• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a Next-Gen game you're afraid will be bad?

NEO0MJ

Another game I'm worried about is Captain Toad. While I love that we're getting a game dedicated to him I was hoping it would be a simple expansion pack instead of a full game, because I'm not confident that they can make it feel worth the price.

I really hope No Man's Sky is everything they say it will be, I don't want another Molyneux

Yeah. The idea seems brilliant but how well can they pull it off?

Wizman23

Banned
I'm going to go with Fable Legends. Surprised to see people doubting the Black Tusk GOW. Project is most likely going to have a huge budget and Rob Ferguson is on board. I expect the new Gears game to be remarkable.

SykoTech

No Man's Sky is a good one. Not necessarily worried it would be bad, but I can see the initial concept being unfulfilled. I wish Hello Games luck.

Taker34

Banned
Yes. Destiny (content), The Order 1886 (gameplay) and Mass Effect (everything).

I'm way too negative? A negatively charged molecule. I even cancelled my Destiny pre-order because I doubt that it'll deliver enough content (one area per celestial body for example) and size.

Asbear

Banned
I hope Batman Arkham knight turns out to be fantastic.

Me as well. City was maybe one of my top 3 games of last gen. It's amazing albeit a bit short, but from what they've showed so far I just think Knight seems to be too "epic" and too big in scope. It's like City but not as classy. I sure hope it meets my expectations anyway of course.

No Man's Sky. I want this to be as awesome as the trailers, Truly I do.. but We don't even know what the core gameplay loop is yet! is it a shooter? A Minecrafty Survival explorer?

Asbear

Banned
Yes. Destiny (content), The Order 1886 (gameplay) and Mass Effect (everything).

I'm way too negative? A negatively charged molecule. I even cancelled my Destiny pre-order because I doubt that it'll deliver enough content (one area per celestial body for example) and size.

I love the halo games for their single player a lot but the MP is what keeps me coming back. Destiny felt so tight in its mechanics, crisp GFX and sweet sound design, and the co-op missions are not that bad to be honest because the enemy AI is interesting and challenging enough to me. I'm so getting it still, even after the beta, and if all fails on the SP front, the Crucible will prolly keep me engaged.

rezn0r

everything not out yet. i'm a prick. i'm not joking either, it's better to be this way and be pleasantly surprised than everything be a disappointment. haha

zruben

Banned
if it counts, Smash Bros.

I'm still terribly terribly TERRIBLY scared that Smash 4 WiiU will have the same crappy online that Brawl did...

please... a Smash with decent online and I could die as a happy man.

anddo0

The Order 1886.

I liked what the team did with God of War. But both games felt very by the book.

My fear with The Order 1886 is outside of graphics, it may not do anything groundbreaking.

No Man's Sky. I want this to be as awesome as the trailers, Truly I do.. but We don't even know what the core gameplay loop is yet! is it a shooter? A Minecrafty Survival explorer?

Keeping my expectations in check.. I like that this small dev is getting attention.
But we all know how fast the crowds can turn on you.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Sunset Overdrive
- It's Insomniac making a shooter. These usually don't go over all too well.

Well to be fair, it's a 3rd person action game with platforming elements. I'd say they have a fairly good pedigree when it comes to that genre. But after FUSE I could see being a little hesitant on their next game.

Your standards must be low. The first levels of Shadows are interesting, then it delves into stupid territory with horrible design.

I actually think my standards are pretty high, but I'll agree that my opinion on Shadows of the Damned is much more subjective than the other games on that list. It reminds me of a really ridiculous B-movie. The gameplay isn't perfect, it's juvenile and over-the-top, and the polish isn't quite up to snuff. But it's also pretty unique. I enjoyed the level design and gunplay (to an extent), the aesthetics were insanely memorable, Garcia was a genuinely likable character and I just greatly enjoyed my time playing it.

I don't know... I don't enjoy it for the same intellectual reasons I love games like Planescape Torment and I don't love it for the gameplay polish like I do God Hand. Even so, I can't deny I'm in love with that silly-ass game. I completely understand why you might hate it though lol

Karatechop250

Neo Member
The Order 1886.

I liked what the team did with God of War. But both games felt very by the book.

My fear with The Order 1886 is outside of graphics, it may not do anything groundbreaking.

Keeping my expectations in check.. I like that this small dev is getting attention.
But we all know how fast the crowds can turn on you.

I really feel the order is going to be the PS4's Ryse. A game that is beautiful fun for a few hours but overall just not that great of a game.

I've pretty much realized that FFXV will never come out as good as people hope.

Luckily I have a copies of Chorno Trigger and TWEWY availible to me.

Other than that,

yplnal.gif

I think I would cry if this game somehow turned out to be bad. I know it won't be though.

Evil Whitin : I hope it's good but I'm still in the fence after the mixed previews...
Fable Legends: Ouch this game...
Lords of the Fallen: I preordered the game but I have the feeling the story will be bad and a lot re-used environnements(Gameplay will be good so I'm ok)

I'm not afraid for The Order 1886 and The Witcher 3 that's for sure after multiples previews.

Felspawn

The games i am more looking forward to are DA, Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 (or whatever they end up calling it. I'd be really bumed if any of those werent a winner

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The Evil Within

Total Mikami fanboy and after the previews I'm really scared he'll disapoint me - which has never happend so far.

Ludist210

I'm still terribly terribly TERRIBLY scared that Smash 4 WiiU will have the same crappy online that Brawl did...

At the very least, they can patch the netcode. That's something they couldn't do with Brawl, which was part of the problem.

Taker34

Banned
I love the halo games for their single player a lot but the MP is what keeps me coming back. Destiny felt so tight in its mechanics, crisp GFX and sweet sound design, and the co-op missions are not that bad to be honest because the enemy AI is interesting and challenging enough to me. I'm so getting it still, even after the beta, and if all fails on the SP front, the Crucible will prolly keep me engaged.

Yeah crucible is actually pretty good to say the least (no 60fps though), but that's not the reason why I was primarily interested in Destiny. I was expecting a bigger earth with several areas like Russia... maybe I'll pre-order again when I get a better idea of what the final game has to offer.

Percy

Banned
Quantum Break.

I'll still probably pick up the PC version in a sale at some point, but after how bad the gameplay was in the Alan Wake games and all indicators pointing to this being another corridor shooter, I don't have a lot of faith in Remedy to deliver a game that is fun.

Alien Isolation.

Because Aliens related games are cursed.

I'm very much convinced that the online sucks, anything else would be a nice surprise but i'm not expecting a thing.

Marvel

could never
Gears of War 4.

After the failed and blatant cashgrab experiment that was Judgment I am nervous as fuck about Black Tusks attempt at my beloved franchise. I know they have Rod but eh it's just how I feel.

T.O.P

Banned
The Order 1886

Love the settings, love the atmosphere

Then i saw those awfully scripted corridor footage, i'm gonna be mad if they're gonna ruin such a beautiful concept for a game

SerTapTap

The Order was probably delayed because of reactions like those in this thread. I share the concerns but don't think it's guaranteed to be bad or anything.

I'm concerned for FFXV, I want to like it but X-2 was the last FF I bought and I'm not sure I'll like this one either.

With Kingdom Hearts 3 I'm more afraid I won't understand it without playing the truly absurd quantity of side games they've released after 2. Not that I was going to understand it to begin with but dang how convoluted will this get?

nynt9

Sunset Overdrive

This game for me as well. It's not just that, the shooting looked weightless to me and it feels like there won't be much to the game other than shooting zombies/robots/dudes over and over. Feels like it could get very old very fast.

Witcher 3. I'm worried that it will lose focus. The second was a great balance between freedom and story and I'm worried making it open world will damage that.

SerTapTap

Sunset Overdrive

Resistance was great. Also it's a TPS, basically closer to Ratchet and Clank than Resistance. And if you don't like R&C I have no idea why you're interested in anything Insomniac has/will ever do.

sublimit

Banned
I've pretty much realized that FFXV will never come out as good as people hope.

Luckily I have a copies of Chorno Trigger and TWEWY availible to me.

Other than that,

I think I would cry if this game somehow turned out to be bad. I know it won't be though.

The good thing about Monolith Soft and Nintendo is that they weren't afraid to show a lot of that game.They showed lots of gameplay and although there are still a lot of things we need to know about X it's a day and night difference from the "please be excited" bullshit and same all trailers SE has been feeding us for years in regards to FFXV.

No Mans Sky - Almost seems too good to be true. I hope it's incredible.

The Order: 1886 - I really don't mind linear, scripted games. But I do hope it's a little more open than what was shown.

I'm actually really optimistic about Smash 4. it does look like it plays closer to Brawl but without the random elements. watching the SDCC footage of the game has me really hyped now because it basically looks like everything Brawl should have been and then some. I guess if you want the fast and furious gameplay of Melee you might be disappointed, and that's cool.

Nailed it.

Though honestly, I think I've come to terms that it will probably be closer to Brawl anyway. Shouldn't be as bad as Brawl at all thankfully, but I don't think it'll be changed up too much from the way it is now, even if there is a completely revamped build.

I'm not setting high expectations for that game so I'm not too worried. I know it will be more like Brawl and I'm willing to accept that, even if I would have preferred a more melee-like combat system.

I would be okay with it if it was right in the middle between Melee and Brawl. Yes, I would prefer the speed of Melee, and I'm not sure what the downside is of not doing that, but I like the concept of more aerial action like Brawl. The slowness was what really bothered me.

But it's not just the gameplay of Brawl that bothers me. I'm also worried about the balance of items, the complete homogenization of Target Test, the tedium of Subspace Emissary (glad that's out), the alterations for All-Star Mode, and everything else that Brawl made worse. Oh, and the large amount of terrible stages. And the Yellow Devil has done nothing to assuage that fear.

Don't you mean current gen?

I'm worried Uncharted 4 will just be more of the same, but I guess that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Uncharted 3 didn't have the same punch as 2, but it was still a good game.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I nearly said ME, but this time my expectations are going to be super low after my heart got ripped out of my chest, stopped on, set on fire and the ashes snorted.

Yet you still have a ME3 Kaidan avatar. :p

I would say the next Mass Effect too, but even I enjoyed the rushed out of the gate game that was ME3, so a game where they actually take their time to develop it should be something I enjoy easily. And the fact that we know that there is going to be some actual planet exploration with the Mako now lessen my worries.

Top Bottom