• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2014: This reads like paid advertising, narrated by Tom Hiddleston

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinp

Banned
Is there a way to buy things from the Japanese Apple store?

I can buy you Japanese iTunes cards. Just ask for the rough equivalent in US $ via PayPal, ie if you want 3000¥ I'd like 30$.

8fwd15e.jpg

Yes! On my first try! And that's BESIDES getting rerouted to Honolulu, failing the mutinee AND losing the boxing match.

Came out ahead some 15,000£ after winnings. I only had to get funds for the very last leg of my trip from Reykjavik to London and at that only 900£. I made a killing selling a jewel, silks and a katana (I think that's right) over the course of the trip.

To avoid cholera or malaria or whatever make sure you only let Fogg have boiled water! Totally avoided getting sick in Manila that way. Had great fun and am thinking of heading in again to try a different route and be a bit more laid back. Love love love this game!

I can buy you Japanese iTunes cards. Just ask for the rough equivalent in US $ via PayPal, ie if you want 3000¥ I'd like 30$.

Yes! On my first try! And that's BESIDES getting rerouted to Honolulu, failing the mutinee AND losing the boxing match.

Came out ahead some 15,000£ after winnings. I only had to get funds for the very last leg of my trip from Reykjavik to London and at that only 900£. I made a killing selling a jewel, silks and a katana (I think that's right) over the course of the trip.

To avoid cholera or malaria or whatever make sure you only let Fogg have boiled water! Totally avoided getting sick in Manila that way. Had great fun and am thinking of heading in again to try a different route and be a bit more laid back. Love love love this game!

Ah thanks. But I also mean how do I get to the Japanese store on my iPad?

FerranMG

Hellers

Godus crashes while signing in on the iPad 2, shame because the first half hour is pretty interesting. Made in Guildford too, that's just down the road from me.

I've had to force quit the game a lot to get it started again after a break.

The first hour or so is indeed pretty nice. Just wait until you hit that wheat wall though.

Keio

For a Finer World
I love 80 Days.

Two playthroughs so far: 82 days (argh!) and now 54 days.

It's simple, but the narrative, presentation and setting really draw me in. And of course I love the original story, even though this is a bit... different :)

Matt Frost

I like games that have to keep up the combo (like Jupiter Jump) but a little bit deeper than that so I think Epic Skater might do the trick. Thanks

Well I played Epic Skater and while is fun I dont like revives with a special currency and stuff like that so I will stick to Time Tangle and others without IAP... Shame on Tony Hawk, I would have paid for a premium app.

"Why Does it spin?", clone of the awesome Kuru Kuru Kururin , released on 31st July is free today !

f4wwEuL.png

https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/id896164639?mt=8

You should check it out, from what I have tested (iPhone5), gameplay is nice. You can control by tilting (works great) or by touch.

Lol, the thread title is so fitting this month

No, but really, WDIS is a really fun game. As a concept it's nothing new compared to Kuru Kuru or cyro, but visually and gameplay-wise, it feels unique and fun. An playable, interactive menu. The colorful alien environments and interesting art design. The mechanics such as switches and color-coded barriers. WDIS is obviously heavily inspired by Kuru Kuru, but IMO the game has enough unique elements to feel like it stands out on its own merits

heringer

Swordigo is free! I loved it and have seen a lot of praise here for those who haven't picked it up yet.

That's a must get right there people.

And if you already played Swordigo, a similar game is Lemegeton Master Edition. It's not as polished but I'm having fun with it and it's the closest thing to Swordigo on the Appstore, though the art and atmosphere is more Castlevania. Plus, there are guns. Guns are nice.

Flunkie

Banned
That's a must get right there people.

And if you already played Swordigo, a similar game is Lemegeton Master Edition. It's not as polished but I'm having fun with it and it's the closest thing to Swordigo on the Appstore, though the art and atmosphere is more Castlevania. Plus, there are guns. Guns are nice.
Hmm there's a free "episode 1" on the App Store. Master Edition is episode 2.

heringer

Hmm there's a free "episode 1" on the App Store. Master Edition is episode 2.

Master Edition is episode 1 + episode 2 + no ads + no IAP.

The free episode 1 has ads and IAP. It's good to try before committing though.

At first the game is very restrictive, with one boss fight after the other, but eventually it opens up a little. It never becomes a full fledge Metroidvania though, hence why I compared to Swordigo.

Combat gets more fun too with different abilities and weapons. The game has two different characters with different move sets. There are dozens of bosses but they are mostly trivial (at least so far).

If you don't mind an ugly UI and a general lack of polish, it scratches the same itch as Swordigo, with a Castlevania look and feel.

Godus actually seems pretty decent at the start. The idea and gameplay is there, however, I've already ran out of belief and can't do certain tasks and buildings are taking longer to complete so it's already turning into Pay or Wait. And that simply sucks. It's disappointing to see a once talented developer who had some of the greatest games ever turn into just the same nickel and dime gameplay as everyone else. The potential was there for Molyneux to come back with a bang and re-create something from his glory days. I'd imagine it would be popular too. This isn't it though. I think it would be extremely difficult now for Molyneux to secure funding from people going forward if this is how it turns out. You had one chance Molyneux and you blew it. Well done!

Ezel

Neo Member
Awesome... please release it already :p
We are not quite ready yet so we're aiming to release Splode'N'Die between the end of the month and the beginning of September but keep an eye on the topic!

And while I'm preparing our first gameplay footage... Let me introduce you to THE BLUE! Each type of monster has its own super ability and once you kill a monster on a line, the monsters placed after slide back. When 3 monsters of the same color are side by side, they explode!
SND_POPUP_BLUE.png

More coming... SOON!

PFD

"Why Does it spin?", clone of the awesome Kuru Kuru Kururin , released on 31st July is free today !

f4wwEuL.png

https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/id896164639?mt=8

You should check it out, from what I have tested (iPhone5), gameplay is nice. You can control by tilting (works great) or by touch.

YDIS_iPad_TransportBands-450x450.png
YDIS_iPad_Spring-450x450.png
YDIS_iPad_Knots-450x450.png

Screenshots don't do this game justice. It looks brilliant in motion, but the devs have picked awful screens for the App Store preview.

Also, it doesn't it doesn't show up as free to me ($2.99)

okno

Yeah, Why Does It Spin? isn't free, but I'm still going to buy it. I've been wanting a Kuru Kuru Kururin game on my phone for ages, so thanks!

sibarraz

Banned
Ah thanks. But I also mean how do I get to the Japanese store on my iPad?

Just wanted to say that colinp is 100% trustworthy he bought me 3000 yens for my japanese account

Also if you make a japanese account, memorize the secret question answers, you need to use them whn you put the gift cards

Kairosoft put two games on sale. One is a cafeteria management game. Why do you do this to me Kairosoft? Now I have to buy a cafeteria management game and lose an afternoon to it.

Also, Rules is the truth. Damn awesome game.

okno

Is the game randomized?

The board is always randomized. Once you hit level 10, the game introduces new images (ex: the 1 tile will be represented by a bird as well as a small yellow monster) and once you hit level 14 (I think?) THEN it begins to randomize the rules but if you don't pay attention you'll keep playing the game in the normal fashion and fail, fast. You can cheat and write down the rules so you never forget, but you only have around 20 second per round to finish the full set of rules so you need your wits about you at all times. After round 7, it becomes very fast paced.

sibarraz

Banned
godus has a great start, and must be the most interesting city builder f2p that I had saw, but I'm sure that later I will hate it.

I know that I had this "gamer" syndrome of wanting to play a game long sessions, but if weren't like that, godus could be a good game

Man, Adventure Time: Time Tangle is frustrating. It might be my favorite AT game (not that it's a high bar) if the goddamn buttons worked more than 60% of the time. I've only had one death that wasn't directly caused by a jump or a punch not registering.

I haven't games much on iOS lately so maybe it's been a thing for a while but I'm really liking these quest- or track-based endless runners like this and Crazy Taxi.

PittaGAF

Can you talk about what makes it so good?

Here you can find a pretty good review which perfectly explains what the game is about, better than how could explain.

http://www.gamezebo.com/2014/08/07/rules-review-obedience-pays/

Basically it's a very fast reflexes and memorization game.
Seems simple but it's so well done and tight it's really addicting.

Even if it seems a 'just 2 minutes' typical mobile game...it's not really...because playing it on and off won't bring you anywhere.

I'm really liking it, even if I usually do not like fast/twitch games.

PittaGAF

Apparently there's an ipad version of Rules coming, hopefully that's soon.

Yeah it will be a free update, shouldn't take too long (around 2-3 weeks).
To be honest the game is already so slick it is perfectly fine on iPad already (where I usually play).

The board is always randomized. Once you hit level 10, the game introduces new images (ex: the 1 tile will be represented by a bird as well as a small yellow monster) and once you hit level 14 (I think?) THEN it begins to randomize the rules but if you don't pay attention you'll keep playing the game in the normal fashion and fail, fast. You can cheat and write down the rules so you never forget, but you only have around 20 second per round to finish the full set of rules so you need your wits about you at all times. After round 7, it becomes very fast paced.

Hmmmmm as far as I know (I'm stuck at level 17) rules are alway the same (people asking for randomized rules are mad....it would be almost IMPOSSIBLE, to me anyway...but they are considering it nonethelss) and they change every 10 levels.

You start with 20 seconds and next levels you start with 20 (or previous level starting time) plus or minus the time you 'wasted' previous level, but first one which is compared to 12 if I recall well.
So...if you start 20 and compkete the level in 10 seconds....you will start next level with 18 seconds (20 minus 2, 12-10) and so on....
So one trick is doing really fast first levels to accumulate bonuses.
Of course...doing fast plays against the flawless bonus (2x points per level) which IMHO is way easier to achieve.

Anyway....great little gem IMHO, very addicting, expecially if you have many friends playing it on your gamecenter...it takes challenges to the next level...in a similar way Threes did, for me at least.

Fans of A Dark Room and other experimental narrative games will want to keep a close eye on The Outcast. It's from the developer Simple Machine, who you may know from their word game LEX. My preview of the game is still in review, so I'm just copy and pasting the text.

“One that is cast out or refused acceptance.”

That’s the Merriam Webster definition of outcast and quite fitting for Simple Machine’s new release The Outcast. The Outcast is a cypher of an experience, not easily accepted into a classification or genre. No doubt there will be some who’ll refuse to accept The Outcast as a game.

Simple Machine is describing The Outcast as “a passive adventure…where you’ll explore a vast and dangerous world.” Subverting any and all notions of what a game is, the first thing The Outcast asks of you is to close the app. Long-form experimental storytelling is what The Outcast is about; throughout the day, you’ll be notified of random events and situations such as discovering a bridge, finding an inn, getting attacked, and so on. These events may cost you health, supplies, gold, or you may find coins or be healed. You check in, then close the app, and move on.

In its current state, The Outcast is bare bones but intriguing, with the potential to become something special. It should be noted that the current version of the game is 0.01; there’s a long road ahead for The Outcast and Simple Machine is determined to let community input shape the game’s future. I emailed developer Kurt Bieg about Simple Machine’s plans for The Outcast and his response made me glad to have purchased the game early on:

“Our big idea: The Outcast becomes this amazing interactive adventure that plays out over 6 months to a year. As you incorporate these small events from the game into your daily life, you’ll explore this vast unpredictable world while making decisions along the way that sculpt your character, ultimately crafting their place in this shifting world.

We already have some of the world mapped out (as in timeline, not terrain) and we’ll be sharing that soon, and how we made it, it was a lot of fun.”

The Outcast will grow on a bi-weekly basis, with the upcoming August 21st update adding new environments art, music, and other features. The developers have already received a substantial amount of feedback and suggestions, from adding falcons, incorporating a log of the game’s text so you can follow your journey, to implementing choices and decisions.

For fans of experimental games that play with and subvert how a narrative is experienced, or for those who simply enjoy having a hand in shaping a game, The Outcast is worth checking out. You can purchase the game for $1.99 and follow its progress and development on Simple Machine’s blog.

Rusty

Neo Member
I just released a local multiplayer iPad game called Astro Duel. Astro Duel is an attempt to bring the multiplayer style and depth from games like Super Bomberman to iPad. 2 to 4 players blast each other using asteroid-style ships.

iPhones can be used as wireless controllers and it supports up to 4 MFi gamepads.

Gameplay Trailer - https://vimeo.com/101005287
Touch Arcade review – http://toucharcade.com/2014/08/07/astro-duel-review/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id548898306

I'm super in love with local multiplayer. If you dig those kind of games, I think you'll like this. Super interested to hear what y'all think or to field any questions.

PFD

I just released a local multiplayer iPad game called Astro Duel. Astro Duel is an attempt to bring the multiplayer style and depth from games like Super Bomberman to iPad. 2 to 4 players blast each other using asteroid-style ships.

iPhones can be used as wireless controllers and it supports up to 4 MFi gamepads.

Gameplay Trailer - https://vimeo.com/101005287
Touch Arcade review – http://toucharcade.com/2014/08/07/astro-duel-review/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id548898306

I'm super in love with local multiplayer. If you dig those kind of games, I think you'll like this. Super interested to hear what y'all think or to field any questions.

I had that toucharcade review open on another tab as I saw your post. The game looks like tons of fun, and I'm a huge fan of same-device ipad games.

From my understanding only 2 players can play on the same iPad unless you have extra peripherals/iPhones, is that correct? I wish it was more. But I'm still gonna buy it for sure

Here's the link to the free Joypad app that lets you control the game with an iPhone

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/joypad-game-controller/id517378526?mt=8

Rusty

Neo Member
Pray For Death said:
From my understanding only 2 players can play on the same iPad unless you have extra peripherals/iPhones, is that correct? I wish it was more. But I'm still gonna buy it for sure

Yeap, that's correct. Up to 2 players can play directly on the device like this:

two_players.png

I totally wish it was more too! But the controls are a bit to complex for more. (Also iPads only track up to 10 touches at a time.)

Voidance

If you're not being sarcastic, it's Tom Hiddleston, the English actor best known for playing Loki in Thor and The Avengers.

If you are, well played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom