• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 months into the year. What's your GOTY so far?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm seeing a lot of love for DK on the thread, which is only increasing my temptation to get a Wii U.

Even though WiiU has a bunch of great games already, it's worth picking one up for Tropical Freeze alone. If you like platform games, you simply have to play it.

Infamous: Second Son but I've only boughten a few games that came out this year. LittleBigPlanet 3 will probably end up being my game of the year followed by Super Smash Bros Wii U (if it does launch this year).

Oh man.. it's been a good year so far!

Counting games released this year:

1. Titanfall
2. Dead Rising 3
3. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
3. Killer Instinct
(Joint 3rd - couldn't pick between them!)

My most played game in the last 7 months is still Dragon Quest X probably though.
Played a heck of a lot of FIFA 14 though.

Cloudy

Banned
Wolfenstein for a totally new game

If remasters are allowed:

1. The Last of Us Remastered
2. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
3. Wolfenstein
4. Final Fantasy XIV (PS4)

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U / 3DS

What...I got to play them.

Phinor

Even though it was disappointing compared to the original Dark Souls, I still have to say Dark Souls 2. So strong are those games, that a weaker version is still among the best games of the year.

Other notable contestants are TLoU Remastered (and this would easily win but I'm not sure I want to make it eligible), Divinity Original Sin (rising, but still not at the top) and.. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (on PC, the PC port is actually excellent, go and buy it!).

Still more games I'd like to mention: The Banner Saga, Might&Magic X, Titanfall beta (hardly played the release version, I need to give it another try), Diablo 3: RoS, Wargame: Red Dragon, Tropico 5. And a dozen others.

n0tail

Banned
Wasn't there a thread like this already?

Currently:

Game of the Year: South Park: The Stick of Truth
Runner-up: Titanfall

I have yet to finish The Last of Us: Remastered and I also believe Destiny will be strong contenders to dethrone Stick of Truth by the end of the year. Heck, I am feeling very optimistic for Evolve as well.

Kiyo

The Last of Us... again. There isn't a game better than it this year so far imo and there probably won't be just because of how great it was. If I'm not allowed to pick TLOU again though then I suspect it'll be Destiny.

It's a toss up between Guacamelee, Oddworld: New n' Tasty, Stick it to the Man and inFAMOUS: Second Son.

Honourable mentioned goes to Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

It's got to be DONKEY KONG.

Shovel Knight comes pretty darn close though.

I've mostly been clearing my backlog all year. Not a lot has come out that has grabbed my attention. Fully expecting Bayo 2 and Smash to change that though.

Phear

Towerfall. Endless Nights of Fun and Trashtalk!

For AAA i have to stick to Mario Kart 8, allthough i did only play it twice at a friends. Man, it's beuatiful, will get my own soon.

1. The Last of Us: Left Behind - Obviously can't pick it in the final GOTY voting but I figure it's fine in an unofficial list. Easily the best thing I've played this year.

2. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
3. Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns
4. The Wolf Among Us: Season 1
5. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
6. South Park: The Stick of Truth
7. Murdered: Soul Suspect

I enjoyed all seven, flaws and all, so there's no loser in there.

I've spent most of this year trying to get through my backlog though, as I want to get as much of that away as possible before buying a PS4 (which is probably a couple of months away).

Plasmids

I'm sure it would be Dark Souls 2 if I had played it but I haven't yet so.

Wolfenstein or TLOU Remastered I can't pick between them. Both amazing games that deserve multiple play throughs.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
As I'm still playing it I'd say FFXIV.

In terms of non MMO I'd say Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. What a great game.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Crimzon Clover.

Smite and Killer is Dead PC as my runner-ups.

2014's been even weaker than 2013 though, tbh.

Persona7

Banned
Dark Souls 2 so far. Nothing comes close so far.

Tomodachi and Shovel Knight are distant seconds.

Yet to play : Bayo 2, Xillia 2 and a few others I can't remember right now.

VLiberty

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare. The most original multiplayer experience out right now, and its surprisingly one of the most balanced multiplayer shooters available this year.

I'm thinking about buying it on PS3...is there local multiplayer (or local+online)?

OT, I didn't play too many 2014 games, as I don't have any of the next gen home consoles...if I were to go by expectations, I'd say Tropical Freeze

For those people who loved shovel knight, make sure to try 1001 spikes. It is a different style of platformer, but I believe it is a much better designed game.

Denton

Watch Dogs so far, I really loved exploring that virtual Chicago.
But I haven't played Divinity yet.

Finster

Probably Wolfenstein.

Destiny might change that.

This was exactly what I was going to say.

But then the other day I got the Elite: Dangerous beta. If that releases before the end of the year, it'll mean No Man's Sky and Star Citizen will have some HUGE shoes to fill.

Terrified

So far...

MGS:GZ
TLOU:RE

Can I count Fez? I never got the chance to play it first time around, and technically it was released for Vita/PS4 this year, so...

Jucksalbe

Banned
Crimzon Clover for me so far. I haven't played that many games released in 2014 yet, though. But it managed to beat Mario Kart 8 for me, at least until that game gets a proper patch.

Top Bottom