• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you were an uncontested Republican US president in 2016, what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So let's pretend you were the Republican president after a successful 2016 U.S. campaign.

Let's also pretend that you magically also have congress in your pocket, and in general, you don't have to worry about the democrats whatsoever.

What would you do as Republican president? How would the Republican talking points manifest?

Sheroking

So let's pretend you were the Republican president after a successful 2016 U.S. campaign.

Let's also pretend that you magically also have congress in your pocket, and in general, you don't have to worry about the democrats whatsoever.

What would you do as Republican president? How would the Republican talking points manifest?

I'd probably say and do a bunch of dumb shit to keep the Republicans from easily winning any election in the near future, while behind the scenes doing whatever I could to extricate the noxious poisonous influence of the religious right on the party

#Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi

#Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi #Benghazi

Yeah, but what about
Benghazi?

linkboy

Do I have the Senate as well, because if I do, that changes the entire game?

First off, Obamacare is getting repealed and heath care will be ran by corporations, because they have the best interest of the American people at heart.

Secondly, prayer will be brought to schools, everyone needs to know the power of prayer (and the US is a christian nation, anyways).

Third, community based interent will be illegal and the FCC can't regulate cable companies, since they also have the bets interests of the American people at heart.

Do what the Tea Party wants. Then when everything goes to hell in a handbasket, I'll just say "I'm only doing what my constituents wanted: smaller government, no income tax, no social safety net, no TSA. I thought you guys wanted me to honor the Founding Fathers and the Constitution!"

kingkitty

-Repeal Obamacare.
-Privatize medicare and social security.
-Zero federal taxes.
-Increase military budget.
-Declare war on some random country.

I can just do whatever I want? Well then I'd probably be the shittiest Republican president ever, because I wouldn't do much of anything that they want.

Snaku

Banned
-Repeal Obamacare.
-Zero federal taxes.

MYIUAhD.gif

Regiruler

Shift focus away from economics, bear in on moral issues I find important.

Indifferent on warfare, will probably attempt to remain more neutral.

I would stop having to be a far right wing Republican because I'm going to have the nomination for the next election on lock. Then I would govern normally, trying to fix everything that is wrong.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Well, I was kind of asking to, in a fun way try and figure out what the Republicans want in a 'big picture' sort of way. So by putting yourselves in the shoes of essentially an all powerful president, what would you do.

ASSUMING that you were like, a real Republican and not a fake one. One that actually thinks being a Republican is good.

That being said, I kind of like some of the random attempts at trying to set a perceived wrong, right.

-Obamacare is gone, we'll have corporations control healthcare.
-Increase taxes on middle class, lessen taxes on the rich so the money can trickle down.
-Increase the military budget
-Get rid of NASA
-Get rid of Food Stamps, unemployment benefits, Medicare
-Remove evolution from school and replace with Creationism
-Remove Separation of Church & State
-Close the border to Mexico, put illegals in internment camps
-remove all restrictions on guns
-Bring back 20 to 1 on crack/cocaine
-Make stand your ground legal in all 50 states
-Ban gay marriage
-Ban interracial marriage
-Remove all those anti discrimination civil rights laws from the 60s
-Get rid of unions
-Remove minimum wage

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
-Repeal Obamacare.
-Zero federal taxes.
-Increase taxes on middle class, lessen taxes on the rich so the money can trickle down.
-Get rid of NASA
-Ban gay marriage
-Get rid of unions
-Remove minimum wage

Awesome, it's interesting seeing it all laid out like that - at the very least, this is the image the Republican party gives off to some people.

I'll be the anti-status quo republican.

-no income tax on anyone making less than 25k a year

-20% income tax for anyone making between 26-75k (first 25k are non-taxed).

-30% income tax for anyone making between 76-250k (first 75k taxed same as above).

-40% income tax for anyone making between 251k-1,000,000 (first 250k taxed same as above)

-60% income tax for anyone making 1,000,001-10,000,000 (first 1,000,000 taxed same as above).

-80% income tax for anyone making 10,000,001-1,000,000,000,000,000,000 (first 10,000,000 taxed same as above).

-Similar process as above for stocks/investments/etc (taxing only the profits).

-25% tax on gas, to help maintain roads and build efficient/convenient bus systems/build high-speed trains throughout America.

-Legalize Marijuana, and add on a 20% tax (do same for Alcohol and Cigarettes ). All profits going to public schools in their respective states.

-Single payer healthcare for all. None get any special privileges.

-Make for profit prisons/rehabilitation centers illegal.

-Increase spending on scientific research.

-lobbying is illegal

-political candidates cannot receive more than $500/supporter.

That's enough for now, I'm getting lazy.

Gotchaye

Well, I was kind of asking to, in a fun way try and figure out what the Republicans want in a 'big picture' sort of way. So by putting yourselves in the shoes of essentially an all powerful president, what would you do.

ASSUMING that you were like, a real Republican and not a fake one. One that actually thinks being a Republican is good.

That being said, I kind of like some of the random attempts at trying to set a perceived wrong, right.

Well, GW Bush, right? Tax cuts for the rich at every opportunity, pick some countries to bomb, maybe make a play for privatizing social security again. Paul Ryan's new poverty plan looks good - block grant a lot of federal poverty spending so that states can divert their own poverty spending to other things without it looking like we're reducing spending on the poor.

If I'm not worried about Democrats then I don't really need to do much culture war stuff. Maybe pass that thing where research projects receiving government funding need to show how they further the national interest. Definitely punt on gay marriage and say that it's up to states or whatever; hopefully the Supreme Court has ruled by then so I can't be expected to do anything about it. Probably will need to do a little more about putting armed dudes on the border with Mexico, though obviously I don't really want to do much about immigration.

Obamacare's tricky. Obviously we don't want to just repeal it; that'd be political suicide, and if I represent the party establishment I don't really dislike it very much. Maybe set up a committee to look into reforming it to make it less freedom-destroying, then end up tinkering around the edges and calling it a day. Maybe ditch the mandates?

-Get rid of NASA
-Ban gay marriage
-Get rid of unions
-Remove minimum wage
No death penalty for abortions? What a RINO.

benjipwns

Banned
Something like Medicare Part D? No Child Left Behind?

And apparently restrict freedom of the press through McCain-Feingold while admitting it's unconstitutional.

MikeDown

Banned
lets see....

1)Declare myself president4life
2)Disarm 50% of our nuclear stockpile
3)Annex Mexico and or Central America/Canada
4)Secure our boarders
5)Remove birthright citizenship/create new pathway to citizenship
6)5yr of service in military/peace corps is required to be a citizen
7)Fire all the kiss-asses at the Pentagon
8)Legalize gay marriage
10)Kick the UN off our soil
11)Reform our college system
12)Reform medical system
13)Lower taxes for nearly everybody
14)Sell the movie rights to "Horse-Ninja", a horse who is also a ninja
15)Impose strict regulations on littering
16)Impose stricter regulations on businesses to be more environmentally conscious
17)Fine/arrest people for not up keeping their homes/lawns
18)Pour money into NASA for more space exploration/moon base
19)Trim the budget to be more fiscally responsible
20)Invest in natural resources in a environmentally friendly way
21)Cut back on R&D military projects
22)Impose strict term limits for senators and congressmen
23)Cut government waste/pet projects
24)Revitalize our infrastructure
25)Arrest members of the media/Hollywood who disagree with me
26)Invade Iraq? Oh wait.....
27)Create a new division of the military dedicated to picking up garage and stuff
28)Tax rich white people more
29)Ban abortion
30)Create friendly consumer environment and break up monopolies (ie. Comcast)
31)Aggressively clean up the streets in Mexico and crack down on drug gangs (not drugs)
32)Steal mexico's oil
33)Impose water regulations on Californians to deter them from stealing other people's water

FStop7

Banned

1. Request the oldest copy of the Constitution be moved from the National Archives to the Oval Office so I can pee on it at my convenience.
2. Accept some petrodollars for my next campaign.
3. Start a war or two.

Focus on curbing immigration, expanded redistricting, and draconian voting laws so the GOP could hold office for the indefinite future. That's what I think I could get away with realistically.

-Get rid of NASA
-Ban gay marriage
-Get rid of unions
-Remove minimum wage

This is a very good platform, but two things need to change.
1. Increase funding to NASA. Bring back the Good Ol' Days™ of the Space Race, even though we're not racing against anyone (except maybe China). So many Gen Xers grew up on Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and Star Wars, and want to see America go to Mars and beyond.
2. Alternatively, ban everything that runs on electricity. Bring back the other Good Ol' Days™ where everyone made everything and fixed everything instead of replacing it. Teach the kids how to cook, sew, farm, possibly hunt, and be a craftsman. Also, lack of TV, computers, and video games will make kids go outside, and the obesity epidemic will be a thing of the past. When Iran/terrorists finally set off those EMPs, it won't matter one bit. Also, ban every song that came out after 1960.
3. Putting illegal immigrants in internment camps? That's killing them off at taxpayer expense! Send them back to Mexico and put in the Muslims, liberals, and gays instead!

This guy gets it.

I mean, unless I'm reading the question wrong, it sounds like I'm just supposed to be me, but somehow I fooled the Republican party into electing me for President. And I've somehow got Congress on board with whatever I want, so there's nothing stopping me from doing anything. I guess if I really had to be 'Republican' I would just push forward my agenda anyway, but crib some random excerpts from the Bible to get people on board. Stuff about taking care of our neighbors and shit. Would be easy enough.

Mobius 1

-Get rid of NASA
-Ban gay marriage
-Get rid of unions
-Remove minimum wage

- Outlaw sex outside of wedlock.
- Pregnant women that are considered an abortion risk would have a federal handler assigned to them, with bi-monthly compulsory checks. Penalty for abortion will be equivalent to murder, up to and including the death penalty.
- Create tax-breaks for gun shops, firearm sales are tax-free.
- Require a visa for every single traveller from any nationality.
- Start immediate drilling of every possible oil reserve to drive prices down.
- Get rid of incentives for fuel-efficient and/or green vehicles. Global warming is a hoax and every advocate will be considered a subversive.
- Create a tariff on importation of goods to improve the chances of local manufacturing.
- Stop the dismantling of nuclear weapons.
- Build more prision facilities for those dirty dissidents and free thinkers.

#BungaBunga@WH
You are not invited.
When and if a Supreme Court appointment opened up, I'd nominate myself and resign the Presidency. I'd like to see Obama do this just to piss the obstructionists off.

Fox Mulder

-Get rid of NASA
-Ban gay marriage
-Get rid of unions
-Remove minimum wage

solid list. What about abortions and oil though.

I would push congress to propose amendment to the constitution to do away with the income tax. Then have the states ratify it.

I would push congress to propose an amendment the constitution to make make only a flat national sales tax legal for the federal government.

I would push congress to propose an amendment to the constitution to limit spending as a percentage of GDP to 20% or below.

I would sign a law abolishing Medicare for individuals under 13 while continuing to keep the system the way it is except that people between the ages of 18 and 30 would be able to opt out of Medicare and opt in to the next law I'm about to sign.

All individuals 13 and below from whatever date enacted will receive a medical spending account that will receive 10% of all of their income and be used for medical care. This account will grow into their working years. The funds are transferable so that family members and well off friends can transfer their funds into struggling individuals accounts. You can donate and pass on unused funds to beneficiaries you specify in the case of death. Not only could the funds grow strong over time but it will encourage more competition and lower rates in the medical field because you would shop with your funds and if needed your other income. It wouldn't be an incomprehensible private insurance and government mess. People will know what services cost and be able to make a decision on what care they wanted. Medical prices might plummet.

The only money that the federal government would take from any individual would be from the flat sales tax on all transactions and then then 10% percent would go into their own medical saving account where it will only be available for their personal medical use. The rest is up to them.

The government would have to shrink to under 20% of GDP and the elected officials would have to prioritize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom