at all for not giving Udon to translate the artbook of a game that is quite hit worldwide.
This is Nintendo.

Yasumi

Banned
Think I'll go for the Layton fanbook. After The Unwound Future, the series is always going to hold a special place in my heart.

Also, MaverickHunterAsh, could I recommend looking into Grimoire Nier? I'd love to have it in English.

Amani

Dat DD artbook bra. That's my shit.

Dunno what Border Break is, but I see mechs and that's enough for me :D

mucc

Border Break Artworks (2014 Dec)
BorderBreaksArtwork.jpg

Holy shit, i have no idea what border breaks is, but this is BEAUTIFUL!!
How can japan always come up with these crazy detail bullshit mech design!

gpn

I'll be on-board for most, if not all, of those.

Some recent artbooks I've gotten from Japan that I'd like to see Udon pick up are Fire Emblem Awakening: Knight of Iris, GRIMOIRE NieR, Xenoblade The Secret File MONADO Archives, and the massive Danganronpa Reload 1-2 (I need to know what those pantsu checkpoints say).

JazzmanZ

Will this one also include some of the missing concept art sketches that are in the Japanese one?

That's another bummer but I understand that I am in the minority though...I am collecting all video game art books, and Zero and X are the only remaining MM books from Udon that I have yet to procure (I already have MM25, MM and MM Star Force. Battle Network is in my amazon shopping cart currently). Guess I'll get a 2nd hand for MM X and wait for MM Zero reprint then.

Aw, I understand your pain - MMX OCW is VERY hard to find now. :( Good luck!

oh boy oh boy.

I'm probably going to get Border Break and I'm excited for Breath of Fire but Mega Man Zero will be an instant purchase.

Yeah, we expect the MMZ reprint to sell very quickly once it's out - we've gotten a lot of requests for it!

Hey, I'd like to ask, how often do you guys do reprints?
Also, will we get Capcom Works in english as well, or is that a no go?

It really just depends on sales and how much we have on our plate at the time. For example, The History of Sonic's first printing sold really well but it took us awhile to do a second printing because we had a lot going on at the time. For Dark Souls, we've already done two printings and are about to do a third, because sales have been absolutely insane and we have the resources to do it. Same goes for the MM25 softcover!

This is Nintendo.

Nailed it. :(

Oh well. Keep up the good work though! I really enjoy your releases :).

Thank you!

Think I'll go for the Layton fanbook. After The Unwound Future, the series is always going to hold a special place in my heart.

Also, MaverickHunterAsh, could I recommend looking into Grimoire Nier? I'd love to have it in English.

Absolutely, I'll make sure our editor-in-chief knows about it! But the best way to make sure your request is visible is to leave it on our Facebook and Twitter - we really DO check them and refer to them when deciding on new licenses, I promise!

Same, but only with a good translation. If they do what they did with the Kiseki books, no thanks.

I do apologize for those. A lot of things got out of hand with those books, and due to various scheduling issues and other unforeseen circumstances, I wasn't able to edit those books myself (and I wish I could have). Everyone who did work on those books did their best, but they were just victims of really unfortunate circumstance. At the very least, if you look at that versus nearly all of our other releases (especially those in the last few years), you'll see that those books truly are the exception and that none of our other books have turned out like that. I'm not saying one makes up for the other, but we wouldn't have the reputation we do if all our books turned out like that. Again, my apologies for the situation surrounding the Kiseki books.

I have Eyes of Bayonetta, which UDON brought over here. Incredible book.

Thank you! We worked VERY hard on that book and Platinum certainly held us to a very high standard when we were localizing it (which we appreciated). :)

Do prices vary or do UDON have a standard price for their artbooks?

Our softcover books are generally $40, though those with a higher number of pages or exclusive slipcovers/dust jackets can rise to $45 or $50. Our hardcover books are generally $80, with con exclusives like last week's UDON's Art of Capcom: Complete Edition with Joe Ng's exclusive dust jacket going for $100.

Some recent artbooks I've gotten from Japan that I'd like to see Udon pick up are Fire Emblem Awakening: Knight of Iris, GRIMOIRE NieR, Xenoblade The Secret File MONADO Archives, and the massive Danganronpa Reload 1-2 (I need to know what those pantsu checkpoints say).

Thanks for the recommendations! We're already going after Fire Emblem (it's very difficult) and I've already brought up the Xenoblade book to our editor in chief, but if you could leave all those requests on our Facebook and Twitter, it'd certainly help their chances!

Will this one also include some of the missing concept art sketches that are in the Japanese one?

I can't say I know for sure as I wasn't around when we originally localized the Ace Attorney book (so I wasn't aware of any missing art), but I'll try to find out for you!

Takao

Banned
It's not really an artbook (though it features a lot of art), but I'd like to see this in English one day:
QbcfPf5.jpg

ArtHands

I agree with these recommendations, along with MGS Peace Walker and ZoE HD. The reason I haven't purchased these books yet is because I am waiting (till next year Comic Con) for an announcement from Udon.

I am considering selling my copy of Layton x PW artbook now because I have a feeling Udon will be announcing an English version in the near future, especially after the Layton fanbook and Ace Attorney DD artbook announcement.

I´m like a month late with my reply, but thank you so much.

Shutupandtakemymoney.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh, didn't know we had someone from Udon on GAF. That's great. I own 15+ Udon books, and I love them all.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Dual Destinies artbook. I already have the original Ace Attorney book, but if they're doing a reprint, I may just sell mine and get one without the typos.

Even though I've already bugged you guys on Twitter and Facebook about it before, I'm going to just reiterate that I'm looking forward to the Devil May Cry 3142 Graphic Arts Book. Please open pre-orders soon!

Top Bottom