• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a definitive version of each Final Fantasy game?

cafemomo

FFI - GBA
FFII - GBA
FFIII - DS
FFIV - mixed on this one tbh, I'd lean towards DS tho (mainly because I spent more time with that version, so this opinion is really invalid)
FFV - GBA
FFVI - GBA (muh portability, doesn't hurt to have the best FF game on the go, even with the terrible audio)
FFVII - PS
FFVIII - PS (Steam version is pretty good actually sans the butchered music)
FFIX - PS (for now)
FFX/X-2 - Vita (muh portability)
FFIX - PC
FFXII - PS2 (for now)
FFXIII/XIII-2/LR PS3
FFXV - PC

-the PS1 ver of V & VI were janky. I mean they are still playable, but it's a absolutely last resort.
-borrowed a 360 a while back and tested out XIII & XIII-2 on them and it was pretty terrible. There was like frame rate drops errywhere not to mention lightning's hair didn't look as detailed
-currently playing the steam version of VII, once I finish that, it will probably be my personal definitive version.
-XII needs to be on the Vita
-VI needs to be on the 3DS

FFV GBA with sound patch is my to go for that game. Great translation that probably captures the humour well*. Yes the sound patch is mono but mono is required to fix the horrible slowdown that comes with high level magic otherwise (bloody TOSE).

*-I like the 90s kids show villain lines Gilgamesh comes out with (
morphin' time
and
make it double
)

Regarding translations which FFIV is better? Some find DS is a bit overdone and lacking character in quite the same way. There is a good comparison of most of them here (including easy type and the j2e translation, the former is simpler vocab and the latter is extremely wrong in places).

From a gameplay point I suppose in the day if you were inexperienced with RPGs I guess FFIV would kick your ass so the DS version doing that (by being tough as nails) is a homage to that. I await the inevitable port that includes both difficulties of FFIV though.

For After Years I have to hand it to iOS for new assets or PSP for not costing $37 like the WiiWare version ($16 if you skip 2/3 of the game) but I didn't think after years was particularly good.

What about the wonderswan versions?
Isn't 1 and 2 PS1 downports and 4 well...8-bit FFIV music is something I guess.

FFV GBA with sound patch is my to go for that game. Great translation that probably captures the humour well*. Yes the sound patch is mono but mono is required to fix the horrible slowdown that comes with high level magic otherwise (bloody TOSE).

Huh, didn't know FFV GBA had a sound patch.

I feel like FFV Advance was the only game in that series of ports whose audio didn't get butchered by the GBA's sound chip/quality. Hell, I'd even argue that the GBA soundtrack is superior to the original SNES version.

jinto lin

Banned
Personaly i think Sony digital version are the best version of them al :p
I can play it on my vita, PS3, psp and perhaps in the future on the ps4?
Especialy on the vita is awesome :D

2014-08-0413_14_32-FinalFantasy_SonyEntertainmentNetworkNederland_zps297baa54.png

Top Bottom