• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad gaming habits you have that you'd like to improve on

What are some bad gaming habits that you have that you'd like to improve on? (It's almost as if I asked the question in the thread title!)

Mine would be I'm always trying to buy and move onto the next game without having throughly experience my current one or even going back to one of my old favorites because I just feel like I'm wasting my time doing that. The reality though is I'll probably have more fun replaying the good old game than the shitty new one.

BPoole

When I buy Pc games, I launch them right away to make sure the run properly, if not, I endlessly search until I get them running right. After I get it running right, I throw it in my backlog and most of the time never even get around to playing it

I no longer buy every game that is on a crazy sale or that interests me slightly, I just get the games that I KNOW I want and will play, it's going great so far.

Vortex566

Stop buying games I know I will never play and finish.

It got to the point where I had around twenty 3DS games which were still sealed.

I tend to go a couple hours deep into a game, swap it out for another and pick it back up in a week or two.

I've started collecting fairly recently and I'm worried that it's going to eventually teeter into hoarding.

Glass Rebel

I need to get better about playing JRPGs. The genre is so rich that it's easy to get overwhelmed and I'm guilty of starting multiple games, get several tens of hours into them and struggle to wrap them up. Not for a lack of interest but simply because they tend to be hard to get back into. I'm playing over 10 JRPGs right now. :/

Hatchtag

Banned
Backlogs.
Not seeing how people could get burnt out on a game, then getting burnt out on a game. Infamous, Infamous 2, Diablo 3 without ROS and Titanfall are all recent examples of this.

-Switching too quicly to a new game (while I'm actually enjoying the game I am currently playing)

-playing the same portion of a game 25 times without actually saving (on purpose). It makes me think I have some psychological issues ;-)

Typically, I can't play most single player games longer than. 30 - 45 minutes before quitting to play another game for a similar amount of time.

Wools

Neo Member
I read, write & discuss games more than actually play them.

I spend more time having a game on my Amazon wish list than play it.

I find it easier to play a racing game on Time Trial mode than get stuck into the career as most games have terrible AI. When a game has great AI such as any of the Codemasters racing titles, I get into my old habit & just play TT.

I used to be such a collector, but eventually selling my collection back in 2006, I now find it hard to hold onto anything. I tend to only have 1 console under the TV & 1 or 2 retro consoles tucked away. However when I get bored of my console under the TV, I feel I have to sell it to buy something exciting. However, I think my current line up of Xbox 360, PlayStation & Nintendo 64 will keep me honest!

Seligrafo

If a game doesn't grab me early, I'll quit.

This also applies for getting a game over early on. I tend to get fed up with games with checkpoints more and more these days.

-MD-

I tend to have a hard time following a game's story sometimes, I have no problem in a tv show or a movie but when it comes to a 10-40 hour game that takes me weeks to finish I seem to forget a lot of stuff in between sessions.

Not even sure if this counts but, I guess I could remedy it if I played through entire games in 1-2 days but I can't really force myself to do that. Or maybe it's just cause most stories in games suck pretty bad, I'm sure the weed doesn't help matters.

What was I talking about again?

Smashing my controllers in sport games.

Been here my friend. Lost 2 Dualshocks, 1 Gamecube pad, and 2 360 pads. It's a dumb habit, and it's expensive as fuck. I think I stopped round about the time I became a poor student and if I smashed my last good controller, I basically wouldn't be able to play my Xbox. It's also embarrassing when you have people round for multiplayer and you have to give them the pad with the disintegrated bumper buttons.

Ashkeloth

I keep completing the main story or missions of games, alongside all time-limited side missions, but then I drop the game, telling myself that I'll go back and do everything I need to 100% complete the game later. Monster Hunter-style games are my worst offender with this as a lot of the time I leave it so long that I forget vital system mechanics or how to properly fight certain monsters.

Inversely, in open world games, I find myself doing all of the side content available before even touching story missions. Recently, Watch_Dogs was really bad for this, particularly because the side missions in that game are plentiful and mostly boring.

I also repeatedly buy new multiplayer games, playing through their usually lackluster single player offering, try out the online portion and think it's really good, before shelving it telling myself I'll go back later when I have less of a backlog. I rarely do and if I do, everyone else is usually so much better than me that ti's no longer fun.

One bad habit I got over recently is buying a new game and ignoring the one I was just playing leaving a trail of half-completed games behind me. Turns out having less money fixes this problem really well.

Babyshams

Playing games 50%-75% of the way through and then stopping. I used to always play start to finish now I find myself always stopping playthroughs and starting back up especially in JRPGs can be really tough because you forget how you were leveling characters or what sidequests you were doing.

Buying games before I've finished the ones I have. I think this ties into the one above it not only makes me stop playing games before I've beaten them but is also a waste of money because I could most likely wait and buy the game at a discount later.

Cheating. I'm older and not as good at games as I used to be and I don't have as much time either so I look for any advantage I can get. I play games mostly for the story and characters anyway so it really doesn't hurt anybody. I just wish I could be good at games again so I didn't have to cheat.

noquarter

Need to spend more time playing games than looking for them. I tend to get in the habit of getting X game in my collection at X price and spending way to much time trying to make it happen. When I get the game, it just goes on a shelf, don't even play it.

Also need to get better at making sure that all my games are put up and sorted correctly. This is more from constantly moving (3 moves in 2 years) but I have games in the wrong case, cases that are empty with the game in a CD case etc. Just need to get back in the habit of keeping a clean and healthy game collection.

Quit buying PC games. I have a GOG account with like 60 games on it, and I've played two of them. Steam has like 40 games, and I've only played three of them. I don't game on PC, since I haven't bought a desktop, but I keep telling myself I will. So, buy these games on sale, than they sit on virtual shelves.

Genryu

Banned
Not finishing games. It's gotten to the point where once the main story is complete I consider the game done.

The only exception has been Platinum games, which manages to scratch that certain itch.

laxu

• Going thru every nook and cranny trying to find items or collectables. I really like it when game developers actually put hidden items in somewhat reasonable places rather than just randomly at the edge of a level. Altgouh in Last of Us I was at times disappointed that there wasn't anything to be found by sweeping every corner.
  • Playing side missions before main ones, for the fear that if I don't they'll disappear as I advance in the story. Usually this means that by the time I get some new weapon or whatnot in the main story I'll be like "meh, I got much better stuff already from the side quests."
  • Getting seriously hooked on roguelike or open world games. I think I have probably like 200 hours on modded GTA IV, 100 in each Fallout game and about 60 in FTL as the latest addiction.

Fredrik

As many others have said, I tend to buy too many games and play/finish too few games. Probably have 20 retail games on the shelf that has never been opened and 50 digital games that has never been started or even downloaded after purchase.

espher

Getting pissed off at poorly-playing randoms in public servers or MMO PvP instances.

I really need to narrow my scope of rage to the poorly-playing randoms that think they know what they're doing and talk mad shit while getting worked.

I also need to stop being a 100% completionist in games because I don't have the time anymore. I'm getting there in that I won't hunt everything out, but I still can't skip optional content that I know exists or ignore stupid collectables on the ground.

-Buying too many non-must have games and inflating my already ridiculous backlog.

-Being too stringent on playing games to completion before picking up a new one.

-Save scumming my way through VC games. Actually, I kinda like doing this as I have zero time to play these games straight up.

Dr. Buni

I need to stop selling my systems. Though the only one I really regretted selling was the 3DS (and I already bought a new one lol).

Number_6

I have quite the backlog. I also lose interest in games now faster than ever before. This leads to me starting a new game before the old one is finished, or even half way done.

I also enjoy fighting games, but really suck at them. I have a tendency to panic and just mash like crazy instead of thinking things through.

Solidsoul

Banned
I feel compelled to "get into" every game I hear more than 3 people talk about it seems. Sometimes I just do not like a game because it's not for me but I still force it.

There is just something about seeing people passionate over a game or series and wanting to be a part of it.

Stopping in the middle of an RPG to play something else, then coming back some time later and starting all over because I don't remember what was happening.

Blinck

Mine would be I'm always trying to buy and move onto the next game without having throughly experience my current one or even going back to one of my old favorites because I just feel like I'm wasting my time doing that. The reality though is I'll probably have more fun replaying the good old game than the shitty new one.

I feel the exact same way.
I'm always rushing to finish games so that I can get on the next one. In the end I feel like I didn't properly enjoy the game because in the back of my mind I had this pressure of finishing it.
It's just so stupid. Like you said, I also need to go back to old favorites. When replaying a game I won't probably feel this pressure since I'm replaying it on purpose.

In fact, I might do just that today - I've been wanting to replay the whole Bioshock series so I'll start right now! :)

jacobeid

Banned
I remember aspects of the gameplay more than any story itself. I don't think that is uncommon however.

Over the past two years I've done an excellent job at only buying games that I know I'll play. I used to be really bad about this.

wiggleb0t

Banned
+1000 for buying excess games for backlog.
Leaving my portables on sleep for sometimes a week+ without being touched. Probably better to turn them off for conserving battery.

In FPS games I always have the tendency to try and see if I can shoot to kill ai/teammates in hope of solo play & justifiably wanting to push out of the box. Need to realize that it will never result in a cool different misison scenario etc... :|

theWB27

Smashing controller syndrome...although I've become MUCH better at it. Sometimes after a game downright pisses me off....seeing that controller crumble was my way of getting back at a machine that didn't know I just eliminated a way to play it.

Opposite of others who have backlogs....I have this thing where I will beat a game as fast as possible. I remember getting Zelda OoT....filled with a ton of anticipation for it. Got it on Christmas and it was beat before noon the next day. Shenmue...4 days. Uncharted 2 n 3....the first day I got it.

Basically, since I don't really do MP, I could get much better value renting games.

PigzFly

Finishing the main campaign of most single player games in a few extended sittings, then never touching it again.

This leads to the loss of most memories about a game, the most recent example being Watch Dogs: all I can remember is that a man named Aiden has a smartphone that can hack parts of Chicago and wants to help his sister. Everything other detail about that game is a blur to me. I have often thought about taking notes while playing a game which might solve some of this.

The games that I have retained the most knowledge about are from my childhood when I had more time to spend with a game.

What it comes down to is: I want to have more memorable experiences in games. To do this I need to limit the number of games I play and take more time playing through, replaying and appreciating each one.

Smashing my controllers in sport games.
As someone who finds themselves playing purely this genre more and more as time goes by, this. Last gen I broke two controllers, once while playing Fifa and once while playing Madden by throwing them to the ground in frustration. I don't get angry. I am a super easy going person with a normal amount of patience and very rarely get upset. However, the cursing, spewing of pure hatred and fire pours out from some unknown forgotten hole in my mind the second I boot up any sports title.
Screw anyone here that does not skip prematch cutscenes/after scoring celebrations online. You are the root cause of my anger.

I keep restarting my old favourite games instead of advancing my backlog of new games.

I keep starting my old favourite games and end up playing only partway through them, and when I come back to the game, I start a new game instead of continuing an old save. It's really hard for me to go back to an old save I barely remember what I was doing with the character. So I end up playing the starting bit to death. (The Irenicus' dungeon syndrome)

I keep playing games that require little attention so I can also watch youtube at the same time. Makes starting games that require concentration very difficult.

I keep save-scumming too much.

I keep playing rpgs with the same old character archetypes and find it hard to try anything new.

I keep replaying games and go through all the pointless loot and sidequests I could just as well skip.

Sande

I have huge issues getting excited about games. I have been in PlayStation Plus since December and Tomb Raider and X-COM are the only games I've managed to beat. With most of the games I haven't been able to build enough interest to even try them out.

freddy

Banned
Inadvertently spoiling myself on gameplay elements and storyline because I want to play the game without flaws and/or with mods.

Seanspeed

Banned
I no longer buy every game that is on a crazy sale or that interests me slightly, I just get the games that I KNOW I want and will play, it's going great so far.
I think I'm finally getting a handle on this myself. Its really difficult on PC.

I keep playing rpgs with the same old character archetypes and find it hard to try anything new.
That's one I'm definitely guilty of, too.

Especially with the Souls games recently. I want to branch out a bit, but I'm so comfortable playing the way I do(melee with medium weight weapons and a 100% shield) that I'm scared to go through the learning process of trying out an alternate style.

Mexen

Focusing on one game at a time until I complete it. And I mean complete it. Every secret. Every trophy.

End result: it takes too long for me to get to newer games. I would like to just finish the game for the plot and move on or maybe play 2 - 3 titles whose genres can correspond to my mood/ state of mind at any given time.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Stop buying games I know I will never play and finish.

That was mine, but I've pretty much made that change by committing to sticking with just PS4 and Vita and only buying games I'll start immediately and plan to play until finished.

I'm also giving games shorter leashes and not forcing myself to finish things I'm not enjoying. Better to sell it and move on to something I like more.

Top Bottom