• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binding of Isaac Rebirth features fully customizable controls, 60fps, seeded runs

Mumford

There are already low-res games on PS4, like Mercenary Kings and 1,001 Spikes.
The existing ones are scaled to 1080p with nearest-neighbor sampling.

While I didn't enjoy Mercenary Kings as a game, I loved the game's graphics. This is assuring.

Nintendo would be stupid not to let this game happen on their systems.

That aside, can't wait for this, I've put in over 100 hours into the original.

Seeding is also cool, but I think the current BoS tourneys will want to still keep it random for all competitors.

Bsigg12

The controller pictures make it sound like you can shoot in any direction, rather than just four directions like the original. Is this confirmed anywhere, or shown in any videos?

In the second video with the Camo Kidd (yea it's hard to actually see Isaac) thing, you can see tears coming out diagonally.

Excellent news about the controller configuration. I lost my patience pretty quickly with the original Binding of Isaac in large part thanks to the lack thereof; I can't stand having to fiddle with applications like Joy2Key to actually PLAY a damn game.

Release trailer is being made this week.
chansub-global-emoticon-60aa1af305e32d49-23x30.png

There's been a Isaac speedrun type league called BOiLeR for a long ass time that's pretty much like this. Unfortunately with the flash version, there were no seeds so everything was 100% random. With this, they might be able to make the competition exact which is very very cool.
Competitions like that can now actually be taken seriously, yes.

Katori

This looks awesome. Plus or not I will have it.

I'm not quite sure on how exactly the low native resolution will work on PS4. I know they're going with a SNES look and all, but SNES's don't play well with modern TVs. There has to be a reason for this though. Can someone explain?
To answer your question a little more specifically, SNES stuff looks fine if you scale the output to 1080p (or the nearest exact pixel scale fit) using nearest neighbor filtering, but if you plug a SNES into your TV the TV will try to scale the already really fuzzy signal from the composite cable to 1080 with their built-in scalers, which are trash for games and meant for movies. This makes it even fuzzier. Even just modding a SNES to use RGB/SCART can improve the picture quality.

All of this is not a concern on the PS4 or indeed any modern console, where the upscaling is not an issue to the consumer and can be controlled by the developer, and the signal is clean HDMI.

SmokyDave

3DS port begging is weird. Why the fuck would you want to play this on a 3DS?

I don't care if it's finished or not, I want to play this game now. Right now.

Better question...

What about eu? Nicalis and eu Don't get along.

With the game being a plus title I hope this comes out at the same time as the NA version.

Yeah, I want to know this as well. I want the Vita version of this game but I'm really worried that its going to get heavily delayed like 1001 Spikes which is still completely absent from the EU store.

MUnited83

For you.
I was hoping the rumors of this being on PS+ were false.
I don't want any of my money going to these assholes, even indirectly.
That "controller setup" screen in the original made me legitimately rage.

Rumors? What rumors? The game has been confirmed to be out on PS+ for almost a year now.

Turnstyle

Better question...

With the game being a plus title I hope this comes out at the same time as the NA version.

This.

I hate it when Europe gets releases months after the US date. I would have bought 1001 Spikes day one, but we're still waiting for a hint of an EU release date, and I'm losing interest as other games actually make it over here (Rogue Legacy, Swapper etc).

I just hope that as BoI is such a high profile release there is a consistent launch date across regions.

MNC

So wait, does the game now have full free aim? On mobile the camp video doesn't make it very clear

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I was free from Binding Of Isaac but soon no more.

I wonder how much it'll be for peeps who already have the first release on Steam, I know McMillen talked about a discount but DAY ONE anyway.

(Get that shit on 3DS, I don't want to steal my gf's Vita)

Hatchtag

Banned
The jab on the rear touchpad got me. There really is no use for that fucking thing and I was almost worried they'd force it.

Lol I love how he says "You probably have no idea who the hell I am." Yeah Tyrone, as a European, I really don't.

/my ongoing paranoia that Nicalis will royally fuck the European release of Binding as they have every other game they've released ever.

Either way, should be getting a release date trailer pretty soon according to Ed.

I will hate Nicalis forever if this doesn't get an EU release date.

I'm honestly really worried because there's nothing to say this time will be any different. Two months since the 1001 Spikes release in America and nothing. No communication whatsoever. I understand localisation is a bitch of a process, but at least devs like the Shovel Knight guys actually let us know what's going on.

Btw, QA testing for this game starts on Friday. Don't know how long that takes.

I guess we'll have a release date soon enough.

And yeah, 3DS is honestly the last platform I'd play it on as I'd much rather have twin sticks than left stick + stylus or left stick + buttons. Particularly if there are diagonal shots.

Better question...

God, I hope not.

The jab on the rear touchpad got me. There really is no use for that fucking thing and I was almost worried they'd force it.
Yeah, I've come to hate that thing. PS4 remote play has made it unbearable.

Rubius

I'm getting not bad at Isaac right now. Just killed Sheol for the first time with Isaac during my Lord of the Flies challenge.

Will grab it on Vita and PC probably.
50% more items than in BoI and Wrath combined will be sweet.

KarmaCow

Oh wow I didn't realize that analog shooting was already known. Is there any comment about it specifically? That's a massive change for a fundamental aspect of the original, even moreso than larger rooms and 60fps.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
This is absolutely a day zero purchase for me. Can't wait. BOI was one of my favourite games, sank so many hours into it. Have been holding off playing for a while now to make Rebirth as fun as possible, going to be awesome.

Oh wow I didn't realize that analog shooting was already known. Is there any comment about it specifically? That's a massive change for a fundamental aspect of the original, even moreso than larger rooms and 60fps.

I think it'll still bind the analog sticks to the digital shooting. Would be too much of a change between the control schemes if not. I'd be interested to hear if that's not the case though.

Rubius

Yeah, it's locked to 60 FPS too, since some items like the Piece of Coal actually gain in power depending on the amount of frames it spend in the map. So, that's why they lock it.

3DS port begging is weird. Why the fuck would you want to play this on a 3DS?

I don't care if it's finished or not, I want to play this game now. Right now.
Because it has a bottom screen that would be able to contain the mini-map, plus information on all power-ups you've collected on your run, leaving the upper screen completely clutter free and most likely providing for an all round more enjoyable portable experience than the Vita has (especially in light of the fact that the Vita isn't going to have all the flash and graphical pizzazz that the console/PC version will).

It's not exactly port-begging when the developer has consistently teased the game on the 3DS, something that I'm sure is more effort required than is necessary for it to all just be an elaborate troll.

At this point I'm choosing to believe that the game is a timed exclusive for Vita/PS4, and it will be heading to the 3DS at some point.

danmaku

I had the impression that full analog shooting was the effect of a new bonus, not that you had it as default. Am I wrong?

Wereroku

Because it has a bottom screen that would be able to contain the mini-map, plus information on all power-ups you've collected on your run, leaving the upper screen completely clutter free and most likely providing for an all round more enjoyable portable experience than the Vita has (especially in light of the fact that the Vita isn't going to have all the flash and graphical pizzazz that the console/PC version will).

It's not exactly port-begging when the developer has consistently teased the game on the 3DS, something that I'm sure is more effort required than is necessary for it to all just be an elaborate troll.

At this point I'm choosing to believe that the game is a timed exclusive for Vita/PS4, and it will be heading to the 3DS at some point.

Who knows if it will head to 3DS but it's still port begging. Also if the Vita is going to look worse than the PC/PS4 imagine how much worse the 3DS version is going to look. Also if you play it in 3D the game will probably be 30fps unless they can get the game running at 120fps on 3ds.

Duster

I love the sound of those seeded runs, maybe such a feature can find it's way to Spelunky before it's PS4 release.

Shame about the potential EU delays, however at least it gives me more time to play through some of my PS+ titles before this and Rogue Legacy take over my Vita.

SmokyDave

It is port begging, and Nintendo have already blocked the game due to questionable content.

If you want portable BoI, just grab a Vita. Don't hang on for a butchered late port that likely ain't gonna happen anyway.

Perhaps the most exciting thing in those videos is the hinting that there might be cheat/challenge codes related to the seed inputs.

I know Nintendo's rules on religious content have thwarted their previous efforts to release through e-shop, but is there anything stopping them from just releasing a physical cart for 3DS? I'd buy it, even at full price.

Wereroku

Perhaps the most exciting thing in those videos is the hinting that there might be cheat/challenge codes related to the seed inputs.

I know Nintendo's rules on religious content have thwarted their previous efforts to release through e-shop, but is there anything stopping them from just releasing a physical cart for 3DS? I'd buy it, even at full price.

The full physical release follows the same protocol as the digital release so it would be the same problem.

Top Bottom