• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

Too tell you the truth I am temped to sell my PS4 back and switch back to Xbone just because of MCC, Sunset Overdrive and density would all be possable. While my PS4 still get less use than my gaming PC or EVEN my PS3(Ace Combat Infinity) .

I'm still going to get the PS4 bundle, but getting an Xbone will put a big dent in my wallet... I need that Sunset Overdrive and MCC, though. This year is too good for me to handle.

Bravo123

Neo Member
This is a fps in a shared world, not a fully blown rpg or mmo. We've already seen enemy variety. Old Russia has the basic Hive and Fallen, the moon introduces Ogres and Shrieks into the mix, I'm sure we'll see more as we progress.

There is currently a very good amount of enemies for an fps, and we've only seen partial sections of two of the game's areas.

The Ogres and Shrieks are in Old Russia as well, in a Hive site with level ?? enemies.

That's 2 planets with identical enemies which is really disappointing.
I was hoping for vastly different enemies per planet.

You must be the real Henry Gale. The fake one had a lot of fun playing against other "players" :)

Haha, I actually very VERY rarely purchase anything that isn't a MP game. I didn't say I don't look forward to that. It's the PvP. Destiny has been up until now sold as this big story FPS game. Not a FPS PvP game.

I can not wait to do Co-OP it might be one of my favorite things to come out of last gen. I just didn't enjoy the PvP in destiny, the gunplay and balance isn't anywhere near what Halo offers. If this was meant to be a big PvP FPS they have done a terrible job selling that point. Most of my friends in the Beta were shocked it even existed.

Too tell you the truth I am temped to sell my PS4 back and switch back to Xbone just because of MCC, Sunset Overdrive and density would all be possable. While my PS4 still get less use than my gaming PC or EVEN my PS3(Ace Combat Infinity) .

I had both at the start of the Gen, almost canceled my Xbone. Then found I wasn't playing it, so far my Xbox One time has been all TitanFall, PvZ GW and Peggle 2. I did sell my PS4 but kept my PS+ and have been redeeming the free games. I will do that through the next year, and probably pick one up in another year somewhere around holiday 2015. By then I'll be able to get a great deal, and have tons of games ready to play form the two years of + redeeming. :)

Also Evolve this fall ( not MS exclusive I know, but fuck it looks fun)

No? it's what has been done for years now, since mid last gen as a game developer yourself you should know that. It is fact. We all should be used to DLC running wild it's not new anymore. However... I will apologize to you if I have offended. Me swearing was in no way at you believe me. It's a bad habit I have in dropping the F bomb in posts here on GAF and in party chat.

You haven't been here long enough to know that of me yet or played games with me and that's not on you at all but me. So sorry for that. We are all friends here, I was in no way trying to ram my views on anyone but like others before me here, merely state how I personally felt in my experience with the Beta and what I think is yet to come as it's a little too early to make some of the OTT assumptions I have seen here.

I'm not shutting anyone's valid concerns down at all, just saying... wait and see.

I glossed over some of your points because a lot of what you have said was already covered in my first post. I truly do not feel the need for a debate as I really was clear in what I said the first time.

No hard feelings man, but I'll leave it there.
Roger that, bro. No hard feelings at all. I do understand the DLC blemish on the face of our passion but I still won't condone or support that business model. As a super-small-time-noboby-knows-me-dev I refuse to go down that path and support an industry that will eventually collapse because of all the piecemail garbage flying around -OR- I'm totally wrong and people won't fight it and it will continue to grow until my favorite hobby is destroyed with ticker-tape advert borders ala Idiocracy and paying for time to access content that expires unless you cough up more dough (we are dangerously close). I honestly don't know what will happen as my crystal ball is in the shop with parts on intergalactic back order so my opinions are concerns laden with sadness as to where the industry could possibly be headed and I speak from that point of view.

Sorry if I was a bit harsh earlier, man.

Zakalwe

Banned
The Ogres and Shrieks are in Old Russia as well, in a Hive site with level ?? enemies.

That's 2 planets with identical enemies which is really disappointing.
I was hoping for vastly different enemies per planet.

Why were you hoping that?

This game is comparible to Halo more than an MMO, and it's currently in line with Halo for enemy variety.

I don't know, I'm managing my expectations differently I suppose.

Beta, not all areas uncovered, etc...

Nodnol

Given how much effort and time I sunk into the Beta, and how much I enjoyed it, I'm not overly worried about the content.

If it's literally the bare bones that's been posted, then I'm happy.

I enjoyed the areas available in the Beta, but I found myself obsessed and focused on my character more. There were a whole host of weapons, armor, shaders, emblems etc left to discover, and then there's items linked with specific factions that require specific requirements to earn. We earned crafting items with no way of utilizing them too, so I'm fairly confident that there's enough meat on the bone day one to sell me the game.

Witcher 3 looks great but if their promises of tons of exploration and you can go touch everything off in the distance falls threw then you bet people will be pissed they touted that in the first place. Just like people here are pissed that bungie stated "you can go touch those mountains" and "each planet is the size of halo reach" when it wasn't true. Sure we can say PR speak, don't trust developers, etc but If we can't trust them when it comes to providing us information about their game then we need to start calling them out on their BS so this cycle doesn't continue.

Thing is, you're just making up the parts you want to allign with your own decision. Bungie did say that we can touch mountains which we can't however whether or not each planet has an area the size of Reach does still remain to be seen, you can't confirm either way until the game is out, yet you seem intent that you're correct.

Don't get me wrong, I know many are pissed about this still, but lets at least be pissed at things we know rather than blurring the lines.

oldnick

Banned
Remember that World of Warcraft requires a subscription, this does not.

So in order to obtain equivalent content delivery, you will pay the 'subscription' as 'DLCs' every 6 months, it sounds fair to me.

There must be a lots of salaries/support/maintenance/dev behind something this heavy.

Trickster

Thing is, you're just making up the parts you want to allign with your own decision. Bungie did say that we can touch mountains which we can't however whether or not each planet has an area the size of Reach does still remain to be seen, you can't confirm either way until the game is out, yet you seem intent that you're correct.

Don't get me wrong, I know many are pissed about this still, but lets at least be pissed at things we know rather than blurring the lines.

If Old Russia is as big as all the combined levels as Halo Reach, those 3 locked off areas are gonna be fucking huge. Because the current Old Russia doesn't feel close to the size of the combined levels of Halo Reach

You say to be pissed about things we know, but that is the very thing about his post you are downplaying. We should be pissed that they lied to us and gave us expectations that were false.

So in order to obtain equivalent content delivery, you will pay the 'subscription' as 'DLCs' every 6 months, it sounds fair to me.

There must be a lots of salaries/support/maintenance/dev behind something this heavy.

Sure there will be a brick shit house of money made by micro transactions? Aesthetic stuff?

Pretty sure there was even a game screenshot at one point...

EDIT: Found it.
Destiny-7.jpg

This pic in particular is in the screenshots section of the destiny website as well, along with other shots that appear to be other Earth areas.

This game is comparible to Halo more than an MMO, and it's currently in line with Halo for enemy variety.
Besides that both are scifi shooters i dont see much thing Halo and Destiny have in common. The whole weaponhandling is more like modern military fps in Destiny, Halo is much more about hitting with very few precise shots and the plasma vs shield, bullets vs health weapons.

Zakalwe

Banned
Besides that both are scifi shooters i dont see much thing Halo and Destiny have in common. The whole weaponhandling is more like modern military fps in Destiny, Halo is much more about hitting with very few precise shots and the plasma vs shield, bullets vs health weapons.

Well obviously, but I said it's more comparible to Halo than an mmo.

Trickster

This pic in particular is in the screenshots section of the destiny website as well, along with other shots that appear to be other Earth areas.

I'm pretty sure that's a screenshot from Venus or Mars. Probably venus given the rain

Well obviously, but I said it's more comparible to Halo than an mmo.

Minute to minute the gameplay is definitely more Halo feeling than mmo feeling. Overall game design is practically ripped from an mmo though. I mean you're gonna be doing what you do in WoW, farm dungeons and raids for gear, while grinding reputations and doing pvp.

That mmo design is also why people are spending 40 hours in the alpha and beta, game is setup so people spend time farming and grinding

jem0208

Pre-ordering is always a poor decision for any game unless you can get it cheap. So you are ahead of the game, good on ya.

I have only ever pre-ordered Halo titles since 2. Because I know for a fact I will enjoy them.

Pre-ordering brand new-ips seems silly to me. Even if they're from an extremely trusted dev such as Bungie. I suppose it's a little different with Destiny because we've had an extended chance to play the game.

epmode

Have you played an MMO? This isn't an MMO. It's barely doing more than Guild Wars 1. Which is fine, honestly, but comparing Destiny's scale to WoW or Planetside 2 is a little silly.

Game felt pretty mediocre in the beta. I hope I'm proven wrong with the final release. My expectations have dropped a lot.

Yeah I definitely don't see this game reaching a 90 on Metacritic, it's Okay, not terrible, but also nothing new, faction rep, level walls, it's using a very old and seriously fucking tired MMO model, I would have liked it as a free to play with aesthetic micro transactions, going to be hard justifying forking out $60 for this.

Well I was just trying to showcase why people would be pissed about witcher 3 and relating it to this instance. People are pissed Bungie lied though which is something we know and can confirm.

The reach thing we can't confirm of course but seeing as the current beta content of Old russia felt a little bigger than the first playable lvl of reach I'm not gonna hold my breath. It's just how I see it though I'd rather be skeptical and proven wrong than trust a company that lied to me and be proven right.

Zakalwe

Banned
Minute to minute the gameplay is definitely more Halo feeling than mmo feeling. Overall game design is practically ripped from an mmo though. I mean you're gonna be doing what you do in WoW, farm dungeons and raids for gear, while grinding reputations and doing pvp.

That mmo design is also why people are spending 40 hours in the alpha and beta, game is setup so people spend time farming and grinding

Of course.

My point was that the actual gameplay is more halo than mmo, the minute to minute stuff, and that kind of gameplay, imo, doesn't require the same kind of enemy variety as a fully blown mmo.

For a start, encounters themselves can vary wildly depending on the combination of enemies, whether they use vehicles, what the terrain is like, etc... so simply saying "enemy variety is too low" for the beta content from a pure numbers basis doesn't take enoguh in to consideration.

I think we've got a pretty great selection of foes so far, if this is all we get it'll be disappointing sure, but I very much doubt this is all we'll get.

Yeah I definitely don't see this game reaching a 90 on Metacritic, it's Okay, not terrible, but also nothing new, faction rep, level walls, it's using a very old and seriously fucking tired MMO model, I would have liked it as a free to play with aesthetic micro transactions, going to be hard justifying forking out $60 for this.
MMOs usally have a subscription fee, cant see how just spending $60 is an old MMO payment model?

Danis

Neo Member
Pretty sure there was even a game screenshot at one point...

EDIT: Found it.
Destiny-7.jpg

The URL for this image when Bungie released it was literally Venus.jpg. It came up in other Destiny threads on NeoGaf as a "withheld location" and it was pretty much proven to be Venus.

Also, there will be enemy variety. Seems to me it will be Hive/Fallen on Earth/Moon and Vex/Cabal on Mars/Venus.

Dabanton

Which is why I can happily skip this game. farming and grinding hold no interest at all and if the ranks were sped up in the beta there's going to be a lot of grinding. Also pvp is hot garbage in this. That would have been a hook for me but it's terrible.

Of more concern to me the content in the beta was severely lacking in actual excitement for me. I mean they had us collecting wiretaps for gods sake. I get the feeling that's what a lot of the in game side content is going to be badly thought up and tedious collect 6 of these type missons,now they can work if the world is interesting but from what I've played of Old Russia and the Moon so far, I don't think that's going to hold up.

None of the exploration so far feels either fun or mysterious.

Trickster

Of course.

My point was that the actual gameplay is more halo than mmo, the minute to minute stuff, and that kind of gameplay, imo, doesn't require the same kind of enemy variety as a fully blown mmo.

For a start, encounters themselves can vary wildly depending on the combination of enemies, whether they use vehicles, what the terrain is like, etc... so simply saying "enemy variety is too low" for the beta content from a pure numbers basis doesn't take enoguh in to consideration.

I think we've got a pretty great selection of foes so far, if this is all we get it'll be disappointing sure, but I very much doubt this is all we'll get.

That I agree with. Though I wouldn't mind seeing some unique encounters. For instance I think the end boss in Devil's Lair is wholy underwhelming in terms of the design of that fight. It's just a beefed up eyeball, backed up by endless waves of fallen enemies. A one of a kind enemy would have been nice, especially since it turns out that there probably aren't all that many strikes in the game afterall.

If the raid were to also have the bosses be upsized versions of normal Vex units with bigger dmg and more hp, then that's be immensely dissapointing.

Which is why I can happily skip this game. farming and grinding hold no interest at all and if the ranks were sped up in the beta there's going to be a lot of grinding. Also pvp is hot garbage in this. That would have been a hook for me but it's terrible.

Of more concern to me the content in the beta was severely lacking in actual excitement for me. I mean they had us collecting wiretaps for gods sake. I get the feeling that's what a lot of the in game side content is going to be badly thought up and tedious collect 6 of these type missons,now they can work if the world is interesting but from what I've played of Old Russia and the Moon so far, I don't think that's going to hold up.

None of the exploration so far feels either fun or mysterious.

My biggest problem with the game, outside of only 4 zones. Is the exploration, it's non existant, there's absolutely no reason to bother exploring. The game gives you practically zero rewards for doing so, the exception being the 5 golden chests per zone, but that's nothing. Old Russia and The Moon are both completely devoid of things to find. I kept walking into abandoned moonbases on the moon, that were just empty copy paste rooms. It's truly dissapointing, and makes little sense given that one of the things that Destiny is about, is rediscovery of human civilization.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
MMOs usally have a subscription fee, cant see how just spending $60 is an old MMO payment model?

Some people have some outdated misconceptions about mmo's. No the vast majority of mmo's don't have subscription fee's even those that did have largely f2p.

Subscription fee's are now the rarity not the norm. WoW is pretty much the major last bastion of a successful subscription mmo.

Marvel

could never
Roger that, bro. No hard feelings at all. I do understand the DLC blemish on the face of our passion but I still won't condone or support that business model. As a super-small-time-noboby-knows-me-dev I refuse to go down that path and support an industry that will eventually collapse because of all the piecemail garbage flying around -OR- I'm totally wrong and people won't fight it and it will continue to grow until my favorite hobby is destroyed with ticker-tape advert borders ala Idiocracy and paying for time to access content that expires unless you cough up more dough (we are dangerously close). I honestly don't know what will happen as my crystal ball is in the shop with parts on intergalactic back order so my opinions are concerns laden with sadness as to where the industry could possibly be headed and I speak from that point of view.

Sorry if I was a bit harsh earlier, man.

iswqKLJdJEJqA.gif

It's all forgotten my friend.

I totally get what you're saying also. Clearly we're both very passionate about our chosen hobby. GAF is like that ^^

renitou

I really enjoyed the beta, and I hope that what's in the main game won't disappoint me for a lack of variety (environments, enemies). The truth for me though is that I'm purchasing this game as a co-op experience first and foremost, so even if Bungie made poor decisions with key aspects of the game, playing with friends allows me to overlook a lot.

S'pose you could make an argument that any co-op game would do, really. This one just has an enormous amount of mindshare, thanks in no small part to a massive marketing budget at the Bungie branding. Whatever!

Fehyd

Banned
Some people have some outdated misconceptions about mmo's. No the vast majority of mmo's don't have subscription fee's even those that did have largely f2p.

Subscription fee's are now the rarity not the norm. WoW is pretty much the major last bastion of a successful subscription mmo.

To be fair most f2p mmos have microstransactions, and lots of them.

Zakalwe

Banned
That I agree with. Though I wouldn't mind seeing some unique encounters. For instance I think the end boss in Devil's Lair is wholy underwhelming in terms of the design of that fight. It's just a beefed up eyeball, backed up by endless waves of fallen enemies. A one of a kind enemy would have been nice, especially since it turns out that there probably aren't all that many strikes in the game afterall.

If the raid were to also have the bosses be upsized versions of normal Vex units with bigger dmg and more hp, then that's be immensely dissapointing.

Yeh, I agree. Hopefully the bosses will be imaginative, and the encounters themselves interesting.

We've only seen two so far, one was unique and one was a beefed up standard mob, so it could go either way...

Here's a fun exercise, take a pen, and a piece of paper, now write down all the global mechanics of Destiny, and <Insert MMO>, and compare them the two!

Grinding Faction Rep (MMO Grinding)
Level Cap > Skill
level Zones.
Daily limits.
Purchasable mounts (MMO Grinding)
Purchasable loading screens ((Ships) See above)
Pets (Grinding)

The biggest problem this game is facing isn't the lack of variety, it's the lack of skill, after you hit max level cap it's going to be an absolute snorefest while you wait for the next expansion just like, *GASP*, any MMO out there.

These mechanics are bog standard MMO mechanics, please don't try to spin it any other way, I wasn't talking about the damn payment structure, I was talking about the mechanics.

Z3M0G

Maybe there is a reason behind it

Unless you have played through the whole story, you can't really say why Old Russia is there as a starter for us

I mean the 3 areas literally blocked off from players have weird undertones of something being kept there and secrets to unravel
I mean one area of Old Russia is named Seraphim Vault (It's within the Bunker RAS-2 area)
Look at this map:
z6WGZkZl.jpg

Look at the legend of the map and see areas you can't visit or areas cockblocked by higher level mobs that can eradicate in you 3 seconds

So will all these missions / activities take place in the same large map? Or are some of these unique zones that you can't access from the larger area that you can freely explore? Do they just drop you off at different locations of the same map, depending on which mission / activity you are doing?

Yeah thats the current way most MMOs work. But when refering to a kind of "the old and tired MMO model" the first thing in my mind is subscription based MMOs.

Norns

Here's a fun exercise, take a pen, and a piece of paper, now write down all the global mechanics of Destiny, and <Insert MMO>, and compare them the two!

Grinding Faction Rep (MMO Grinding)
Level Cap > Skill
level Zones.
Daily limits.
Purchasable mounts (MMO Grinding)
Purchasable loading screens ((Ships) See above)
Pets (Grinding)

The biggest problem this game is facing isn't the lack of variety, it's the lack of skill, after you hit max level cap it's going to be an absolute snorefest while you wait for the next expansion just like, *GASP*, any MMO out there.

These mechanics are bog standard MMO mechanics, please don't try to spin it any other way, I wasn't talking about the damn payment structure, I was talking about the mechanics.
You don't play MMOs it sounds like. MMOs tend to open up at max level.

But for the 100th time. Destiny isnt a MMO.

A10Pilot

I spent a couple hours with the beta and hit level 8. In that short time I had already traversed over the same ground several times. My pet peeve. I'll still want to play this later but not for full price. Backtracking just kills a game for me. I still haven't played a lot of games like some zelda titles because of it.

On the positive side with Destiny, UI and music were top notch! Hope to get a soundtrack for it as I wait for the sale.

You don't play MMOs it sounds like. MMOs tend to open up at max level.

But for the 100th time. Destiny isnt a MMO.

100th time? Do you mean you've repeatedly lied to people about this game not being a tiny MMO? Shame on you, sir.

Joe White

I'm still going to get the PS4 bundle, but getting an Xbone will put a big dent in my wallet... I need that Sunset Overdrive and MCC, though. This year is too good for me to handle.

I have similar situation; too many friends picking Destiny for PS4, so that's almost 600€ worth of purchases for one game (449€ for PS4, 99€ for Destiny and 15€ for 3 months of PS+). And in November I must get the X1 for MCC collection, so that is another 600€.

Anyway, after the beta, I believe that Destiny provides enough content and enjoyment for couple months that is required to justify the purchase.

My concern with Destiny content isn't so much the sparsity, its the handling of the levels versus an open world.

- Does it have more playable areas than Borderlands 2, or 1, comparable to player height? If so, say so.
- How often do we return to the same play areas? Is it for 5-6 missions each or constantly, like Monster Hunter?
- Does the main story really make us go back to the Tower to level up and decrypt locked items - can't we progress through the game without it? If so, what hub elements haven't we seen?

Borderlands is an open playfield in segments with teleportation.
Monster Hunter is a hub town with a very limited playfield.

Why... why don't I know what Destiny is like yet?

sora87

This has gone from pre-order to wait for price drop for me, or even wait for game of the year edition with all the obvious DLC included.

This response didn't help for me. The beta gave me the sense that the game would be really vast, but it seems like it'll be more of a "space-exploration lite" game...at least initially.

Definitely seems smaller than the Borderlands games.

To be fair, that article is just a summery of this thread. No new info, and the original quotes from the livestream are still just as ambiguous as they were when the thread was created.

Z3M0G

My concern with Destiny content isn't so much the sparsity, its the handling of the levels versus an open world.

- Does it have more playable areas than Borderlands 2, or 1, comparable to player height? If so, say so.
- How often do we return to the same play areas? Is it for 5-6 missions each or constantly, like Monster Hunter?
- Does the main story really make us go back to the Tower to level up and decrypt locked items - can't we progress through the game without it? If so, what hub elements haven't we seen?

Borderlands is an open playfield in segments with teleportation.
Monster Hunter is a hub town with a very limited playfield.

Why... why don't I know what Destiny is like yet?

I think you do know, and it's just difficult to accept...

Why were you hoping that?

I don't know, I'm managing my expectations differently I suppose.

Beta, not all areas uncovered, etc...

I've never played a Halo game, and I was hoping that. I mean, they're different planets. I know the aliens have space ships too and all that, but a bit of regional variety would be nice, even if it were only aesthetic.

Top Bottom