• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4.6 million people played Destiny's beta

SirCrush

Game's gonna be huge. I was one of those who were on the fence but probably going to buy Destiny at launch. Now I am sold and will be buying the expansion pass as well. I actually worry that it'll cut into the time I spend with other games that I planned to buy this year and early 2015. But with the amount of fun I had with the beta, that worry is pretty unfounded. I can't fucking wait for this game.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Impressive but considering the talk around the internet after the beta one has to wonder how many of those 4.6 million are keeping their pre-orders.

I know I am, but I've heard a lot of people say they thought it was meh.

You have to also consider the opposite. I played the beta, and I got people to play the beta because it was so good. Now they're buying the game.

5 guys at work have said since day 1 I won't buy a new console until Destiny.

Well all 5 of them bought PS4s last month and played the shit out of the Destiny Beta. These guys aren't huge gamers.

Halo is pretty much their choice of game when it releases.

All 5 of them have the limited edition pre ordered.

I know this doesn't mean anything really but this game is going to be so so huge.

I had a few friends do the same; most likely the reason for the rise in PS4 sales month over month last month.

Furyous

Imagine how much higher the numbers are if they open the alpha and beta to everyone from the start. They could sell six million on ps3/X360 alone. 10 million isn't as outlandish as it seems if you count worldwide install bases. The story helps as well. You are a nameless faceless space traveler with no ethnicity and a ship. That sells itself right there.

jett

D-Member
Impressive but considering the talk around the internet after the beta one has to wonder how many of those 4.6 million are keeping their pre-orders.

I know I am, but I've heard a lot of people say they thought it was meh.

What, that insane thread made up mostly of people talking out of their ass?

This game is going to be absolutely massive. It'd be cool if we got a platform break down, too bad it seems like they can't even mention Xbox.

Pikma

Banned
Haters ya miss

X50NPcK.jpg
Haters can't help but duck

Tobor

I remember when I used to think that a few backlash threads on GAF meant anything. Those were simpler times.

That's great, apparently. I know no other beta numbers for comparison.

I hope this game sells like crazy and becomes the next CoD. I had a ton of fun with the PvE stuff in the beta.

Orayn

Approximately 61.564% of people who responded to the beta thread would have given Destiny an internal rating within three standard deviations of 52/100, so I wouldn't bank on the game succeeding at all. It's pretty much the definition of artificial hype and I fully expect it to crash and burn.

Yes I am making fun of that one poster who barged into the other thread and started quoting a bunch of nonsense statistics to justify not liking the game.

SerTapTap

I doubt it will do those numbers for sales. most of the people i played with were underwhelmed by the beta.

the PVP was bad.

People playing for PVP will be disappointed. I thought it's been pretty clear the PvE with friends/randoms was the main draw.

Hoo-doo

Banned
People playing for PVP will be disappointed. I thought it's been pretty clear the PvE with friends/randoms was the main draw.
Because they sampled some PVP at level 8 even though a lot of the game is going to be balanced for level 20?

Why not wait until the actual game is here to critique, then maybe we are getting somewhere.

I have little doubt that Bungie will remedy many of the issues in PVP. Given their track record, they continue to fix things in their games until the release of their next game; I don't think this will be any different. I think the PVP has incredible potential, but it's certainly held back by a few glaring issues.

Edit: And honestly I still had a blast with it, I probably played between 50-100 games...and that was 2 maps (well 4 if you count Iron Banner)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Approximately 61.564% of people who responded to the beta thread would have given Destiny an internal rating within three standard deviations of 52/100, so I wouldn't bank on the game succeeding at all. It's pretty much the definition of artificial hype and I fully expect it to crash and burn.

Yes I am making fun of that one poster who barged into the other thread and started quoting a bunch of nonsense statistics to justify not liking the game.

In 83% of the cases where people quote precise statistical data that data is dubious anyway.

ElRenoRaven

People doubt and people hate but goddamn it Bungie will sell a truckload. I have no doubt. A good game sales itself. But of course when you have Activision helping you then yea that game is going to sell beyond well.

Relique

This really is an absurd number. If it wasn't from an official source I wouldn't believe it. At this rate I won't be surprised if it opens at 10 million in first month sales.

Bashtee

Played the beta, but was a bit disappointed. Besides tech problems, the game seemed a bit... glued together. I dunno... Just ignore me, will join if it hits 30€ - 40€ range.

DNAbro

Teh manufactured hype. Real gamerz hat destiny

lol

Wow, impressive numbers for the beta! I wonder how this will translate into sales of the game. Would be interesting to see some kind of metrics post official release.

ryuken-d

Wonder how many of those still played on last-gen (and how many people played it on all their consoles and hence got counted multiple times).

I wonder that as well but not because of double counts, PS3 and PS4 downloads of beta obviously count as two. also buy a PS4 people!!!! destiny looks and plays so so good.

PvP is the main draw for me and all my friends actually. People are far too quick to dismiss it IMO.

It's not the most balanced PvP in the world, but that was part of the fun because everyone has their own brand of broken. I can't really wrap my mind around some of the request that's practically asking the PvP to be completely changed into a different game altogether.

ryuken-d

Load times seem a bit silly--worst I've seen on PS4 actually. Going to orbit in particular seems like it really shouldn't have load times.

yeah I never had any lag or crashes but the load times were a little long, reminded me of ME only cause of spaceship. full release be better please!!

mjAUT

PvE ran without a hitch and PvP games had pretty good netcode.

While I agree on the PvE part, most of the time the PvP netcode felt horrible to me.

I often died behind corners or traded kills almost a second later.

I had a few matches which ran completely smooth tho, so I still have hope.

KoopaTheCasual

I wonder when we'll start seeing Activision's advertising money? Is it bad that I'm more excited to see how outrageous the marketing campaign is, a little more than the game?

I love spectacles.

Top Bottom