• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebola: Doctors told to prep for global outbreak after victim allowed on two planes

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/ebola-doctors-told-prepare-global-3933249

Doctors fear Ebola victim Patrick Sawyer may have sparked a worldwide spread of the killer disease after being allowed on two flights while infected.

And tonight a desperate race was on to find dozens of passengers who flew on the same jets as the 40-year-old American.

British doctors and border officials have been warned to be on the lookout for people in the UK showing signs of the disease.

Mr Sawyer was allowed to board an ASKY Airlines flight in Liberia, where Ebola is rife, despite vomiting and suffering from ­diarrhoea. His sister was recently killed by the virus.

He had a stopover in Ghana then changed planes in Togo and flew to the international travel hub of Lagos in Nigeria. The dad-of-three died five days after arriving in the city.

Lancaster University virologist Derek ­Gatherer said passengers, crew and airport ground staff who came into contact with Mr Sawyer could be in “pretty serious danger”. Ebola is fatal in 90% of cases.

Doctors have identified 59 people who were near him and have tested 20. But they are struggling to find the others, who could have flown to anywhere in the world from Lagos.

There were today questions over how Liberian government worker Mr Sawyer was let on flights while clearly showing symptoms of Ebola – which has killed 672 people in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone since it broke out in February.

mo60

I'm starting to get scared,but I highly doubt many people that live in western countries will be affected by this disease.

Lakitu

st5fu
Do we know where the planes were headed? I can't imagine it being hard to track the planes down, quarantine them and test the people on board.

If they're just now trying to find people on board... then yeah..... not good.

Clickbait article preys on fears. There's nothing in there we didn't already know except they use catchy buzzwords and ambiguity of mights and maybes to get away with sensationalism.

Nikodemos

Can anyone explain to me why hadn't those countries shut down their airports at the first signs of disease? It's well known that air travel is the most likely method of wide area transmission.

Lazyslob

Banned
what kind of dipshit goes to places like this and is like "well ill probably be okay". dude should get a nice hard punch in the face

Shaanyboi

Banned
Do we know where the planes were headed? I can't imagine it being hard to track the planes down, quarantine them and test the people on board.

There's only so much that could do. They don't know necessarily where people are staying, if they took another mode of transportation out of town, etc.

takriel

Just yesterday I was vomiting and today I have diarrhoea. But I'm pretty sure it's because I ate something bad.

People need to seriously chill out.

Yes, Ebola is a scary and horrible disease, but it's really fucking difficult to spread in developed countries. Not because it burns itself out, but because hygiene is leagues better for the vast majority of people, and the protocols and assets to contain any possible outbreaks would be magnitudes better than what they have in West Africa right now.

Also this seems to be a tabloid, so sensationalist title is sensationalist.

jediyoshi

Clickbait article preys on fears. There's nothing in there we didn't already know except they use catchy buzzwords and ambiguity of mights and maybes to get away with sensationalism.

There's literally no baseline variation of an appropriate headline that still doesn't sound super crazy.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Its fucked.

Its all fucked.

America will be hit hard. Most of us wait to see the doctor until we are on the brink of death, by which point an infected person would be incredibly contagious. A cough, a sneeze, a brush of the arm. Boom, ebola.

w3bba

Just yesterday I was vomiting and today I have diarrhoea. But I'm pretty sure it's because I ate something bad.

Obligatory:

fb0.jpg

what kind of dipshit goes to places like this and is like "well ill probably be okay". dude should get a nice hard punch in the face

He wasn't showing symptoms before the flight, and after he was showing symptoms he turned himself in to be quarantined.

So maybe do some reading before you shit on the dead, especially considering what his line of work was.

Lazyslob

Banned
He wasn't showing symptoms before the flight, and after he was showing symptoms he turned himself in to be quarantined.

So maybe do some reading before you shit on the dead, especially considering what his line of work was.

or maybe read my last post before turning me into the bad guy

Nikodemos

Biggest problem is that the very first symptoms resemble food poisoning, so people brush them off until they start vomiting and shitting blood, at which point they've been acting as infection vectors for several days.

bonercop

There were today questions over how Liberian government worker Mr Sawyer was let on flights while clearly showing symptoms of Ebola – which has killed 672 people in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone since it broke out in February.

672 people after 4-5 months

truly, the world is doomed.

EDIT:
Its fucked.

Its all fucked.

America will be hit hard. Most of us wait to see the doctor until we are on the brink of death, by which point an infected person would be incredibly contagious. A cough, a sneeze, a brush of the arm. Boom, ebola.

lolz.

again: 672 people

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Biggest problem is that the very first symptoms resemble food poisoning, so people brush them off until they start vomiting and shitting blood, at which point they've been acting as infection vectors for several days.

Do people brush off food poisoning? Man, I don't.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Do people brush off food poisoning? Man, I don't.

Usually its something that passes in a day, so yes. In the US the culture almost forces you to try to ignore it until its too late. Cant take iff work so go in sick, dont want to pay the doctor so I'll sleep it off. It could be very dangerous when the first symptoms of ebola seem innocuous enough.

red731

Fucking, Sawyer.

Today's Patrick Sawyer
He gets high on you
And the space he invades
He gets by on you

But yeah, 672 people after 5 months? There is time for someting to do about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom