• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese gamers vote on their favorite developers

http://kotaku.com/japanese-gamers-vote-on-their-favorite-developers-1613824634

Japanese site Freshers (フレッシャーズ) conducted a poll last month asking 500 people if they played video games. Those who answered "yes" (138 people) were then asked if they had a preferred game developer. The 73 that said "yes" to both were then asked which game developer that was. The valid results were tallied as follows:

#1 Nintendo (30 votes)
"They have a lot of series that I like, like Mario and Zelda" – 31 year old male
"Because I like Animal Crossing, the Mario series and Pokémon." – 23 year old female

#2 Square Enix (18 votes)
"I like the Final Fantasy series and their games have a lot of in depth playability." – 30 year old male
"I've played their game series like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts more than any other." – 31 year old female

#3 Capcom (6 votes)
"I'm really into Sengoku Basara." – 26 year old female
"Because I like Monster Hunter. I like the Felyne characters." – 24 year old female

#4 Tecmo Koei Games (5 votes)
"I like how Asian style games like Nobunaga's Ambition and Samurai Warriors are their main products." – 29 year old male
"I love the Nobunaga's Ambition series!" – 24 year old male

#5 Atlus (3 votes)
"Games like Persona 3 and Persona 4 are masterpieces." – 25 year old female

#6 Sony, Konami, Level 5 (2 votes apiece)
#7 Spike Chunsoft, Sega, Bandai Namco (1 vote apiece)

Given the option for multiple possible answers, the top 3 developers remained the same with Nintendo in the lead, Square Enix in second, and Capcom coming in third. The breakdown is as follows:

#1 Nintendo (41 votes)
#2 Square Enix (31 votes)
#3 Capcom (22 votes)
#4 Sony (20 votes)
#5 Tecmo Koei (14 votes)
#6 Konami (13 votes)
#7 Sega (12 votes)
#8 Level 5 (10 votes)
#9 Atlus (9 votes)
#9 Bandai Namco (9 votes)
#11 EA (5 votes)
#12 Spike Chunsoft (3 votes)
#12 From Software (3 votes)
#12 Nippon Ichi Software (3 votes)
#12 Microsoft (3 votes)
#16 Marvelous AQL (2 votes)
#16 Arc System Works (2 votes)
#18 SNK (1 vote)
#18 Takara Tomy (1 vote)
Other developers (2 votes)

ibhEsNEPZLC3Cl.jpg

The top 3 aren't surprising. Nintendo are gods in Japan (see: pic in OP) and Square
soft
set the standard for JRPGs. Interesting to see a Japanese perspective on their favourite developers, although I hardly think a poll of 500 people would define any trends.

Top Bottom